Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-13-2005, 08:58 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Hand Stamp Only"?

I was told by someone (can't remember who) that when mailing cards that are a bit "chunky" (i.e. with brads, eyelets, ribbons, etc.) that you should mark "HAND STAMP ONLY" on the outside so they don't put them through the machines that may accidently rip them open. Any comments or has any one else heard the same thing?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2005, 09:07 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

If your cards have many layers or embellishments you will need to ask for hand cancellation (which also costs an additional 12 cents postage). If you are in doubt, take the card to the counter at the post office and ask. Oddly enough, you may get a different answer depending on which clerk you ask. Once, I had a bunch of bulky cards to mail. I asked the mail clerk what the postage would be and she told me 37 cents. I sat there and put stamps on the cards, and took them back to the window. The first clerk was on her lunch break and the new clerk told me the cards would need the extra postage...Argh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2005, 09:10 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Cool Padded Envelopes

If I have anything with embellishments that could tear in the postal process (and if they can, they will), I put them in a small padded envelope. Office supply stores have packs of them in various sizes for very reasonable costs. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Yup, that's me and WILLIE NELSON!!! (insert heart here!) :)

I used to just drop mine off at the mailbox with a reg. stamp on it. One day I got a RAK back..it was ripped to shreads! The only thing I could save was the hodgepodge buckle. They said if I put an extra 12 cents on and leave it with THEM, it would be fine! I figure the time I put into my cards is worth putting an extra 12 cents on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2005, 09:51 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Hand CANCEL only. Not hand stamp. You can do this on any item, but, as states, you will pay more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2005, 09:58 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I don't care about the extra $ (I have been putting 60 cents on my cards recently just in case), I just wanted to make sure about the "going through the machine" and ripping the card up. I would hate to have to make a special trip to the post office everytime I wanted to send a bulky card for them to set aside to hand cancel! Hopefully the mailman is paying attention!! And that the 60 cents covers it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2005, 10:03 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsboughton
I don't care about the extra $ (I have been putting 60 cents on my cards recently just in case), I just wanted to make sure about the "going through the machine" and ripping the card up. I would hate to have to make a special trip to the post office everytime I wanted to send a bulky card for them to set aside to hand cancel! Hopefully the mailman is paying attention!! And that the 60 cents covers it!
Don't count on your carrier to notice something like that. It really is best to take it to the post office.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2005, 10:30 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

When I send anything with an embellishment, I usually put a small card-size sheet of bubble wrap in front of it. So far, no one's told me that their card arrived wrecked, but I'm probably just getting lucky. I think I'll ask for hand cancel in the future too. Just wish the post office woul be consistent on whether it's extra postage or not!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2005, 10:50 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Lightbulb Tip I picked up somewhere....

Someone gave me a good tip once - they said to take your paper trimmer and see if you can pass your card through the little bar on the ruler (it's the gutter part where your blades sit and slide). If you card easily passes through that, it doesn't need more than 37 cents - if it gets stuck whatsoever, then it needs extra postage. The guide that the post office has to determine extra postage is the same size. Of course if there's excessive bulk - I agree with everyone about the hand-cancelling. Better that than have them ripped to shreads (which has happened to 1-2 of the cards I've received).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2005, 11:26 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I slip a piece of inexpensive, crimped CS into the envelope over the front of the card to protect embellishments during mailing. It's worked well so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2005, 12:56 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

The last time I sent a RAK I wrote hand cancel only on it, added on the extra postage and gave it to the postman at the desk. He told me I was wasting my money because they (I don't know if he meant our post office or the postal service in general) don't hand sort the mail anymore; it is all done by machines. Who knows if he is telling me the truth or not, but he made a pretty big deal that I was putting on extra postage for no reason...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2005, 01:51 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I just had a card returned to me asking for an additional .12 cents because of the larger brads I used. It just said to attach .12 cents and remail. I didn't think to add "hand cancel" to the envelope. I hope it makes it.

Just not enough time in the day to do
everything that I love to do
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2005, 02:32 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Unfortunately, I have had first-hand experience with this nightmare. For this past Easter, I made 42 cards. In each card I inserted a cross I had made with the tacky tape and had beads attached to the tape and inserted the cross into the Easter card. I weighed the cards myself and they were less than one ounce so I just put on a 37 cent stamp. Half of the cards were delivered with no problem. The other half were returned to me in a bundle by the post office saying I had to pay the additional 12 cents handling charge. I received the cards about 5 days after Easter. Now I know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 03:42 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I read a tip on here to put your card in the envelope with embellishments to the back of the envelope then attach a piece of packing tape to the back of the envelope over where the embellishments are to keep the envelope from ripping in the mail.
I've often wondered about hand cancelled; what does the post office actually do with that envelope? Do they dump it in the bin with all the other envelopes and it goes thru a machine anyway?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 06:17 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathynruss
If I have anything with embellishments that could tear in the postal process (and if they can, they will), I put them in a small padded envelope. Office supply stores have packs of them in various sizes for very reasonable costs. HTH
Hi Kathy - Does using a padded envelope automatically put it in the "hand cancelled" category in the post office? Also, do you add the extra 12 cents when you use one?

Linda

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 07:36 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdarnall2001
The last time I sent a RAK I wrote hand cancel only on it, added on the extra postage and gave it to the postman at the desk. He told me I was wasting my money because they (I don't know if he meant our post office or the postal service in general) don't hand sort the mail anymore; it is all done by machines. Who knows if he is telling me the truth or not, but he made a pretty big deal that I was putting on extra postage for no reason...
Jess -
I was just told this last week at our post office. Although the answers are different with each clerk, this time I was told that there is no such thing as hand cancel any longer. Everything goes through the machine. AND to put and extra 12 cents on anything bumpy.
Love some of the ideas here -- the packing tape over the embellishmentss, the crimped cardstock -- I'm going to try these! If I'm putting extra postage on anyway, might as well add a little weight!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdarnall2001
....... He told me I was wasting my money because they (I don't know if he meant our post office or the postal service in general) don't hand sort the mail anymore; it is all done by machines.
I searched through the USPS website a few weeks ago and found that they charge extra for several reasons.... all related to the fact that they have to hand cancel. For instance, square envelopes are not sortable.. the machine can't tell which edge is up. Also, lumpy thick envelopes.
I just take mine to the window without any postage and ask, "How much to hand cancel this?"
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 10:59 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

My post office also says they "don't hand cancel" anymore. I really find this hard to believe, because, what DO they do with bubble envelopes with bulky stuff inside???? :(

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 11:21 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Heart
I slip a piece of inexpensive, crimped CS into the envelope over the front of the card to protect embellishments during mailing. It's worked well so far.
I do this too and it seems to work good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 12:36 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have given up trying to pay the extra .12 to have it hand canceled. I have been told several times at my post office that is wasn't required. Once the clerk even told me they didn't sell .12 stamps when I told him I thought I needed extra postage. As far as I know, everything I mail gets where it's going, but I do try not to make the embellishments make the card too thick or bulky.

Life is Better in the Village!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

If you put it in the mailbox, it is going to go through the machines - period.

No one reads - hand cancel. If they do, it is - oops- as it whizzes through the machine.

However, if you ask the post office to put the postage on it - meter strip - it doesn't get canceled because it isn't a stamp.

My post office still has the "hand cancel" stamper which they use - I think to humor me. Who know what happens when that little fish of a card leaves their hands and goes into the big ocean of mail.

The tough decision is whether to use an embellishment that is going to require you to take a trip to the post office.

~Nancy~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

I used padded envelopes on anything questionable... then it's treated as a PACKAGE, not a LETTER. Packages don't go through the sorting machines like letters do!

I've also used the small cardboard photo mailers (those are treated as letters, and subject to machine sorting) and haven't had any problems with them. They are cheaper to mail than the padded/bubble envelopes because they are thinner, even though they weigh more. Whoda thunk?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 05:38 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

I put my card in the envelope so the embellishments face the back, and put tape over anything lumpy. No problems so far.

That's also the correct way to put a card in an envelope FWIW, with the front of the card showing when you open the envelope. I worked with an Ettiquette Queen who almost died when I put a letter in an envelope backwards - lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 07:54 AM   #24  
KLF
Kookie Creator

When I mail cards from home they go through a post office with rather unfriendly clerks (Just my opinion). When I mail them from work they go through a small friendly post office. At home, they always used to give them back to me if they had the slightest extra thickness and demand extra postage (usually ruining the decorated envelope in the meantime). At work, I stamp the envelope with a rubber stamp that says "Please hand cancel," put on a 37� stamp, and never have a problem. Mail from both places goes through the same large sorting facility before its ultimate destination. Go figure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 08:11 AM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Well I'm not sure if this will be suitable/available to those of you that live in the USA, but I work in a post office here in Canada. We sell these large decorated cards called Tickle Me Note's. They are charged as an oversize letter and then we date stamp (official post date stamp) over the postage so it does not go through the sorter. Maybe this is something you can ask at your local post office if they are able to do for you for you handmade cards.

Cindy
Part of me has snapped...........
And the rest of me is draggin.....
Reply With Quote Likes