Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone made a YouTube video?

I really fancy making a You Tube video on some stamping techniques and various craft videos. I am not really sure where to start and I thought you all may be able to help..

What cameras do you use to film with?
What video editing software do you use?
Do you like music playing in the background or do you prefer to hear the instructions?
What puts you off straight away when you click on a clip?
What do you like to see in a clip?

Please share your clips with me.

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use a Canon Powershot S2. You can use any digital camera as long as you can download the file to your computer. When the file is compressed through Youtube, the quality is quite poor. There's a lot of pixelation. I have never looked into troubleshooting it because I decided to use Cyberlink Movie Editor (also to create introduction/ audio voiceovers/ music backgrounds) and I publish it to be compatible with MS Windows Media. You might want to google "How to make a youtube video" or something similar to find some tutorials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I have made a few youtube videos and use the flip camera and the software that comes with it to do the editing. I talk during my videos and try to explain each step that I am completing. You can see them under jacque1263. My friends and customers enjoy them and they are very helpful as most of them are visual learners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks Jacque, working my way through your videos they are great! Are you filming in natural light? How have you set up your flip? Is it on a tripod?
Thanks Polyshrink Goddess for your tips.. I am a long way off yet but if I do get round to making a vidio I will let you know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I haven't made any videos nor do I plan too however, I can provide some comments on what I like to see when watching them. I truly enjoy watching videos to gain more exposure to stamping, techniques and cardmaking. You will want to consider how you list your videos, for example words like: Stampin Up, cardmaking, papercrafting, rubberstamping. This will make a difference on how many hits you will get.

I visit YouTube atleast once a week.

- I like when the instructor put's a "description box/tag" along in the video with the measurements. Not really sure what you call it.
- I like when the instructor shows the finish project at the begining and at the end of the video.
- I like to go to the person's blog/website to see the finish card since the video is not really clear enough to see the details.
- I don't like music playing in the background if the instructor is trying to explain the project.
- I don't like music playing if someone is "just doing" the project while we watch. I usually turn it off or down.
- What do you like to see in a clip? Projects I mention above. I enjoy seeing projects/techniques which has not be done by others.

Hope this gives you some insight to what I like when watching the videos. I'm looking forward to seeing your videos in the future.

Last edited by wardd; 03-12-2009 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 04:08 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I have a fuji camera with a video option. My first one, I needed better lighting, and should have postioned the camera to be able to view at better angles. The 2nd one was a bit better. I want to make more, but havent had the time.
Good Luck, and have fun
Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 04:16 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I have a few videos up. I started with a video camera, but I always forget to charge it, so I've just been using my digital camera. I edit my videos with either Pinnacle Studio or Windows Movie Maker. It depends on what "effects" I want to add. If I'm talking during the video I don't put music on it.

I need to record a video today, but I'll have construction workers banging on my house, so I guess it'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 04:30 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to second the comments by Wardd. I agree with her completely!!! I feel she stated what is most important very well. No music!!!! It is supposed to be a craft video, not a music concert.

It is most helpful if written word can be put at the beginning or end or during on the screen the measurements of each step. Also speak clearly.

Be sure you are doing things properly...for instance, if you fold something, be sure to score it first and crease it with a bone folder, not your fingers.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Be sure you are doing things properly...for instance, if you fold something, be sure to score it first and crease it with a bone folder, not your fingers.

Patti
You don't have to use a Bone folder to fold card stock.. Every person has a different way of doing things.. There really isn't a right or wrong way to craft! It's what works best for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use my Kodak Digital camera and my Flip Camera.. I edit my videos in my Windows Movie Maker program..

I like putting a photo of the project at the begining and then again at the end..

I put mesurements and general directions on the screen.. All of my videos have music.. But I won't be doing that anymore because it's a pain to have to go back in and change the songs due to copyright issues..

Now Why I don't always like Just voice videos and like Music ones better!!
Not to insult anyone but sometimes I can't stand the persons voice, you know they just have one of the voices.. Or they are speaking and you can't hear them.. And sometimes there is silence if the video goes to long while they are creating the project..

I would do music or talk, just make sure you use a microphone or talk close to the camera. Explain the directions well if it's a not so easy project..

Have fun though.. Make it your own..

I have several videos on YouTube and I really enjoy making them..

http://www.youtube.com/user/stampingholly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty redView Post
Thanks Jacque, working my way through your videos they are great! Are you filming in natural light? How have you set up your flip? Is it on a tripod?
Thanks Polyshrink Goddess for your tips.. I am a long way off yet but if I do get round to making a vidio I will let you know.
I am using the light from my dining room which is a fixture with light bulbs in it. I am also using an inexpensive tripod that is set up on top of my dining room table. Glad to hear that you are enjoying the videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have not made any videos but I love videos with music, its a shame most can't use music anymore due to copyrighting. I just like to see how someone throws together a card. If its a complex card/technique then I would rather have someone explain it and also have the measurements in the side bar! Excited for your videos!
Reply With Quote Likes