Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-10-2007, 05:08 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gamsol and Prismacolour pencils

Hi girls

Now I know there have been loads of threads about this but I now need some more definitive info please, so all you who have some gamsol and prisma pencils (preferably with a tin etc) can you get them out!!!

What I need to know is what is in the gamsol (ie what is it made off) and also what is the alternative that I have heard people are using please? Does it smell etc?

Also the Prisma pencils what are these exactly ie watercolour or non soluble etc I would be eternally grateful also can anybody give me any alternate manufacturers for these as I have never seen any called prisma

I went to my local art store in the next town and stood there and thought blimey I can't remember anything I have read, I asked about Gamsol and like I thought they had never heard of it, well I do live in UK but there must be somethink like it so this is why I need some more info.

Many many thanks for any help you great girls can give me

Hugs

Alex xx

My blog - http://sillybirds.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2007, 06:43 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I haven't used Gamsol, but ordered an alternate product called Zest-It which someone posted about in one of the SCS tutorials. This person (sorry I don't recall the name) was an artist and talked highly of the Zest-It. I searched on the internet and finally found a place I could order it. The label says "Zest-it Pencil Blend - A Natural Solvent that is safe, non-flammable, non-toxic and evironmentally friendly." It gives a nice blend with the Prismacolor pencils.

And, guess what... it's made in the UK! My order was shipped very quickly to the US and they had great customer service. I ordered it from http://www.jandtblackman.ltd.uk/

This might be an option for you if you can't find the Gamsol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Gamsol is a brand name. What you are looking for is 100% odorless mineral spirits. In the U.S. another brand name is Mona Lisa. On the front of the Mona Lisa jug it says odorless paint thinner. If you read the ingredients on the back it says 100% mineral spirits. It does not smell.

The prismacolor pencils are not water color pencils. The mineral spirits break down the pigment in the pencils to help you blend the colors. Check out sweetmissdaisy's blog here for a great tutorial on this technique. She's the Queen of the gamsol technique IMHO!

http://sweetmissdaisy.typepad.com/sa...cks/index
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I'm a total newbie at this technique, but I'll tell you what I know (gleaned from the dozens of posts on this topic!)

Prisma is short for prismacolor -- a brand of waterproof colored pencil. Other brands that I've heard people recommend that works well is RoseArt or Crayola, but just make sure that they are NOT watercolor. I did not buy my prismacolor pencils in the tins because it was cheaper for me to buy the individual pencils that matched the SU colors (listed in this post). I ordered my pencils from www.dickblick.com. Scroll down the page and you'll see the individual colors. I don't know if they ship to the UK, but they also sell Gamsol and the blender stumps.

Gamsol is a brand of odorless 100% mineral spirits. I bought a brand called Mona Lisa and the label says Odorless Paint Thinner. I looked at the ingredients section on the back and it read "100% mineral spirits." That's what you want to dissolve the colored pencil. It really doesn't smell at all, which is great, but you still have to be careful about getting it on your skin, breathing it in, etc. I also bought a little round plastic container (like a travel-size bottle) in the art department that is double-walled and has a tight lid. I cut a piece of felt to fit in the bottom and I squeeze a little bit into the tub. This is a whole lot more convenient that having to work from the larger bottle of mineral spirits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2007, 07:32 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Wow, girls what can I say but a huge and tremendous thank you very much - this is great info and I will be trekking up to Dorchester (which is where my local arts shop is on Monday morning, yipeeeeee) thank you so very much hopefully they will have something that I can use

Hugs to you all for your great responses

My blog - http://sillybirds.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I'm sure that you could probably find ebayers that are willing to ship overseas. The best deals for the pencils are on ebay with the 120 set going for about $50 or a little more. IMHO.....get as many as you can afford. I thought in the beginning that 15 greys was rediculous but find that I use most of them. There are about 5 each of cool grey, warm grey and french grey. I use them the most for shadowing as well as sepia.

All OMS are not the same. You want to get an artist grade no matter what brand of Odorless Mineral Spirit you get. Regular ol' paint thinner is not safe enough for long exposure.

Also.......of great importance are your stumps. Made in Taiwan or Creative Mark brand are a must! No Made in China. The difference is substantial in easy of use. One wicks the OMS and blends supurbly and the other doesn't.
Reply With Quote Likes