Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Opinion on a Situation... (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/opinion-situation-183719/)

StampGroover 09-15-2006 01:49 PM

Opinion on a Situation...

Hey I need an opinion on this...I entered my card in a contest at a local stamp store about two weeks ago.....when I took the card to the stamp store they told me so far I was the only one to enter but they took my card anyway....I emailed them to ask them when they would announce who won and they emailed me back telling me they were sorry but they meant to let me know sooner that nobody else entered I made this card esp. for the contest and I just figured since they didnt say that if nobody else entered it would be a default similiar to if a team showed up to play another for a contest and the other team didnt show the team that played wins....I am very discourged I have been waiting and hoping I would win....it was for 25 dollar gift cert. .....Ok I am done whining whats your opinions????

longtimestamper 09-15-2006 01:52 PM

Unless the advertisement for the contest included a notice that there had to be a minimum number of participants then I would say they owe you the prize.

Pickled-Tink 09-15-2006 02:09 PM

Yep... you won! Its not your fault that their contest did not generate enough interest to get other entrants. You took the time to create something special for their specific event... you won, if not only for being a loyal customer!
I think I would be a bit pouty if that happened to me... Not that it really matters, but how often do you shop at this establishment? Do you know the owners/shopkeepers personally? Just curious.... Also...did the contest promote one brand of stamps? Ink? Paper or product or technique that they held a class for?? Just curious...

StampGroover 09-15-2006 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pickled-Tink
Yep... you won! Its not your fault that their contest did not generate enough interest to get other entrants. You took the time to create something special for their specific event... you won, if not only for being a loyal customer!
I think I would be a bit pouty if that happened to me... Not that it really matters, but how often do you shop at this establishment? Do you know the owners/shopkeepers personally? Just curious.... Also...did the contest promote one brand of stamps? Ink? Paper or product or technique that they held a class for?? Just curious...

I go in there every two to three weeks and buy something....The day I dropped my card off I even bought a new stamp and some paper....The card I entered was made with a stamp and paper I bought there....I am discouraged....and its about a 15 minute drive to take the card to enter it....wahhhhh I am having a pity party....but it just doesnt seem fair....and they never even bothered to tell me I emailed them to ask who won.....ok I need to get over it....lol

pony110 09-15-2006 02:35 PM

Honestly, I don't think that it is your problem that no one else entered. I once took my dog to a costume contest at a local pet store - we were the only ones that showed up for it...so guess what ? we won. I would absolutely call them on this. It's not like it is a trip to hawaii or anything really expensive. They need to give you the prize and live up to their end of the bargain.

karendombroskie 09-15-2006 02:42 PM

You are the winner then if no minimum requirements were posted. There was a case like this on Judge Judy....not paper crafting but I seem to think it was some kind of contest that a local bar was having and there was only one person who entered. There were no minimums posted, Judge Judy made the bar owner pay the guy the prize money.

Pickled-Tink 09-15-2006 02:44 PM

I just wanted to validate that the way you feel is right.... You got slighted. I would feel the same way too... and probably react the same. Whether or not I would go in and call them on it is questionable (that is why I asked how often you shop there and if you know the owners/shopkeepers). There is an old saying that says if a customer is happy, they tell 5-8 friends.... but if they are dis-satisfied, they tell 20 or more. This is certainly a black eye for the stamp shop. It was a great opportunity for positive word of mouth advertising, and they blew it.

SilverDragoness 09-15-2006 03:00 PM

Well that sucks. I would be whiney too. It's certainly not your fault that no one else entered. Guess I would be shopping other places.

AddictedScramper 09-15-2006 03:04 PM

That does totally suck, and I agree with everyone here that they need to award the prize. It is rude, in my hunmble opinion :), to say you aren't worthy of a prize just because no one else entered. They are the ones who must have marketed the contest so poorly in the first place! As a business owner (an actual corporation) I can't imagine justifying not giving a prize in that situation. It is poor business ethics, bad advertising, and gives them a bad image (well, it could if you spilled the beans and said who they were!). They need to be more honest in their business practices. Go tell them you'd like to spend the prize money now!

diane617 09-15-2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pickled-Tink
I just wanted to validate that the way you feel is right.... You got slighted. I would feel the same way too... and probably react the same. Whether or not I would go in and call them on it is questionable (that is why I asked how often you shop there and if you know the owners/shopkeepers). There is an old saying that says if a customer is happy, they tell 5-8 friends.... but if they are dis-satisfied, they tell 20 or more. This is certainly a black eye for the stamp shop. It was a great opportunity for positive word of mouth advertising, and they blew it.

So where is this store, we all don't want to patronize? guess you told a few more than 20!

Shelley Davis 09-15-2006 03:40 PM

I'd print this post off and if the decline to give you your winnings, I 'd let them have this. Tell them you're not the only stamper who holds this opinion!
They have those contests to get people to buy stuff. Tell them they can post your picture with a big sign and your card saying you won!
Shelley~

StampGroover 09-15-2006 04:33 PM

Hey guys thanks so much for your support on this...I appreciate it....well I emailed her with my thoughts and disappointment this was her reply....Guess she is saying too bad huh?
I am sorry that you are this disappointed. I had thought I had made the best discision to not have a contest between two entries..........one a winner and one a loser..............and also that the other card had not applied a tag to their design.

We are a small business and have no intention of making our ladies unhappy............but we cannot have a contest for two cards nor offer $25 gift certificates under the circumstances...........we have never had a contest with lack of entries before.........so I had not foreseen this happening.

I will however in the future state a minimum number of entries to qualify a contest.

Carol Lee 09-15-2006 04:52 PM

The owner of the store owes you the gift certificate. You could tell her that you've spoken to a lawyer and see what she does. But if she was any kind of honest business woman, she would give you the prize. And if there was 2 card and she couldn't have a winner and a loser, what difference does it make. If there were 100 cards there would be a winner and 99 losers.....so what?? That's why it's a contest.

Cat 09-15-2006 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampGroover
... I am sorry that you are this disappointed. I had thought I had made the best discision to not have a contest between two entries..........one a winner and one a loser..............and also that the other card had not applied a tag to their design.

We are a small business and have no intention of making our ladies unhappy............but we cannot have a contest for two cards nor offer $25 gift certificates under the circumstances...........we have never had a contest with lack of entries before.........so I had not foreseen this happening.

I will however in the future state a minimum number of entries to qualify a contest.

I'm no lawyer, but based on what I know about "enter to win" contests, it's illegal for this business to cancel the contest if they haven't first stated in advance that the contest would be withdrawn if less than X entered. It doesn't sound like you had to pay to enter, so the company wouldn't be out any money to award the prize the PROMISED in their contest rules, the $25 GC. Personally, I would have to write a letter to the store owner stating that you believe they are breaking the law. That you consider their behavior unethical. And you'll no longer patronize the store. Then stick to it. A copy ot the local Better Business Bureau would be in order. Then, take your business to someone who cares about their customers.

I wouldn't be able to get "over it" unless I had spoken my mind.

Pearlann66 09-15-2006 04:56 PM

Hmmm... sounds like store and an owner I would not be giving my business to any longer.
I totally agree that there should have been a winner!
Hopefully it would have been you!!!

JanTInk 09-15-2006 05:04 PM

Last year I had a new catalog open house with drawing for a free stamp set. Only one of my customers came and she got the stamp set! So I'd be mighty peeved myself.

This woman has effectively shot herself in the foot. People are always willing to repeat negative information. So not only has she upset you, she's going to end up having a reputation as someone who cheats her customers...not a good thing.

MazG 09-15-2006 05:08 PM

Wow, I can't believe her response. You did win and she is not honoring the rules of the competition. She has even acknowledged her mistake by saying that "next time she will state a minimum number of entries".

It's hard to believe they are treating you this bad when you are such a loyal and regular customer.

chrissym 09-15-2006 05:16 PM

I can understand your fustration. I would be peeved also. That is unethical. Regardless if they are a small business are not they should adhere to the contest rules. The rules did not state you need X number of contestest to have the contest. I think you should have received the GC. I agree, I wouldn't be able to let this go until I gave them a piece of my mind even if it ment taking it higer then the store personal.

Chrissy

LMstamps 09-15-2006 05:55 PM

I hope you don't plan to shop there again. That is a very poor business practice. It is bad enough that she did not award you the prize in the first place. But to still not give you the award after your email to her, is unbelievable.

Quote:

Hey guys thanks so much for your support on this...I appreciate it....well I emailed her with my thoughts and disappointment this was her reply....Guess she is saying too bad huh?
I am sorry that you are this disappointed. I had thought I had made the best discision to not have a contest between two entries..........one a winner and one a loser..............and also that the other card had not applied a tag to their design.

MSBetsyZ 09-15-2006 06:16 PM

I'm really wishin' your location showed up so we could get an idea of where this stamp store is! As it is, I agree that you should copy and forward this thread to the store owner. It's not that I can't sympathize with her, I'm sure she was disappointed in the outcome herself. Still, that's simply no excuse. Telling her what she'll do in the future does not negate her obligation to you.

I wonder if letting her see exactly how 10,000 stampers (OK, maybe not ALL of us agree, but you get my drift.....) agree with YOU would help her see the error of her ways.....

Now, what store was this again?

deb_loves_stamping 09-15-2006 06:59 PM

This is SO wrong ... I cant believe that even after emailing her, that was the answer. I think I would definitely email her a link to this thread. That's just bad business.

Mahloumel 09-15-2006 07:14 PM

I don't see why she doesn't follow through like an ethical person by awarding you the gift certificate. Like a previous poster said, she could take this opportunity to use your entry and photo to make a big poster and thus a big deal out of your winning the contest to generate more interest in future ones. If it were me, I would let this lady know that she has lost more than the $25 gift certificate would have cost her in the loss of any future sales to you, as you prefer to shop in businesses that respect their customers and don't perform illegal actions when it is convenient for them.

StampGroover 09-15-2006 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
I'm really wishin' your location showed up so we could get an idea of where this stamp store is! As it is, I agree that you should copy and forward this thread to the store owner. It's not that I can't sympathize with her, I'm sure she was disappointed in the outcome herself. Still, that's simply no excuse. Telling her what she'll do in the future does not negate her obligation to you.

I wonder if letting her see exactly how 10,000 stampers (OK, maybe not ALL of us agree, but you get my drift.....) agree with YOU would help her see the error of her ways.....

Now, what store was this again?

Its a store here in Florida...the city of Casselberry..

Mahloumel 09-15-2006 08:26 PM

Quote:

The road it's on doesn't happen to rhyme with vowel, does it?

StampGroover 09-15-2006 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
The road it's on doesn't happen to rhyme with vowel, does it?

yes it does...you know the store????

Laurie FW 09-15-2006 08:30 PM

She is so clearly in the wrong, I think she made a huge mistake! You deserve the gift certificate and her business doesn't deserve yours anymore!

Mahloumel 09-15-2006 08:31 PM

Quote:

yes it does...you know the store????

I know it only by reputation. ;) I just let my fingers do the walking, and they headed right to it!

StampGroover 09-15-2006 08:32 PM

Quote:

I know it only by reputation. ;) I just let my fingers do the walking, and they headed right to it!

Do they have a bad reputation??? This is my first problem with them as of yet.....

Mahloumel 09-15-2006 08:34 PM

Sorry I'm being so cryptic. The only things I've heard about this store have been in this thread.

StampGroover 09-15-2006 08:36 PM

Quote:

Sorry I'm being so cryptic. The only things I've heard about this store have been in this thread.

Oh ok I thought maybe you have been there....Well thanks for all the support I just thought maybe I was sounding silly to complain but I am not good about standing up for myself so I decided to for a change....its not even about the 25 bucks anymore just the fact that it wasnt right I felt lead on....Thanks again

SDiegoGal 09-15-2006 08:45 PM

There was a contest. There were entries. There was a winner and a loser. The winner should have been awarded the GC whether there were 2 or 1,000 entries. They obviously were planning on giving a prize, otherwise they wouldn't of held the contest. Write her back, ask her to declare a winner and let her know how unethical it is if she doesn't award a prize. But, don't be surprised if she declares the other card the winner just to spite you. :(

daisyboo 09-15-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Can someone explain to me why she couldn't offer the $25 gift certificate "under the circumstances"? Don't forget that she didn't actually pay $25 for the merchandise you would choose. So she refused to give up $10-$15 depending on her mark-up. I'd bet that you would have spent much more than that in the future had she not renigged on the contest.

This may seem like a ridiculous comparison, but it is like Publisher's Clearing House refusing to award a winner because not enough people turned in their entries!! (Of course since I have never known a winner, maybe that is what they do!:) )

And what about the no tag on the 2nd card? If the contest said a tag was required than that card lost. Pure and simple. Otherwise, what does the tag have to do with anything?

I am in utter shock that any small business would be willing to lose a customer over such a small amount of money. The way I read it, though, that is EXACTLY what is willing to do. I didn't read any tone of remorse on her part about this incident. I am assuming that you omitted parts of the response, but did she say anything at all like "we appreciate your busines" or "we want to continue to provide for you stamping needs" or "please accept our sincere apologies for this misunderstanding"? If not, then it seems to me that she is willing to lose your business altogether rather than give you $10!! That has to be the most foolish thing a business owner could ever do!!!

I am with everyone else. I think you should let her know that you are not only disappointed but that you will take your business elsewhere because of this. And tell all your friends what has happened. I would not want to frequent such a business!!

Mahloumel 09-15-2006 09:10 PM

From the looks of previous contests that store has held, the second place prize is a $15 GC. So StampGroover would come out smilin either way. :)

stampwithdiane 09-15-2006 11:58 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but you should write a letter to the better business bureau, with a copy to the store, the chamber of commerce in the town where the store is located, the mayor of the village or town, and anyone else who comes to mind, including the manufacturers of products you purchased from the store.

Explain what had happened, how you believe this is illegal behavior, and how disappointed you were with the store's response. Heck, copy the newspapers if you'd like, and maybe even call into those tv news "solve my probblem" numbers, if any stations in your area have these.

I might also add in the letter that you no longer even want the gift certificate, but you'd like goods of your choice in equivalent retail value to be donated in anyone's name but the store or its owners (so they can't get a tax deduction) to (pick your favorite charity or retirement home).

(OOOOH - I'm in a vindictive mood tonight!).

Cat 09-16-2006 02:52 AM

Quote:

No WAY! Ok... thought I knew what it was, but rhyme with a vowell, now I'm confused... I'll have to think about it more.

deb_loves_stamping 09-16-2006 05:30 AM

LOL @ Mel, you are such a detective! I figured it out too ... the street "number" is 2501 !!!!!! Well, if I'm ever in Casselberry, I wont frequent that store! I agree that this isnt even about the $25 anymore, its just the point. No apology or anything? This store does not deserve your business.

mrs starling 09-16-2006 05:40 AM

This is going to cost this business much more than the $25.00 gift certificate. Obviously, she is not very business savvy. Such a shame you were short-changed and she is so short-minded. Sounds like she cannot see beyond her nose. Noting a minimum number of entries on FUTURE contests means nothing to you and the contest you entered and evidently won. Certainly, you will be finding a new store and rightly so. Sorry this happened. I would have been much more assertive with this owner in an attempt to awaken her from her deep sleep.

snowcountry311 09-16-2006 05:49 AM

i agree with stampinwithdiane--- my thoughts exactly also incule her emails. if 25.00 dollars could hurt her business i would say she doesn't have much of one. if in the end she offers the 25.00 i would take great pleasure saying no thank you---right then and there.

Glittergal 09-16-2006 05:59 AM

I am so sorry this happened to you, and I still can't believe (after reading this entire thread) that the store owner hasn't contacted you AGAIN to say that, after rethinking the situation, she's decided not to penalize you for her error (in not posting the correct contest info). Wow, I'd be very hesitant to deal with her again - if she's that ignorant or cheap (or both) about keeping customers happy, I don't think I could trust her in any way. What if you were to have a problem with a purchase in the future - would she make it right or just say "too bad?" If you don't hear back from her in your favor, I'd find another store. That's my opinion, and again, I feel bad for you. Linda

heart 09-16-2006 05:59 AM

I can't understand this store owner!!!
She certainly is making a bad "impression" on me!

SHe's using the previous contest winners entries on the web site, so she gets a payback for her $25.00. Goodness!