Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Question about mounted and unmounted (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/question-about-mounted-unmounted-93377/)

mrsa1993 10-16-2005 04:14 AM

Question about mounted and unmounted

I love SU stamps, but I really love CTMH and TAC alphabets using the unmounted stamps and acrylic blocks. Is there a product that I can use to make my SU alphabets acrylic block friendly... some kind of something that I can re-mount them on to make them cling like TAC stamps?

TIA,
Ann Marie

Oh, and where would I get it?

Thanks!!

dgmlmax 10-16-2005 04:24 AM

Yes, you would have to remove the foam first. And then use a product from Sunday International, it is faom with the stuff that sticks to acrylic. I forget the name but if you look on their web site you'll find it. I hope that helps.

Dina

allee's 10-16-2005 04:54 AM

The best I have found is EZ Mount Static Cling Mounting Foam. Many people carry it. One source is

www.stampin.com

needsmorestamps! 10-16-2005 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgmlmax
Yes, you would have to remove the foam first. And then use a product from Sunday International, it is faom with the stuff that sticks to acrylic. I forget the name but if you look on their web site you'll find it. I hope that helps.

Dina

Yes, this is what I do also. It's called EZ Mount and their website is www.sundayint.com

I've ordered from them many times and have been very pleased with service. They also sell CD cases if that is what you would want to store them in. Also, if you are a demo they will give you a discounted price ;)

Jan in ID 10-16-2005 10:13 AM

You can also just apply vinyl cling to the back of the SU stamps as they are. I do this with all of my SU stamps and it works great!

You can do a google search to find where to buy it or go to eBay. I bought a giant roll off of eBay.

If you pm me your mailing addy, I will send you a sheet to try out!

kthaman 10-16-2005 10:28 AM

Another option is to remove the foam and use either repositionable tape (like 3M) or repositionable glue (dried to tacky on the back of the stamp).

I prefer these methods because it removes the next layer of bulk (after shedding the wood block) and allows me to store even more in the same space.

mrsa1993 10-16-2005 10:29 AM

Jan,
So you mount your stamps on vinyl cling instead of the wood? Is that how it works? Also how do I get my stamps off the foam... microwave?

Thanks!!

AM

stampysister 10-16-2005 11:10 AM

I have unmounted all my stampin up stamps. I don't find the need to use the microwave on them. It does not seem to improve the ability of the adhesive to let loose of the rubber. If it is going to stick and leave fuzziness, it does either way. Just carefully start peeling away. If the adhesive sticks and the foam tears, leaving a fuzzy back, use some "undo" and scrape the leftover fuzz off with a credit card or one of those cool scrappers that you get with stoneware from Pampered Chef.

I've used all the systems out there, from static cling plastic, to repositionable tape, to Halos, to Aleens tack and retack, to Acrylic clear stamps, to Sunday International's EZ Mount. All of em. In my humble opinion, EZ mount is the best, with Aleene's tack and retack coming in the close second.

Static cling plastic does not consistently stick and seems to lose it's cling after a while. I liked this one the least. Sometimes it doesn't stick well from the beginning. Acrylic stamps seem to get a residue on them that makes them eventually not want to stick. If you already own these stamps and want them to stick better, use some Aleene's Tack and Retack Glue on them. It dries clear. Halos is hard to keep clean and obscures your line of sight. Repositionable tape cannot cover the entire back of the stamp and still be economical so parts of your stamp are unadhesed (although I'd say this is #3 on my list).

The only time EZ Mount is not the best is in really, really small stamps (like less than 1/2 inch total size). With those little 1/4" alphabets, they can woble a bit on EZ Mount. For these, it is best to either mount them on a wooden dowel with no foam, or use Aleene's Tack and Retack Glue (Joann carries this....)

Good Luck

tnd151 10-16-2005 12:21 PM

I use aleene's tack and retack glue too.

mrsa1993 10-16-2005 12:38 PM

Thanks everyone for the information and advise. I went to www.stampin.com and found out they are about 45 minutes from my house. Perhaps I will go there and check out EZ mount. Unfortunately some of the stamps I wanted to remount were small alphabets, so we'll have to see how that goes.

Thanks again!!
AM

Jan in ID 10-16-2005 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsa1993
Jan,
So you mount your stamps on vinyl cling instead of the wood? Is that how it works? Also how do I get my stamps off the foam... microwave?

Thanks!!

AM

You don't remove the foam.

You just mount them as they are onto the vinyl cling. They stick well for me. If they start to get where they are not sticking, I just clean the vinyl with some windex and they stick again.

kthaman 10-17-2005 04:49 AM

Quote:

Also how do I get my stamps off the foam... microwave?

With the SU stamps, most will come off without microwaving, but I do have some stubborn ones. I do try to microwave them, but they still leave little bits, which I remove best I can then I spread my tack-it glue over it...I've never had any issues with having little bits on the back.

Quote:

Unfortunately some of the stamps I wanted to remount were small alphabets, so we'll have to see how that goes.

I use glue for my regular stamps but found it very difficult to use on my mini alphas. The best thing I've done for my alphas is just to use the double-sided tape. I stick a piece of tape on a small square acrlyic block and leave it there. When I want to stamp I take the rubber alpha and place on the taped block. I leave the tape on the block and use it until it won't stick any more, then I replace it.

Lisa Loiselle 10-17-2005 12:49 PM

TAC also sells Creative Cling separately. It's a little more than EZ Mount I think, but it does work great. I love working with unmounted stamps, but I can'e imagine converting my 120+ sets of SU stamps - wow!

Joan B 10-17-2005 12:55 PM

It's wierd. I tried the unmounted with ez foam and the acrylic blocks and hated it. The ez foam is excellent but I really missed having the image on top of the block. I know that makes no sense. Keep in mind that there is a market (ebay??) for wooden blocks so don't throw them away!!