Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
Did anyone else see the announcement? Paper Crafts AND Creating Keepsakes and
joining together - that is why the name will be Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking.
This is an email I received that talks about the merger.
Papercrafts, Creating Keepsakes Magazines To Merge, End Print Editions

Cindy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #42  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a bill in the mail. Nothing was said about them going online only.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #43  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And the bill was for $35.00 for a Year!

I'm not paying that much at all!!!!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I think the handwriting was on the wall. Here's the announcement:

As a valued contributor to Paper Crafts magazine, I wanted to be sure you received this information directly. It was also posted on our blog this morning.

As you know, magazine publishing has been rapidly evolving. More and more information is available online where inspiration is immediate, up-to-date and easy to use and share. For the last several issues, the full version of Paper Crafts magazine has been available to you in digital format with a smaller, companion print version.

I'm delighted to share that, starting in January, Paper Crafts magazine is now going to be published monthly in a digital-only format. This new monthly format means we will be able to bring you the latest trends, advice, techniques and inspiration faster than ever!

We're also changing the name of our magazine to Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking, to reflect the addition of memory-keeping and photo-based features in each issue. You'll continue to enjoy the same paper crafting inspiration you love...with even more in the new monthly Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking.

Although the November/December issue will be the last one in print, subscribers will continue to receive Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking magazine in digital format and will get two issues for every one issue left in each subscription.

Thanks for your support of Paper Crafts over the years, and we look forward to working with you on this new venture!
Very interesting! I just got a renewal notice with a free subscription (not that I'm going to renew). Now there was NOTHING on this about going fully digital. The last few issues have been thin, 66 pages. Their content is not worth the price, nor is having to boot up every time I want inspiration. I will not renew, and if they think I want the digital for the duration of my sub, they're crazy! I'm a hands on whenever I want girl, not having to go through pages of stuff on the internet to get to what I want.
This is as bad as looking at the Michaels ad on line, it takes 4 different pages to get to finally seeing the ad, and then there's nothing new in there.

I don't have a digital reader and don't want a digital reader. Yes, I'm in the dark ages, but I like it there.

All this said, I'm glad there's Splitcoast and Pinterest, they pretty much fulfill any inspiration needs.

Have fun and be creative!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by mother's daughterView Post
...Snip... I don't have a digital reader and don't want a digital reader. Yes, I'm in the dark ages, but I like it there .
All this said, I'm glad there's Splitcoast and Pinterest, they pretty much fulfill any inspiration needs.
We must be next door neighbors in the dark ages. Glad to have the company. ;-) I used to think that I was a just a Luddite, but I finally realized that that's it's not so much that I'm not ready for the technology as it is that technology isn't ready for me. I don't want any new technology that doesn't make my life better in some way. I already have enough technology that interferes with my life: printers that don't print, photocopiers that get paper jams, computers that freeze and die at the most inconvenient moments, etc. I do want an e-reader now. One day I'll own a smart phone. Eventually I'll update Windows, though I'll probably go from Win 7 to Win 10! LOL And I do quite like SCS and YouTube stamping/crafting/art vids!
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #46  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PC was the last magazine I subscribed to and I ended that over a year ago. It was the same old same old stuff in it that led me not to renew.
I LOVED Rubber Stamper - wish they would come back!

I don't mind digital issues - frankly I am on the internet enough and I have a tablet so it is easy to read, but there are some things I would expect from a digital publication:
1. Don't charge as much as a print mag for subscription. There is no paper or postage involved in digital so it should be cheaper.
2. More content - and it should be up to date. It should not take 4 months to put something together in this digital age.
3. Variety - and allow more people to be published.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #47  

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I LOVE Stamper's Sampler! That and Memories. Both issues come out very soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

Oh my! If this is true it's VERY sad news. I DID notice that the mag had become thinner. SO SAD! I am old school too! I sit at the computer long enough! It's SO MUCH easier to be able to flip through pages and I can take it with me ANYWHERE! I don't have a digital reader. There are some things that make me SAD about the new age we are living in! SIGH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #49  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I like having the magazine in my hand. I can pick it up and flip thru it. I hate digi stuff. I am not a tech geek.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Well for me it's not so much getting thinner as the content. I have been so disappointed.I really losit when I saw them using toothpicks, and bottle caps and straws glued onto their cards.Seriously ..these are supposed to be professionals turning out these cards for inspiration. it just seems like they were just interested in filling pages and putting in anything they could get their hands that was submitted. I have a number of older mags from even a year ago which were filled with good ideas and well designed cards. Like to keep my mags for future reference. in fact for several years when I saw the latest issue I would purchase it without even looking inside as I knew I would not be disappointed. I soon started flipping through an issue before plunking down my hard earned money when I noticed a decline in the content. Perhaps If they did not lower their standards they would not have to resort to digital due to lack of sales.Off my soap box. Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NwPView Post
Digital only, eh? Well, then this is goodbye to Paper Crafts mag. I, too, like to have something in my hand to look at for inspiration.

What a bummer. The last few issues have only been 60-some pages, but a couple of years ago I thought it was the best crafting magazine (for me) EVER.
I 100% agree! I also noticed that my amazon subscription to papercrafts has been canceled (before my year is up) -- I had it on auto-renew for years -- I'm hoping there's some kind of refund coming...
I was actually on amazon to check on my subscription to see when it expires, and take it off auto-renew since it's just not doing anything for me any more. :(

I'm sad cause I like magazines!! I love to hold them and keep them in the car or my purse, or by my bed. Digital is so not the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #52  
Hardware Hotshot

Sadly I think most magazines are going down this path
Years ago I did Parchment craft. In the beginning the magazine was exquisite. I barely could wait to get my next issue.

Then gradually the quality of the patterns and designs diminished until I lost interest in the magazine. They tried digital and then finally stopped publishing the magazine. I and many others do not like digital magazines .

A large part of the problem is many magazine editors are unwilling to fairly compensate the artists for their time and materials.

No experienced and talented artist is willing to spend days developing a layout or idea , drawing the pattern , writing the directions and providing photos only to receive a few magazines in payment.

These editors want the artists to invest their own money to buy the newest products & supplies to showcase the latest trends and they want them to submit print ready work.

As a result the only submissions they received were from inexperienced , unknown designers who were just starting out and willing to do this just to be able to say they were published .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I have my Nov/Dec - received it yesterday. Really disappointed in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2013, 04:57 AM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
I have my Nov/Dec - received it yesterday. Really disappointed in it.
Was it the digital version? It's too bad, really, when you consider how papercrafters love to make holiday cards. You'd think that issue would be chock full.

Maybe they'll concentrate more on those special edition publications....the ones that cost an arm and a leg. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

I just got my issue too. A lot of the issue was dedicated to making a set of Christmas cards that was less than $5. It seemed geared toward new stampers who can pick up some stickers and cardstock at Michael's, not toward experienced stampers who already have a fully stocked craft room.

That said, I think their online content will need to be geared more toward mid/experienced stampers to be successful. I don't think the casual crafter will find their online content on the internet, the way she might find their magazine on the newsstand.

I will miss getting a physical magazine in my mailbox, and will probably purchase the special issues. I do like their moxiefab blog, and wonder how their online magazine will compare to that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
Was it the digital version?
Mine was the hard copy. I believe it is their last hard copy issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #57  
Compulsive Stamper

I am sadly finding that the majority of stamping and papercraft magazines are getting more and more disappointing, and majority of pages are devoted to ads or simplistic designs that just dont appeal . Over the years i have collected copies of The Rubber Stamper after being given one and loving the content. I find myself continually rereading them for inspiration and detailed articles and wish they would bring it back. I especially loved the section on Stamping Rooms and over the years taken ideas and used them in the different rooms available in the houses we have lived in. Hubby has built a room in the shed for me and since we have bought and wont be moving for many years i am trying to slowly work on setting it up. After being hit by a car in January i have been unable to work, but spend a few minutes each day trying to organise it . But it will get there ��
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #58  
Polyshrink Goddess

Today I received what will be the last print edition of Paper Crafts Magazine. Said so on the inserted flyer. Gave instructions on how to access the digital edition. Such a disappointment for a magazine that has the word PAPER in it and is for paper crafters. Duh! Call me old fashioned or whatever but I like a paper copy of a magazine.
And yes I do have an iPad and still like a paper copy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #59  
Kookie Creator

I received a renewal with a free gift subscription. No thanks. I'll still go to the website and buy older issues and the larger book type card magazines when at clearance. I like the Scrap and Stamp magazine. But it seems it's getting thin by the articles and content. Why can't a USA company make a magazine like Papercrafting inspiration from the UK?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #60  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by STYXROCKSMEView Post
I received a renewal with a free gift subscription. No thanks. I'll still go to the website and buy older issues and the larger book type card magazines when at clearance. I like the Scrap and Stamp magazine. But it seems it's getting thin by the articles and content. Why can't a USA company make a magazine like Papercrafting inspiration from the UK?
That's one of the things I don't understand. As US magazines are shutting down publication left and right, the UK seems to be ramping up publication of some really great magazines, including a lot of new titles, too. The Simple Things, Molly Makes, Cross Stitcher, and so many more. I'm purchasing these off the stands now, and I have to say, their artwork seems to be far superior to the trends currently in the US market.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #61  
Insane Embellisher

I just called and cancelled my subscription after I received the final print version and they will be sending me a refund for the remainder of my subscription. Here are the phone numbers if you need them.

800-727-2387 (US) | 386-597-4387 (Int'l)

They were in teeny tiny print at the bottom of their Subscriber Services page which wanted you to log in to manage your subscription. I also saw that was where you log in to view the digital extras which I've never done. I do have an e-reader, tablet, laptop and desktop computer. However, I already have access to tons of digital content and it's free.

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #62  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by holtzfanView Post
I love crafting and photography magazines from the UK. They have tremendous content and production values. England's great literary and education traditions really shine through. Giant Photoshop specials with wonderful matching tutorials on CD-ROM were only around $13 at big box book stores that closed, but the same types of magazines are insanely expensive by subscription from the US. It takes forever to get them in the mail and they're often badly damaged with bonus items missing. A long drive the the nearest remaining Barnes & Noble is the only hope of finding single copies in this region.
This is so funny because I JUST drove to Barnes and Noble TODAY so that I could pick up some of my fave UK magazines! My B and N store is at least 20-30 minutes away, too. I have a B and N membership card, so I save a little on my pricey magazines this way. The UK magazines are definitely worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #63  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I just renewed (last month) my subscription to Paper Crafts and last week received a letter that they were going all digital. I emailed customer service and complained and I am now awaiting a full refund. I am just a card maker and not all that interested in the scrapbooking . I can get other magazines with a 40%off coupon at Hobby Lobby. Hate to see them go, but a sign of the times for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastamperView Post
I just called and cancelled my subscription after I received the final print version and they will be sending me a refund for the remainder of my subscription. Here are the phone numbers if you need them.

800-727-2387 (US) | 386-597-4387 (Int'l)

They were in teeny tiny print at the bottom of their Subscriber Services page which wanted you to log in to manage your subscription. I also saw that was where you log in to view the digital extras which I've never done. I do have an e-reader, tablet, laptop and desktop computer. However, I already have access to tons of digital content and it's free.
Thank you so much for posting this. I had tried and tried to get my new "digital account" set up with absolutely no success. This frustration, on top of my displeasure about their decision to move to digital content only caused me to call that toll free number you posted this morning. I am expecting a check in the mail and I can't thank you enough for posting this at the perfect time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #65  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
OK, please don't tar and feather me & beat me silly. But I actually like the ads in my print craft magazines and have really been sad at the reduction in the number of ads. I'm talking about total number of ads, not ad to editorial content ratio, I've discovered new (to me) stamp companies, websites and products.

Anyone besides me still mourning the loss of the Rubber Stamper magazine?
Dea
I won't tar & feather you, lol. I love the ads too in magazines. I freely and proudly admit I have bought a magazine just because I loved the ads!

I buy and subscribe to a lot of magazines. I am a magazine junkie. I use my magazines for my art journaling and making collages. I really hope that print magazines never go out of style. I am one of those crazy people that will drop $20 on one magazine. It usually is a copy of Vogue from Russia or France.

I do love digital magazines too. I guess this is where I will get tarred and feathered. I prefer my craft magazines in digital. I like to go over and over them again. I don't have to store or dust them. I am very picky about buying digi magazines. I must be able to access the library of back issues. The digi issues must be unique in article content. Not written by somebody who spent all day looking at Pinterest.

Fashion & home magaziness I prefer in print since I use them for my art & design work. I do enjoy looking through the digital libraries too. Vogue lets subscriber's go back through all the issues ever published.

All that being said Paper Crafts magazine has been a very weak magazine in the last few years. I hope their new digital will be refreshing and exciting.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #66  
Kookie Creator

The closest B&N is 90 min away. Past few visits very few magazines for cards or scrapbooking. Usually there are so many magazines I can't decide. The manager said they stock based on what people buy. So people must not want scrapbook/card making magazines. I do!! I want more options for card magazines.
Reply With Quote Likes