Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copic Markers

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum to post in. But, I need help! I would like to start getting Copic markers (since I'm thinking the blendabilites are not coming back anytime soon...) I've looked around and they seem incredibley expensive and I can't figure out where to start. The sets seem to be most economical, but do I get primaries, sea/ocean, grays.....ugh! Decisions, Decisions. Also, the description of all the copics say they have a 3 year shelf life. At the prices they are sold, I will never be able to collect enough to use them before they are outdated!!! Then it seems to me I recently read someone has found a marker they like as well or even better then the Copics. What do I do? Copics, different brand... And really, where can I find them reasonably? And, what color groups first? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Copics are an investment, but there's a few things that really make them worth the money:
1) They are refillable. The refills will refill the marker quite a few times (10-15, for example) and the process of refilling them is very simple. This also means that the shelf life doesn't really matter. If the marker dries up, you just add more refill solution and you're good to go.
2) Every part of the marker is replaceable. You can replace the nibs, the caps, the barrel - everything. This means that, short of losing them, Copics can stay with you for a lifetime.
3) They have been around for a very long time, and they are used by professional artists. This means that they won't be affected by some of the things that affect materials created for just a niche community - for example, something that's just for card-makers and trendy. Even if Copics fall out of trend in card-making, they're still going to appeal to traditional artists around the world, which means continued support. And they are still using the same formula for their markers that they've used for years, which ensures continued quality that they've become known for. So, you can be confident that you're purchasing a high-quality tool.

For the colors themselves... It really depends a lot on what you're planning to color and what kind of color you're drawn to. Copics range from bright to more subdued to dark, so there's something for a lot of palettes. My palette colors tend to be very bright and saturated. So, my color choices are usually very vibrant.

I've looked for a starter list to link to for a friend before, and didn't really find anything concrete. So, I made up a list of my own: Copics 101.

It's a larger list (50 Copics), but it hits all the basic colors and enough neutrals to work for things like coloring people, flowers and scenes. It's set up in 3s (light, medium, dark) for the different color families, with a larger selection of browns for skin tones. My post has an explanation of what the colors might be used for.

I get my markers and marker refills over at MarkerPop. I find that their prices are very affordable and their service has been great. They do run out of colors sometimes, though, so I also watch places like Simon Says Stamp - especially when they run a store-wide or a Copic sale. I picked up several refills at a 20% discount there before.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by CreativeCardsea:
fl_beachbum (04-16-2022), heylookatme (01-09-2024), jeannemlehrman (01-07-2022)
Old 07-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2lackView Post
Then it seems to me I recently read someone has found a marker they like as well or even better then the Copics. What do I do? Copics, different brand... And really, where can I find them reasonably? And, what color groups first? Thanks!
Some people like the spectrum noir markers from crafter's companion. They are more economical than copics; be sure you are looking for the ones with the hexagonal barrel-- the color indicator on the end will be round instead of square. Those are the newer edition. I personally like the copics more-- I like the nibs on my copics better and there are WAY MORE color options but, IMO, if you're not sure whether you're going to like using alcohol markers, the noirs are a good place to start. I for sure like them better than the blendabilities.

As far as finding copics for a reasonable price: I think there is price setting by the manufacturer. There's a set MSRP and vendors can only discount that price so much. (Kind of like when you have famous big name cosmetics-- doesn't matter where you buy 'em, it's the same price everywhere and almost never on sale.) I read about it years ago, don't remember the details or the "why," exactly. The CIAO marker style is the most affordable, but the markers hold the least amount of ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2016, 10:58 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Love my Copics, but I wouldn't buy a set. You don't normally get good blending groups in sets. Consider what you like to color, but if I were just starting to buy Copics, this is what I would use:

FAQ's on Copic Markers UPDATED on 6/26/2014 - Thinking Inking

Scroll down until you see her "travel" colors.

-or-

Copic Blending Groups ? Sandy Allnock

Check both of these ladies out and see which style appeals to you. I would also check out Marianne Walker's blog, I Like Markers, for all things Copic.

My favorite ink to use to stamp when I will be coloring with Copics is Memento. My favorite paper is XPress-It Blending Stock or Hammermill Color Copy Digital Cover 80#; the Hammermill is much cheaper than Neenah, approx. $10 vs $40 per ream. It's super smooth which allows for seamless blending with the Copics, and also comes in 100#, which allows for a perfect match for your card base.

The markers themselves will last a lifetime if properly cared for, and there are replacement parts if needed. The ink is guaranteed for a 3-yr shelf life, but I have had my markers much longer than that, and the ink is still going strong.

I bought most of my markers at www.oozak.com; free shipping with a $50 purchase, so I bought a few every month until I had a good selection. I would highly recommend buying Sandy Allnock's Hex Chart for Copics; it will save you a lot of money because you can see how close some of the colors are, and you will realize you don't need all the colors you think you do. It was not available when I bought mine, but after I bought the chart, I was able to sell many of my markers and splurge on a couple of items that had been on my wish list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2016, 11:09 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have had my Copics for over 5 years and they are still juicy. I've had only a few dry out, less than 5, and I replaced the marker instead of buying refills. I just don't have the space nor the desire to have a collection of refills. I bought mine off Ebay—$700 for over 300 sketch markers. Be on the lookout for people selling their collections there. After that, I slowly added to the collection to fill in the gaps. There are some colors I didn't need, like the fluorescent ones, so I never bought those. That said, some of the colors are very similar, so you can definitely skip buying every single color in each of the families (Earths, Blues, Red Violets, etc.) I'm another one who recommends markerpop.com.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2016, 12:11 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Lots of good advice here. I'm another one who has had Copics for more than three years without them drying out. I'm guessing their guarantee is based on a "worst case scenario" (for things like temperature and humidity).

Remember that you don't have to have everything all at once - you can spread out your purchases and just buy a few at a time. I would also council against buying in sets as there will almost always be a marker or two you just won't use and that kind of "cancels out" the apparent saving. My strategy was to pick an image I'd like to colour and buy markers that would be suitable. Then a month or two later I'd choose a different image and buy markers for that one (allowing for any"overlap" with the ones I'd bought for the first image).

If you have a local art supplies place, see whether they have markers you can try out. You might find a different brand you like and even within the Copic family there are three different styles and different folk prefer one over another. For example, I strongly prefer the brush nib that comes on the Ciao and Sketch markers over the more rigid one on the Original style. Also I really don't find the square barrel of the Original comfortable to hold so those things combined pretty much rule that style out for me. You only find these things out by trying them out.

If you can't try before you buy, I'd buy two or three markers and see how you get along with them before you splurge a lot of cash. Also keep an eye on the BST forum here as people do sell their markers from time to time, often as "singles" rather than as a job lot so you could just get colours you'll use.

Sorry I can't suggest a supplier, I'm in the UK so you already have much better suggestions on this thread.

Once I did start buying, I printed out a colour chart and filled in with a swatch for each marker I bought. I carry the chart around in my purse so if I'm ever near an art supplies place and can afford a little treat, I pull out the chart to see where there are gaps I might like to fill (and avoid buying a repeat marker!)

Hope you find a solution that suits you and have fun getting in to the wonderful world of markers!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Unless someone is having a super sale online with free shipping I get mine at the local art store.........$2.00 cheaper than anywhere else in town.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2016, 10:48 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine in sets at least 5 years ago and although I stopped using them for a while, I have yet to have issues with them drying out. I purchased them online at JoAnn's with a coupon and saved some money. Now my local Michael's has them both in sets and individual and you can use a coupon there too.

I agree you do not need them all and with getting them individual and in color families you feel like you would use the most. Actually I think Hobby Lobby sells them in color families already.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
doseight (04-20-2022)
Old 07-10-2016, 06:26 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks everyone! You're fantastic!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2016, 05:57 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Love my copics! Had them for some years and still juicy. Also, I would recommend buying the refills on colors you use a lot. Another fan of Oozak!! Normally ships the same day or the next morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2021, 11:52 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

You can try Prismacolor, one alternative to Copic markers that get as close to the quality and consistency of a real topic is this one. These are high-quality markers but at a price that most people can afford.

Last edited by mimirichman; 12-31-2021 at 11:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2022, 03:27 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Copic markers and have been using them for about 10+years. Have had minimal problems with them drying out. My “go to” place is MerriArtist (https://merriartist.com) I think their pricing is excellent; no sales tax and the extremely reasonable shipping costs.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2022, 12:22 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

This thread is five years old — recommendations for places to get markers, pricing etc from the older posts may no longer apply!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
lesliespringer (01-03-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 07:03 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am now an alcohol marker fiend, lol, but a few years ago, they really frustrated me. I had about 120 Copics and was so frustrated by them (user error), that i GAVE them to a friend who was in need of them for a business she was launching. Fast forward to now, and I have figured out the learning curve and now love alcohol markers. My husband bought me three sets of Ohuhu alcohol markers over the past year and a half. I have a set of 216, an add on set of 120 and a pastel set of 48 (I think) and I LOVE them. The colors are great, mine have all been juicy, the brush nibs are nice. You can now get a set of 320 colors for $169 for all of them on Amazon. There are smaller sets available for less as well. I couldn’t afford to replace all my Copics but these were doable and I really like them. That said, they are not refillable and currently aren’t available individually though I’ve heard they’re going to start phasing that in. Although Copics are definitely the gold standard, if you want to have a lot of choices at an affordable price, these are a nice option. (No, I don’t work for them or anything. I’m just really happy with mine.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2022, 02:43 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Another Copic fan here! Of great importance to me is the fact that the various nibs are replaceable, as well as the inks are refillable. I started out with color palettes that I like to use and found that I preferred a light, medium & dark shade of those. My collection was spread over quite a time period, and I would never suggest that one "go for it all" until they are positive they'll be happy with the investment. Many of us are "sold", :lol: .

Another important thing in my opinion, is the type of coloring nib, or tip you prefer. You might already know this from the various markers you've already tried. I insist on having a 'brush' tip. Both Copic Sketch and Ciao markers have a brush nib on one end. For me, the bullet tip does not compare when I'm coloring. Spectrum Noir markers did not have a brush tip when I tried them a few years ago out of curiosity.

I formerly purchased a lot of refills & nibs from Oozak, but it seems that company is no longer an option. Lots of major stamp & marker companies offer them. It just takes a little shopping around, and you'll even find an occasional discount on a good day. ;)

Best Wishes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2022, 12:56 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I am rebuilding my collection of Copics. I get them from either Jerry’s Artarama or Dick Blick. They both sell them for the same price: $5.85 for Sketch and $3.90 for Ciaos. For my budget, I’m buying the Ciaos in the colors they come in and then Sketch for the others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2022, 07:53 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Default OLO Markers

There's a new brand of alcohol markers called OLO…olo.com. They have an introductory sale right now. Jennifer Dove has been trying the markers out and has posted on her blog, just4funcrsfts.
Reply With Quote Likes