Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-31-2005, 02:14 PM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question on SU! Eyelets

Does anyone know if SU! eyelets are aluminum? I just bought the Provo Craft Silent Setter which is really great, but only works on aluminum eyelets. So now I can't use it with any of my Making Memories eyelets and I'm looking for a new vendor for eyelets.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2005, 02:51 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

All of the SU eyelets are aluminum, except for the gold ones which are brass.

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2005, 03:19 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

What are the MM eyelets made out of? I have a lot of those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2005, 04:48 PM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Red face Eyelets

I don't know what the MM eyelets are made of. I thought all eyelets were aluminum. However, I also bought the silent setter, and I love it. Some are easier than others to set. If I am having trouble, I stand up and put my weight into it. That seems to help. I had some red shiny ones that I think I bought at Joann's. They were difficult, but I got them. I also put a hole in my paper the first two tries.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2005, 06:05 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

The SU eyelets are a soft-set aluminum, which makes them easier to set. But in order to get the color correct on the gold ones, they have to use brass, so those are more difficult to set. I was given some MM eyelets from a friend, and I ended up throwing them out. They were just too difficult to set without splitting.

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Doodlebug eyelets are the easiest to set--I have tried at least five brands and I truly have found them to be the best. They can be found online at any of your "favorite retailers" and they come in yummy colors!!! And, they have lots of paper,brads,buttons, etc to match!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 02:33 AM   #7  
Vee
Hardware Hotshot

Default check out this eyelet place

http://www.eyeletoutlet.com/
the above site sells eyelest of every possible shape and size including military themes. Be preparred to see thousands of eyelest and brads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 04:40 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

The Silent Setter will set any eyelets - some you just need to put more pressure on it.

I don't understand what people are saying about eyelets "splitting" on the back. They are *supposed* to look like a flower when set. If they don't, they're not set properly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 04:57 AM   #9  
Mini Quack

Default question on S U eyelets

I have the Silent setter too and it DOES work on S U eyelets..I agree it does not on M M ...So I am lucky because I bought so many of the M M at a friends "fire damage" sale they were mot damaged, not even on the floor yet...anyway I also have the homepro table top model..it will set anything... but I like S U because they match...just read packaging in in a store if it does not say aluminum..then it is not..

Soni B
Live Life With a Smile
My Gallery
http://sonisfrontporch.blogspot.com/
Love being a part of MMTPTCC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 05:56 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Debra, it was news to me, too, but recently I learned that SU eyelets and some others, made of similar softer material do not have that split "flower-like" appearance on the back. I don't know that it matters, really, unless you are trying to just use SU products. I've always kind of liked the flower-look on the back! But, the harder ones are a little more difficult with the Silent Setter, from what I've seen, because they are designed to split on the back to set and the Silent Setter just uses a gentle pressure which doesn't split the harder metal easily, but works great on the softer stuff.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/spedabstbit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 06:08 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by tayloredexpressions
Does anyone know if SU! eyelets are aluminum? I just bought the Provo Craft Silent Setter which is really great, but only works on aluminum eyelets. So now I can't use it with any of my Making Memories eyelets and I'm looking for a new vendor for eyelets.
A few months ago, I ordered a whole bunch of eyelets from theeyeletoutlet.com and they all were aluminum. Good prices, excellent selection, and I was very happy with the service. I'm sure if you have questions you can just email them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 06:12 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

Default soft eyelets...

Happy Hammer, Coffee Break Design, Jest Charming, All My Memories, and, Scrap Arts are also soft (in addition to already mentioned S Up and Doodlebug). I love my Silent Setter ! The backs of my eyelets rarely show but I like the 'flower' look even when they do show. I think the eyelets lay flatter this way. JMHO

General rule of thumb: the top painted eyelets are aluminum. Metallic and all over painted eyelets are usually harder material. I have gotten good response with the on line vendors when I e-mail and ask what the eyelet I am interested in is made of.

It does take more pressure to set the gold and silver S Up eyelets but they still set easier than MM ones. I got rid of all my Making Memories eyelets long ago. Didn't even like to use them when I was still hammering !

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 06:20 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by spedabstbit
Debra, it was news to me, too, but recently I learned that SU eyelets and some others, made of similar softer material do not have that split "flower-like" appearance on the back. I don't know that it matters, really, unless you are trying to just use SU products. I've always kind of liked the flower-look on the back! But, the harder ones are a little more difficult with the Silent Setter, from what I've seen, because they are designed to split on the back to set and the Silent Setter just uses a gentle pressure which doesn't split the harder metal easily, but works great on the softer stuff.
My Stampin Up eyelets DO split into a flower pattern on the back. I think it depends on the type of setter you use. If you use the one from Making Memories - it will split into a flower - if you use the one SU sells - they will not (I think it is conical). The setter determines if they split or not.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 06:46 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

They way the back of an eyelet looks after it sets depends on the setter NOT necessarily the material it is made of.

Hole Punches: tends to fold over soft metal (looks as if it it rolled or evenly folded)
Silent Setter: splits back of eylet into quadrants(looks like flower with four petals)
Making Memories hammer and setter: splits eyelts into 8 pieces (looks like a daisy with 8 petals)
Noxon Spring Tools setter: splits eyelets randomly due to conical shape (random look when set)

To determine how a setter will set. Look at the end of the setter... the way a setter looks will determine how the back of the eyelet will look.

If the setter has a small point will lines radiating out.... theses lines are where the back of the eyelet will split - the more lines the more splits (or more petals). The fewer lines - the fewer splits (less petals).. ANd the ones with no lines that are conical only - these will perhaps fold or crimp the very soft eyelets and randomly split the harder metal ones...

Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 07:30 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

That makes TOTAL sense Katydog! Thanks for explaining that, I had no idea! Learn something new every day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2005, 02:48 PM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Red face Thanks Katydog

Katydogs response completely makes sense. I was thinking that, but didn't know for sure, so I didn't want to say. Now everyone will have to have more than one setter.
How could you possibly get rid of all of your MM eyelets? Surely you could have found a use for them. I hope you found them a good home!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always had trouble setting the MM eyelets as well, even with a hammer. After reading this thread, I went and bought the MM eyelet setter ($3 with my coupon from AC Moore), and it makes a huge difference. Just a couple of whacks and it's set.

Maybe now I'll use all the MM eyelets I've bought instead of throwing them out! Thanks, ladies!

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2005, 11:03 AM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Wow, i had no idea my original post would generate so much conversation. And so much learning! Thanks everybody for your response, I will never look at eyelets the same!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katydog
They way the back of an eyelet looks after it sets depends on the setter NOT necessarily the material it is made of.
Thank you so much for the tutorial! I've only used the splitting kind of setters before and didn't realize there was something different out there.
Reply With Quote Likes