Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-11-2004, 08:43 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life without a stamp-a-ma-jig

I have the hardest time trying to make things line up and wonder if I really need the stamp-a-ma-jig or if there is a cheaper way to keep things straight on the page. For example, I have the By Design set and see great, perfect samples in the gallery using the polkadots and the swirls and they are all lined up and look seamless! (great job guys!) But if I were to attempt this it would come out either too far apart or on top of each other. I got the set thinking it would be a great alternative to buying a full size background, but now I hardly use it for all this fear! Maybe it's a personal problem, but thought I'd throw it out there. Do you think the stampamajig is the solution to my problem? Is there life without a stampamajig
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 08:52 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I am interested in the answer to this one too.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 08:55 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Default stamp a ma jig

Yes get it, it is a frustration saver.
I also recomend the stamp a ma jig for people with vision problems of any kind. I have a lazy eye, I cannot do two step stamping without it. Watercolor minis drove me crazy at first, now no problem. It works also for layering two stamps above each other, or for putting words straight in a small space. I put furniture in the truck from Loads of Love. Couldn't have done that without my stamp a ma jig.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 09:02 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

The Stamp-a-ma-jig is FAR superior to the other types of stamp positioners I have used. Besides having a non-slip bottom, the depth accomodates any stamp. I'd be lost without it. Use a coupon and go for it - you won't be sorry!

Linda

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 09:02 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd recommend getting it. I held off for quite a while (I tend to like to stamp without making it complicated as that sucks the fun out of it). Once I actually started to use this tool, I could not live without it now. The other posts say it well - no more frustration!!! It's really pretty simple to use and the alignment is perfect every time! HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 09:03 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I thought I could live without it and tried for a few months. I finally used my Michael's coupon and got it for 40% off. It was well worth it. I love it! The first time I showed it to my friends and my hubby they were in awe. It's especially great for getting letters lined up, too.

If you can afford it, get it. You won't regret it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 09:23 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup! Get it! If you're not a demonstrtor, use the 40% off coupon at Michael's...it's the same tool, and would be much cheaper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 09:54 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I think buying the stamp-a-ma-jig is money well spent!! Mostly, I use it to help me keep the stamps steady - I've got tendonitis and/or carpel tunnel problems in both wrists. When it comes to lining things up, generally, I just eyeball-it. To make it easier to do, I have my stamps mounted with the rubber at the bottom of the blocks so that I can see the edge of the image when I'm stamping plus I line my stickers up with the image - as close to exact as I can get it so I can tell where the image is going to be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I LOVE it! Get it if at all possible! I don't know what I would do without it. (yes, I do: make a lot of mistakes and throw away a lot more cardstock).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Well......I lent mine out (won't have it back until next weekend) and I'm about to cry without it. It would have made making my swap cards SOOO much easier. I miss it!!

It was indeed money well spent!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 10:13 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I actually have never used the stamp-a-ma-jig for my own stamping, although I do see the great benefit of it. I actually finally ordered one this summer and am using it at a show next week, but I still have not used it for my own purposes..

I guess when I 2-step stamp I get way down to look as I stamp practically laying my head on the table..lol! and for backgrounds I use wheels for mainly..

I am glad I have it and know how to use it though.

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 10:15 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Life without a Stamp-a-ma-jig

Absolutely could not stamp without it!!! I got mine at Michael's and it's worth every penny (even full price w/o 40% off coupon). In the past I used a T-type ruler and it worked ok, but the Stampamajig is superior in that there's no slippage (or very little, depending on the cardstock used). One thing I've found very helpful...instead of using the acrylic square that comes with it, I cut vellum (thinner stock) into smaller squares/rectangles, stamp an image on the smaller piece and then keep the piece right in the stamp set for future use. (The problem with using the acrylic sheet provided is that you are constantly washing it and restamping.) Also, you can stamp more than one image on each cut piece of vellum, depending on the size of the stamps. For really small stamps within the same set (like Itty Bitties, Mini Mates) I've even used all 4 corners of the vellum! I tried using tracing paper and it worked ok, but wasn't as substantial as the vellum, it wrinkled easier, and didn't hold up. Oh - another great use for the vellum-stamped piece is that, since it's transparent, you can hold it up against other images to see if they'll work together size-wise, e.g., whether an image will fit inside a frame/shadow, etc. It also allows you to combine images together, like I recently was able to place a teddy bear on a chair using the Stampamajig and masking technique. I really do use mine almost every stamping session.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 10:21 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Default stamp-a-ma-jig

I have one, have used it ONCE....after reading all your comments I am wondering why I am letting collect dust? Prob time to get it out and try again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 10:48 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Yes, you must get one! I find it so easy to fill in a spot that I missed when I "ramdomly" stamp a background.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 10:50 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Oh my gosh... GET ONE!!!! I could not live without mine. Itsaves me so much frustration and wasted cardstock.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 11:02 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Default funny

It's funny you posted this...I got my michaels coupon yesterday (50% off) and I rushed over there and was going to buy the stamp a ma jig, had it in my hand, carried it through the store and left without it cause I debated if I really needed it! Now I know I do it's only 5 bucks I can handle that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 12:10 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

okay - never used one - have just seen it in the catalog. i don't understand... does it come with instructions? what is that plastic sheet for? someone gave me a hand-me-down stamp t square thing i've never used either. will that do something for me? guess i need a good demo around. mine doesn't do much but place a big order for me twice a year or so...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 12:23 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow, maybe I should dust mine off again... I have heard of using window sheets to make permanent placing sheets, especially for alphabets, but vellum is a good idea since I wouldn't have to use Staz-on on every single stamp I want to do that with.

Mostly I have used it when I made a mistake and stamped an image incompletely... with the stamp-a-ma-jig, I could get an exact overlay to clean up the image. I guess I am a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants stamper, and since I have to pull everything out of closets to stamp for a bit, I try to get away with pulling out as little as possible (I live in the California Bay Area, where space is a premium).

With two-step stamping... I always feel like it adds to the charm and "hand-made-ness" of a project if things are a bit misaligned. Even printed material, if done in two-color, can be misaligned.

Anyway, great to hear all of the different opinions!
Caroline
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 07:33 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Default SAMJ

Great suggestions, Glittergal! Thanks for sharing them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 07:39 PM   #20  
CRAZY DAISY

I never even thought about a stamp-a-magig until this thread pulled up I guess I never even thought about what you would use it for, but now I'm very interested in purchasing one I'm a demo and if it's a s good as you say then I could probably sell quite a few of them thanks so much
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2004, 02:09 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stampinmarni,
To use it, you first line up the inside corner of the tool with the outside corner of the plastic imaging sheet and stamp your image on the plastic by lining the stamp up with the inside corner of the tool. You then place the plastic on your CS, making sure to place the image where you want it. Without moving the plastic, again line up the tool with the sheet, then carefully remove the sheet, and stamp your image on the CS using the inside corner of the tool as a guide.
Whew! That sounds really complicated, but it's quite easy once you've done it a few times. I use mine all the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2004, 03:04 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Default stamp a magig

I can't get this. I was wondering if anyone has a step by step card that they can show how to do this. I have tried so many times and flopped. I am a visual person. They should have a tututorial on how to do this.
Many people feel the way I do. So hopefully someone can help us stampamagig helpless people. I am going to try this again after I read everyone's comments how easy this. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2004, 03:21 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I tried one at a stamp camp and did not love it at first use, does it get better once you use it a few times?
A former demo told me to line up the stamps in the corner of the wood block so you have a better idea of where they are when stamping and this usually helps me out - but I don't have many 2 step stamps since I don't like it when they don't turn out!

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2004, 03:37 AM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

jackgofoxy1 wrote:

Quote:

I can't get this. I was wondering if anyone has a step by step card that they can show how to do this. I have tried so many times and flopped. I am a visual person. They should have a tututorial on how to do this.
I did a google search and found this visual tutorial on using a stamp positioner. Even though it's not be the Stamp-a-ma-jig used in the example, it's really the same process. I hope this helps. Linda

http://www.intersurf.com/~redstic/R101/Mark.htm

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2004, 03:39 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

happyheart - thanks so much for those instructions - i understand now. i ran out and used my coupon at michaels to get one and will give it a try this week. thanks again for your time and words...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2004, 04:27 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

I tried one at a stamp camp and decided I must be stamp-a -ma-jig impaired. I could not get the hang of it, but the other ladies there loved it and most bought one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2004, 04:43 AM   #27  
Goober-E LOST-E

I have another type of stamp positioner that I find very effective.
I have to admit after reading these posts now I feel like I "need" the stamp-a-ma-jig instead!!

I found a great site with step by step instructions in case anyone else is still confused as to how it works and what it does.

http://www.stampinart.com/library/te...ampamajig
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I still don't have one...but am thinking of making one.

So...I found instructions and photos here to make your own stamp positioner.

Has anyone tried to make their own?

Want to join the SCS Fan Club?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2005, 11:04 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

I love mine so much that I bought TWO (just in case). I didn't use mine for the 1st year I had it but once I did, I just couldn't stamp without it. I pretty much use it every time I stamp now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2005, 11:37 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

My memory's a little fuzzy, but I thought I read somewhere that you can use the wheel guide as a stamp positioner by putting two segments perpendicular to each other. Then you have one tool and two uses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2005, 06:25 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Definitely get it. I had mine for quite awhile before using it, thinking it would be too much trouble. Now I realize that I spent more time "eyeballing" the placement of a stamp than it takes me to use the Stamp-a-Ma-Jig. I join the many others in endorsing it!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2005, 07:11 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Default Stampamajig

I use my stampamajig all the time. I couldn't live without it. I bought the package of extra sheets and some of the stamps I use all the time I keep stamped on them. I use the black classic ink to stamp on them and use the Staz On cleaner to clean them off. There have been so many times that I stamped something and the whole image didn't get on my project. With the stampamajig I can redo the image and you would never know I made a mistake. I just only wish I could get my customers to love this item as much as I do. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2005, 11:18 PM   #33  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Another thread resurrected from last October!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2005, 04:42 AM   #34  
PAPER SCAPER

I own the acrylic T ruler style, (link to photo) I bought it for a few dollars at the resale and it's the best few dollars I ever spent. I also made a couple with wood similar to what is in your link. I gave them to retired ladies on a budget. Make sure the wood isn't higher than your stamp blocks or it isn't going to work, your fingers won�t be able to hang on to the stamp as it goes down to the paper.

Also to stop any skidding you can use the left over rubber scraps. Take the foam off and if the sticky doesn�t still work just use two way tape and attach it to the bottom. I had bought some non skid pads on clearance at Michael�s and used those on my T ruler. You can get them at department stores too.

I also use the T ruler as a wheel guide for cards. I don�t do bags or wrapping paper so the length works fine for me. I have seen the same item in Michael�s for about fifteen dollars so I got a real deal on it and it does double duty!

I linked another site that shows a different style from your link. (link to photo) This would work well if your wood is higher, then you can hang on to it similar to how you would use the jig in the SU catalog which I have seen at Joann�s for about eight to ten dollars and with a coupon you�ll save more and be able to buy the next set of SU stamps you want. Good deals benefit everyone!

I like Carol's idea for the extra sheets. I use a flat acrylic and it's to thick. I talked with a lady that uses just tissue paper and it works fine for her and she said to stand up when you're lining it up in the positioner corner and it works better that way. She stores them in with her stamps and it's always ready when she needs it.

I hope this helps you and I'm tired of typing now! And it is neat how these old post pop up once in a while. Nothing ever dies here at SCS! A world of information at your finger tips!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2005, 04:56 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
Another thread resurrected from last October!
LOL

I guess it's good to revisit some of these topics every now and then. I wonder if she ever got the Stamp-ama-jig and if she can't live without it.;)
Reply With Quote Likes