Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-23-2005, 12:27 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Why is SU more well known than CTMH?

I got interested in stamping through a CTMH demo, back in 2000, when CTMH still used wood mounts. A group of us at work became stampers. When I got into the real world, I heard about SU and went to a party and of course bought stuff. I'm not loyal to either one--I spread my stamping love among a lot of companies! I'm not saying one is better than the other, but over the years I've noticed everyone who stamps has heard about SU, but not about CTMH. Why is that? Does SU do more advertising/marketing? (I do not want this to turn into an argument about one company is better than the other though!).

Paula O.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 12:36 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know, but all I can say is here in Billings, I have never met a CTMH demo nor ever seen a catty. I know they are out there, but I just don't think there are as many.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 12:37 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Default TAC

I wondered the same thing when I heard about The Angel Company. Maybe SU has been around longer?
Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 12:41 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I think it just comes down to the fact that SU has more customers. I won't shop with CTMH because the images in their catalog aren't full size. I can't visualize what the full image will look like. I don't think CTMH markets themselves nearly as well as SU. Also my personal opinion is that CTMH images are more cutsey, country, or cartoonish than SU which is another reason I don't use them. I must say, I'm seriously debating an alpha set from CTMH though. The acrylic thing just seems the way to go for alphas!

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 12:42 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Personally, I think SU is bigger. I ALWAYS see them advertise in CK Magazine, amoung many others. I don't often see many CTMH Ad's.

Now I am bias, so you can take this with a grain of salt lol....but I LOVE SU and think that no other company even compares!!! heehee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 12:49 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I didn't begin to get many crafting mags until I came here and I hadn't heard about CTMH or TAC until here. I've never been to a party nor did I even know what the other companies were about. I went to my first SU party about 4 or 5 yrs ago, but didn't really get into stamping until about 3 yrs ago. Most people I know haven't heard of the other companies either.

I agree with Stampalicious about SU being a larger company. I see ads for them all the time, and never see any for CTMH or TAC. I don't even know what they have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 12:50 PM   #7  
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Frankly, I'd never heard of either company before stumbling into this forum.

Logical reasons(?):

I'm older than most of the ladies on the board, therefore am not involved with the home party circuit

My kids aren't interested in crafting

My craft projects have been geared toward needlework and decorative painting, both of which I did professionally

I don't get out much...

Sigh, guess I'm just going to have to break down and call the Demo I found at the SU website and ask if I can get a catty, otherwise I will continue to be in the inkiness of ignorance about sooooo many things.

Rainsong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 12:51 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile CTMH

When CTMH first came out it was called D.O.T.S. (dozens of terrific stamps). Then they got into more scrapbook stuff and changed the name. I like both companies plus MANY, MANY more!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 02:12 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryJo Marshall
When CTMH first came out it was called D.O.T.S. (dozens of terrific stamps). Then they got into more scrapbook stuff and changed the name. I like both companies plus MANY, MANY more!!
I wondered what had become of D.O.T.S. I knew a demo once, but I just never got into stamping back then.

I have known about SU! for almost 2 years. My demo works with my mom and my sister in-law had a show when we moved back to CO. That show got me hooked! I just like SU! stuff. That's all there is to it! I have looked for stamps from other companies, but they don't appeal to me for whatever reason. I'm sure that part of the appeal with SU! is that great big catty with TONS of great ideas in it and actual size photos. I see something new in there all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 02:28 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Every company has good and not so good. I don't love everything by SU, just more of their stuff is my style. I started with DOTS many years ago and had never heard of SU so it goes both ways. I consider myself very loyal to SU but it's because of their quality and the coordinating colors, no doubt about it. I have bought CTMH and TAC catalogs for the samples. Even though I don't have that exact set, I can use the idea with something I do, which is what we do even from the SU catalog.

As far as bigger, in my opinion, the number one reason is the coordinating colors. That is a 'customer servicing' idea, i.e. give them what they WANT which creates a NEED. The number two reason is a huge business idea, i.e. top quality consumable goods that they NEED over and over again (as above) combined with stellar customer service. That's what makes a #1 business. You create a need and service them as the Golden Rule dictates. (I wish I had used SU as my model company for the marketing class for my degree!)

I'm not trying to imply anything bad about other companies by applauding only SU. This is just my opinion of why SU has succeeded. Recently both CTMH and TAC have come out with sets that have made me want to bend my 'stick with SU' thoughts. I consider that a good thing, they've been just cutesy in the past but they are coming out with some really awesome stamps. I say more power to them! Does it matter who is bigger as long as they are all providing an awesome product and awesome customer service?

In my often not so humble opinion - Linda T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 02:55 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

I heard about CTMH well before SU because I have friends who became scrappers early on and LOVED it. Eventually I heard about SU, which resonated with me because it was about card making, gift making, stamping on whatever you wanted. SU has over time started to cater to scrappers by offering a more complete 12x12 paper selection along with other scrapper must haves. When I first started buying SU 7+ years ago, I went to ebay to find "old" idea books. They are filled with cutsey/country stamps the equivalent to what CTMH has only recently cut back on. I think SU caught the trend of more stylish stamps along with a "coordinated" products which appeals to a larger base of consumers. I think CTMH just didn't change itself fast enough and now is catching up. But if you talk to any scrapper, they will often recommend at CTMH consultant to a beginner scrapper--just because CTMH has been focusing on that for SO long. IMO

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 03:29 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation TAC

Well as far as The Angel Company goes. It has only been around since 1997.
I first heard of them 2 years ago, from a online friend in another stamp group. She sent me a sample stamp and I try it. And Love it!
And SU has been around for a lot longer. They place more ads in Stamping Magazines.

I think TAC is still improving their ads in Stamping Magazines.

As far as CTMH I never heard of them until 2 years ago, I liked! the wood mounted stamps. and would probably buy them *IF* they still sold Wood mounted stamps.
I don't like the acrylic stamps that they sell, I think they cost way to much for what you get...(just my opiniion!) And I don't like the image that you get from them.

I chose TAC or SU because I did not think I could meet the Quota that SU has for their Demo's.
I also wanted a company that would let me sell at my own pace. Which right now it"s "slow."

I think all 3 stamp companies have something for everyone!!!!!
I Don't think that one is better than the other!!!!!

Don't let the thread end with me.......

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 04:03 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

LOL! Hey girls...check the back cover each month of CK mag for the CTMH ad. There's been one on it each month for ages!

Suz
CTMH Sr. Exec. Manager
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 04:18 PM   #14  
One TOT Mom

Quote:

Originally Posted by txblueyes
I wondered the same thing when I heard about The Angel Company. Maybe SU has been around longer?
Becky
CTMH (DOTS) has actually been around the longest....20 years!

I had heard of CTMH years ago through a firiend that I stamped with but that was it....never met a demo, never saw a catalog, nobody I knew ever had a party....It was very easy to find out about SU and spread even more since then!

I decided to become a SU demo b/c I LOVE their stuff and wanted almost all of it. I haven't had that with other companies. I can buy somethings here and there, but def. there is not a NEED factor. I also like that SU has not changed their stamps. I am all for rubber mounted on wood. Even if storage was an issue, I would store my wood mounted rubber under the bed and in the shower! I like that SU does not go with the trend but stays with quality.

I also think that you are right in ? marketing and advertising. I have seen ads for lots of other stamp companies, but I think SU does a really good job of having VERY eyecatching ads and also getting their samples and stamps into magazines through submissions and designers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 05:02 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure why SU is bigger than CTMH overall, but I do know that I have not been able to get reliable customer service from two CTMH demos in my area. CTMH also needs to improve their shipping times and I need to find a demo in my area that can deliver the type of customer service that my SU demo has provided me. I just find that my SU demo is passionate about stamping and especially about SU products and that SU is a solid customer service based company that backs her up.

Just my two cents.
Take care, Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 05:09 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I got into stamping through a DOTS demo who lives in the mountains in the summer where I do. I don't remember how I came across SU but I really like their style of stamps and my friend is no longer a demo so that may make a difference. I also like the color coordination SU has. I'll buy from any company that has a product I like but I'm leaning more all the time to SU. My .02 worth.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 05:35 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I haven't heard of CTMH except mentioned here. I would like to know what CTMH stands for? And where can I get a peek at their stuff?

I heard of TAC as soon as I joined this web board, but haven't seen any of there stuff. My first Stamping experience was Stampin' Up!, I love what I see in there catalog and haven't even looked around.

However I was just thinking tonight I should get a TAC catalog.

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 06:28 PM   #18  
One TOT Mom

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksullivan
I haven't heard of CTMH except mentioned here. I would like to know what CTMH stands for? And where can I get a peek at their stuff?

I heard of TAC as soon as I joined this web board, but haven't seen any of there stuff. My first Stamping experience was Stampin' Up!, I love what I see in there catalog and haven't even looked around.

However I was just thinking tonight I should get a TAC catalog.

K
CTMH is Clsoe To My Heart and you can check them out at their website www.closetomyheart.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 06:42 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I went to a D.O.T.S party YEARS ago and bought 2 stamps, and 2 ink pads. I didn't use them until about a year later. I would give anything to have my first couple years of cards back (I really stunk). I didn't really get into stamping until I was introduced to SU. I still buy from both companies, but I buy SU more often. I think the thing that hurts CTMH is the lack of great stamping sites on the internet. I don't know why that is, I know there are a lot of CTMH demos out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2005, 02:27 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my very first stamps at at DOTS party in 1994! I had a good demo and began a nice collection along with several friends who were also instantly hooked. A year later we moved to Korea for 2 years. By the time I returned to the states, the name was changed to CTMH. I managed to locate a demo in a neighboring town. I am a CM scrapper and was a demo at the time - and since I wasn't interested in the stamping side of scrapbooking, she wasn't interested in doing a party for me or in selling me anything personally. I haven't seen a CTMH catalog since 1995, and except for a conversation with that demo on the phone, I haven't run into a demo or customer of the company that I know of in 9 years!

They were off to a good start, and their stamps were really cute. I still have several of the stamps I bought back then, and use them once in a while. I'm not sure the name-change was a good idea. I know that was a long time ago, but considering how well the company started, they really ought to be more competitive now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2005, 06:05 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

in my area, west central Iowa, SU! isnt heard of at all! I was turned on to stamping by a DOTs demo, then my dd's daycare provider signed up and and enabled me.. by the time I had heard of su I was so used to pre assembled stamps, I didnt give them another thought..
so I dont think SU is bigger or more well known than CTMH, just depends on the area you are in.
Lory
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Default West Coast

It seems like DOTS/CTMH was in California long before SU. In fact, I'd only seen SU stuff when I went to visit my mid-west or east coast friends. I think different companies have different areas of the company that they, not necessarily focus on but, are better known in. It's pretty logical, actually. Let's say a fictional town, which we'll call STAMPTOWN, has no stamp demos. Then, a SU demo moves to town. She has a few parties and get a few other people thinking about demo-ing. Pretty soon, the town is fairly familiar with SU. It's only when those stamp-a-holics go looking on the net do they found out about all the other companies. Which ever company got their first usually takes the area's market.
Reply With Quote Likes