Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-28-2006, 06:18 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pastels - colored pencil or chalk?

OK ya'll.. I'm becoming obcessed w/ this pastel thang! When I think of pastels, I remember the little chalk-like 'crayons'... but then, I also remember charcoals as crayons.
Does anyone know for sure which - colored pencil or chalk - are true pastels? I thot I'd find the answer by reading thru the threads and not reveal my stupidity .. only to find that people are calling both colored pencil and chalk - 'pastels'.
If you know for positively certain, please answer so that I can get on with my life . TIA
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 08:12 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

As far as I know, and I am about 99.99% sure, the pastels are the chalks. I think the SU once are actually called Pastel chalks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 08:16 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hmmm... I think I'd be surprised me to see/hear someone using the terms "chalk pastels" and "colored pencils" interchangably, since they are in fact, two completely different things! LOL Colored pencils have a wax-like base and pastels are made of.. well, chalk! LOL My (uneducated ) opinion is that the chalks are the true pastels. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 08:52 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

When I was in art school pastels always reffered to chalk. The only time I remember colored pencils reffered to as pastel was when you were reffering to the specific color family, pastels, meaning softer, lighter tones & colors.

We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

My Gallery

My Blog: The Minister's Wife Stamps

The Dorks Frolic In The Dandy Patch
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2006, 09:04 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 137 Likes on 60 Posts

There are pastel pencils too - these are the ones I have:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz205/47a/

They are fun to use - you blend them with stumps and you have to spray w/ a fixative afterwards or they will smear.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 01:02 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I wouldn't call chalks pastels nor would I call colored pencils pastels. Pastels are chalk like with rich pigments. I used to use them in art classes. They are very pigmented. The chalks I have seen for rubber stamping are not as richly pigmented. So I call pastels -pastels, chalks - chalks, and colored pencils - colored pencils. It is easier on my brain that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 03:47 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

When I hear pastels I think of oil pastels. But in "stamping context" I try to remember we are talking about pastel chalks.

Now you're going to throw pastel pencils into the mix too?

Glad SU calls their 'pastel' color group "soft subtles" although more than once I've actually said "pale pastels"

AHHHH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 06:08 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I have accumulated and how they are labelled. If I've seen them in either SU! or TAC's catalog, I've indicated that. Other companies may or may not carry them - I only have the two catalogs!

Soft Pastels - have these in several different brands because I cannot resist a sale - they look like chalk, but the sticks are square, and they are very richly pigmented. You can use them like a crayon to draw with; you can also apply them with applicators like your SU Pastels. Mine all came from the art department at Michaels; neither SU nor TAC has these in their catalogs.

Pastel pencils - these look like colored pencils, but the "lead" is actually like the soft pastels. The wood casing keeps your hands clean, and because you can sharpen them, they make it easier to work on detailed images. (Work really really well for outlining the image and then blending-kind of like Prismacolors and Gamsol without needing the Gamsol. The effect is much softer, though.) I don't think SU sells these, but TAC has them in their catalog.

SU Pastels and/or Decorating Chalks - these are like the soft pastels, but formed into cakes like eyeshadow. The colors don't seem to be as intense, but that might be because you're not drawing with them and you always use an applicator. Both SU and TAC have these; different brands though.

Oil Pastels - remember Cray-Pas when you were in school? These are much like coloring with crayons, but much softer and more blendable. I keep a separate set of stumps to use with these. You can use these for really cool background paper by doodling on some cardstock and then blending it together with baby oil on a cotton ball. Again, I don't think either company carries these.

Water-Soluble Oil Pastels - found these one day at OfficeMax and they're a lot of fun. They seem to be similar to watercolor crayons, but softer. You can blend them with your finger, or stumps, or you can use a paintbrush and water to get a watercolor effect. Neither company carries these.

Colored pencils are a different animal entirely - although the light-colored ones would be pastel shades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 09:13 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Wow.. this is gettin' right down to the 'nitty gritty'! Thank you all for responding. Now, I feel my confusion was justified. Prismacolor info doesn't shed any light.. and I've never gone to Dick Blick to check. I did after Dini posted that link. While there, I surfed around a little. Found this page of links that list.: soft pastels, oil pastels, etc:
http://www.dickblick.com/categories/pastels/
With ya'lls help, I've concluded pastels are totally separate to themselves.. being non-oil and oil. Apparently a lot of people are simply not informed (like me) about the word 'pastel' and use it wrongly.. maybe largely because manufacturers don't make this clear, assuming their consumers are 'in the know' about what they're purchasing. Duh!! How much time have I spent in Michaels reading bottles, pkgs, etc.
Also, the word pastel being applied to a shade of a color.. which probably came about because pastels go on softly and pale.. geeze.. yeah, nitty gritty.
Again, thank ya'll so very much. I'm so wiped out by everyone's kindness and help here.
May God bless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 11:38 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbet
Oil Pastels - remember Cray-Pas when you were in school? These are much like coloring with crayons, but much softer and more blendable. I keep a separate set of stumps to use with these. You can use these for really cool background paper by doodling on some cardstock and then blending it together with baby oil on a cotton ball. Again, I don't think either company carries these.
I have some of these -- a present I received long ago that I never used because I had no clue what to do with them and if they could ever be used for stamping. Thanks for providing the background technique -- I'll have to try it. Any other stamping uses for oil pastels?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 12:26 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Again, thank you everybody for all this great info.. I knew SCS has some really great artists w/ 'hands-on expertise'.. and w/ big 'ole hearts to go w/ it.
No one could tell I haven't had any formal artist training.. right?
I'm gonna print all this for 'at-hand' reference when I reach for one of these colorin tools.. and it'll be kept with them!!
May God bless you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2006, 02:51 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 137 Likes on 60 Posts

Re: www.dickblick.com too......if you are a member of www.ebates.com you can get a 6% rebate.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes