Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Organizing ribbon

I am feeling very clever!

I saw an interesting product demonstration some place on the Internet. I feel badly because it was VERY late at night and although I remembered what an awesome idea it was, I can no longer tell you what it was called, nor can I give credit to who-ever demo'd it.

In any event, it was a very cool idea on how to organize ribbons - very cool, but also would involve paying money, which being rather broke I'd rather not do. Later that night while lying in bed with still far too much caffiene in my blood stream, I figured out how I could CASE that idea.

Basically, I've created ribbon organization tags from left-over card stock. There is a picture of the tags in my gallery and a fairly detailed instruction guide on my blog.

If you happen to know the name of the original product (plastic tags), please leave it in a comment. For some folks with more money and more patience (to wait for delivery or go to the store), they might rather just buy them rather than making them.

Cheers,
Jackie H.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Very cool!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Cool, I've never seen this idea before. Most of mine are still on rolls in a the ribbon keeper, but I think this would be great to keep any loose ones in order.

I'd like to add a tip if you don't mind, I just recently resorted my ribbon, I had all the narrow grosgrain together, all the Taffeta together etc in about 6 ribbon keepers. What I did was placed all the same coloured ribbons together, much easier when working on a project.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had the same thought a few months ago. I saw the plastic floss bobbins at Michaels, they are sold with the large rings and thought they would be very sturdy. I got my Cropadile out and punched the slots. They may not be as pretty as the origional but they work great.

The first photo is not the package that came with the rings Those were some tags I had already. I ended up making about 400 tags. Now I can see all my ribbon at a glance it's not hidden away in boxes and drawers. I love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing ribbon-ribbon%2520storage%2520006%2520%2528small%2529%5B2%5D.jpg   Organizing ribbon-ribbon%2520storage%2520008%2520%2528small%2529%5B1%5D.jpg   Organizing ribbon-ribbon%2520storage%2520009%2520%2528small%2529%5B2%5D.jpg  

Friends are like the walls of a house. Sometimes they hold you up, sometimes you lean on them. But sometimes, it's enough to know they're just standing by.

Last edited by McStamper; 10-21-2008 at 06:22 AM..
Old 10-21-2008, 06:23 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I remember seeing this idea about the time of Summer CHA. It's called a Ribbon Ring. Here's the website: http://www.ribbonring.com/
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 06:34 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Ribbon Rings! Saw them at http://www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com/

They seem kewl!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 10-21-2008, 06:49 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Is there a different punch that does this?? I dont know any CM people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie in BCView Post
I am feeling very clever!

I saw an interesting product demonstration some place on the Internet. I feel badly because it was VERY late at night and although I remembered what an awesome idea it was, I can no longer tell you what it was called, nor can I give credit to who-ever demo'd it.

In any event, it was a very cool idea on how to organize ribbons - very cool, but also would involve paying money, which being rather broke I'd rather not do. Later that night while lying in bed with still far too much caffiene in my blood stream, I figured out how I could CASE that idea.

Basically, I've created ribbon organization tags from left-over card stock. There is a picture of the tags in my gallery and a fairly detailed instruction guide on my blog.

If you happen to know the name of the original product (plastic tags), please leave it in a comment. For some folks with more money and more patience (to wait for delivery or go to the store), they might rather just buy them rather than making them.

Cheers,
Jackie H.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:09 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by McStamperView Post
I had the same thought a few months ago. I saw the plastic floss bobbins at Michaels, they are sold with the large rings and thought they would be very sturdy. I got my Cropadile out and punched the slots. They may not be as pretty as the origional but they work great.

The first photo is not the package that came with the rings Those were some tags I had already. I ended up making about 400 tags. Now I can see all my ribbon at a glance it's not hidden away in boxes and drawers. I love it!

Very cool idea as is the op's idea!!

I dont think there is enough free space even in the air in my stamping room for all the ribbon I have....but I am thinking about this. Especially since I have totally run out of room for anymore and I found a box with 12 rolls i accidentally bought online somewhere a while ago...

Is this just your shorter lengths of ribbon? Or about how much is on one holder, how many yards? How may times do you have them folded over on each holder?

Thanks.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Old 10-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

There was a ribbon keeper at Tuesday Monring as while back for $8. It holds a ton of ribbon on the spool. A case you can pick up and carry to a crop. I love mine. Glass jars hold the rest at my house.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:33 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post

I dont think there is enough free space even in the air in my stamping room for all the ribbon I have....but I am thinking about this. Especially since I have totally run out of room for anymore and I found a box with 12 rolls i accidentally bought online somewhere a while ago...

Is this just your shorter lengths of ribbon? Or about how much is on one holder, how many yards? How may times do you have them folded over on each holder?

Thanks.
I could not bring myself to cut the ribbon into shorter lengths. A lot of the tabs have over 10 yards on them. Many have two different ribbons on them also. I think some of the ribbon is "folded" over 6 or more times and them I weave it through the tab. The photos I posted was just the begining of my ribbon collection I had small rings in the begining. I really needed the big rings. It did take a few evenings while watching TV to punch all the tabs with the cropadile but nothing I had would punch through the thick plastic. I was worried that some of the uneven holes would catch on some of the ribbon but I had no problem at all. These tabs will last forever.

I wonder if you had a Big Shot etc. and the right kind of die if you could run the tabs through the machine?

I wanted to add that when I took all my ribbon off the spools I had over 2 1/2 large garbage bags full of spools That's a ton of saved space in my craft area.

Friends are like the walls of a house. Sometimes they hold you up, sometimes you lean on them. But sometimes, it's enough to know they're just standing by.

Last edited by McStamper; 10-21-2008 at 07:40 AM..
Old 10-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's a great idea and I had the same question about longer lengths of ribbon. So it sounds like you can weave it through many times. Looks like a neat solution. But ... I have cats.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
It's a great idea and I had the same question about longer lengths of ribbon. So it sounds like you can weave it through many times. Looks like a neat solution. But ... I have cats.

LOL! I can just imagine the mess cats could make of this!

To the OP...great idea and very economical!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the same 'idea' - only I use the large paperclips from the office supply as my 'tabs' . . . works great! One ribbon on each paperclip, then the paperclip is placed on the appropriate binder ring. I have a few thin, flimsy ribbons on smaller paperclips and a few super wide/thick ribbons on ginormous clips (like for a bookmark). The binder rings hold them just fine, not matter which size. The paperclips are sturdier than tabs - and don't take up my time to punch and prep.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post

Thanks.
I put all of my ribbon on the card stock tags I made. Some of the ribbon is quite short, and some is several yards. In the case of the longer ones, I folded the ribbon in half (or in 4ths) and wove it though as one piece so that it wouldn't hang down to the floor.

Cheers,
Jackie
Old 10-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

But ... I have cats.

Yeah No cats in my house. I have two dogs, but they only come to the door of my craft space as they've been taught to stay out. I think if you had cats, you'd have to hide your ribbon in the closet or find a different solution.

As to paper clips - I haven't tried the big ones, which almost certainly would work, but the smaller ones tend to catch on the ribbon (for me) as I pull it through. I've wrecked nice ribbon that way.

This solution worked for me because I already own the punches and I have 'spare' card stock (in colours I will never use on a card - so for me it was effectively free. Making the tags took very little time (maybe 20-30 minutes). Most of the time was spent ironing and weaving the ribbons.

Cheers,
Jackie
Old 10-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Hee Hee....I was thinking the same this. Would be great to get all my ribbon off my shelves and onto my walls, but I have a feeling I wouldn't have any usable ribbon left after a day and my cats would view it as one really cool toy.

My Blog -- Shannon's Sentiments
Old 10-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Looks really cool, but will it get dusty being out in the open like that?

Designing for my Stamp BOX | Caardvarks | Purple Cows
Old 10-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I used left over coffee mug hooks, and a dow rod to make a ribbon organizer.
cost me less then $2.

well the first one was just a dow rod in my closet, but as I got more and more, I needed to expand.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Thanks for the info Barb and Jackie!!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Old 10-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

i would still like to make this. how much is that CM punch? I could laminate it afterwards.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappingmelissaView Post
i would still like to make this. how much is that CM punch? I could laminate it afterwards.
FYI...... the Geo maker is $20 + tax & s/h........ depending on where you are....

www.creativememories.com
Jennik
Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

What a great idea........ but I would also be very afraid of what the room would look like when I got home. Not CAT proof!! I think I will be sticking with the bins for a while longer!!
Jennik
Old 10-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I have the QK bobbin die. Perhaps this is something others might find useful.

Kerry