Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! How do you stamp with a toddler around?

Hi, I know this may have already been addressed but it really didin't apply to me until a few months ago. I have a very active 5 yo ds. I love him dearly and I love that he is crafty, bbbuuuuutttt! He drives me crazy:mad: . He is fine to play and self entertain, until I decide to try and stamp, and then he has to be with me, and then I get nothing accpmlished and end up being sidetracked on my stuff and not enjoying what I am doing and not liking my finished product. I have tried other times of the day, he never naps anymore, and I can't stay up all night , I do have to sleep. Any ideas? Am I alone?:confused:
To Him who is able to keep you from falling...Jude 24
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #2  
neglecting the kids and housework

Well I have a three year old that still fits into a booster seat and he plays playdough or colors or "does art" in that next to me. I also am a SAHM so he understands that there are times that it's my job to stamp. I sell cards and teach classes. I tell him it's my work time and set the timer for both of us. And I think the thing that helps me the most is that I'm right in the livingroom so he doesn't feel secluded/excluded when I'm stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I am a SAHM also, and in the living room too. He just wants to stamp too! He has his own stamps, markers, ink etc.... I let him use my fun scissors and he just keeps bothering and not working. I have to help him more than I help myself. I have tried to tell him no not now I need to work, as I sell my stuff also, but that just doesn't work anymore either. This has really just started, maybe it is a stage?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I know how you feel. My son is 4 and lately he has been in the craft room more than me. He knows where everything is. If we are both in there, I usually have to get him started. I will usually stamp whatever it is he wants and then he does the rest--coloring, using my brads, punches, stamps more, etc. I gave him a few of my duplicate ink pads and let him stamp away. I bought a used set of marvelous markers for him, but he seems to prefer my copics so I have given up sole possession of them.

One morning I had woken up around 5:30am and thought, "Oh peace." Around 6am, (unusual) he had woken up and comes in and says, "I wanna do a craft." Ugh.

Last edited by luvallthisstampin; 12-22-2008 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 10:33 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I can't help, except to say "I feel your pain." My DS loves to stamps and color and somehow what he's doing is never as much fun as what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My older ones will leave me alone but my 4yo has to be right on me when I try to stamp. If she's not hanging on my arm she's got a running commentary on what I'm doing.

No real advice but I do hear your pain. For awhile, I was stamping late at night when she finally crashed and I still managed to stay awake. I envy those with smaller kids who can stamp and keep their little ones engaged in something.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2008, 11:35 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

could set up "his area" near yours. in this area have speical things that he can do only while you are stamping.
maybe books to read.
blocks/legos?
cars
i often used a timer. i always warned matthew-in 10 mins we will start.....
also let him know we will "work this long".
then reward him w/mom time.
the more you have a routine the better for him.
and in the long run the better for you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 04:22 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvfrogsView Post
I am a SAHM also, and in the living room too. He just wants to stamp too! He has his own stamps, markers, ink etc.... I let him use my fun scissors and he just keeps bothering and not working. I have to help him more than I help myself. I have tried to tell him no not now I need to work, as I sell my stuff also, but that just doesn't work anymore either. This has really just started, maybe it is a stage?
I am right there with you! I have a 6 yr old AND a 3 yr old. Both can play alone or together just fine. But as soon as I start stamping they need to be under my feet touching everything on my desk. Ugh! What I've done is set up a table for them with their own crafts and let them go to town. They do need lots of help and it distracts me from doing my own thing, but I'm used to it now. Although I definitely feel your pain. My 6 yr old is a bit better about it so maybe it is just a 5 yr old phase. Sometimes I will let them craft with me then say, "Okay, time for Mom to have quiet time. What do you want to do?" and they are happy cause they got some crafting time with Mom and they go back to playing again. It doesn't always work but at least I get something accomplished.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 05:54 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

No tips from me since my DD is only 20 months old but I'll be watching to hear what everyone has to say. It looks like I am naively waiting for the day when I can stamp and she can craft in the same room. Right now I stamp when she's in bed. I refuse to give up my hobby because I think it's very important for parents to keep their own identities when they have children and not give up everything. One thing that concerned me before becoming a parent was I was worried there would be "work me" and "Mommy me" and no more "Me". So I made up my mind it wouldn't happen. I still stamp and garden although I admit not as much as before. I figure it will improve over time and she's only little once so I don't want to miss it!

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 06:15 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

a 5yo is certainly capable of doing a craft by himself for a little while. it sounds like he just wants your attention i think the timer is a good idea. maybe you can alternate between focusing your attention on him, then switch to "working" mode. giving each 10-15m on the timer?

my 4yo always wants to stamp when i do, but she's usually content with her own station. it does have to be either next to me or across from me, but i give her my watercolor pencils, her safety scissors (huge hit!), her stamps and ink and she's good to go. there are some days that she just really needs my attention and i dont' get anything done. it's better to just set the stamp stuff down and give her attention, knowing i'll have to do it after she goes to bed, rather than fighting with her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 07:02 AM   #11  
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvfrogsView Post
Duct tape :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 07:04 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

My 2 yr old and 5 yr old both stamp and paper craft with me (if they want to) when I'm making things. Either that or they play together doing something else. It might help since I have two little ones, though. My 5 yr old loves to make cards, color, and scrapbook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #13  
kraf*T*y mama

Hi! I am not sure I am the one to ask but I do have a 4 1/2 year old and a 15 month old. Both boys and can be VERY rowdy! The older one will watch a movie and so that gives me some time, the little one has to be napping or with daddy

I save time by cutting my scraps into A2 size, so they are ready to use. I also scrap and will do bits at a time

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 07:44 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamperView Post
Oh Victoria - I nearly PMSL!
I can't have kids, so you SAHM's have my full respect for managing to get anything done at all! I know when my 5yr nephew comes to stay I just have to hide my nice stuff, let him get stuck into my craftbox and postpone my own projects! Even then, it only amuses him for half an hour tops!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Thank you!!!!! I don't feel alone now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you all for listening to me rant. I do feel better knowing I am not alone in this crafting mom world. I need to practice patience! It just never fails that when I really have a project to finish or a sale to make, he has to be in the middle of it! Thanks for your advice. I think the timer is a good idea, I am going to try that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Default How Do You Stamp with a Toddler Around?

Very carefully!!

My almost 5 year old dd LOVES to "help" when I stamp. She "helped" me the other day by taking one of my wheels which was loaded with black ink and wheel all over the carpet in my office/craft room. I am just THRILLED that the black that SU! makes in waterproof!! She almost helped me with taking one of my new sets Seasons of Simple Grace and getting red in all over the wood part of the stamp.

Lately it has been tough to stamp, but usually she does really well with me. She is really good with my supplies and asks before she touches anything. I guess the pressure to be good around Christmas is just too much!!!

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

If he sits still...stamp him?
lol...I did not have this wonderful hobby when my kids were toddlers...sorry I only had a smart remark.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Have sat smiling at all of these replies as my 3 year old daughter is more of a crafter than I am these days!

If I have to craft during the day I bring what I need out of my craft room and sit at the table in the kitchen with her. Next to the table she has 6 shelves that are at her height so she can craft away with out using my stuff.

I also make sure she has a drink and some fruit to nibble on before we start so there are no distractions.

Unfortunately there is no magic solution...kids will be kids!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Great idea!!! Kinda like stamp tatoos!!! Just in time for Christmas! :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
If he sits still...stamp him?
lol...I did not have this wonderful hobby when my kids were toddlers...sorry I only had a smart remark.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by oufansintxView Post
Very carefully!!

My almost 5 year old dd LOVES to "help" when I stamp. She "helped" me the other day by taking one of my wheels which was loaded with black ink and wheel all over the carpet in my office/craft room. I am just THRILLED that the black that SU! makes in waterproof!! She almost helped me with taking one of my new sets Seasons of Simple Grace and getting red in all over the wood part of the stamp.

Lately it has been tough to stamp, but usually she does really well with me. She is really good with my supplies and asks before she touches anything. I guess the pressure to be good around Christmas is just too much!!!

Pam

OH BOY< i don't have it taht bad, yet anyway. He does ask before he uses anything but still... you know.... just bothersome. I think the thing about Christmas pressure is a good thought.Next week will be better!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 05:32 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Default Quiet Time

When my kids outgrew their naps, I instituted quiet time. After lunch they all have to be in their rooms for 1 to 1-1/2 hours playing quietly by themselves. That gives me some time to myself to do whatever I need to do. Saves my sanity, because I know I have that time to myself and won't be interrupted.

I also set up my work space near the computer, so I'll sit and do some coloring while they are on the computer--they like me to be nearby, but are usually pretty independent once I get them on.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

We also have quiet time in the afternoons! At least an hour they need to be in their beds quietly playing/reading/listening to music. Somedays it works better than others. But I have gotten a lot of their x-mas gifts made/stocking stuffers, etc, while they were in quiet time.

My kids do pretty well at keeping themselves busy so I can craft in the afternoons. We homeschool, so the whole morning is spent with them doing their schoolwork. Afternoons are their fun times, so they really don't want to be around me anymore!

And I also get crafting time in the evenings while hubby is watching tv, since I usually don't like what he's watching anyways. I can stamp, sew, or crochet in peace (except for his snoring after he falls asleep on the couch!).

My kids love the SU tatoos. We used them for a reward when we were potty training my youngest. Every time he went potty he got a new tatoo!

Good luck and have fun! My daughter has her own speical stamping stuff, and even has a craft table in her room. Every now and then I'll fill up her scrap box, and she'll be in her room for hours making cards for everyone!

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 08:30 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I will say first that I have no human children, just my SD/Companion dog. I am all for children sharing quality time with mom and dad, that's a good thing that too many families don't do for one reason or another.

I also believe that what items are for mom and dad are just that, for mom and dad and not for children. Children have their toys and should play with them. Mom has her crafting tools (they are NOT toys), just like dad has his power tools (also NOT toys). These things should all be separate and not mixed together.

When it's time for quality time to craft with your children, then get out their items that are separate and different from mom's. This makes the distinction for the child. Spend that time together on the child's level.

Mom has her separate time with her crafting tools just as dad has his separate time with his power tools. You wouldn't give a circular saw to a child, so why would you allow a child to think that ink pads, stamps, die cut machines, etc. to touch those items? It may not seem like it, but they could also get hurt on them or use them in an improper manner.

Yes, I realize I am not in the situation that many of you are in, but that doesn't mean I can understand what items should belong to who.

I don't get interupted by hands grabbing at things or never ending questions, I'm interupted by a wet nose, slobber and being pawed at.....same kind of idea.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

HEY! That's what I was going to say!!!

When my son was 4, a playmate pushed him into the edge of a glass table and he needed stitches on his head. They put him in one of the papoose boards where he was immobilized. How often I thought fondly of that little contraption through the years and wished I had one. I'm sure they are available at any medical supply store!

Last edited by 7kidscollegefund; 12-24-2008 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

I enjoyed reading every reply. It makes me glad that I only have a niece that I can send home. LOL! She is now eleven. But has loved to stamp with me since she was about 4 or 5. Back then I had to help her do everything. Now she can come over and do pretty much do all of it on her own. The only thing she has me do is cut the paper and card stock.

I love sharing my stuff with her and I am so happy that she loves to be creative just like me. But I also love the fact that I have a lot of my own time since I am single.

Good luck with your little one. Before you know it he'll be all grown up and you will wish you had some of these days back to enjoy his company once again.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

My DS is 5 too and loves to stamp with me. Here's what we've worked out... I have a lot of images that I stamp for him (or extras from swaps). He's allowed to use my markers and color while I'm working on my project. When he's done coloring he can play with his own toys until I am done. We save his colored images and then, when I have the time, I'll make them into cards with him.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. On those days, duct tape DOES sound like the answer.

Just as a side note... do you have a friend you can "trade kids" with? He's in kindergarden in the afternoon but mornings get long for a 5 year old -- so, on one Tuesday, his friend comes over for the morning and they play together. The next Tuesday, Matthew goes to his friend's house. We do the same with a different child on Thursdays. (on an alternating schedule) This way I have a full day at least once a week to stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

I used to be able to stamp during the day but now most of my stamping and scrapping is done during the evening when the kids are in bed. I have a 2 yo, 4 yo, 6 yo, 8 yo, & 10 yo. Life is just too busy to craft during the day.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Robyn....from the ages of the kiddos...I think you best take care with what you are doing as you are due for number 6....lol
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

My toddler is 2 and a half and gets into ALLLLLLL my things! i have a crafting room and she'll just waltz in there like it's hers and open all my drawers and take all my stuff out. I can NOT work with her around. I have tried giving her paper and her crayola colored pencils for her to doodle, but then either she'll insist on my prismacolor pencils or attempt to climb on me and sit on my lap! It drives me crazy!!! I have no solutions, just have to wait until naptime to work.

Designing for my Stamp BOX | Caardvarks | Purple Cows
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2008, 11:13 AM   #31  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 639 Likes on 449 Posts

Buy him some wheels and a handle and let him stamp with you! My little one has his own bucket of supplies, the wheels are the best. Get some 11x17 paper too. My mother and mother in law love getting his creations. He sent my mil what looked like a scrap of paper the other day--she pulled it out and showed it to everyone yesterday! He will be 4 on Sunday.
Pia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Robyn....from the ages of the kiddos...I think you best take care with what you are doing as you are due for number 6....lol
Blessings.
That's why we just got a dog for Christmas. He is our new baby.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

If you makes you feel any better, you're not alone. My stamping time is from 9pm to 10pm every night. Then I take a stamping day once in a while and go to my friends to get big projects done and my husband watches our son.
Reply With Quote Likes