Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Greeting Cards Aren't Going Anywhere

There have been several discussions I've seen here speculating that paper greeting cards are going away --they're not. See: https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/1...ican-greetings

Also recently we had a discussion here about whether people appreciate hand made cards. Several people said their cards were unappreciated. That conversation was a real downer for me. Imagine my surprise when my plumber and building engineer, each a "man's man," recently told me how much a handmade card could mean to people. My plumber, who saw my Christmas card mess still on my dining room table, was here to fix a valve. He told me a handmade card was sometimes better than a gift because of the thought that goes into it. He said people would probably keep them as heirlooms. My building engineer came in to supervise my plumber. Every year I make my building engineer a card in which I put his cash Christmas gift. He told my plumber he keeps all my cards, never throws them away. Well, slap me silly! I had to report that conversation here. All is not lost!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2018, 05:07 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

ooh YAY that is so nice when you get that feedback first hand from people, thanks for sharing!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,388 Likes on 519 Posts

That is awesome!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 07:30 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

That has to be one of the most heart-warming stories ever! Interesting sidebar: one of my daughters got a birthday card from her step-grandma and showed it to me and said, "This looks like it could be a card you made". It did, too - relatively simple, but with dimensioned layers and a twine wrap. Fascinating how cardmakers for years have tried to make their creations look more "professional and store-bought", while the greeting card industry is trying to imitate us now, apparently...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I make and sell sarcastically affectionate cards and sell over 2500 each market season so I don't think paper greeting cards are truly going away.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks for the article, Louisa May, and congratulations on two man’s men that admire your cards!
My mom made cards on her computer for quite a few years, but she now buys ones that look somewhat handmade. The birthday card she just sent me was all about glitter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 12:50 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks for this post, Louisa May! Such a wonderful story about the men you've made cards for! And that article was very interesting - and makes me happy! A Facebook birthday greeting is nice but sure doesn't lift the spirit like a card you can hold in your hands! Especially a hand made one : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,863 Posts

I have been making and sending Christmas cards for 15 years, maybe. This year, two of the people we send to wrote inside their cards, that they love receiving the handmade cards. One said she keeps each one she has ever received from us. I know my MIL kept the cards, but she never told me; she shared with my husband at one time, that she kept them in an album. So, all is not lost in sending greeting cards, even if it will cost a bit more.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

This put a big smile on my face! One of my most cherished possessions is the stack of cards I made for my mother. I found them tucked away; looking at them brought back memories of making them with such care so they would have a special meaning for her. I felt doubly blessed. And then finding ones I'd made for my Dad. Well, now I'm crying, but still smiling through the tears.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

What a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #11  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 610 Likes on 430 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I gave many card sets as gifts throughout last year and all were well received. I made a few Christmas gifts that were also very well received. I think our cards mean more to people than we think. In the end I enjoy making things and sharing so I keep doing it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2018, 09:14 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I have no idea what happened with all those "likes." I promise I'm not on drugs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2018, 05:03 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

A manufacturer’s rep who was filling in for someone at a store went way out of her way for me, including giving me her cell phone number in case I needed more assistance. She wouldn’t make a commission since I already bought the item. I just had questions and wondered if a nice cloth tote bag was available for storage. (She got one from her car and gave it to me.)

I knew she’d be at the store the next weekend, so made her a simple thank you card (Oxide blending, sentiment - inspired by a card by Kathy/Muscrat - and a handmade envelope in harmonizing paper, ribbon around envelope.

When she opened it she started to cry, said it was a little piece of art she’d keep forever and hugged me.

Just because we don’t see reactions doesn’t mean there aren’t any.

My own reaction begins as soon as I see that the envelope isn’t boring mail. A card?! Really?! Wow! From who?!

LouisaMay, there are hundreds of people here with incredibly different takes on everything, so don’t let others’ opinions get you down again. (Unless Oxide inks were no longer available; that would be the inky downer of all times.;))

Last edited by bjeans; 12-31-2018 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2018, 05:06 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

BJeans, consider your post "liked!" Love the tale of true appreciation for your art and act of thoughtfulness. Agree we all have to remember that people have different opinions and experiences. Sometimes I see posts that make me think something just got the poster down and they needed to vent. I've been on both sides of this issue, on the one hand hearing how much my cards are appreciated and on the other feeling like they're not given much thought at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2018, 05:18 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank you, and ditto, Chris. I made a sympathy card for a couple on our street whose dog had died. My husband ran into one of them and mentioned I made the card. The neighbor apparently said, “Really?!” like he was surprised. Neither said anything when they saw me. That’s okay; I wanted to make it, move on, next!
Reply With Quote Likes