Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Please help! What do you do when the center of your flower gets inked by accident? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/please-help-what-do-you-do-when-center-your-flower-gets-inked-accident-171789/)

mrshungria 08-05-2006 11:01 AM

Please help! What do you do when the center of your flower gets inked by accident?

It's the inside, hollow part of the flower of my brand new polka dot posies set and I was wondering how I could prevent it from happening. I've only made cards with buttons covering them up, but I don't want this to keep happening.

TIA!

Bagpuss 08-05-2006 11:59 AM

If I were you, I'd unmount the stamp, cut out the troublesome middle bit with a scalpel, and remount it. Or you could try cutting it out without remounting it - I haven't tried. Hope this helps - let us know how you get on please! :)

Islandmomma2 08-05-2006 12:04 PM

I guess I would stick a brad in it. Can you mask it off?

Consuelo 08-05-2006 12:09 PM

You could try cutting it out with a hobby blade, or not stamp so hard. :D

Shelley Davis 08-05-2006 02:24 PM

One other thing...you could ink up if you still get ink in the middle clean with a Q-tip or a baby wipe. I would personally cut the center out with a hobby knife.
Shelley

indyemmert 08-05-2006 02:57 PM

Try turning the stamp upside down so you can see where the ink goes. You can stay away from the center that way. HTH!

row4d 08-05-2006 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consuelo
...or not stamp so hard. :D

That would have been my advice -- the center isn't that big, so the only time this happens to me is when I press the stamp too hard into the ink pad! :p

Boss 08-05-2006 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
That would have been my advice -- the center isn't that big, so the only time this happens to me is when I press the stamp too hard into the ink pad! :p

I still would cut out the offending center! I had a "handstamped by" stamp that did this and I put up with it for years before cutting out the center - it took all of 2 or 3 min to do and the problem was solved.

I wouldn't unmount the stamp to do this, just sneak in with a sharp pair of pointy scissors and snip away the rubber -- you don't need to remove the foam underneath; if you get rid of the rubber in that area it will no longer pick up the ink and make a mess.

kphorse 08-06-2006 03:27 AM

A little pinch of play dough works great for me! I have two flower stamps that I want the center a diffferent color. I bought a big container of PD at the $$ store and just pinch a tiny bit, put it in place, ink up, flick off the center and stamp. Then I finish with a marker!

HTH

lisahenke 08-06-2006 04:26 AM

I too have this happen with this stamp. I am careful not to push too hard into the ink pad, and I try to roll the stamp around in a circle so the edges only get inked. I just know now that this is a stamp I have to turn over and check before I stamp. If there is ink in the middle, I have to wipe it off before I put it to my cardstock.

twinks 08-06-2006 05:09 AM

I'm a newbie as well. Sometimes, I've found that when its not me, the ink pad is the culprit. :D

For this stamp tho, I was too afraid to cut the center so I just peeled it off and remounted (pressing the center down first and smoothing petals outward and it seems to have worked.