Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Planning a craft room. Sink? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/planning-craft-room-sink-627554/)

Libmama 01-08-2019 11:08 AM

Planning a craft room. Sink?

How important is a sink in my craft room? I’m in the planning stages. I’m thinking of lighting, size of work table, rolling versus stationery chair, etc. Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Cook22 01-08-2019 11:35 AM

As someone who works in an attic up a ladder - I'd say yes, yes, yes to a sink! There are some things I will only do downstairs (like gel printing) and that means hiking all my paints and stencils downstairs for an afternoon. Plus anything like stencilling with pastes or paints, I have to make a quick and careful descent to get stuff washed quickly. If a sink is an option - go for it.

beaddict 01-08-2019 12:03 PM

I highly recommend at least a small sink. My studio is downstairs and the only sinks we have are upstairs. We were able to get our hands on a utility sink which the hubby is eventually going to install in our laundry room (maybe. I hope. Someday.) which will be a little more convenient but I'd still have to go through the garage, out a door and into the laundry room. If I had my preference, I'd definitely have a small sink somewhere in my studio.

Ellibelle 01-08-2019 01:37 PM

I don't have a sink but wish I had one, so definitely recommend getting a small one. Have fun planning your craft room!!

cardmaker2 01-08-2019 02:37 PM

My craft room is just across from a bathroom so I’m good with that. If you are far away from one, that may be a consideration. I don’t need it all the time, that’s for sure. But it depends on what all you plan to do in your space.

sewflake 01-08-2019 05:05 PM

I too am right next to the bathroom for quick easy access when needed, so I am good to go. Panning stages of our next house and my craft room will again be right next to the bathroom..I don't plan for an in room sink.

No matter where I scrap in my house I am close to a sink. Had never given a thought to not having one easily avalible!

harvestmoon 01-08-2019 06:34 PM

Definitely a sink in the craft room, or very close to a room with a sink. You didn't ask, but I have a padded rolling office chair at my computer (in my craft room) and a 26" barstool with padded seat at my work table. I like the lifted view. I stand up at the paper cutting station and the die cutting station.
What a fun project you have....to plan from scratch!!

khogan 01-08-2019 06:37 PM

My craft room has a full bath and I love the convenience of having the sink right there.

susie australia 01-08-2019 06:54 PM

I had never thought about this before, like Sharon I have easy access to water.

What I would recommend though is a large standing desk and a good ergonomic floor mat. My desk is 60" x 28", mechanically adjustable, although I have not lowered it since the day I got it. I still have a sitting desk, but I rarely use it for sitting at, so I leave my cutter and ScorPal on it and it's a great area for drying things. As for lighting, I have two lamps on long moveable arms clamped to each end of my standing desk.

Pinterest is full of amazing craft rooms. Eliminating ideas is usually easier than favouring an idea. Look at a photo of a craft room and decide what you would NOT want, then make a note of what is left. Keep working through different pictures and before long you will have a list of all the things you want in your room.

Have fun, I'm envious LOL

lutheran 01-09-2019 03:36 AM

I have a sink just a few steps away in a bathroom but if I were able to build a room from scratch I would include a small sink. There are always things to rinse out and water misters to fill.
Mary Beth

stampin stacy 01-09-2019 06:20 AM

My craft room is right next to a bathroom but have always wished I had an in room sink. I would no longer have to immediately clean up after myself everytime and would not have to worry about inks or paints staining my sink and surrounding counter space.

Libmama 01-09-2019 08:29 AM

Thanks!

So many great ideas. I think the sink is a definite and I appreciate the other tips. I’ve started a list and a Pinterest board!

bettyjoanes 01-09-2019 11:14 AM

My room is minus the sink because I also have bathroom across the hall. It works great for me. The thing you may need to remember, if you put in a sink, is that you have to put in plumbing so your spot may need to be closer to where other plumbing is in your house so you can line up the drains and the 'exhaust' pipe- its in the wall and goes to the roof. hope this is of some help, good luck with your design

GypsyRoseStamper 01-09-2019 02:07 PM

I planned our latest house and think in terms of resale. While I did have all shelves installed in the walk-in closet, there is a full bathroom; so the room would be like a second master to a potential buyer and the one change would be the modification of the closet. I use the bathroom sink to get water when I need it, but next door is the laundry room with a stainless steel sink, and I prefer to use that for any paint cleanup, etc. I love having a rolling chair. The L-shaped desk and work tables are in the middle of the room, and I have additional drawers, shelves, Vagabond behind me; so die cutting is right behind my chair. The floor is ceramic tile in a wood plank style. There is a large picture window which provides lots of light but does not receive direct sunlight. I have a door to the exterior; so it's a quick trip out to spray fixative or something like that. While I would have liked to have floor outlets to service the desk, they never seem to be in the exact place where you ultimately need them; so I just cover the cord with a throw rug.