Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Other than mortgage/car, do you buy scrapbooking/stamping supplies while in debt?
Yes 80 36.87%
No 109 50.23%
Sometimes 28 12.90%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2006, 03:57 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Default O's Debt Diet Poll

So I am wondering if Oprah's guest today is the ONLY one that buys scrapbooking and stamping supplies while in debt or, do we ALL do it.

Please answer the poll question and we'll take a look.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-13-2006, 04:03 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

sometimes.... but then I am a demo so sometimes I HAVE to in order to hold an event that will earn us a little extra money... sometimes you just have to do it.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Yes, but it's just a student loan, so I don't count it!
Old 07-13-2006, 04:32 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

We don't believe in paying interest so we have never bought anything except with cash, including homes and cars. As a result we have used that saved money to make some investments that have really paid off in our lives. We do have a Visa to use for travel and I don't like to write checks, but we pay it off completely every month. The only people we owe is the power company for our electricity each month. We also use only phone cards and save a huge amount that way too. More money for stamping LOL!
Old 07-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I have Credit Cards and use them all the time! They earn big bonus $$ and travel! But, the trick is to pay them off each month. Then i get rebates and free trips.

That means there is always a cush for the stamping$$

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I was brought up to never borrow money unless it is for a house or education. Bad advice. I couldn't even get a phone because I had no credit once I got out in the real world. My husband was brought up to borrow as much as you can get as long as you can handle the minimum payments. This made for some interesting discussions early on in our marriage. Now we are at a happy medium. We have a certain budget for entertainment (90% of mine goes to stamping/scrapbooking) My years budget for scrapbooking works about to be half a months pay. I don't consider that too much. As for debt. We have a 25 yr mortgage. Should I wait 25 years to buy supplies?
The thing is to not go crazy spending way out of your means. It's very easy to get carried away but don't.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Old 07-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I only buy if I have the cash on hand. I agreed with my husband that no fun stuff goes on the credit card
Old 07-13-2006, 09:53 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I don't have mortgage b/c we live in military housing. We do of course have car payments and the only other thing we are trying to pay off is my daughter . We adopted her and took out a loan for adoption expenses. If you count that then yes I do buy stamps on top of that debt.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:23 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

I love to buy supplies but if we don't have the extra money, then I don't do it. Isn't that common sense? My DH is very supportive of my hobbies as I am of his;we have an agreement that if there is enough money left over after paying bills, groceries, etc. then we can spend on hobby supplies. It has worked for us and we have been married for 34 years!!
Joanne
Old 07-14-2006, 05:39 AM   #10  
SCS Moderator

My Su business pays for all my stamping/scrapping.
We have 1 credit card and pay it off every month. I am too much a of a worrier about money, LOL

Old 07-14-2006, 06:49 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

I guess the next poll should be "How much debt are you in?" Because while yes, I do buy stamps and such while in debt, we are paying off the debt steadily. We've cut it down by more than 3/4 in 2 years, so we're doing really well.

Do I use credit to buy stamps? NO! I use cash we have. We stopped using credit about 3 years ago.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:20 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree that besides our car/house we have a student loan. We put all our purchases on credit cards that give us money for the kids college and we pay that off at the end of the month. I always make sure that we are not in an "expensive month" when I make a purchase, or that I have logged some extra hours at work before I put in an order.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Old 07-14-2006, 09:40 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I usually support my stampin habit with holiday pay or overtime money. Yes I am working on paying off credit card debit we owe and I always pay the bills first and then if there is extra I use that for fun, ect. We only eat out once a week and I try to keep that someone cheap. We paid off out truck last year and the car is paid for. I really budget my SU purchases. That's half the fun. Okay I have $100 to spend...what do I buy? I'm having a workshop in August and my list has changed about 12 times already! LOL

Annetta
Old 07-14-2006, 09:58 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidiculouslyAddicted
Yes, but it's just a student loan, so I don't count it!
I agree! Student loans don't count-after all that made it possible for you to get higher education, earn more money, and buy more stamps with cash. It's just a good thing!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 10:03 AM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

I said no, but I will probably have to borrow against my home equity this year to pay for my son's second year of college. In order to pay for his first year, I basically quit buying clothes, shoes, and jewelry. That allowed me to pay most of his first year with savings and my paycheck combined. DH's paycheck pays the mortgage and major household bills. So, I said no, but I am likely to have debt this year.
That said, I too, pay off my cc each month in full, so I never have interest charges. I use one with a cashback bonus, which helps a little in the summer, when I'm not working.
We were supposed to have had our house paid off by now, and that money would go for college, but our financial guy gave us some bad advice, so I just need to keep working. I think I deserve some relaxing stamping time!
Old 07-14-2006, 10:44 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

We have a Discover card that gets paid in full every month. We haven't paid any finance charges in over 5 years. All bills (except the mortgage & utilities) are paid with that card and we rack up some pretty nice cash back bonuses every year with all of DH's travel expenses.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I use the credit cards as well but manage to pay them off every month. Once in awhile I may have to pay it over two months (say for Christmas or an emergency) but never longer than that. I'm a bargain shopper and get many things second handed...including stamping/craft items. Sometimes I even get craft things for free...last week was all of someone's calligraphy supplies...schaeffer pens, paper, books, nibs & ink, and this huge homemade light box.

My problem with Oprah thinking that $1K is excessive on craft supplies when she herself not bat an eye over dropping $1K on a pocket book or pair of shoes. She's just fortunate in that her salary covers such frivolities.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Wish for the edit button...without it I really look dumb sometimes.

meant to say that Oprah would not bat an eye over dropping that kind of money on one thing during one of her shopping sprees.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Talking

Gosh...I think only responsible citizens replied to this thread. So I will be honest and say that I buy way to much all of the time. People are amazed at my accumulation. However that being said, we have put 3 kids through college with no student loans, and manage to pay all of our bills on time. It is my vise. Some people drink and eat out. I stamp. I guess it depends on your interests. I have 7 children....they're all taken care of.
Shelley
Old 07-14-2006, 11:47 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

We don't carry any debt other than our mortgage. We have had car payments in the past, but when that happens, it makes me uncomfortable.

We use credit cards constantly, but like many of the previous posters, pay them off each month.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:31 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I pay cash for everything, although I do have a car payment each month, along with the usual utilities. I pay my insurance monthly, too, as it makes it easier to budget. I owe no one except the bank for the car. I do have a debit card which I use once a week at the bank for cash for groceries, gas, parking, & incidentals. What's left over at the end of the week gets put in my Christmas fund. It works for me.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:49 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

I admit that I buy stamping stuff even though I'm in debt and there are different ways money could be spent. I consider it my entertainment, mental health treatment and spititual practice. So... I could budget $10/week entertainment, $25/week therapy (at the bottom of the pay scale) and $10/week that I would give to a church. That's $45/week. Since I don't spend $180 on stamping in a month, I think I'm doing pretty well.