Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Question of opinion! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/question-opinion-391148/)

SummerWar 10-18-2008 01:58 PM

Question of opinion!

Ok, here's a question for y'all!!! And read it carefully... LOL!

What do YOU think CASE means? I've heard 3 different "meanings" of CASE, and they all "mean" the same thing, just different words... So, which one do you think of when you read the word CASE?

Paige 10-18-2008 02:01 PM

I like "copy and selectively edit".

kdriesen 10-18-2008 02:06 PM

copy and steal everything

blondie090277 10-18-2008 02:08 PM

copy and share everything

Crafts 10-18-2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paige (Post 11737811)

I'm with Paige. :)

But I think the more common usage is one of these:
Copy and share everywhere.
Copy and share with everyone.

JodiAnn 10-18-2008 02:11 PM

Copy and steal everything!

Connie-Helen 10-18-2008 02:16 PM

Didn't think it meant anything else than a matter :-)
But, I am only a norwegian girl that is pretty new to Splitcoaster :-)

Now I know :-)

But, just to let me know....when are you using it?!?!?! If, you are lifting a card, or what????

Cathy H 10-18-2008 02:17 PM

I kind of think it depends on your audience --- for example, if I was inspired by some card here on SCS (as I frequently am!) and I made a very close copy of it HERE I would be sure to link to or somehow give credit to the original artist. HOWEVER if I was sending the card to Aunt Matilda who doesn't ever go on the computer, and doesn't stamp, the issue of "credit" might not come up at all. (So it's "Share" in the first instance and "Steal" in the second)

MaryR 10-18-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paige (Post 11737811)

yep this one for me, too! :)

SummerWar 10-18-2008 03:02 PM

you ladies are crackin me up!!!

i, too, use copy and selectively edit, because i rarely ever make a "too-close" copy of someone's stuff! i like too put my own touches on it!

scrubbybubbles 10-18-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerWar (Post 11738368)
i, too, use copy and selectively edit, because i rarely ever make a "too-close" copy of someone's stuff! i like too put my own touches on it!

This is how I do it too. :D

krystie lee 10-18-2008 03:56 PM

Copy and steal everything.

jgrabe 10-18-2008 04:07 PM

Well i just did a copy and steal card that Michelle Zindorf made. I posted it on the card when i uploaded it. Michelle has the most awesome tutorials and shows how it is done step by step. I am not good enough to do it without the tutorials, but i let everyone no that this is how i did it. So in a way i guess i steal.

kphorse 10-18-2008 05:38 PM

When I first came here, reading the threads, for months before I joined, I saw people say *CASE"* Case and steal everything....

SummerWar 10-18-2008 05:55 PM

i love michelle zindorf!!! she's great!

MSBetsyZ 10-18-2008 07:30 PM

Copy And Steal Everything was the original acronym. It's evolved a number of different ways depending on situations. As I recall, a lot of folks thought "Steal" sounded too mean...

cindy501 10-18-2008 09:01 PM

When I first joined, I had read that CASE was "copy and self express." Which means you are using a particular card for inspiration and adding a little of your own touches to it. I guess copying everything from the inspirational card without any changes could be considered "copy and steal everything" but I think most of us change a thing or two when we are CASEing.

blank canvas 10-19-2008 04:32 AM

Ranges from 'copy' to 'being heavily influenced by'-in writing it would be called 'plagarism' in my opinion anyway-unless credit was given. I realise most people do give appropriate credit when casing a piece, but not everyonen does, hence 'plagarism'.

blank canvas 10-19-2008 04:48 AM

Sorry me again!

Can I be pedantic (my natural state I'm afraid!). It can't be 'copy and steal everything' as clearly one does not steal 'everything' ie the actual materials/the project itself. All one is doing is stealing an 'idea'. Unless that idea is copyrighted, people are free to 'use/steal/take' etc that idea. Morally if it lacking in manners if one 'took' an idea and then used it elsewhere to gain credit/profit etc, but unless copyrighted-not illegal. As it's almost impossible to copyright this sort of 'idea' anyway as really are any of us in any way having entirely 'original' ideas, it's just basically gathering ideas in the main.

I visit alot of blogs where there is a big spiel about not copying the bloggers projects and passing them off as an original idea and in truth (gosh being either brave or stupid here) I think in 99.9% of cases it's all rather elaborate and frankly ludicrous. If you're a 'name', I appreciate the need to protect one's ideas and reputation but for the average 'man on the street' I find the whole 'my idea don't use it' thing somewhat over egging one's pudding!!! I have a blog (won't give info as boring I'm sure) and I NEVER give the 'my work' spiel as I'm not God and I'm not Michelangelo either.

I'm just an ordinary run of the mill person and the idea that anyone would want to copy/be influenced by anything I'd done makes me first gasp, then giggle nervously, then shriek 'no way!' then, if it really was true, I'd be thrilled and then finally feel sorry that the person copying/whatever my work couldn't find anything better than my shameful attempts at 'crafting'!!!!

KatarinaM 10-19-2008 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgrabe (Post 11738907)
Well i just did a copy and steal card that Michelle Zindorf made. I posted it on the card when i uploaded it. Michelle has the most awesome tutorials and shows how it is done step by step. I am not good enough to do it without the tutorials, but i let everyone no that this is how i did it. So in a way i guess i steal.

But wouldn't stealing mean you took something w/out permission? If someone posts a tutorial showing their fellow crafters how to recreate their projects and you do so, then I don't think that can be stealing. However if someone takes someone else's idea and recreates it exactly and claims it as their own, that would be stealing IMO.

Scrapjanny 10-19-2008 06:54 AM

I don't use the term, because I think it's ridiculous to post a project in a forum and then get upset because someone copies it. BTW, I think Copy and Steal Everything is the original meaning. You're not stealing the materials, but the ideas. But, like I said, since I don't think copying things that are posted in forums is stealing in the first place, I don't use the term.

frankie 10-19-2008 07:14 AM

I hate "steal." Bleh!
I much prefer copy and share everything. Now I'm really liking copy and selectively edit -- that's a new one to me!
And I'll totally agree that I just don't get the getting upset over someone caseing a project or card that you've posted in a public forum. Don't want it copied, don't post it.

blank canvas 10-19-2008 07:49 AM

In the UK:
'theft is the intention to permanantly deprive'.

Taking without permission and no intention of giving it back.:twisted:

Seeing ideas wherever, blogs, adverts, magazines, forums, sites etc, that's about inspiration, about garnering ideas. I really object to the word 'steal' as it suggests that it is wrong to gain inspiration from others, to see something and try it out for yourself. Casing ought to be a positive idea, it's about stretching oneself, or gaining confidence, or learning how to do a technique or shape of card for example. If i buy a home magazine and decide to re-do my sitting room akin to the magazine ideas I'm not 'stealing' anything. Once something's in the public domain in most (there are exceptions) it becomes public property.

Don't people post their creations on blogs/forums.galleries as they want to share (OK often want to show off!!)? If something's a secret don't tell anyone else-don't post on the internet where literally billions of people can see it and be precious about it! :confused:

Casing needs a re-launch! It needs a more positive image as it's misunderstood at present. I'm a 'caser' and proud of it!!:p :mrgreen:

Charlee 10-19-2008 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blank canvas (Post 11743826)
In the UK:
'theft is the intention to permanantly deprive'.

Taking without permission and no intention of giving it back.:twisted:

Seeing ideas wherever, blogs, adverts, magazines, forums, sites etc, that's about inspiration, about garnering ideas. I really object to the word 'steal' as it suggests that it is wrong to gain inspiration from others, to see something and try it out for yourself. Casing ought to be a positive idea, it's about stretching oneself, or gaining confidence, or learning how to do a technique or shape of card for example. If i buy a home magazine and decide to re-do my sitting room akin to the magazine ideas I'm not 'stealing' anything. Once something's in the public domain in most (there are exceptions) it becomes public property.

Don't people post their creations on blogs/forums.galleries as they want to share (OK often want to show off!!)? If something's a secret don't tell anyone else-don't post on the internet where literally billions of people can see it and be precious about it! :confused:

Casing needs a re-launch! It needs a more positive image as it's misunderstood at present. I'm a 'caser' and proud of it!!:p :mrgreen:

Amen, Sister!!! My sentiments exactly.

cjbapp 10-19-2008 10:00 AM

This is funny....I guess I always assumed it was:

Copy And Self Embellish

Haha...I never thought about the stealing part. :)

If I call something I did a 'CASE' I mean I liked their basic idea, layout, and technique but I did my own embellishing.

lauralooloo 10-19-2008 11:12 AM

I hadn't ever head of CASE until I came here. . .i always heard it called "scraplifting" . . .even if it was a card or project, and not a layout. And to me, it means that I "lifted" the idea of a project, and made it my own. (And gave credit to the original, wherever i shared it!) I don't think I have ever copied someone's project exactly as is. (Even if i set out to do so - it always becomes its own thing in the process.)

stampencamper 10-19-2008 12:43 PM

if I were a person, who didn't give the original I saw -credit; to me that would be stealing. If you're giving the person credit. I think steal is a snobbish term. If you don't want people to say they like your card, and case it; then don't share it on the site. I would be honored if someone cased a card

SummerWar 10-19-2008 03:05 PM

wow, didn't realize this was such a "hot" topic! lol!

i'm really liking copy and selectively edit, because that's what i do! i don't consider it stealing, cause you shouldn't put it out there if you don't want it looked at!

LMstamps 10-19-2008 03:12 PM

I also like "copy and selectively edit", because that is what I do when I CASE. :-) LM