Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Personal Bits and Bobs Challenge (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/personal-bits-bobs-challenge-645621/)

Wild Cow 11-04-2023 02:39 PM

Personal Bits and Bobs Challenge

I made a challenge to myself to use up previously made backgrounds, layers, embellishments etc. Some of the results are in my gallery (why in the earth did I die cut so many wavy ovals?). I throw all my extras in a drawer which now seem never ending. I'm now working my way through backgrounds. I decided I don't like Gelli prints- at least not the ones I have made.

I'm dreading finding a use for the ugly dollar store "fabric" flowers I bought- they looked good in the store. Any suggestions welcome.

When I finish the self imposed challenge- I hope I live long enough- I don't think I will ever make anything that I'm not using right away. I'm interested in hearing other opinions about "make ahead" elements.

Linda, still staring at an ugly Gelli print.

gaylestamps 11-04-2023 02:52 PM

I call that my leftovers bin, and whenever I cannot close it things MUST get used. I use ugly backgrounds for die cutting, some of these turn out awesomely which always surprises me. Despite my vows to USE IT NOW, some bits I cannot toss! [sigh]

hultenlk 11-05-2023 03:20 AM

Maybe you could also ink up an embossing folder and run through backgrounds you don’t love—that way only a bit of it will show through.

lutheran 11-05-2023 05:19 AM

I used to make a bunch of backgrounds at a time, experimenting with different inking techniques. I guess I'm over it, now I just make the background for the card at hand. To use bits, try making some tags (for use as tags or as part of a card front).
Mary Beth
p.s. Don't give up on your Gelli plate, I've made some cool stuff and have seen really good projects from others.

Wild Cow 11-05-2023 12:20 PM

Leftovers Bin

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaylestamps (Post 22284930)
I call that my leftovers bin, and whenever I cannot close it things MUST get used. I use ugly backgrounds for die cutting, some of these turn out awesomely which always surprises me. Despite my vows to USE IT NOW, some bits I cannot toss! [sigh]

Hi Gail,

How big is your leftovers bin? I keep picturing you sitting one of those big 35 gallon bins trying to pop the cover on so you don’t have to use an old element.

Linda

gaylestamps 11-05-2023 01:30 PM

LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Cow (Post 22285107)
Hi Gail,

How big is your leftovers bin? I keep picturing you sitting one of those big 35 gallon bins trying to pop the cover on so you don’t have to use an old element.

Linda

Nope, it is an old SU wood-mount stamp case.
Gayle

Cook22 11-06-2023 12:20 PM

I would second Gayle's suggestion of die-cutting backgrounds you don't like - they always look good and sometimes even more than just good.
I have the opposite problem with gel prints, I end up with too many I like and don't want to use because I could never recreate them. I have to make myself use them before I allow myself another session.

What size are the flowers? Are they multi layered or single layer? If they're not too big, maybe you could try this with them: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/r...ressedflowers/

TexasGrammy 11-06-2023 01:54 PM

Hmmmm ... for fabric flowers:
  • Spritz with inky spray or homemade with ink refill + water + mister.
  • Spritz with shimmery spray ... as above with Perfect Pearls added in or branded sprays for shimmer (with mica).
  • Apply glue to petal edges & dip in glitter.
  • Cut petal edges with poking shears or decorative scissors.
  • Glue a cool button or gem in the center.

lyndaejane 11-08-2023 03:18 AM

Stamping text onto backgrounds is often a way of making them more acceptable.

Lynda

wavejumper 11-08-2023 05:32 AM

How about stencil over a BG. Use a paste.

Lisa D. 11-08-2023 06:04 AM

When I have too many of anything, I will schedule a "sharing day" with my craft group. Everyone brings whatever leftovers they have for other crafters to adopt. Whatever is leftover is then given to newer crafters to use/experiment. That way, they can create long before they have the ability to finance buying new toys/supplies. Reference the flowers, do you have a Children's NFP; a daycare facility, or a school in your area that could use these art supplies?

Renata Joyner 11-08-2023 09:20 AM

@Wild Cow the only thing wrong with your Gelli prints is that they don't have enough layers, lol. Get your white acrylic paint out and cut a few paper masks and add more layers over the (thin layer of) white. Works every time. It's also good to understand which colours make mud. I've redeemed dozens of ugly prints with more layers, and got a bonus Gelli printing session in the process!

Natasha Foote had a video using fabric flowers. Not sure if she's your style but it may give you a few ideas.

susanbri 11-09-2023 07:10 AM

I was having a hard time getting rid of backgrounds so I had a young friend who is in high school and who is very artistic go through my bin - I told her she had full decision making power on what was worth keeping and what should be tossed. She tossed about half of it - straight into recycling and I didn't double check or try to pull anything out. I need to have her do that every year.

I'm now making some cards using up some of the backgrounds she kept. It's a chance to try some more mixed media stuff - layering on paste through a stencil, stamping a collage on them, etc. I'm going to try Leah's suggestion of inking up an embossing folder and running the piece through with that.

Wild Cow 11-13-2023 12:41 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have lots of new things to try.

~Linda

Wild Cow 11-16-2023 03:24 PM

Using your suggestions

1 Attachment(s)
I used a Gelli print using two of your suggestion- die cutting and inking. The turkeys wings were die cut from the print and edges inked.

Cook22 11-17-2023 11:05 AM

That print makes a great turkey!

deeth1 11-18-2023 02:04 AM

I die cut flowers, circles, ovals and other shapes that can be used for scrapbooking from my left over paper and cardstock scrap bin and send them to the Friends of Pine Ridge Indian Reservation School. They are one of the poorest schools in the US. They are also requesting paper, rubber stamps or ink pads. Here's a link for more info.