Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sewing machine help

I am looking at getting a sewing machine this will be my first sewing machine I am pretty much lost I wanted to put it on my christmas list but I havbe no idea what to tell my hubby I want.
I am going to useing to sew cloths and household things like curtins and such also i would like to be able touse it for cards and scrapbooking is that ok to use the same machine for both things or do I need to get 2 differnt ones.
I was looking at the huskystar C20 but I can not find a price for one anywhere.
I just really have no idea what I really need any help would be great thank you.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." - Benjamin Franklin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I know JoAnn's sells those. I have an older Kenmore from around 1984 and it's been fine for the few times i use it and the simple things I do. I have used the Bernina models before and they sew so smoothly! I would love to get one of those someday. Maybe mine just needs to be tuned and oiled! Good luck, how fun to get a new sewing machine!! If you have a JoAnn's by you, they have them on display and you can try them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I have a Kenmore also that I have had since 1985. It has been a great machine and I have only has it serviced once. Since you are just starting out, I would suggest trying a good but not to the extreme expensive machine (Bernina, Pfaff, Baby Lock, etc.) You might look into getting a Kenmore or Brother sewing machine or maybe even a White sewing machine and graduate to the more expensive ones after you get the hang of sewing. One item I highly recommend to anyone who sews, is a serger. It finishes your seams (overlocks/overcast) just as commercial machines finish store bought and it is great for sewing on knit fabrics, home decor...too much to get into here, but once you serge, you'll never want to sew without serging. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Man, I hate those typos... I spell checked, guess I should have done a grammar check also.....(I have only had it serviced once)ha-ha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 09:14 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I have a 9 y ear old Pfaff that I am very happy with. You can use the same machine for sewing paper and fabric. You may want to change the needle more often if you're sewing a lot of paper, though, but it won't harm your machine at all.

I would suggest looking in your local want ads for a used machine. That's how I found mine... it was hardly used and very cheap for a good machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

I have a Brother that I bought about 3 years at Costco!! Was the best deal that I ever got. It is simple enough for a beginner to use but yet it has alot of features!! It came with a bunch of accessories.

I would check the local warehouse stores like costco or sam's club they usually have really good deals!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 11:56 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Here's a neat website and you can put in info about your sewing machine needs and then a list appears of sewing machines that would be appropriate and user review.
http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/

Glenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2006, 04:11 AM   #8  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Visit your local sew and vac. They know all about them and can demonstrate them for you. Have a price in mind to spend as sewing machines runn anywhere between 200 and 2000$. that is what I did. I was thinking of spending about $700 but got a discontinued model of a nicer $1000 machine, for less than $600.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2006, 04:30 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Check and see if you have a Freecycle group in your area. Someone posted in my area they were getting rid of a Singer Sewing machine (an older model, but works great), that I got for FREE for card making purposes.......(it also works great for general sewing purposes)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2006, 04:31 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a basic Janome and it's a great machine. Look for one that has metal parts inside; they are heavier, but they last longer. The inexpensive ones that Walmart and Target sells have parts made of plastic. I agree with Vee...your local sew and vac will have a great selection of new and used machines and that's where I bought mine.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes