Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 802 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Ott Light or Not!

On the recommendation of several Splitcoast Stampers, I bought a small Ott Light a couple years ago. It went kerfluey this weekend and even my Mr. Fix -it couldn't save it. So, before I bought another one, I asked him about the true daylight aspect.

I showed him the Ott Light explanation of true daylight. Then he told me about fluorescent bulbs and how Ott is not the only one making these. Aha, then I remembered reading on here about broad spectrum lighting... that must be it I thought.

Mr. Wonderful (AKA DH) bought me a new lamp for only $20 and the bulb is the true sunlight kind of thing. I tried it out right away and wow! It looks the same to me, and a whole bunch cheaper. Since it's a bigger desk lamp, I get a lot more light, it sits up higher and is adjustable as well. So I had to share this with you.

The bulb is Kree LED daylight.

Ott Light or Not!-img_20140325_151303.jpg
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When I first started all this years ago, I also got a small Ott light because everyone raved about them. To be truthful, I never did really like it much. It was a small desk top model, and was awkward to keep moving around on my table.

I decided I needed a stand-up goose neck light, and checked out the Ott models. They were so expensive, even on sale or with a coupon, so I forgot about it for a while.

Then one day I was browsing in Big Lots and they had a neat looking standing lamp with a goose neck called a Daylight Spectrum lamp. It was only $29 and came with an extra bulb!

Best money I ever spent, and several years later, I'm still using the first bulb and have the extra in reserve.

I think there are lots of options out there for inexpensive daylight spectrum lighting for crafting.

I'm glad you found one of them!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, you're right....I did the same and was surprised at the results. I ended buying another one just for an extra. That was still a lot cheaper than Ott Light.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Awesome - I really need a good lamp. Your workspace and view are lovely BTW
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #5  

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Awesome - I really need a good lamp. Your workspace and view are lovely BTW
Thanks! Right now the flowers are beginning to bloom and the view is awesome! It's such a lovely space to work and the north light is perfect.

Mr. Wonderful was really surprised that so many of us were using Ott lights. He asked why and I told him that Ott was the only one who made the true daylight bulbs. He just shook his head and smiled. "Honey, did y'all read that on their website?" "Uh yeah..." He understands the whole forum concept, because he belongs to one for FJ Cruisers.

Last edited by sc magnolia; 03-25-2014 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #6  

HAHAH! Um, yeah. I worked in lighting for 20 years.

My window faces a fence. Super inspiring - LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you provide more details about the Kree bulb, i.e. where to buy, how much and what kind of base does it have?
Thanks,
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 202 Likes on 144 Posts

We'll I guess I was one of the silly ones - I went to Michaels with my coupon to find the lamps were 50 percent off. I did get the sturdy table model and an extra bulb for the existing goose neck lamp. I now have complete ott light across three tables. The thing I did notice that there was no eye strain and I'm very happy about that. I decided I was investing in myself and hopefully for a number of years. I have never been happier and no regrets - maybe less cash but my eyes are happy. I noticed later that another product is available at Staples for the same price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #9  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobrien207View Post
Can you provide more details about the Kree bulb, i.e. where to buy, how much and what kind of base does it have?
Thanks,
mob

I'm not sure about that, but here's what you need to know with fluorescent lights - you need one with a very high color rendering index - or CRI.

An incandescent bulb is "perfect" on the CRI scale - at 100. This means colors look completely true under an incandescent light.

Fluorescents fall FAR short - it's just not a good technology for rendering color.

You're never going to get a fluorescent light with a 100 CRI. I use halogen in my room because they are 100, and I like the quality of the light better. I hate the look of fluorescents, but I know some people want fluorescents, and if so, you need to look on the manufacturer's website for the CRI.

The highest for a fluorescent is going to be high 80s/low 90s, like this one: BlueMax? 9w Umbrella Compact Fluorescent Lamp

So I wouldn't pay any attention to brand, etc. - just look for bulbs with the highest possible CRI.

*nerd alert*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

My struggle has been trying to find an adjustable desk lamp that will take a daylight bulb that is equivalent of a 100W bulb. I really need to bright light and most of the desktop goose necks are made to take a 40W bulb.

Something else I've notices is that I have a daylight bulb in a 3-way floor lamp and it doesn't feel that bright. I'm disappointed in it. But, I'll keep trying different brands until I find the right one.

Thanks,
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Now I'm more confused because the Cree bulbs are LED bulbs. So, which is better for bright and accurate lighting, the LED or the daylight/full spectrum bulbs?
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #12  

Quote:

Now I'm more confused because the Cree bulbs are LED bulbs. So, which is better for bright and accurate lighting, the LED or the daylight/full spectrum bulbs?
mob

The CRI of LED is very low - the Cree is 80 - so it would be less accurate than most compact fluorescents. Data sheet attached.

LED doesn't have that ghastly blue hue you get with some fluorescents which is probably why people like them. It "feels" closer to an incandescent, but still not accurate with color.

We need to bring back the good old light bulb Halogen is an incandescent.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cree.pdf (222.6 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I always thought that incandescents (the bulbs just discontinued) gave off a very yellow light. I'd think that a bright white would be the most color accurate...is that true or false? Fluorescents give off a blue and cool light, yes? If we only had the perfect window and sun light placement!
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #14  

Sunlight is perfect yes! I photograph all my cards outside for this reason. And this is why the marketing people use words like "full spectrum" to try to make you think their light is mimicking sunlight. But they aren't.

You can bore yourself to death with the science of why incans are 100 on the CRI scale here if you'd like.

You get the best, most accurate color with the good old fashioned incandescent.

Sunlight isn't pure white light either, really.

But most of what looks like "white" light is a poor color rendering blue tinged light. And if you want to see the WORST color rendering ever, go take something blue and stand under a mercury vapor streetlight. They are horrid and make it impossible to distinguish one color from another, to the degree that police oppose them because people reporting crime can't see what color a car is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

This is great information, Lydia! I stopped using Ott lights years ago because they seemed so dark to me. Now I know to look for that CRI number - thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #16  

Quote:

Sunlight is perfect yes! I photograph all my cards outside for this reason. And this is why the marketing people use words like "full spectrum" to try to make you think their light is mimicking sunlight. But they aren't.

You can bore yourself to death with the science of why incans are 100 on the CRI scale here if you'd like.

You get the best, most accurate color with the good old fashioned incandescent.

Sunlight isn't pure white light either, really.

But most of what looks like "white" light is a poor color rendering blue tinged light. And if you want to see the WORST color rendering ever, go take something blue and stand under a mercury vapor streetlight. They are horrid and make it impossible to distinguish one color from another, to the degree that police oppose them because people reporting crime can't see what color a car is.
Okay ... So why don't we all use incandescent? Is it because they are hot or they are no longer going to be produced??

Is Ott a fluorescent?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #17  

Im full of questions Lydia, I sure appreciate your imput.

Will a halogen bulb work in any lamp???

So does the following statement mean that full spectrum is just a marketing gimic?
"There is no technical definition of "full-spectrum" so it cannot be measured. To compare "full-spectrum" sources requires direct comparison of spectral distributions."
it has been the most difficult metric for incandescent replacement light bulbs to match (while maintaining high efficiency) and therefore the most frequently ignored. For that reason, LED light bulbs with a high CRI can be worthy replacements for incandescent light bulbs. Most LED lights do not have a CRI above 90.

The more I read, the more confused I get! Lol
"However, CRI is a poor indicator of the perception of light produced by LEDs, and scores as low as 25 can produce vivid-appearing white light, while high-scoring sources can still be very poor at rendering reds, including skin tones.
In 2008, the US Department of Energy created the L Prize to find an incandescent light bulb replacement that met efficiency metrics and had a CRI above 90." Source here

Last edited by sc magnolia; 03-26-2014 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 01:56 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

A bonus for a "daylight" bulb is the benefit of light to our moods! SAD, seasonal affected disorder ( winter blues) is very real. Daylight bulbs can really brighten our moods, and Lord knows, with the winter many of us have had; our moods need brightening!! I am in western Illinois, and yesterday I woke up to snow... winter is never going to end. Bring on my daylight lamp!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 02:27 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I really appreciate all of the great information on this thread (thank you, especially, Lydia) - very helpful! I just wanted to second what Labbylover10732 said about SAD. We're in upstate New York, my husband has this affliction, and he's darn near suicidal. ("If I had a gun I'd shoot myself", he says - only half-jokingly...) I'm considering getting him a special lamp for his birthday next week, since this is The Never-Ending Winter (more snow last night)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #20  

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I really appreciate all of the great information on this thread (thank you, especially, Lydia) - very helpful! I just wanted to second what Labbylover10732 said about SAD. We're in upstate New York, my husband has this affliction, and he's darn near suicidal. ("If I had a gun I'd shoot myself", he says - only half-jokingly...) I'm considering getting him a special lamp for his birthday next week, since this is The Never-Ending Winter (more snow last night)

I was born in upstate NY and went back for college. 82 sunny days a year. Hell on earth for someone like me. This is why I live in Austin. If it's even CLOUDY here I freak out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #21  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
Im full of questions Lydia, I sure appreciate your imput.

Will a halogen bulb work in any lamp???

So does the following statement mean that full spectrum is just a marketing gimic?
"There is no technical definition of "full-spectrum" so it cannot be measured. To compare "full-spectrum" sources requires direct comparison of spectral distributions."
it has been the most difficult metric for incandescent replacement light bulbs to match (while maintaining high efficiency) and therefore the most frequently ignored. For that reason, LED light bulbs with a high CRI can be worthy replacements for incandescent light bulbs. Most LED lights do not have a CRI above 90.

The more I read, the more confused I get! Lol
"However, CRI is a poor indicator of the perception of light produced by LEDs, and scores as low as 25 can produce vivid-appearing white light, while high-scoring sources can still be very poor at rendering reds, including skin tones.
In 2008, the US Department of Energy created the L Prize to find an incandescent light bulb replacement that met efficiency metrics and had a CRI above 90." Source here
Halogens are sealed with a gas inside - they aren't typically found in the normal base you associate with a screw in light bulb - it's more common to find a lamp that is specifically made for halogen bulbs. I have halogen ceiling fixtures in my studio but also have a small halogen desk lamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

IMHO, nothing beats an incandescent light. I wish I had stocked up when the dollar store had them. The only disadvantage is the heat it gives off (that IS a disadvantage when you live in TX).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

I was born in upstate NY and went back for college. 82 sunny days a year. Hell on earth for someone like me. This is why I live in Austin. If it's even CLOUDY here I freak out
I was born in California and lived there until I hooked up with my DH, who grew up here. I'm not a fan of winter, but I do love a good thunderstorm.

We lived in Austin for a year (1994-1995) and LOVED it! I've been trying to get him to move back ever since. It looks like we're probably moving west in the fall, but farther west than Texas.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

My husband got tired of me always buying lamps to get the lighting just right, so he installed florescent lighting over head that hang down on my work station. Love it.

But I still have a goose-neck lamp handy if needed. But my craft room, just has one window and that is the one on the door. But he did install a screen door so that I can open the big door and see the great outdoors (my carport!!LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #25  

Quote:

Thanks,
mob
I had to wait for Mr. Wonderful to get home from work, because I am a bit fuzzy on this! lol

Bare in mind is a mechanical engineer, not an artist!
He said that halogen gave off a lot of heat, and used more electricity. So you would be paying for them twice, the bulb and the increase in air cond. which is a huge factor here in the sunny south.

He said that the Dept. of Energy, who he works for, created some Prize a few years ago to find a replacement for an incandescent light bulb that met efficiency scales and had a CRI above 90. Then he told me something about who the CRI is not a good indicator of the perception of light produced by LEDs and something something, but I didn't understand. He showed me this site High CRI LED Lighting

Here is the bulb information he gave me. He got them at Lowes.

I LOVE my new light. It is brighter than that little OTT light I had and the colors when I'm working with Copics are great. However, I do have a great amount of natural light in this room. I would say that Halogen like Lydia told us about or this would be good choices based on the information I am able to understand.

Last edited by sc magnolia; 03-26-2014 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I've been looking for a good crafting lamp that won't break the bank and all this info is very helpful. Thanks to all of you for sharing.

Sue, I feel for your husband. I would have a hard time living anyplace without lots of sunshine. (I live in the Houston area.)

Lydia, I would love to live in Austin. DH and I became empty nesters a few months ago and I lost my beloved job (Archiver's) last month so I've been trying to get him to consider relocating. Austin is my first choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I want better lighting for photographing. Going outside isn't always the best idea here. Wind, rain, snow, cold all keep me inside. I'm learning. I only ever had one halogen light and it got hotter than henry when it was on and I don't want it causing a fire. I think that is the kind that we were warned about. People were putting scarves over them to create colorful lighting and the scarves were catching fire. Now I know to look for CRI numbers. I almost bought a daylight bulb at walmart yesterday but decided to research a bit more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #28  

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I want better lighting for photographing. Going outside isn't always the best idea here. Wind, rain, snow, cold all keep me inside. I'm learning. I only ever had one halogen light and it got hotter than henry when it was on and I don't want it causing a fire. I think that is the kind that we were warned about. People were putting scarves over them to create colorful lighting and the scarves were catching fire. Now I know to look for CRI numbers. I almost bought a daylight bulb at walmart yesterday but decided to research a bit more.
I agree I'm so glad Lydia told us about the CRI numbers. It was kida cool to know about it and being about to carry on a conversation with Mr. Wonderful and not sound like a total nincompoop! lol

What I've read and what he told me is that the CRI metric is not always a good way to quantify LED lights..... that's as far as my little brain goes. I don't understand WHY or how then to evaluate the coloring rendering of LED.

I just took what Lydia told us and made my own sense of it. I know daylightnis best, so I took my color charts for Copics, cardstock and inks outside and played a bit. Then I brought them right back inside under my new light and looked at the same charts and did the same things with them. Its pretty close as fas as color... To me anyway. So I think I'm good to go.
Reply With Quote Likes