Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Painting stamp room tmrw...help!!

Okay ladies, my DH is about to kill me b/c while we were taping and priming our kitchen today I decided to empty the entire stamp room (9x9) , take down shelves and get ready to paint in there too. Justg a couple problems...all my stuff is in the family room (very dangerous with 4 kids and their curiosity), so it needs to be done FAST!!

I am not sure on the color though. My friend said be careful when choosing a color b/c it could change the way colors look on a card or scrapbook. The light will reflect the color to whatever I am working on...DOES THAT HAPPEN??? I want either a fun Carribean Cool, Certainly celery or So saffron..any input would be awesome! Also. has anyone noticed that the color of the room affects your paper? Thanks, I go tmrw to get my paint..yahoo!

Mom to 4...Sean (11-00), Kevin and Patrick (3-02) and Meghan (2-05) and still time to STAMP (in my sleep! LOL)

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-13-2006, 05:06 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Lori,

I vote so saffron- I love yellow. I am also getting ready to paint my craft room..I think I am leaning towards a mellow moss color.

Good Luck
Tasha
Old 08-13-2006, 05:08 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

My vote is for so saffron. As far as colors looking different, I guess that's a possibility, but the saffron would probably effect things the least. Besides, I like yellow!

When words fail, Music speaks.

Old 08-13-2006, 05:11 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

I think the lighting affects the colors more than the walls and light reflecting off the paint. Get a good light - like an Ott Light - and you should be ok. JMO, I'm no lighting expert.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:16 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

How fun, painting your stamp room!! Just remember that lighting affects your wall colour, so be sure to check the colours you are interested in during the time of day you enjoy stamping. If you stamp mostly at night, and with young children, I'm sure you must, check out the colour you like during the evening hours with regular lighting on. Remember that what you choose looks soooo different under natural light compared to whatever type of lighting you have in your stamp room in the evenings.

I have a gorgeous colour on my walls that is a sandy colour, but more on the yellow side than brown. So I would vote for So Saffron.

A friend of mine painted her stamp room in Ruby Red. Its absolutely goregous. She took a piece of cardstock to the store and had them match it!!

Good Luck whatever you choose!

My blog:
http://stylishcreationsbydebbie.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2006, 05:28 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

You may already know this but if you take a piece of cardstock in the color that you want to the paint store, they can mix a paint to match it. I thought that was so cool.

My Gallery
Old 08-13-2006, 05:31 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I also vote for a light version of So Saffron. My bedroom is a light yellow and even on a dreary day it is a very cheerful place to be and I think easier to wake up in a sunny feeling place.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:40 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

If you pick So Saffron, make sure it's a LIGHT yellow. Years ago when we painted our bedroom, my hubby picked out a yellow, which I really liked and agreed on. Welllll, ladies - think 10,000 lemons! It was absolutely HORRIBLE! After a couple months, both of us had had enough, so we wall-papered over it. A good lesson learned.

I think Benjamin Moore has a deal where you can buy tiny samples that you paint directly on your wall to see if you like the color. I think they're $2.50 or close to it. You might want to try that.

At any rate, enjoy your newly-painted stamp room!
Old 08-13-2006, 07:38 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

There is also psychological affects to paint colors. For example, light blue is restful and relaxing. That is the reason the doctors and dentist's offices are often painted in those colors. Red is exciting and promotes your appetite. Thus red in dining rooms.

Here's a link to more information on color.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/colors1.html

Something to keep in mind is that I was once told that if you are painting a room either red or yellow it will take more coats of paint. So if you do go with yellow you might need to first paint with a tinted primer. Primer is less expensive than paint, you can have it tinted with the color you choose and you will be able to use fewer coats to get sufficient coverage, plus less painting time since you will be using less coats. Ask the employees at the paint store for more information. It is probably dependent on the what the current color of the walls are, too.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:09 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinOma
There is also psychological affects to paint colors. For example, light blue is restful and relaxing. That is the reason the doctors and dentist's offices are often painted in those colors. Red is exciting and promotes your appetite. Thus red in dining rooms.

Here's a link to more information on color.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/colors1.html

Something to keep in mind is that I was once told that if you are painting a room either red or yellow it will take more coats of paint. So if you do go with yellow you might need to first paint with a tinted primer. Primer is less expensive than paint, you can have it tinted with the color you choose and you will be able to use fewer coats to get sufficient coverage, plus less painting time since you will be using less coats. Ask the employees at the paint store for more information. It is probably dependent on the what the current color of the walls are, too.
That info was very informative! TFS that link!
Gina

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:22 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittypaws
If you pick So Saffron, make sure it's a LIGHT yellow. Years ago when we painted our bedroom, my hubby picked out a yellow, which I really liked and agreed on. Welllll, ladies - think 10,000 lemons!
I can just imagine the jarring shock at expecting So Saffron, and winding up with YoYo Yellow.

If your room receives lots of sunlight, faces southward, etc. then cool tones with a blue cast are a good choice. If it gets less light due to shade or northern exposure, warm tones with a yellow cast may work better.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:37 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Being an interior designer I studied color a lot. I don't believe that most of us are at the level that it makes one bit of difference in our use of inks, papers, etc. What previous posters said about the light you select will be your most valuable information. It's all about the lighting IMO. Make certain that your area is well-lit and you shouldn't have any problems. I installed an overhead halogen with six-bulbs, and then have an Ott-lite and a second halogen on my counter surface so that I can work at night.

Being that we live in the NW - which can tend to get gloomy come winter I opted for red walls. They don't make me any more hungry than all those scrumptious paper colors we use on a daily basis - LOL! There are a couple of different ways to make your decision. Think about your climate is it a warm one or a cool one - does your room need warmth or is it always hot?

Another recommendation is to select a color tone that you feel comfortable wearing. I know that sounds odd, but many of my clients have come to realize that they loved their homes when they looked good in them. It's an odd study, but a very interesting one.

Hope this helps some - HAVE FUN!!! and post your finished room when you get it put back together

P.S. You could even do a mix of the colors you are considering - but that is a whole lot more work
Old 08-13-2006, 11:03 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

My room is like a creamy caramel color and I've not noticed it changing the looks of the paper. However, my room is large so the color of it may not affect it as would a smaller room. I did notice that when I changed my lighting that affected it greatly.

My friend is doing her room in a Certainly Celery color.

marlo
Old 08-13-2006, 11:15 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow, is this a timely topic. I am in the midst of painting my home. I've almost finished the living room, dining room, hallway and entry way. It was way more work that I had anticipated. What I found really helpful when I chose the colors was to go to the Home Depot site and use their Behr paint guide. It is a great site where you can choose different colors and then see how they go together. It really helped to be able to see how colors would look on walls and trim.

I am going to be different and vote for Certainly Celery. It is one of my favs and the color just makes me happy!
Old 08-14-2006, 07:00 AM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

My living room is Cranberry Crisp, altho I am changing it to Really Rust as soon as I get the time... my bedroom is Sage Shadow, my dining room is Perfect Plum, and my kitchen is So Saffron. I didn't match the kids rooms to SU colors but they are pretty much Pretty in Pink and Bashful Blue, LOL!
Anyway, all my guests have responded positively to the colors, but of all the rooms, the kitchen gets the most comments. So I vote for So Saffron. Unless you live a very stressful life and stamp to relax, in which case I would go for Celery to help you relax and rejuvenate.
Carribbean Cool will significantly alter the light in the room as well as "lower" the temperature, so unless your room is hot and you'd like to cool it down, I wouldn't go fot that. Just my opinion! Have fun!
Old 08-14-2006, 07:43 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Reading these posts makes me want to paint my craft room. My craft room is our formal dining room. Hmmmm.....maybe I can get my MIL to help me take the wallpaper off. Okay, now off to decide what color I would like to paint it. If someone wanted to paint their room with different colors, they could use the color coach to see what goes good together. LOL
Old 08-14-2006, 08:18 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Many of your paint manufacturers have AWESOME websites!!! My personal favorite is Benjamin Moore. The quality of their paint is superior (unfortunately the price is also "superior" - LOL). But my experiences as an interior designer led me to specify Benjamin Moore each and every time. I would highly recommend taking the time to "paint your room" on-line - it is so much fun to see the many, many color options out there!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:36 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Great thread. Love all the tips you are all sharing...I will be re-painting our master bedroom relatively soon...the bedding is a deep wine (cranberry crisp) colour, I am thinking of a warm caramel tone for the walls. I need to go very neutral as I constantly change my bedding and my mind (for that matter). Poor DH, I am constantly wanting to change the walls. Little does he know that once the bedroom is done...the on suite will not match and that will need to be painted again too (I think I just re-did it last year or the year before...lol)
Old 08-14-2006, 08:37 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I did it!! I took CS samples of Certainly Celery, So Saffron and Bashful Blue. The guy at Menards matched the color to the CS!! And the winner was

Bashful Blue...toned down a bit! I want to do a lot of the blue, brown, white,celery colors together. They make me happy, besides I have a bathing suit that color. So far 2 of the 4 walls are painted and for a room in the basement with no windows I feel like I am looking outside into the sky..it VERY pretty! My DH asked why I didn't use the paint from our 2 kid rooms which are both 2 different shades of blue and I don't know why not?? I wanted Bashful Blue!! AND the best part is that I got this modular set from Target in all white for my new desk! If I can figure out how to post a pic of it I will when I am completely done painting and organizing!

Mom to 4...Sean (11-00), Kevin and Patrick (3-02) and Meghan (2-05) and still time to STAMP (in my sleep! LOL)

Old 08-14-2006, 09:47 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

My SIL did her scrapbook room in Cool Caribbean and it looks great!
Old 08-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

My friend just finished her craft room, she left the walls white and painted mdf for her shelves.
http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/pg.a...913705&show=11
Old 08-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Oops a couple of the walls are painted.