Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-27-2007, 06:33 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Default Paperlicious blog entry?

Did anyone read Joan's entry on her Paperlicious blog?? Very well said about the 'neurotic stamper' which I think there are a few of us out there. I thank you, Joan, for bringing up this topic with a well written essay on the subject. It spoke to a lot of people. I have already 'seen the light' and am much happier now and am enjoying my stamping way more. If you are feeling any 'stress' with stamping (which you really shouldn't unless you are freelancing and trying to get published), you should read the 'stampers' neurosis' entry on her blog.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:39 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Just Me

Thumbs up

I read it!! And it is too true, well thought out, courageous, honest....I could go on, but others should just read it!!!!! Here is a link:

Paperlicious
UK ~ US ~ Spectrum Noir
Old 02-27-2007, 06:56 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

It's a great entry! I am glad she didn't pack up her stuff & quit being a stamper because I really like the cards she makes!!

Personally, I don't feel competitive here. I don't have a gallery & I probably never will. I enjoy this hobby for myself & that's it. I love all of the info & insight I get here, but have never felt the need to create a gallery of my own. Stamping is relaxing to me, not stressful.

I do understand how it could be competitive - we all want to be 'good' right away but with any hobby, sport, etc. - practice is the key to improvement.

Anne
Old 02-27-2007, 07:45 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Joan's entry on Stamper's Neurosis was indeed very well written and one of the most insightful articles I've read--I truly admire those with the courage to dig deep and get to the truth of the issue . . . it's not easy.

Art, stamping, blogging, etc. is what we choose to make it for ourselves; if we are sharing our art, or online journals (blogs) for the purpose of approval, comments, praise, "views" by others, fear of not being recognized or of losing recognition, gaining a "following", etc. then it becomes a situation where we are self-imposing a tremendous amount of pressure and undue negative energy.

While I cannot speak for anyone else, and wouldn't presume to, I have to ask:

Is the cost of that sort of personal validation worth all that, when all is said and done?

To what end?

Speaking for myself only: By turning it into a competition, I ultimately lose, and lose big time.

No, thanks--I think I'll pass. What I'd really like is to just have fun with what I'm doing.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #5  
Just Me

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Joan's entry on Stamper's Neurosis was indeed very well written and one of the most insightful articles I've read--I truly admire those with the courage to dig deep and get to the truth of the issue . . . it's not easy.

Art, stamping, blogging, etc. is what we choose to make it for ourselves; if we are sharing our art, or online journals (blogs) for the purpose of approval, comments, praise, "views" by others, fear of not being recognized or of losing recognition, gaining a "following", etc. then it becomes a situation where we are self-imposing a tremendous amount of pressure and undue negative energy.

Is the cost of that sort of personal validation worth all that, when all is said and done?

To what end?

Speaking for myself only: By turning it into a competition, I ultimately lose, and lose big time.

No, thanks--I think I'll pass. What I'd really like is to just have fun with what I'm doing.

Well said!!
UK ~ US ~ Spectrum Noir
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2007, 07:48 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Agreed! I sent a message to Joan this morning about the same entry. I just want to have fun doing what I like to do with the stuff that I like. No strings attached, just FUN!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:25 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

To what end?

So true. When it becomes a competition it starts feeling like alot of work instead of fun.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I read this the day she posted it. I have to say, I'd be surprised if any fewer than 85% of stampers could relate to it! I know I've felt like "going off-line" for quite some time now, simply because it's gotten to the point where I'm always pining for "the old days," when stamping was just about creating, about fun, about simply sharing. I don't remember a time when there was so much "need" for validation and recognition for "being first" to do something.

I'm so glad Joan brought the elephant out in to the open, lol. Will it fix anything? Probably not. It might get people to thinking, though....
Old 02-27-2007, 09:09 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

I saw it on the day too and I also left a reply to her and on my blog, she really articulated what I have been feeling. I really love this site, it is my internet home, but I was putting way too much pressure on myself, so Joan really made me think about why I craft.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

It is so much easier for me to stamp when I am not trying to copy. I find I make creations that are reflective of my personality. That is truly what I want to give away as gifts/cards. I think Joan articulated what I discovered for myself a few months back, I am just not as eloquent!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Old 02-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: In my Happy Place with no one bothering me....I hope!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
So true. When it becomes a competition it starts feeling like alot of work instead of fun.
Absolutely!! I agree 100%!
I used to mass produce lots of cards and sell them (a year or so ago) and then it just became work, so I stopped and just took a step back. No more of that for me....
As far as "competition" goes.....I am a bit confused by the thinking that posting here is a "competition". I do it totally for my pleasure and enjoyment. If people like it, great.....
I come to SCS for inspiration and fun. And that is exactly what I get!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:34 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbrooketrout
As far as "competition" goes.....I am a bit confused by the thinking that posting here is a "competition". I do it totally for my pleasure and enjoyment. If people like it, great.....
I come to SCS for inspiration and fun. And that is exactly what I get!
Sounds like a healthy attitude!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Old 02-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Default paperlicious

Her entry is a good perspective. I look at it this way- my experience on SCS is a challenge to me. I am always challenging myself to try new things. I am a Technique Junkie, and I love to do the Technique and Sketch challenges, plus love the new featured stamper challenge. I have a gallery to make a virtual library of what I have made, not to get comments from others.
I can guarentee I have cards that have only one or two comments that my family and friends have googled over!!! So, to me SCS is a source of inspiration and a source of self-challenge. My best feeling of self satisfaction is the Technique Junkies yahoo group. We share our creations, and have a 1-on-1 swap each month which I participate in. As with SCS, there are very talented artists and beginners- and all of those in between. My goal is not to be like 'them or her' , it is to move to a new level of art as I see it!!!

Hugs,
Shelly
Old 02-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsbrooketrout
As far as "competition" goes.....I am a bit confused by the thinking that posting here is a "competition". I do it totally for my pleasure and enjoyment. If people like it, great....
Sue, you'd have to read Joan's blog entry, (link posted above) as well as the comments posted in response to her entry, to fully understand the references mentioned here with regards (perspective wise) to "competition" . . .
Old 02-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: In my Happy Place with no one bothering me....I hope!

Quote:

Sue, you'd have to read Joan's blog entry, (link posted above) as well as the comments posted in response to her entry, to fully understand the references mentioned here with regards (perspective wise) to "competition" . . .
I did read it after I posted.
I figured there was something I was missing (not unusual for me.....lol!) I found the link as I went back to re-read everything. I feel much more enlightened! Thanks!!
Old 02-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Default loved it!

yes; I loved Joan's post. It really made me think! And I get this way about my SU! business sometimes too; Sometimes we all need a little smack in the face to help us remember what brought us here to SCS, to blogging, to Stampin' Up!... it wasn't so we could get on the "top 50" lists, or get the most recruits on our teams; but because we LOVE TO STAMP and create!

I really took Joan's post to heart, it was a great perspective!

Thanks Joan!

Old 02-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Oh, that blog post was a great post. That was an eye opener for me. (Actually, I think it was an eye opener for many of us if we are being honest about it.)

Anyone who has the "stamping top 50" logo on their blog obviously cares about it. KWIM? Now that's not a bad thing and I don't mean that in a bad way. But I cant say, "I have that on my blog but I don't care about it." That's just plain silly and no one believes that. I have it on mine. It was really cool at first. I loved seeing my number go up. I remember when it went into the top 50. Oh, man. My husband even got excited for me. (He didn't know why, he just was so happy to be excited! LOL!)

But, about a month or a month and a half ago, I made the stats private so I didn't have to look at that number every time I went on to my own blog. (I usually start at my own blog to read the other blogs that I have linked up to mine.) That number would be staring me in the face. Uh-oh, I'm down a bit....Yippeee!!! I'm up today. It was worse than my mood swings during PMS! LOL!

I still check it every now and then and it never really changes that much. And now, I don't worry about it at all. (But if you'll notice, I still haven't taken it off. LOL! (rolls eyes...)

I think the beauty of Joan's post is that we all enjoy some sort of validation at times from people we respect but when enjoyment becomes need and need becomes obsession, we forget why we are all here to begin with. STAMPING! I love stamping. And, the thing that usually takes the stress of any of that stuff away is stamping. And in that, we are all truly sisters...family. And family doesn't care what our numbers are, how many hits we got. Family cares that we are happy and healthy, enjoying the simplest things that life has to offer. Like the way it feels when we are done every part of the card but the greeting, and we ink it up, then carefully, line it up... and ahhhhhh.... perfect. Now that makes me truly happy!

Gina K.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I just went and read Joan's blog and the subsequent comments. It was very enlightening and she stated her feelings (and others) so eloquently.

If I admit it to myself, I have probably felt some sense of competition at times. However, I would say overall that I am happiest when 1) I have fun making the card (no matter how long it takes) and 2) the person receiving the card is touched that I would make something specifically for them. That remains my greatest source of validation.

SCS is a wonderful resource for techniques, creativity and very informative. It is helping me grow as a stamper to try new things. I have also *met* some wonderful people who share my passion. Validation from other stampers is a bonus to me. But, I don't stamp for them... I stamp for me! I realize that everyone has different tastes and styles. But as long as I'm having fun and enjoying what I create then ultimately nothing else matters.

Life is too short to be stressing about something that should be fun. I always try to remember that I am too blessed to be stressed!

Blessed Wife and Mom

Happy SU! Demo since May 2007
Old 02-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am ROTFL! I put so much pressure on myself to make Just that one card one day that everyone will just go nuts about! I just loved her post! Yes, you can put me in the nuerotic club! thanks for the post...it was great!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=37017

Stampin' Up Sr.Supervisor
www.sodanajones.blogspot.com
Old 02-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

I can definately feel the understanding! This just reminded me of the time when I felt that someone had copied something of mine and I posted something in the demo forum about it. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, I am not a freakin' genius. It's just a card! It's just something I did.

I am an Aries. I am competetive by nature. So, for me it's not necessarily a bad thing. I started a blog because I wanted to see how it went and it stunk. (But, I also was looking for comments.) I wasn't good at updating so, I unstarted my blog.
But, I am still going to post my pictures and look to see how many comments I get and read each and every comment and feel fabulous about it! Because it makes me feel good. Deep down, I am feeling competetive. But, I think I'm proving something too. I'm proving that I am good at this and that I should feel proud of myself. And that it's okay. It's my "thing." (Christina on Grey's can have Merideth as her "person" and I'm going to have stamping as my "thing.")

What I've learned about this is that a) I don't like to copy. I like having my own ideas - are they necessarily original, no, but they are my own cards. b) I've branched out - I like working with other companies. I'm beginning to think that I might do some other stuff - that maybe I could find my own style and do my own thing.

I don't know if this makes sense. Granted, I am not a dirty girl. But, posting and challenging myself to do better really makes me feel like one. I have a lot to learn, but I am talented in my own league!
~Kendra
Old 02-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I soooo agree with Joan... What she has said in her blog is the main reason I stepped back from my blog a few months ago. I honestly haven't stamped since September, and although I was updating my blog with family and personal stuff, I did have all the counters on there, and yes, for me, it did become a competition - as in, do I have more hits that "such and such" or "what number am I today?"... and I felt like if I wasn't posting stamping related stuff anymore I shouldn't have the stamping related stuff on there. Joan and I discussed this at the time - I had told her I was going to completely delete my blog, but she talked me into keeping it. I have been on hiatus since November or December, and I feel so much better not stressing about it.

I just recently thought about starting another new blog with a different domain but I think I'm going to let that one lapse too... when and if I get the time to stamp again, I have my gallery to share in here, but I think that will be the only place it will be.

Joan, my friend, best of luck to you and congrats on your decision! I know it's not an easy one, but I believe you will not regret it!

BLINGO
Old 02-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Joan updated her blog with a part II.
I really enjoy her!
She is well written and always interesting.

Gina K.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidill
Did anyone read Joan's entry on her Paperlicious blog?? Very well said about the 'neurotic stamper' which I think there are a few of us out there. I thank you, Joan, for bringing up this topic with a well written essay on the subject. It spoke to a lot of people. I have already 'seen the light' and am much happier now and am enjoying my stamping way more. If you are feeling any 'stress' with stamping (which you really shouldn't unless you are freelancing and trying to get published), you should read the 'stampers' neurosis' entry on her blog.
yep I've felt that way too! I don't upload here very often.......my blog is my oasis now (when I have something to share I update it) and when I have time to submit to publications, I do... I'm a lot less stressed now. Sometimes I just don't have time to stamp and it used to make me crazy... but now I know I will have time again and it's not something I have to do everyday (but I can if I want too)... ok so I can't write like Joan but I agree with everything she said.

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If youíve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Old 03-01-2007, 06:24 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaK
Joan updated her blog with a part II.
I really enjoy her!
She is well written and always interesting.

Gina K.
Ditto!