Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:54 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Default Personal Use Consultants for SU,CTMH,CM,TAC or any other stamping/scrapbooking compan

Please note: I'm not trying to start a train wreck--just have a general question:
For those of you that are personal use consultants do you feel it is worth the savings that you are receiving? Has it helped control your spending or increased your spending? Is having access to product, and first hand information more of a benefit than the discount?
Any thoughts would be so much appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-17-2007, 05:21 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I was a CM consultant for awhile. For me I got started b/c my consultant was *retiring* after about 5 yrs selling and I couldn't imagine not having local access. (BTW, she was getting out b/c she got TOO busy.) But what I found, as a *hobby* consultant, was that some quarters I did just fine, but others I really had to work to meet the sales quota. The discount was nice, but not sufficient to make up for the need to order sample new products. The CM stuff seemed to sell better if my customers could actually see the product in hand. Also, a lot of customers like for you to have scrapbooking supplies on hand already when they need them, thus creating need for inventory. Other companies, such as SU or PC, I think would work better for personal use sales/consultant b/c you don't have that need for inventory and the new products available don't change every single month.

Hope that helps in the decision you are trying to make. I think a lot of it will depend on how much you plan to spend for your personal use within the given quota period and whether you can/want to match that with your own purchases if your customers don't for that same timeframe.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:32 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

When I was a hobby demo for SU I think it was worth it. At the time I had the means to make my own minimums, and knowing I wanted to build my collection it was an excellent decision. I acquired all the ink pads, paper, and many stamp sets. I dropped the demoship when I realized I didn't need to spend 300 dollars a quarter anymore to enjoy my hobby. I am considering signing up with TAC sometime for the same reason, just waiting for the right time for me.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Old 04-17-2007, 05:37 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I'm an SU demo but just for personal use. Because I've always loved SU's product it's not hard for me to meet my minimum. I do not buy at the LSS anymore and I only get stuff at the M store and J store when something I really love is on sale (or I have a coupon). This way I get most of my stuff from myself. I think this controls my spending. There's no instant gratification on orders since it takes the UPS man five days to get it here. I think that encourages me to buy wisely. Unlike going in a store and buying on a whim only to regret it later.

The discount basically pays the shipping and tax which in the long run I think is well worth it. I can also order whenever I want which I love. Then there's access to the demo part of SU's website, yet another benefit I love. And let me add that the demo's here on the demo board are pretty awesome too!

HTH
Old 04-17-2007, 05:43 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I became a consultant for Close to my Heart four years ago, and before then, I was spending a TON of money on supplies from all different companies... I was ordering out of catalogs, going online, buying at local sb stores, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. When I became a consultant, I got a group started, and only wanted to use CTMH products. (I didn't want to encourage my customers to buy things from other people! lol) SInce then, I don't spend that much at all; just when a new catalog comes out. I love getting a discount, and I love all the support and ideas I get from the Close to my Heart website. They have designed workshops, and other projects online, and we can purchase certain products in bulk, which also cuts down on costs. I think it has helped me curb my spending TREMENDOUSLY!!! Some people think it's too limiting, but I think it has pushed my creativity to the next level, since I can only use what I already have. I don't ever buy products from other companies, since I want to show people my stuff... And I find that I USE what I buy! I hope this helps you!

Anne
Old 04-17-2007, 05:52 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default Thank you for all your

thoughts, this is so very helpful I really appreciate it. This is my hope as well that it would put a control on my spending because right now I will go into a LSS and buy something just to buy something (if that makes sense) and really never put things to use.
I also lack in creative ideas and it is great to hear that for many of you it has increase your creativity.

Please continue to post I love to hear what you have to say.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:11 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I think that as a TAC angel, I'm not spending any more than I would have normally. (It helps that our quarterly minimum is only $100.) Actually, even though I consider myself a hobby demo, I've had enough outside sales that I haven't had to spend any of my own $ yet. (Note that even though I haven't been forced to purchase my minimum, I've still bought stuff. LOL)

I'm not an exclusive TAC stamp user. I like stamps from most of the companies. I buy what I like.

Kimberly
Old 04-17-2007, 06:17 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scatty
thoughts, this is so very helpful I really appreciate it. This is my hope as well that it would put a control on my spending because right now I will go into a LSS and buy something just to buy something (if that makes sense) and really never put things to use.
I also lack in creative ideas and it is great to hear that for many of you it has increase your creativity.

Please continue to post I love to hear what you have to say.

Hi -

I find that access to this site and the CTMH demo board really has helped in my creativity. It is safe to say that I have become a better cardmaker.

I do spend less being a consultant, part of it is I know I can get the item I want at any time. I don't have to have it right now.

So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:21 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristransue
When I was a hobby demo for SU I think it was worth it. At the time I had the means to make my own minimums, and knowing I wanted to build my collection it was an excellent decision. I acquired all the ink pads, paper, and many stamp sets. I dropped the demoship when I realized I didn't need to spend 300 dollars a quarter anymore to enjoy my hobby. I am considering signing up with TAC sometime for the same reason, just waiting for the right time for me.
Exact same situation here,well except for the TAC part. I signed up with SU, got all the supplies I wanted/needed, and when I could no longer do the $300 a quarter myself, I gave it up. It worked well for me at the time. Of course, I always need more SU, but thats why I am in my uplines stampers club. I still get my fix every month, but I don't have to fork out $100.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:33 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Just a clarification...The TAC minimum is not $100/quarter (3 months). It's only $100/4 months. That's even less!!! That's only $25/month if you're spending your own $$$.
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Old 04-17-2007, 06:37 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm a TAC hobby demo also! Thats exactly why I signed up. The discount is great 25-30% and the minimums are nice and low. Plus if you order all your minumum order at once you can earn hostess benefits and get GWP stamps for free! It's one big fun box to open!
Old 04-17-2007, 06:38 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I am not one yet for SU but will be in July. I do think it is worth it. I just resigned from IRW because their shipping is nuts (anything up to and including 100.00 is 10.00 flat rate shipping, nuts) but I do think it is worth it since I buy tons of SU stuff.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:26 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

With TAC you only need to have $100. every 4 months to Stay Active.
And you recieve 30% off your own personal sales.
(Which I have only used twice since I joined TAC in 2004)

But I like earning that 25% back in a commission check. and I earn Career points by buying Retail.
Plus you can earn FREE stamps and prizes from TAC.

Before I joined TAC I was spending right around $25. a month on stamps and supplies Cause I was in a buyers club.
I'm a little more than a Hobby demo and want to do more with my stamping.

I purchase from other stamp companies as well.

I believe in spreading my (little bit) of money around.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

HI! I am a SU demo...hobbyist. I think my spending is probably the same. I am now "bulking up" on SU stuff and even when there is a 50% off coupon I have trouble finding something to buy at the craft stores (though I LOVE those IRis 12 X 12 containers). I'm not sure if it has really controlled my spending. I am trying to do more classes, so I find I am ordering a lot for that, but I think I break even. I hate the $300 minimum a quarter. Some quarters I do $1200, and some $100, so I wish it was a year-long number. Would make it soooo much easier! My hubby (the wonderful guy that he is) would allow me to spend the $300 a quarter since he knows how much I love it! I try not to, but even when I have good sales, it seems there's always something more that I want/need. My current obsession...the background stamps and stocking up on IN Color '07 before it disappears. Good luck in your decision. I would definitely suggest a club for whatever company your choose...it's the best way to make those minimums!
Jen
Old 04-17-2007, 03:43 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default memory-works

I'm curently a consultant for memory-works. I was a SU demo until Aug. of last year. I got out because I was mostly a hobby demo and when they raised the amount you needed to do to make a comission check I decided I couldn't affort to spend that much.
Memory works is much more up my alley. The paper is awesome and very close to SU. I still order SU when I really want something and not "need" to order it. I don't regret leaving SU except that I have to wait to see the deals and can't order when I "want". But on the same token I spend alot less for the same reason.
Hope I was able to give a little insight.
Have a great night!
Kelley
Old 04-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

I have been an SU demo for a few years now. If you can find a few regular customers it is definately worth it. I have one friend I share my discount with, and we struggle to cover the minimums.

I would say I buy more than I would because I want to stay active. If there was a good stamp store nearby I would probably quit - but I love the quality of SU and the color coordination, so I keep saying this will be my last quarter, and then I will be a customer again.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Which company is IRW?
Old 04-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I started being a personal use CTMH, but my friends took care of that real quick - they love CTMH and I am sellign quite a bit. My commissions pay for all my product now.

I am a personal use for Longaberger, but they have a $1000 annual minimum. CTMH is $100/annual for "Jr. Consultants" who get 10% off. To be active and get the 22% off, you have to do $300 a quarter.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:37 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I became a demo 4 years ago with the hopes of it being a business. That did not work for me so the past few years it has been a hobby (strickly discount ). It worked for a while and than my customers didn't order anymore. So I tried to keep it as a hobby myself. $100 dollars a month is way too much for me to come up with so I will be giving up my demoship this quarter. Yes the discount and early catalogs are great but if you can't guartentee that you can keep your minimums yourself than I wouldn't sign up. There has been one thing I learned from this experience is that you can't count on the same people to help you with your minimums (even friends). I would think long and hard about it first. JMO
Old 04-18-2007, 06:06 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by scatty
For those of you that are personal use consultants do you feel it is worth the savings that you are receiving? Has it helped control your spending or increased your spending? Is having access to product, and first hand information more of a benefit than the discount?
To answer your first question... the savings is awesome! When I got into stamping it was at an SU party. I knew immediately that this was a hobby that I wanted to begin (I was already a scrapbooker so I had a lot of paper crafting tools, embellies, etc.) But I needed stamps!
I figured that since I was starting from scratch to build up my stamping supplies (inks, embossing, stamps, etc) that it would make most sense to become a demo.
If I had purchased all of those items (even with coupons at ACM or Michaels) I would have spent way more.
Plus for me (who gets very obsessive about new hobbies and interests), it's helped me save money by focusing me in on one company. (At least for the stamps.) I am mostly a personal-use, hobbyist consultant but I don't discourage business either so I try to only use TAC images. Papers, embellies, and such I pick up anywhere if the price is right.

Second question.... it's cool to be on the inside track but that's not the main benefit. Saving money is definitely a higher priority (at least at our house.) HTH
Old 04-18-2007, 06:07 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by theresalaird
$100 dollars a month is way too much for me to come up with so I will be giving up my demoship this quarter.
I totally agree.... that's why TAC is a great option for those with a smaller hobby budget!
Old 04-18-2007, 06:08 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by banana.cream.pie
Which company is IRW?
I Remember When (scrapbooking direct sales)
Old 04-18-2007, 06:23 AM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

I do SU for personal use. Yes, I've probably bought more than I should but I love the product. The BIGGEST benefit I have gotten is the social aspect. I love attending my upline's meeting and learning techniques. Stamp camp is really fun. I went to regional in Salt Lake and we totally inspired. I'm 1000% happy that I'm a demonstrator.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:31 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

I'll let you know in a few months. But I did become a CTMH consultant because I was already averaging at least $200.00 a quarter on their product. I am actually hoping that by using more of their product that my scrapbook technique will step up a level.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:39 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

It is so worth it to me to have someone ELSE get the 20% for doing all the paperwork, paying taxes, keeping books, making deliveries, having to use their own supplies for 10 clubs, etc.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:47 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Forgive me for not reading the other posts before submitting one but I wanted to share my thoughts. I've just made the change from Business Demo for SU to Personal Use or Hobby Demo. I've found I am saving money now because I don't feel the pressure to have everything new to show others. I was spending far more than I was making for Business just cause I felt I had to have so much and I wasn't using the sets that have retired but I love.

Since I made the change I'm enjoying feeling no guilt for using an old set I can't demo but having access to all the latest and gratest at a discount, it's the best of both worlds for me.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:04 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Red face

I became a CTMH Consultant over a year ago after selling Pchef for over 5. I realized that scrapping and stamping was my true heart tug and rather than spending money with my now upline, I would make money myself and save too! Plus I would get to share these incredible products with others which is what I enjoy most.

I average about 2 shows per month and also have clubs which all help my sales, so I've never had a problem reaching the $300 quarterly requiremet. I average around 25% commission/mo. and I usually spent it on more products!! But I also help pay for other things for my family too which is nice.

I also think CTMH products work great with some of the other products out there and I don't discourage my customers from doing the same. I think that would be a huge turn off to them. There is a need for all of us in some way or another HTH!

Leslie
Your Close to My Heart consultant
Old 04-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

I spend less than I did because before I became a demo I worked at my LSS and when you see all that new stuff every day you think you've got to have it all and I was spending like crazy (partly because we got an insane discount and I thought "how can I not buy this"?)

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Old 04-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

I am strictly hobby and have been for about 8 months now. I've been able to make minimums so far without a problem but will quit whenever I feel like I'm buying things just to make minimums and not because I want them. I'm curious as to how many hobby demos team up with another person who's also only interested in the discount to keep going together.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Well hmmm....I can imagine demos giving their discount until they get started. I am planning to give my discount to my very best friends, they live long distance so I am sure that no one in the area will come to expect it.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

The thing that initially drew me to TAC was the cost of their stamps. Being unmounted, they are much much cheaper than wood mounted ones. Because, like the OP, I didn't want to have to spend alot of my own hard earned money to make the minimums. One thing to note: if you are a "hobby demo" for TAC - even though demos get a 30% discount, you'll want to order things at regular price. That's the only way it will count toward your $100/ev. 4 months requirement. BUT you get 25% back in a commission check so there's not much difference.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:13 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

I find this thread very interesting because I just found out my demo is moving to Florida (and I am in Michigan). I would love to become a hobby demo but am concerned about making the quarterly minimums. What happens when you don't make the $300/quarter? Are you still alllowed to order? What is the consequence? Can you make it up over the year or are you no longer considered a demo?

I've asked my demo about this but with a sick one year old and the chaos of moving, I thought I would get an answer faster here. Thanks!

Blessed Wife and Mom

Happy SU! Demo since May 2007
Old 04-22-2007, 06:12 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftCrazy98
I find this thread very interesting because I just found out my demo is moving to Florida (and I am in Michigan). I would love to become a hobby demo but am concerned about making the quarterly minimums. What happens when you don't make the $300/quarter? Are you still alllowed to order? What is the consequence? Can you make it up over the year or are you no longer considered a demo?

I've asked my demo about this but with a sick one year old and the chaos of moving, I thought I would get an answer faster here. Thanks!
I don't know what happens with other companies, but with CTMH you after your first full quarter, you would drop to Jr Consultant status. As a Jr Consultant, your discount would drop to 10% and you would need to sell/purchase $100 a year. The nice thing about that is if you reach the $300 sales mark in any given quarter, the 22% commission is restored

So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

But remember as a Jr consultant with CTMH, you do not get all the fun stuff including the mailings, lose all your downlines, etc. So if you can't do the 300.00 a quarter, and you like TAC stamps, then join them. If you can do 300.00 a quarter, then go with which company you like the best. I am going with SU because I already have 2 customers who will be shopping with me and between the 3 of us, we can do the 300.00 a qtr.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:28 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Actually it would be 286.00 approximately per quarter with my tax and shipping with either SU or CTMH.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:38 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

I am thinking of becoming a Stampin' Up demo. Does the same thing happen with them... going down to a Jr. Consultant and losing all the benefits?

Blessed Wife and Mom

Happy SU! Demo since May 2007
Old 04-22-2007, 06:46 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Signing up as an SU demo to get the discounts is wonderful for someone starting out brand new. It saved me from buying anything I could get my hands on, only to regret it later. It kept me focussed, so I probably spent much less in the long run.

That being said, now that I have learned the basics, I am ready to branch out, and find I am not as interested in staying 100% SU, so now it is time to consider dropping. But I know I have a solid foundation to work with.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:47 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftCrazy98
I am thinking of becoming a Stampin' Up demo. Does the same thing happen with them... going down to a Jr. Consultant and losing all the benefits?
Unfortunately not. There is one level of minimums for everyone. I wish we could drop down.....
Old 04-22-2007, 06:57 AM   #39  
Embossing Fanatic

Vicki
SU has the required $300 (retail) min every quarter. If you don't make it, you have one month to make up the amount you are short for that previous quarter.
So say you sold $175 (jan - feb - march) you have to make up the shortness of $125 in April and still get the required $300 in April - june and July). Does that make sense? If you were short say by $50 dollars for Jan- Feb- March ( made only $250) still have to make up the $50 in April
Now with CTMH you can make the quarter of $300 (retail sales) but if you fall short at any given time during the quarter you become a Jr Consultant (10% discount) but say you sell $300 the next quarter you become a Reg Consultant again. so you are never become inactive.
Hope this answered your's and anyone elses question.
Stamping Hugs
Nora
Old 04-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #40  
Crimping Master

What an interesting thread! You ladies answered a ton of questions for me, too! Thanks!!