Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   paint chip question (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/paint-chip-question-73742/)

digby 07-28-2005 08:45 PM

paint chip question

I love all the paint chip cards! Does anyone have a suggestion for the best "brand" of paint chip to use (with minimal writing or numbers)? The ones I've seen so far have some much writing on them I don't think I'd have much room to stamp!! Thanks!

Sereikastamper 07-28-2005 11:39 PM

I don't know what brand to use HOWEVER SU just put out an article and showed us how to CREATE OUR OWN!!!!

In essence, take your strip of CS and using a post it note mask off a square or rectangle, sponge it in the color of your choice...then move the post it note and add an additional the same length away as the original square you just sponged...the original post it should be creating a small line of space, like you would see seperating the colors on a paint chip...ok so you now have two post its masking the middle color block, sponge that with your choice of color...third block, remove both post it notes and now replace one so that you again have a small white line hidden beneath the postit to separate the colors and sponge your third color! Whalah! You have created your very own paint chip in your custom colors and do not have the #s and Letters to deal with! :) and of course you can do many more than three...I just used it as a simple example! :) Hope that helps!

Happy Heart 07-29-2005 02:56 AM

The trick is to use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to erase the writing! You can also work around the writing by trimming it off or placing cut-out images or embellishments over it.
I was excited the other day to see an ad for Pratt & Lamberts new paint sample chips...they are long rectangles with a circle that you can punch out. Oooh, the possibilities!
Another tip...when you stamp on the chips, be sure to use Stazon or a similar ink or heat emboss your image. Most other inks will smear.

klautrey 07-29-2005 06:19 AM

I think the paint chips at Home Depot are the best. It is for their brand of paint(?). I can't remember the name. You have to trim it on both sides but there is still plenty left in the middle.

jenny4wheel 07-29-2005 07:21 AM

Granny Hawkins had an awesome thread recently where she when to the home store and got all the paint chips which match SU colors!

http://forums.splitcoaststampers.com...ght=paint+chip

phunkymama 07-29-2005 07:56 AM

Man, am I the only one who thinks taking paint chips from the store for home craft use is unethical? The stores buy those chips so that they can sell paint. Maybe I'm a fuddy duddy, but I think it's stealing. If I want the look, I'll create my own with my ink pads.

row4d 07-29-2005 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymama
Man, am I the only one who thinks taking paint chips from the store for home craft use is unethical? The stores buy those chips so that they can sell paint. Maybe I'm a fuddy duddy, but I think it's stealing. If I want the look, I'll create my own with my ink pads.

So what if you take the paint chips home and decide that you don't want to use any of their colors on your walls and buy another store's brand instead? Is that stealing because you took their samples but didn't buy any of their paint?

phunkymama 07-29-2005 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
So what if you take the paint chips home and decide that you don't want to use any of their colors on your walls and buy another store's brand instead? Is that stealing because you took their samples but didn't buy any of their paint?

No, that's using them for the purpose for which they're intended. I know it ticks me off when I go to buy paint, and the chips I want to check out are all gone, though.

To each her own, I ain't calling the Home Depot police on anyone.

row4d 07-29-2005 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymama
No, that's using them for the purpose for which they're intended. I know it ticks me off when I go to buy paint, and the chips I want to check out are all gone, though.

To each her own, I ain't calling the Home Depot police on anyone.

Yeah, I hate when any item I want to get is the only thing missing from the shelf. I figure if the stores had a problem with crafters raiding their sample racks they would have cracked down by now given the current popularity of paint chips as a card embellishment.

Oh, and Kristen, Home Depot's house brand is called Behr.

phunkymama 07-29-2005 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
Yeah, I hate when any item I want to get is the only thing missing from the shelf. I figure if the stores had a problem with crafters raiding their sample racks they would have cracked down by now given the current popularity of paint chips as a card embellishment.

Oh, and Kristen, Home Depot's house brand is called Behr.

You know the feeling! I swear, when I take the kids shoe shopping, their size (whatever it might be at the time) is the only one out of stock.

Back to the OP, I'm painting 3 bathrooms, and got some chips at Sears Hardware for the Easy Living brand. There are 4 colors per chip, and only 1 has wording at the top right. All the other wording is at the very bottom, so you could easily trim off the last chip, and a strip along the bottom, and have a very nice 3 color chip.

crafty2me 07-29-2005 02:59 PM

paint chip question

I saw some paint chips at our local Ace hardware store. They are for outside paint and they a good size square. Big enough that I can use all sorts of punches with them.