Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New - Need help with General, BASIC Questions

I made some cards as gifts for friends over Christmas. I bought the plain white and ivory one's from AC Moore and decorated them and tied all together with organza ribbon and they were well received. I want to move beyond decorating the plain white and ivory cards. So, do you make your own blanks from cardstock or do you buy pre-cut paper that is the right size? Secondly, what do you do for envelopes? See, very basic questions, but you have to start somewhere!

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Jenny
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I make my "base" card with a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 inch cardstock cut in half. Then score it in the middle and you have a "base" card in any color you choose. Plus you can make two cards with one sheet.. one to give away and one to keep.

I highly recommend the Stampin' Up! cardstock. It is always a consistant quality and you can get ink to match all 48 colors! If you are not sure what colors to start with, try an assorted pack of colors.

Hope this answers your question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 05:59 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

When I started stamping I bought my cardstock from Walmart (8.5 x 11). I cut it in two so each sheet made 2 cards....or one card and I used the other half to matte etc....
Now that I've been stamping awhile I use Stampin' Up cardstock. It's quite a bit heavier than the Walmart kind and I can match it to my inks etc. Right now I buy my envelpes (Invitation ones) from Staples Business Depot or from Grand & Toy. Any office supply store will carry the invitation ones, you'll just have to look around for the right price. Stampin' Up does carry them as well.

Good luck and have fun ! I still remember the time when I stepped out of my box and started exploring the world of stamping I haven't looked back since.........and the ladies on this site are so incredibly helpful and give tons of inspiration !

Shelley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Walmart also has the invitation envelopes.

Whenever I feel blue I start breathing again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 07:06 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

HI Jenny, Welcome! I see this was your first post!
I like to cut my Cardstock in half like those above posted, however remember there are two ways to do that.
Lengthwise or widthwise, if you cut it length wise the measurement will be 4.25 x11.00
Widthwise will be 8.50x 5.50.
Both of those cards once folded will measure 4.25 x 5.50. That is the general size of the cards made that you will be looking at in the gallery. It does allow for two cards per sheet as well as the stamps are sized for this size card too!
I too highly reccomend Stampin' Up! Cardstock and not just because I am a demonstrator...it truly is a notch above all the CS you will find at Walmart.
And if you contact your demo this month or next and buy one package of each of the assortments, one package of white and one package of vanilla and two stamp pads you will have alot of cardstock for card making, two new pads of SU colors that you will love to use and you will earn a FREE stamps set, there are six to choose from! Yet another reason I recommend SU! Papers, Inks and Stamps, there are perks!!! THese next two months a promotion is given by SU called Sell-A-Bration and for every fifty dollars you spend you will earn one of those six sets for FREE! And you can choose which one you want!
OK so now that you have a HUGE post to read! LOL Sorry, I hope you ask any other questions you may have I will try not to be so longwinded next time! LOL :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 04:14 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Default One more question....

Thanks for all of your help! I currently have enough cardstock to pave my way to the moon, but when I need more, I certainly will try SU's.

So, does anyone make their own envelopes with the SU templates? For fancy invites, etc, I think I would want to use matching cardstock.

Keri, we are neighbors! Well, sort of....I live near Raleigh, NC. Spent many a weekend in Charleston. A lovely city.

Jenny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 04:29 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Jenny! We are almost neighbors!! I don't ever make my own envelopes, I have had some gals send me a card in a matching envelope made out of CS and it was open and hard to keep it closed much less all together! You need to use envelope paper...
But what I do is stamp either up the left side or in the bottom left corner of my envelopes and that makes them look all the more special!!! See it here at the link to my gallery

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

what do you think? I think that makes it look fancy and special!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 04:44 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Default Envelope

Keri, that envelope is beautiful!! I did stamp on the closing part of the envelope in those sets I gave out (you know, the little triangle flap on the back). Not in a colored ink, just in black. Gotta buy some pretty colored stamp pads.

What size do you use if you want to make larger cards?

Also, I used my Creative Memories tape runner to adhere the layers onto my card. Do you use glue or tape?

I will include any more questions in a new post to the forum!

Thanks again, everyone.

Jenny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 04:48 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Re: Envelope

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyH
Keri, that envelope is beautiful!! I did stamp on the closing part of the envelope in those sets I gave out (you know, the little triangle flap on the back). Not in a colored ink, just in black. Gotta buy some pretty colored stamp pads.

What size do you use if you want to make larger cards?

Also, I used my Creative Memories tape runner to adhere the layers onto my card. Do you use glue or tape?

I will include any more questions in a new post to the forum!

Thanks again, everyone.

Jenny
I hardly ever make larger cards but 5x7 is nice and I have seen some long thin cards like that would fit in a business size envelope... they are really neat!
If you want lots of colors but are limited on the amount on money you can spend SU makes GREAT little pads called Stampin' Spots they are about an inch square and come in the four color groups that SU! sells...my customers really like them!
And as for tape runner, well, I am not sure what they used.... I like CM runner and I also like the Mono, Snail Adhesive is what it is called now... it really is great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 04:56 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Default Last Question - stampin spots

Very last question - I promise!

So, how do you use the stampin spots on larger stamps? Are they raised so you can just rub the whole stamp over them or is there some more mysterious method of applying the ink? Are they re-inkable? I have a friend that is a SU demo in Colorado that had mentioned she really loved the spots, but I never got to discuss it further with her.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 04:59 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yup! They are raised just like our full sized pads and are reinkable with our reinkers! You also gain the option of using them to make large stamps multi colored with them
I have attached a document that lists all their uses and what they are all about.... I think it was put out by Colleen Kidder She is an awesome list maker!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 05:00 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh and don't worry! We love answering questions! So ask on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 05:35 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't really have any words of wisdom to add for Jenny, but I do need to hijack this thread for a second (sorry!). Keri, I think you must be the nicest, most helpful person in the world! Even though the majority of us on here have never met you, I can pretty much guarantee you've been a huge help to all 20,000+ of us SCSers. Thank you so much for your patience and kindness!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 05:51 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

:oops: awww thanks Irish, I am now blushing five shades of red and my eyes are all teary! I am so embarassed and there is no one here even looking at me! :oops:
Thanks for making my day, heck my WEEK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 06:58 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ditto to what Irish said..

Regarding envelopes -

Making them from cardstock might be a bit stiff and heavy. SU has pretty patterned papers, too.

I purchase my "everyday" envelopes from Office Max or Staples when the have the BOGO specials and the invitation size comes in white and ivory.

However, when I want something really nice, for example my Christmas cards or my daughter's FHC invites, I'll use the SU envelopes. The have them to match all of the neutral cardstocks. They are nice quality, too.

BTW, most stampers/scrappers are really friendly and LOVE to answer stamping/scrapping questions, so ask away. We were a new to stamping once.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Default Question for Keri

Keri~

I am fairly new to SU! But, just from reading forums, I see your face a lot and it seems that you are very helpful, so I have a quick question for you. What is CASE? I see this all over forums...but I can never find where then is spelled out or explained. What do people mean when they say they are going to CASE something?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2005, 12:42 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey There Shorty,
Copy
And
Steal or Share
Everything

CASE
There is a huge list of commonly used Acronymns somewhere...if I can find the post I will bump it as well as make it a sticky...so look at the top of the forum page for a sticky having to do with Acronymns
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2005, 12:49 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

CASE!! I know this one! CASE comes from the old saying 'Copy And Steal Everything' Among the stamping crowd, it just means you're going to or have already copied that idea from another .

Shannon
Reply With Quote Likes