Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   paper trimmer (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/paper-trimmer-599/)

jan.stamp 04-16-2004 07:26 AM

paper trimmer

I couldn't find a thread discussing this so I thought I'd ask your help. I'm in desperate need of a paper trimmer that cuts straight. I've tried the Fiskar trimmers (all styles, even the new triple track) and am disgusted. Has anyone used the Dahle or Genesis? I've heard that it takes 6 months for the Genesis and cost over $200--is it worth the cost and wait?
(I mistakenly posted this in the SU! demo section only but would like everyone's input)

Happy Heart 04-16-2004 02:10 PM

I'm surprised that you haven't had any luck with the Fiskars paper cutters. I have two large cutters and one small, and I love them. I also have a small guillotine style cutter from Creative Memories that has served me well for cutting very small pieces.

mycattracks 04-16-2004 02:36 PM

When using your large Fiskers cutter make sure that the blade is screwed down tightly!also make sure the bar is pushed down firmly it holds the paper in place. I too had trouble at first but I kept practicing and now I won't use anything else. Practice on anything!!! junk mail is the best!!!
practice practice practice you'll get it :idea: and there won't be anything you won't cut. The 12" cutter is perfect with the scoring blade to make perfect folds. Best of luck

Sherrie 04-16-2004 02:45 PM

I have the Carl Heavy-Duty Rotary Cutter (DC-210) and really like it. It doesn't cut pieces smaller than about 2", so I use a smaller manual cutter for those. But it does cut several sheets (I know I've cut 10 or more) at one time. Even though I am a SU hobby demo, I still use it all the time because I make more than one card at a time--or when I'm doing cards for swaps.

Sherrie

lindalee 04-16-2004 03:01 PM

I use the big Fiskars cutter. I noticed that my cuts were getting crooked because the cutting strip was worn crooked and the blade was following a bowed line. I used the same strip for 3 years so I did get my money's worth, but I guess those strips aren't made to last forever!

qcbetty 04-16-2004 04:27 PM

I agree - Fiskars are the best. Just make sure the wheel's in tight and check the cutting strip....I find the strips hard to find so I usually buy a few when I get a new one. I've been using mine for over a year and I threw out the other two I had!

It does take a bit of practice - it's true - but you'll find it's the best once you're used to it!

Other than that, the only other way I go is with an Olfa rotary cutter with my straight edge (it's actually a center point ruler from Lee Valley - it's awesome!!!). That works great!

Best of luck!
:)

jreks 04-16-2004 05:55 PM

I too have had difficulty with my Fiscars cutter (12 inch). I originally got it for something smaller and more portable than my traditional, big, bulky paper cutter. It was brand new but I got so fed up with crooked and bowed cuts that I shoved it in a drawer and forgot about it until I read this forum topic. Do you think I got a defective one? Is this thing worth getting out and trying again?? Or is this one of those "you get what you pay for" things and at only $14, I shouldn't have expected much.

JoAnn

pepperann 04-16-2004 08:47 PM

Paper Cutters.....

In my humble opinion the Fiskar's is junk. I had nothing but trouble with mine.
I had the Carl RT-200 and loved it, but took it apart to clean it (a whole other story) and couldn't get it back together again! (Alot like Humpty Dumpty :oops: !!) I then got the Cutterpede and like it very much. I have replaced the blade once and am happy with it. It certainly is easier to put in my Generations Tote Bag and believe me, that baby is FULL of stuff!
JMHO, but I can't see paying a large amount of $$$ on a cutter, no matter how good they say it is.

8) 8) 8)

Kurstan 04-17-2004 09:39 AM

I love my Fiskars, though, recently have noticed that the ends of my paper are coming out a little crooked. I've had it (and the same blade) for over 2 years!!! I will try replacing the blade and if that doesn't help I'll replace my cutter - but I definitely got my money's worth!!!

JanTInk 04-17-2004 04:38 PM

paper cutters

I have the small Fiskars that SU! sells and the larger rolling Fiskars cutter. The rolling cutter definitely needs the cutting mat part changed as often as you can. It gets a groove cut in it and then the cardstock comes out with a feathered rough edge. What I usually do is pry it up and turn it around, since one end is usually the one with a deep groove. That way I get more use out of it.

If you want to save on blades, though, check the quilting department for a rotary blade sharpener. I have used this to sharpen my Fiskars blades and it works very well. It only works for the larger blades, but you could check to see if they've come out with one for the smaller blades.

I find that the times I get a crooked cut on the big one are when the paper is glossy, making it harder for the bar to hold it down or when I have not pushed the bar all the way down.

As far as the small ones, you can get a straight cut, but you have to make sure you are pushing only on the blade, not pushing the blade against the sides of the bar, making them bend. It's not meant for making production cuts, but is a portable cutter that you can take with you, so you can't expect it to be as good as a larger cutter.

I've debated about getting a better small cutter, but I'm really waiting to see if SU! puts a better cutter in the new catalog. I don't want to buy something I can't use to demonstrate with.

sarahjane 04-17-2004 05:39 PM

paper cutter

I have too have the large fiskar and the smallest cutter - the smaller one is fine, nice and portable, I really don't like the big one. I can't tell where it will cut very well? :?
But I have to say I keep going back to my quilting ruler and a hand rotary cutter or a small utiltiy knife - I can see everything throught the ruler - although it is not for multiple cuts at one time - the other thing is you need a mat to cut on --so not all that portable..

My two cents
Sarah

Darline Woloshyn 04-21-2004 07:27 AM

Has anyone tried the flatbed XActo rotary cutter? I'm looking at getting something other than my 12" Fiskars and the options in my town are limited. I can't afford the Carl cutter but I need something better than what I have.

Darline in Nanaimo, BC

Linda Verderame 04-21-2004 11:07 AM

I have all three types. The large Fiskar, small Fiskar and the Karl Cutter. The larger Fiskar's cutting mat must be changed when it is worn or it will cut crooked. The smaller Fiskar cutter must be lined up exactly or you could get a crooked cut. I love my Karl Cutter. That too must be lined up exactly to get a straight cut. The advantages to the Karl Cutter is that once it's straight you can cut multiple sheets of card stock. Hope this helps. Linda :D

angeldoxie 04-21-2004 11:23 AM

I have both the small and the larger fiskars and have not been very happy with them either. I have worked at Kinko's for many years and find that the hand trimmers we have there are fantastic but they are pricey ($300-400 for the smallest one at 18 inches long) and of course we have a pneumatic cutter that is great but not very convenient! LOL Anyways, I have found that what works best for me is the good old fashioned utility knife and a metal ruler. I use a good one, the Olfa Hand Saver ($12 at my local art store). it is comfy and has a rotary screw thing you turn to unlock the blade to move it up or down and then turn back to tighten so the blade doesn't move at all. I found it to be the best solution for me. I say keep trying different things until you find what works best for you.