Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-02-2018, 11:04 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Problem: Fun Foam & Shakers

I posted this in technique section with no reply. So, I ask for help here. TIA!

Just got an idea to make heart shaped shaker cards. Bought nesting heart dies, cut everything out. Used 2mm fun foam that I doubled sided with scor-tape. When layering, the fun foam piece had grown somehow and showed. OMG! I had to cut on the inside and outside edge to get it not to show. It was so time consuming because of the narrow width I was working with. I have searched on SCS and learned that the foam has to rest. But it did. What did I do wrong.
What do you guys suggest? I wanted a time saving method. But fixing this up was a mess. Please help. TIA.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2018, 03:13 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

Can you try cutting the size of the hole opening in the frame heart for the topmost layer to be a size smaller than the hole you have for the shaker bits and pieces?

( I am assuming that you can redo this card)
that is just my first thought about the whole thing. I when I started making shakers people used double sided foam tape and you just stuck it to the backside of your topmost frame layer so, if you didn't get all the nooks and crannies tight you ended up with shakers that shook loose haha :mrgreen: )

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2018, 04:35 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

That's crazy - I've never heard of resting it, but I do cut mine smaller than whatever it's underneath.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

I posted a reply on your original thread ;-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2018, 11:42 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Running fun foam thru your cutting machine will flatten the foam and make it bigger.

I either use coaster board (sold by Papertrey Ink) or cardstock, and cut enough layers to stack and allow room for the shaker bits to move around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Seems like forewarned is forearmed here.

Now that we know (I learned too) that die cutting fun foam can make it flatten/spread...how about cut it and then cut it down before attaching it to your die cuts? Trying to trim it when it was already attached would be bad! I would guess the "resting" is just allowing time for it to plump again? But depending on the brand/thickness-it might not?

I also learned to do shakers with DS foam tape and then using some baby powder on the edges. If you want, you can cut it in half and then it will curve easier if you need it to though usually I have to piece it around curves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #7  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Seems like forewarned is forearmed here.

Now that we know (I learned too) that die cutting fun foam can make it flatten/spread...how about cut it and then cut it down before attaching it to your die cuts? ....
That's pretty much what I said in my reply on the OP's original post. I was trying to keep it in the more relevant forum ;-). The on-site tutorial for the surprise shaker card recommends trimming down, it even suggests that if there are stitching lines on the die they provide a good guideline.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2018, 03:26 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tu😚

Just want to thank you guys for helping me out with the foam issue. I thought using it would make life simpler. Lol! I have made only one shaker card in my life (I think) and that was eons ago, with foam tape and onsite instruction. Here are pics of my disappointment. Still unfinished. The original size started off much bigger. OMG! So, now with all of your advice and encouragement, I will try again. This time, I will cut a smaller frame for the window of the shaker. This will be easier. I did however try to trim the foam from the inner edge of the heart but think I did more damage as it kept stretching out. Amazing how you can't figure out things when you are repairing. SMH! That's why I immediately sought help here on SCS. Will follow up with the success. Think I also used too many sequins🤣🤣🤣

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2018, 03:43 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks great.

FYI: I recently learned that to keep stuff from sticking to the foam inside the shaker, after to attach the foam run your embossing buddy along the foam. The powder wont let the sequins stick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 12:58 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavagetwinView Post
I posted this in technique section with no reply. So, I ask for help here. TIA!

Just got an idea to make heart shaped shaker cards. Bought nesting heart dies, cut everything out. Used 2mm fun foam that I doubled sided with scor-tape. When layering, the fun foam piece had grown somehow and showed. OMG! I had to cut on the inside and outside edge to get it not to show. It was so time consuming because of the narrow width I was working with. I have searched on SCS and learned that the foam has to rest. But it did. What did I do wrong.
What do you guys suggest? I wanted a time saving method. But fixing this up was a mess. Please help. TIA.

One way to keep craft foam from expanding is to use something like StickIt on both sides of the foam. The adhesive will help it hold its shape and not flatten out. HTH

Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 08:17 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi,
I remember learning that if you heat fun foam that has been flattened with a hair dryer it will bounce back. I think a heat gun might be too hot...not sure. Before I got a silicone shim for my die cutting machine I used foam sheets and would puff them back up; but you can only do it a couple or a few times then it stops working. This might be worth a try in this case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I recall Jennifer McQuire has a video using foam, and said that if you leave the foam to rest it puffs up and goes back to its original shape. I never play around with foam after it’s been cut. I also wonder if not all fun foam is created equal, because apparently some glues react differently wth the foam.

I really like what you can do with this product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #13  

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cre8ive MindView Post
Hi,
I remember learning that if you heat fun foam that has been flattened with a hair dryer it will bounce back. I think a heat gun might be too hot...not sure.
I do know that heating fun foam with a heat tool will shrink it. Jennifer McGuire had a video (or else it was a class for Online Card Classes) on doing just that. It puffs it up (makes it thicker), but also makes it smaller--kind of like shrink plastic!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting....I just heated my dollar store fun foam and it just puffed back to normal from flat, but it didn't shrink. Maybe if you heat it hotter or longer or with a different type it does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

I recently made this Valentine shaker using fun foam and had the same problem. But before assembling, I laid the card front over the fun foam, traced around the bits that showed, and then just trimmed them back with scissors - it was a pretty easy fix.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 04:14 AM   #16  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I, too, had the same flattening and peeking problem when I used fun foam to make shaker cards and I got so frustrated! I started using foam adhesive strips from Stampin' Up! and I find that to be easier. I can bend the strips to whatever shape I need, then I use an embossing buddy around the edges, like others have mentioned, to prevent the shaker elements from sticking to the strip edges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

What a fun shaker card you've created! Like you, I haven't made one in a very long time, but your valentine is a perfect reason. Glad you're getting some help from those who use fun foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I jave just made a shaker wedding card i did it with DS foam tape was a nightmare and fun foam (needed 2 of sim card)
Was going to be my next go as i thought would be quicker than cutting card stock frames i got too many gaps in the frame and stuff mostly the micro beads went everywhere also i forgot to use embossing powder tool thingy before adding the stuff sequins beads etc
This meant that they stuck to the foam tape
In end i fixed it taking all thr foam tape off and starting again with it this time doing the tool i also added more
Mine is just a rectangle but has a hill piece which bicycle with girl and boy dressed as bride and groom lawn fawns bicycle built for you set attached and a banner
Its anniversary card two different anniversaries one for my husband and a friend is buying the other one for her anniversary had such fun making it but just a bit of a pain!
Have to see how my fun foam reacts and will use DS tape i so it won't shrink!
This has been very helpful
This card was my first go i dont have pictures yet will upload when its finished
Reply With Quote Likes