Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Punch won't release (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/punch-wont-release-585057/)

basketdiva 03-06-2014 09:12 AM

Punch won't release

I was punching a piece of cardstock with the SU blossom punch. The punch won't release to let me get out the paper. The flower punched out but now the punch is useless. Anyone know how to fix it or if that is even possible.

SkyNacho 03-06-2014 09:21 AM

Stick it in the freezer for a bit-- the metal should contract. If it doesn't work, no harm, no foul.

basketdiva 03-06-2014 09:36 AM

Thanks for the idea but it didn't work.

PaperManipulator 03-06-2014 09:40 AM

I drop mine from maybe six or so inches high, and it usually pops back in place.

indyemmert 03-06-2014 09:42 AM

I have also hit a punch really hard to get it to release.

BathBelle 03-06-2014 10:40 AM

Sometimes I can get it to release by pushing really hard with the points of an old pair of scissors - carefully!
Ruth

gregzgurl 03-06-2014 11:37 AM

I've been known to throw a punch on the floor... (not really recommended, but I felt better). If/when you get it to release, I'd recommend trying to lubricate it in some fashion. I hear tell that wax paper works. I'd be inclined to use silicone spray, but I know that others have cautioned that you could wind up with residue on future punch-outs. I would just wipe and punch until there was no residue, myself...

basketdiva 03-06-2014 12:28 PM

Throwing it om the carpet worked! Thanks for the idea.

dini 03-06-2014 01:03 PM

LOL! And did you feel better like Sue? :)

QueenOfInkland 03-06-2014 03:57 PM

Yep - I usually give stuck punches a good whack against a hard surface....

LOL @ how many of us do this - who would have thought?

harvestmoon 03-06-2014 06:28 PM

I wouldn't throw something I paid for onto the floor. You take a pair of kitchen scissors...sturdy blades...and poke the surpressed metal from the bottom, pushing it back up into place. Those punches seem to continue that sticking practice, any lubricating I tried showed up on the next punchie. I like them so much I just continue to push them back into place.

GWTW Junkie 03-07-2014 06:48 AM

I throw mine on the floor, too : ) Who knew??

Rachelrose 03-07-2014 09:12 AM

Now I'm dating myself, but there was a time when, if the TV went on the fritz, you went up and whacked it on the side. It usually worked.

I like to think I take good and attentive care of my "things", but sometimes inanimate objects need a little reminder to behave. ;-)!

jukie 03-07-2014 10:55 AM

giving it a good bash worked for me as well...made me feel a hundred times better as well!;)

sunrisea 03-07-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketdiva (Post 20550056)
I was punching a piece of cardstock with the SU blossom punch. The punch won't release to let me get out the paper. The flower punched out but now the punch is useless. Anyone know how to fix it or if that is even possible.

How long ago did you buy it? If recently, contact SU about a replacement. I had the same problem and threw it on the floor several times before it would release; being a demonstrator having to do this did not encourage anyone to buy it! I contacted SU and they replaced it.