Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-20-2006, 09:35 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Demo Package Choices

Okay, I am taking the plunge this month (eeek!) and need help deciding on a couple of things:

Do I really need Heartfelt Thanks? It seems like everyone loves this set but I think I am burned out on it because one of the demos we go to for stamp camps uses it all the time. I have Watercolor Garden, Spring Garden and Easy Elegance, so do I really need another flower set? I also already have several "Thank You" type stamps.

Which color Craft pad should I get as part of the Scrapbooking add-on? I don't do any scrapbooking (yet) but I can't pass up the deal on the stuff. What do you generally use the craft pads for?

What is a good basic Alphabet set to get ($26.95 or less)?

Everyone here always has great advice and input!

TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

iam just a customer and i never cared for heartfelt thanks but i do think it is a great set to show the two step stamping.
is there anything else you like to show this technique?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 10:02 AM   #3  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

My .02 for what it's worth-
I like typeset lower for your alpha, and definitely craft white if you don't already have it! As for do you need another floral set....Well, of course you do!! I agree with heartfelt thanks, and am over it!
Just get something with a good mix of line art, solid art, and two step stamping. What about mixed bouquet? Very popular, and the same price as heartfelt I believe..... I myself am still gaga over petal prints, never ever going to part with it.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Must subscribe to this thread! I am facing the same choices, but don't have much in my stash that is SU!... As a scrapbooker, I tend to use quite a bit of brown ink for distressing, aging, etc. I didn't realize there was a craft white! Will have to take that into consideration.

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I am debating too! I am going to get mostly supplies as I am just starting up, I don't even know what I *have* to buy (amount, items) to join up.

What cards do you make most and what do you feel would most add to those? Don't necessarily get what you think is cute/pretty but what is most practical for your recipients.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Not a demo, but I love how the soft subtle craft pads look on dark paper, if that helps and definately white. I wouldn't do vanilla. I don't see enough of a difference to make it worth it. I rarely use my vanilla.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmama
My .02 for what it's worth-
I like typeset lower for your alpha, and definitely craft white if you don't already have it! As for do you need another floral set....Well, of course you do!! I agree with heartfelt thanks, and am over it!
Just get something with a good mix of line art, solid art, and two step stamping. What about mixed bouquet? Very popular, and the same price as heartfelt I believe..... I myself am still gaga over petal prints, never ever going to part with it.
Oh, forgot to put in my original post, I already have the white & vanilla craft pads!

Not a big fan of mixed bouquet, but ya know, that Petal Prints looks pretty nice! Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default So excited.

I changed a lot of my starter kit - I signed up on Friday!!! I actually kept heartfelt thanks as it was on my wish list. I change Greeting Galore and got gorgeous grapevine ( kind of a bit manly - grapes) Didn't like Quick thinking, so went for Tree for all Seasons ($1 less but again a wish list set). Then changed watercolour joy wheel for Twinkle wheel - don't have any and it seemed more versatile. Inks: Pixie pink to chocolate chip, yoyo yellow to old olive, real red to ot quite navy,
brilliant blue to really rust, green glore to close to cocoa, pixie pink to almost amethyst. Bold brights paper to earth elementss and whisper white to vanilla.
White craft pad instead of old olive, alphabelt sent I went for Collage alphabet. Album navy and rich regals card stock!

I'm going to be doing it more as a hobby and these are more "me" colours. I still hope to be able to a little demo-ing though.
Good luck
Karen:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 10:17 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Trying to understand - so you MUST buy the starter kit to be a demo, but you CAN change whats in it? Because I have the stamp and scrub on order already :(

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 10:21 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsboughton
Okay, I am taking the plunge this month (eeek!) and need help deciding on a couple of things:

Do I really need Heartfelt Thanks? It seems like everyone loves this set but I think I am burned out on it because one of the demos we go to for stamp camps uses it all the time. I have Watercolor Garden, Spring Garden and Easy Elegance, so do I really need another flower set? I also already have several "Thank You" type stamps.

Which color Craft pad should I get as part of the Scrapbooking add-on? I don't do any scrapbooking (yet) but I can't pass up the deal on the stuff. What do you generally use the craft pads for?

What is a good basic Alphabet set to get ($26.95 or less)?

TIA!
I would say sub the heartfelt for any 2 step set or any set you can invision yourself doing lots of different techniques with. For the craft pad I use mine most with irridescent ice, it's always a wow when the glitter stays stuck to the ink. We did ballet blue with snowflakes this month and they were really pretty. sorry no thoughts on the alpha, I don't use mine very often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 10:23 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzy_H
Trying to understand - so you MUST buy the starter kit to be a demo, but you CAN change whats in it? Because I have the stamp and scrub on order already :(
yes you have to order the kit that's at the back of the book but you can sub your stamps and ink for other colors or sets of equal or lesser value. As for the stamp and scrub, if you intend to do workshops you will most likely want more than one. If not, maybe don't open the one you just ordered and wait for a customer to order one and give them that one, if it's allowed?? (might want to double check on that as we aren't allowed to do cash and carry as demos)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 10:24 AM   #12  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Oh, forgot to put in my original post, I already have the white & vanilla craft pads!

Not a big fan of mixed bouquet, but ya know, that Petal Prints looks pretty nice! Thanks for the tip.
get black or choc chip then, two more must haves imo!
As for the replacement for heartfelt, go with sentiments, or something tradeable. Once you sign up there is a demo b/s/t in the demos forums and you can trade stuff away for other misc needs you may have!
Suzy- you can shange the colors of inks, stamps, cs, and the scrap extras. The scrubs are a have to get, however, I have two sets, and often wish I had one more!! You will always use those!!!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 10:34 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Gotta subscribe too...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 11:53 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmama
get black or choc chip then, two more must haves imo!
As for the replacement for heartfelt, go with sentiments, or something tradeable. Once you sign up there is a demo b/s/t in the demos forums and you can trade stuff away for other misc needs you may have!!
Good thinking! I will check out the sentiments more tonight. Of course the All Year Cheers are just out of reach by $1!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow!! I came here just now to post the EXACT same thing!!

Wonderful minds really do think alike!

So here's my dilemma...

I am changing all of the stamp sets - but I'm stuck on the first 2 (the ones for $39.95 in Canada). I had originally picked Greetings for All Reasons and Tag Time. Now, I'm considering maybe the Pretty Princess set or a Christmas set. There's so many choices!

For the classic stamp sets, I chose 4 of the "In Color" colors and chocolate chip. And for the Add-on package, I chose White for the craft ink pad.

Can you help me out on the stamp selections though? I'm more into cutsie stuff, rather than floral or vintage though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 03:04 PM   #16  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

hey 2 stamp and scrubs are great!! Especially if you do classes and party's you can have one on each end of the table!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 03:17 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Do I really need Heartfelt Thanks? It seems like everyone loves this set but I think I am burned out on it because one of the demos we go to for stamp camps uses it all the time. I have Watercolor Garden, Spring Garden and Easy Elegance, so do I really need another flower set? I also already have several "Thank You" type stamps. I say go with what you like and will use and if you feel like its been done a thousand times skip and get another set.

Which color Craft pad should I get as part of the Scrapbooking add-on? I don't do any scrapbooking (yet) but I can't pass up the deal on the stuff. What do you generally use the craft pads for? White. It looks really cool on dark cardstock and isn't in the classic pads.

What is a good basic Alphabet set to get ($26.95 or less)? I like alphadots...really neat to use the 3/4" punch on them and the crystal effects...makes them look like stickers.

TIA!
Good Luck!

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

SInce you already have white I would go with a soft subtles....those are the ones that will most likely fade the most in the long run if you do go into scrapping at all.

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 03:28 PM   #19  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would pick sets you LOVE because that is what you are excited about!
I ended up getting a set I was not keen on-and never used it because it was not my style. If you are not too hot on Heartfelt Thanks then pick one you really like-even if it is nit another floral set.

Have fun-It is always interesting to see what new recruits pick out

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

First off, welcome!!! You're going to LOVE it. be sure to sign up for the demo side of SCS right away. It's totally cool over there!
Couple SK tips--
Definitely don't get Heartfelt Thanks unless you really like it. I'm one of those who didn't think it was all that great (though I've seen some lovely samples).

If you already have several current floral sets, I'd concentrate on getting a couple of good "sayings" sets so you have sentiments for every occasion.

I also highly reccomend Summer by the Sea or Seaside Sketches because they are SO easy to demo with the pastels--instantly gorgeous cards even from first-timers.

Try to think ahead of what seasons are coming and fill in the gaps in your stamp collection so you can demo through a whole year--Christmas, Valentine, Spring, Easter, Graduation, weddings, patriotic, back to school, fall, halloween, thanksgiving, etc.... that way you're not planning a workshop and thinking, oh, if only I'd ordered a such and such set! Thankfully we have lots of all-occasion sets so you can kill a lotta birds with one stone

Good luck and I'll see you on the demo side!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 05:31 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you're not going to get Heartfelt Thanks, I'd say make sure that you have another good two-step stampin' set -- if you already own one, then the previous poster's suggestion about a sayings set with a variety of phrases for multiple occasions is a good idea.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 03:31 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I agree that you need a two step stamp set. I just ordered my starter kit and the only thing I changed out was Loads of Love because I already have it. I went with All the Best. I was going to switch out Quick Thinking for A Tree for All Seasons, but I decided I would just get that set with my additional 10% off order. I don't have many sets with words. I'm not just going to be a hobby demo, so I do need word sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 03:55 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
I would pick sets you LOVE because that is what you are excited about!
I ended up getting a set I was not keen on-and never used it because it was not my style. If you are not too hot on Heartfelt Thanks then pick one you really like-even if it is nit another floral set.

Have fun-It is always interesting to see what new recruits pick out
Amen sister!!
I would just make sure you have a variety in your "arsenal"
--line art (to color in--esp with pastels as others have said)
--two step stamping
--backgrounds of some kind
--words and an alpha

Also, look ahead to the holidays coming up (Valentine's Day and Spring). For demoing these holidays--you need to do them a month ahead (so folks can purchase their stuff and still have time to make them).

For a Craft pad--I would choose white or Black if you do not already scrapbook--for both of those are handy in card making.

As for doubles of stuff in your kit (I already had a VersaMark pad) they are great incentives for a hostess to help get your business going. Or you can trade them here on the BST board. I did end up using my VersaMark pad as an additional pad to demo with, though.

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 07:37 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used my friend's heartfelt thanks once, and I didn't like how they put the stem and the flower on the same stamp-- if I wanted a green stem, I had to frantically marker-color everything and then slap it on the paper really fast (rarely lined up) so I decided I didn't want it. In my kit, I got mixed bouquet-- it's another flower set, but I love the results you get from it. You can use the "fill in" stamps on their own for a completely different look, or you can use them together, and the outline stamps look great with crayon resist or watercolor.

I switched out all the other stamps in the kit as well-- but I kept the "much appreciated." My biggest problem was trying to find sets to fit into the 11.95 and 12.95 slots-- I already had a few and just wasn't very excited about the ones leftover.

Good luck getting started!!
Reply With Quote Likes