Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crystal effects

I have a bottle of this stuff and I don't know how to use it. I have seen so many examples on this site that have listed it as an "accessory" but I am having a hard time finding instructions on how to use it. Is there a tutorial out there that shows a specific technique? I found a thread where some one suggested using it as a glue for glitters,and beads. Is that it? Help!:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

I don't use mine much, so I probably won't be too much help, but if you put some on an image, it gives it a nice, glassy finish to it. Add a little, get a shiny finish. Add a little more, you get a "bubble" look (don't add tooo much!).
You can apparently use it with reinkers to customize brads, but this didn't work for me. You can mix it with glitter or reinkers for a pretty look. I'm sure someone will help you out more than I have!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #3  
Duchess of CBCs

I found this somewhere, probably on SCS... anyway hope this helps...

Crystal Effects
(Also known as 3-D Crystal Lacquer)

Crystal Effects is water based, easy to clean up and is an easy way to enhance any rubber stamped art project. Best of all you can apply Crystal Effects to areas you would like to looked raised whether it be on paper or plastic!

Tips for using this product are:
* Prior to use, at least 5 minutes, I place the bottle upside down in a coffee cup, letting all of the air bubbles rise to the top, which now is really the bottom of the bottle.

* Once I start slowly applying the Crystal Effects, I try to NOT pick the tip up off of my project until it is completely covered. Viola . . . no air bubbles. For me, the key is move slooooooowly. It may take you a little longer to get all of you work covered, but the outcome, to me, is well worth it!

Other Ideas for Use:
Besides using Crystal Effects straight from the bottle to give a raised effect, there are other ways to use it.

#1: Layer it on with a paintbrush to give a smooth glass-like finish.

Spot Gloss: Apply a thick layer of Crystal Effects directly to the stamped image with the applicator tip. Let dry completely (about 30 - 60 minutes) before handling.

All-Over Gloss: Use a paintbrush to apply a thin, even coat of Crystal Effects to the entire image. Let dry (about 3-5 minutes).

#2: It is just one of the products I like to use for sealing my Shrink Art Pins.

#3: After applying it to an image, sprinkle a little Dazzling Diamonds glitter on top. This is great for adding sparkle to candle flames or camp fires.

#4: To give it color, add a drop or 2 of a re-inker.

#5: Use it as glue for poly shrink plastic embellishments, beads, feathers, and bows. It is very strong, great for adding hard to hold magnets, pin backs, and wire to your stamped projects. Be sure to let it dry completely before handling. To make marble magnets purchase those glass marbles/pebbles that have a flat side to them. Then use the circle punch to create the perfect shape to place behind these see-through marbles. Stamp desired image on the card stock circle and color it in. Apply Crystal Effects to the flat marble and then press onto the stamped circle. (Applying the Crystal Effects to the marble instead of the stamped image will keep the image colors from smearing.) Apply a bit more Crystal Effects to the back of the circle and then attach the magnet to it.

#6: Use it to glue vellum to card stock. It won�t show through. I�ve found the best way to keep vellum from wrinkling or �popping up� after application of CE is to apply it with a fingertip or Q-tip applicator in a very thin coat, not just straight from the bottle.

#7: Make Glitter Gloss.
Materials: Crystal Effects, Ultra-fine Glitter, Old paint brush

Directions: Okay, this is really simple. Squirt out some Crystal Effects onto a scrap of acetate or other non-porous surface. Using a toothpick, stir in some glitter until you have the consistency you want.

To Use: Using a paintbrush, brush the glitter gloss onto your stamped art, stamped tiles, polymer beads, etc. When dry, it gives a glossy and sparkly look to your art. Try using this to add glitter to snowcaps made with liquid applique, add highlights to ornaments, Valentine hearts, etc. Anywhere that you want to add a bit of sparkles. You can also use this same homemade glitter gloss on hand painted ceramics.

#8: Simulate dew on a petal by adding little droplets to flowers. You can also add it to the petals of actual dried flowers or fake plastic ones. This really does look like dew and you won't spend a fortune buying designers ones from stores.

#9: Use the applicator tip to apply a thicker layer of Crystal Effects to "select elements" of your design to add emphasis. Apply a second or third coat if your first layer was not standing up off your paper enough to please you. Some ideas are to apply it to leaves, flower petals, insects, teacup, umbrella, window, eyeglasses, Christmas ornaments.

#10: Highlight only special lines on an image such as the squiggle on Fruit Medley. Use the Strawberry and stamp it in red. Stamp the inside of the strawberry red as well. Use the Crystal Effects to outline the squiggle line that is used to fill the strawberry.

#11: Use it to create a stained glass window effect. Stamp image on window sheets, using AP pads (AP will dry on plastic without embossing), let dry thoroughly (over night is best), then use the tip of the CE bottle to move it (CE) around to cover each individual area with a thin layer of the CE. While it is still wet, dump on glitter. Only do one color of glitter at a time. let each area dry at least an hour before going to the next color.

#12: Use it for "fray check" on the ends of your ribbon after you have cut them to the desired length.

#13: Place on top of Radiant Pearls and get a pearlescent shimmer and shine.

#14: Fill in things after you've embossed and colored for a real "pop"!

#15: Use it to re-glue any stamps that have either come unmounted from the foam or that you took off the wood block because you wanted to trim and re-mount.

**Most of all . . . experiment!!**

Cautions:
*The only complaint I have heard about this product from other stampers is the air bubble that can happen when this product is not applied just �so.� To alleviate this problem apply slowly and do not lift tip from surface during application until you are finished. This way there are no air bubble being �blown in� to your work.

*Do not use heat tool to speed dry time. It becomes extremely �bubbley� and unattractive.

* Tip may become clogged. To prevent this you can unscrew cap and rinse with warm water, dry and replace cap. You can also use a piece of plastic coated wire in the tip as you seal it. This will keep an open pathway and it won�t clog. Be sure to wipe tip of the bottle first so the pin won�t be �glued in.� Also be sure you don�t use a standard straight pen because over time it will rust and color you CE to a wonderful �rust� color. (Unfortunately I learned that the hard way.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #4  
Duchess of CBCs

Acetate and Tissue uses Crystal Effects.. There is a tutorial in the resources section.

Alison
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2006, 10:14 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

You can do anything with it or at least a lot of things!

I use it with a paint brush and dip it into my glitter and then paint the glitter where I want it. Just rinse out your paint brush frequently and don't use your very favorite water color brush.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Or you can use it to just apply a glassy look over an image of part of an image. I did the eyes of these insects and it just makes them look really cool in person, just squeezed little blops over the desired part to be covered you could also use a tooth pick for more controlled application.

Unfortuanatley I don't think the effect shows up in scans as well as in person.
So use your imagination, squeeze it on in a fine line or a tiny blop or apply all over a card.

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile WOW

THANK you Thanks you Thank you Thank you ! You are amazing!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 06:33 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the information on crystal effects. I have a brand new bottle & didn't know exactly what I could do with it. Now I can play around with it & come up with some neat cards. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Default Awesome

Thanks for the tips. I too bought a bottle of the stuff way back in January and had no idea re: what to do with it. Now I know. I am going to use it on one of my pages starting tomorrow. I love that there are so many good ideas on this site!
Reply With Quote Likes