Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Pantone colors for 2016 (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/pantone-colors-2016-a-605821/)

dini 12-03-2015 05:30 AM

Pantone colors for 2016

For the first time, Pantone has chosen *two* colors of the year, instead of their traditional one. What do you think?

UnderstandBlue 12-03-2015 05:43 AM

It cracked me up as an "everyone gets a trophy" moment :)

I think they're really pretty though - especially Serenity!

fionna51 12-03-2015 05:53 AM

Well, 4 of my 5 granddaughters are right in style...pink and purple, pink and purple!

The other likes turquoise and black. I fit more with her!

wavejumper 12-03-2015 06:33 AM

This made my local news. I had never heard of it before.

Paula O. 12-03-2015 10:00 AM

Don't like Serenity at all. Love Rose Quartz.

What influence does this have in the decorative arts world? I'm not trying to sound snotty, but wonder what is done with the Pantone "colors of the year?"

dini 12-03-2015 11:01 AM

From an article on the Pantone site:

"For 16 years, Pantone’s Color of the Year has influenced product development and purchasing decisions in multiple industries, including fashion, home furnishings and industrial design, as well as product packaging and graphic design."

Cartermrc 12-03-2015 11:23 AM

Looks as if SU will have dusty InColors again next year. I want some pretty brights again! The pink is pretty, but then I like pink. I'm reminded of the 80's with those new colors.

poppydarling 12-03-2015 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartermrc (Post 21129705)
Looks as if SU will have dusty InColors again next year. I want some pretty brights again! The pink is pretty, but then I like pink. I'm reminded of the 80's with those new colors.

Exactly what I thought! I think I wore legwarmers with those colors in the 80s :shock: Of course, the 70s and 80s have been back in fashion for a little while now...

sprtchick 12-03-2015 07:15 PM

I dont immediately like either one! Sad face.

Allistamps123 12-03-2015 07:18 PM

I love pastels! I think Rose Quartz is pretty but I'm not in love with the blue one!

TheOtherMeg 12-04-2015 03:41 AM

Hmmmmm. Not crazy about them. I tend to be a Fall and Bold colors person. Pastels don't usually do it for me.

Some of the color themes are pretty, though. It's neat seeing the pairings. (I can play on those color-pairing sites forever!)

Rachelrose 12-04-2015 04:07 AM

If you look on the website, Serenity is actually a blue.

It's hard to like or not like a color. In one context I might like it and in another I might not.

There's an article in Wired about how Pantone feels the choice speaks to gender neutrality as a topical cultural force, and the article has some interesting things to say about pink and blue in that regard :

Pantone Goes Rogue and Chooses Two Colors of the Year | WIRED

maryrose 12-04-2015 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachelrose (Post 21130190)

It's hard to like or not like a color. In one context I might like it and in another I might not.

There's an article in Wired about how Pantone feels the choice speaks to gender neutrality as a topical cultural force, and the article has some interesting things to say about pink and blue in that regard :

Good grief! Pantone colors are now political? What's next? Peanut butter?

I think it looks like cotton candy. And truly, I don't decorate with cotton candy. Might be nice for a baby shower...if you needed "gender neutral" colors. LOL! ;)

stampin stacy 12-04-2015 04:56 AM

My first thought was, ugh I hate pink.

Second thought, how cliche and boring.

Third thought after reading this thread, how sad that politics was such a high priority in the decision making process. I'm not naive enough to think politics never enters into the decision process but it didn't need to be the driving force either.

Guess I won't be buying any trendy fashions this year... oh wait I never do that anyway, lol.

fionna51 12-04-2015 05:13 AM

I find it funny when Pantone calls their color scheme a "forecast"...when what they really do is influence everybody else. :rolleyes:

Here's the whole scheme for early 2016.

http://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.spli...04578eb997.png

I pretty much am partial to the Fiesta, which reminds me of Poppy Parade, and I LOVE that!

Limpet Shell looks like Tempting Turquoise to me, and Peach Echo like Calypso Coral.

fionna51 12-04-2015 05:20 AM

I think the Serenity is slightly to the violet side. Almost periwinkle. Does it look that way to you? Or is it my imagination?

http://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.spli...2088b5153f.jpg

gregzgurl 12-04-2015 06:22 AM

I thought it looked like it was in the periwinkle realm, too. Whether you like it or you don't, periwinkle is one of those colors that seems to look good on almost everyone. Maybe it's not only gender-neutral, but personal coloring-neutral as well...? I like both colors, but neither seems overly exciting. I'm not a trend setter or trend follower, though. I just quietly do my own thing with what I'm comfortable with, and let everyone else do that, too... ;)

lovetostamp3 12-04-2015 07:11 AM

I like both colors, but then, I'm a jeans girl, so what can I say......

sprtchick 12-04-2015 07:12 PM

I love the Peach Echo!

harvestmoon 12-04-2015 07:23 PM

And you know that these colors have been in production for a while, so the clothes and home goods will be in the stores, now that this is announced. I would like to see some flattering colors in clothing for a change. Periwinkle is one of my all time faves.

arlenevita 12-04-2015 08:41 PM

Of course, if it says "Snorkel" Blue I will like it! And the Limpet Shell. Now I have to google that to see the shell.

stamphappy1650 12-04-2015 09:15 PM

RGB codes are pretty close to Pink pirouette and Bashful Blue.

PikkuLilla 12-05-2015 02:03 AM

Quote:

I LOVE dusty pink.

PikkuLilla 12-05-2015 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650 (Post 21130907)
RGB codes are pretty close to Pink pirouette and Bashful Blue.

I would be so happy if Bashful Blue came back :)

PikkuLilla 12-05-2015 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoon (Post 21130827)
I would like to see some flattering colors in clothing for a change. Periwinkle is one of my all time faves.

Totally agree. I look good in periwinkle :)

Serenity_Stamper 12-05-2015 05:35 AM

Periwinkle is my FAVORITE color to wear, so I am over the moon that it is called serenity. I also love rose quartz. Color me a light pastel shade of happy, peaceful, and.... serene with these color choices :)

Serenity_Stamper 12-05-2015 05:40 AM

The best line in this whole article was the one referring to last year's Marsala color as menstrual LOL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachelrose (Post 21130190)

shirlb19 12-05-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

What came to mind was that the colors dusty rose, pale blue and peach were in when I first got into d�cor years ago. These are pretty.

But I always like greens, reds really with a splash of terracotta to accent, lol........

Shirl

wavejumper 12-05-2015 11:39 AM

Periwinkle :) I first met that color in my crayola box. Along with blue-green and green-blue, etc.

Pantone cant seem to make up their mind what it's about. In Dina's clip the are talking about mindfulness and serenity-very hot topic right now. In the other clip their quote has to do with challenging sexual boundaries.

I can not believe that writer said "menstrual" in relation to a color...I am no prude but that was coarse and unnecessary. And then has the nerve to call Pantone "derivative".

:) I had the same reaction-oh no, we are not going back to the Santa Fe color pallette please! (which to me was just adding grey to pastels) It looks good in the Southwest, but not elsewhere. I still have ugly buildings that went up at that time. :(

123scrap 12-10-2015 02:20 AM

Well, let me add some demographic info here. Most everything except old-age products is marketed to Millennials now. In America at least, Millennials (who this year outnumber Boomers) are having children now. It so far is not at all the Baby Boom like post-WWII, but as an article on CNBC said "Even if the birthrates are very, very low, where the population is very, very large, we're still talking about a lot of babies." Is this THE reason Pantone chose these? Doubtful. But you'd have to be a fool not to include it in your trend forecasting, especially when the sight of the color pair brings babies to mind.

octoberbabe 12-10-2015 09:59 AM

I like the Rose Quartz. I was bummed when SU retired Pretty in Pink. I agree with Diane (fionna51) on her take on the colors. I also think Buttercup is YoYo Yellow, Lilac Gray pretty similar to Wisteria Wonder, Green Flash looks like Green Galore and Snorkel Blue is close to Not Quite Navy, except maybe a tad brighter. It will be interesting to see what the new in-colors will be from SU this summer.

nancystamps 12-10-2015 10:03 AM

I hate them. I loved the wine color for 2015. This year, they went with a political statement. I don't decorate or dress by politics.

Turkey1969 12-10-2015 12:18 PM

Is it just me - or did everyone on this thread compare the Pantone colors to SU colors?? :) And - only stampers would know this and not get a dazed look and say "they look like pink and blue to me..."

Paula O. 12-10-2015 12:29 PM

The color periwinkle looks terrible on me, and on my sister. We are both warm toned blonds. Horrible.

pennydouph 12-11-2015 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryrose (Post 21130196)
Good grief! Pantone colors are now political? What's next? Peanut butter?

I think you got your wish for peanut butter with the iced coffee - looks pretty close to me!:lol:

Phantom 12-18-2015 07:10 PM

Interesting that they chose two colors. Yes, Diane, my first thought with Serenity was that it is a shade of periwinkle.

I've never been a big fan of pink tones, but as a pink, Rose Quartz is okay. Kind of wishy washy though.

Love the Serenity color!

melissa59 12-18-2015 09:31 PM

I like both of these colors. I love pink. The Rose Quartz is a touch too peachy for my taste, but still very pretty. I'm picky about my blues. Love the aquas, teals and stormy blues as well as pale blue, so I'm happy with this choice as well.

What does not make me happy is the need for political correctness when choosing colors of the year. What does that have to do with it? Funny thing is, they write:
"The prevalent combination of Rose Quartz and Serenity also challenges traditional perceptions of color association. In many parts of the world we are experiencing a gender blur as it relates to fashion, which has in turn impacted color trends throughout all other areas of design."

I don't see any traditional challenge. I see pink & blue, what many people think of as traditional girl & boy baby colors. If they wanted to challenge tradition, maybe they should have steered away from traditional colors, much less pick them both.

gregzgurl 12-19-2015 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59 (Post 21139647)
I don't see any traditional challenge. I see pink & blue, what many people think of as traditional girl & boy baby colors. If they wanted to challenge tradition, maybe they should have steered away from traditional colors, much less pick them both.

I think that the point they were trying to make is that those traditional colors are now being used in non-traditional ways - as in pink for boys and blue for girls, both for both, etc. - hence the "gender blur" comment...

uncbballfan 12-21-2015 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchick (Post 21130818)
I love the Peach Echo!

Amber, if you love Peach Echo, then you definitely need to try Berry Sorbet by Papertrey Ink. It is my absolute favorite color in their lineup.