Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Ooops, I unmounted (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/ooops-i-unmounted-222072/)

ecarged 02-06-2007 06:18 AM

Ooops, I unmounted

I've been unmounting all my stamps for about 4 years. I find them easier to store and to stamp.
I recently signed up as a SU demo (waiting for my number) and have current stamps that are unmounted and the blocks are gone. I gave them to a nursery school to use as building blocks. I asked my demo about this before I signed up and she said it wouldn't be a problem. But now I'm questioning that wisdom. So I need your imput.

Question: Can I demo these sets using acrylic blocks? Is there anything in the SU policy that says I can't?

Thanks

MelenaPrincess 02-06-2007 06:30 AM

I think you may confuse your customers. If you use these sets, I would make sure that they know that the SU! stands by wooden mounts and does not plan on making changes. I would call Demo Support to get their official ruling.

housefan 02-06-2007 06:33 AM

Our demo demos both wood mount and UM. I think it is great to do it both ways as most of us went UM when we realized the huge number of advantages.

sdraidersfan 02-06-2007 06:34 AM

How do you use them if they are unmounted??

ecarged 02-06-2007 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelenaPrincess
I think you may confuse your customers. If you use these sets, I would make sure that they know that the SU! stands by wooden mounts and does not plan on making changes. I would call Demo Support to get their official ruling.

I did plan on telling them that I had unmounted them before becoming a demo and making sure that I used a mounted set in whatever project we were working on. Once I get my number, I will ask Demo Support for their ruling on it. Just hate to think that all those pretty stamps can't be used :(

fionna51 02-06-2007 07:01 AM

As I understand it, we are not supposed to demo on clear blocks. What I have done is keep my blocks, in the cases, in storage, with the current sets' blocks in one box. Since I am a hobby demo, I don't do much in the way of workshops, but if I do, I get out the blocks and put the rubber on the block. If the rubber has EZMount, I have the block finished with polyurethane, if it is TIO&O it sticks fine as is.

Now, that doesn't help if you got rid of your blocks! My suggestion would be to advertise on the BST forum (the open side of SCS will get you more coverage) for the blocks as a set from someone who is unmounting. I know there are lots of those out there! Maybe someone will have the set of blocks for you.

ecarged 02-06-2007 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51
As I understand it, we are not supposed to demo on clear blocks. What I have done is keep my blocks, in the cases, in storage, with the current sets' blocks in one box. Since I am a hobby demo, I don't do much in the way of workshops, but if I do, I get out the blocks and put the rubber on the block. If the rubber has EZMount, I have the block finished with polyurethane, if it is TIO&O it sticks fine as is.

Now, that doesn't help if you got rid of your blocks! My suggestion would be to advertise on the BST forum (the open side of SCS will get you more coverage) for the blocks as a set from someone who is unmounting. I know there are lots of those out there! Maybe someone will have the set of blocks for you.

They are on EZ Mount, so that might work. Hummmmm, I do know a non demo who plans on unmounting, so I may be able to snag her blocks and use them like that.
Thanks alot, that's an easier solution.

ellepaul 02-06-2007 07:43 AM

No, I think you have to dmo them they way they are sent to you. Check the demo manual or call DS to find out more.

robynstamps 02-06-2007 08:26 AM

Yes, you have to use them the way SU sells them in the catalog. Otherwise it is misrepresenting their product. Why not just demo the sets from your kit and then the ones you buy in the future. I see no reason why you cannot have samples made with your UM sets. You just cannot demonstrate that way. For further clarification I would call Demonstrator Support. They will give you the specifics.

Congratulations on becoming a demo! You will love it!!

Robyn

ecarged 02-06-2007 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstamps
Yes, you have to use them the way SU sells them in the catalog. Otherwise it is misrepresenting their product. Why not just demo the sets from your kit and then the ones you buy in the future. I see no reason why you cannot have samples made with your UM sets. You just cannot demonstrate that way. For further clarification I would call Demonstrator Support. They will give you the specifics.

Congratulations on becoming a demo! You will love it!!

Robyn

I guess my beef will be that I took into account all the stamps I already own when deciding on becoming a demo or not. And I did actually ask (my demo .. therefore my upline) before deciding. The reason I'm now questioning this advice is that I saw a thread about unmounting and someone mentioned this.

Oscar T. Grouch 02-06-2007 10:01 AM

It would confuse me as a consumer to see a demo with clear when you can't buy them like that.

CMCAnne 02-06-2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
Our demo demos both wood mount and UM. I think it is great to do it both ways as most of us went UM when we realized the huge number of advantages.

OP, I agree with housefan's comment -- as long as SU has no policy against this that would jeapardize your agreement with them.

As a long-time SU customer, I can tell you that I'm a lot more inclined to spend more money with my SU demonstrator since I've gone totally um with my SU stamp sets. We can't all afford glamorous craft rooms, or even craft closets. My stamp sets were stored in moving boxes crammed in my baby's bedroom closet. Not only was it inconvenient, I just completely lost interest in stamping knowing I'd have to drag all that out just to make a few cards.

Since I went um and have a simple storage solution right at my desk now (2 binders, that's it!), I love, love, love stamping again! And guess what ... the more cards I make, the more paper, inks, and other accessories I need. And of course, the more anxious I am to buy new stamps. I can definitely see my spending with my SU demo going up in 2007 because I'm now actually enjoying stamping again.

jeanstamping2 02-06-2007 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdraidersfan
How do you use them if they are unmounted??

You ask how they would use them if they are unmounted.

I have one Stampin up Stamp set that I unmounted.
You're suppose to put them in the mirco wave for 10 seconds and then peel off the rubber. and then add Ez-mount foam to the rubber stamp.
*(using Ez-mount Foam one side is sticky & the other side is clingy. Which adhere's to an Acrylic Block
Here is a link to see just how to add Ez-mount to your stamps.
http://theangelcompany.net/assembly.html
And this one:
http://www.pinkcatstudio.com/Video/W...nmounteds.html
There are other ways to use your Unmounted Rubber stamps.
http://alphastamps.com/mounting.html

When using your unmounted stamps Most of us use a Acrylic Block for our stamps.
You can use a vary of objects if you don't have a Acrylic Block.
Anything with a Smooth surface. LIke a Tic Tac container, bottom of a Glass, Ink pad lid, Your wood block as long as they have a clear label on them.
Hope this help you.

WeimFamily 02-06-2007 01:23 PM

From the demo agreement that we signed to get our kit:

"I also agree not to sell, promote, or demonstrate any other products, other than those offered and purchased through the Company, while participating in in-home workshops or Stampin� Up! events, or any other meeting with existing or potential Demonstrators or customers."

And (fortunately or unfortunately - it's all a personal opinion) SU doesn't sell acrylic blocks. So if you do demo with acrylic blocks, you are violating that agreement. It's your choice - obviously some of us demo wood-mounted only and some demo with acrylic blocks...

wilko_scramps 02-06-2007 03:49 PM

See if you can buy/trade some wood blocks for the sizes of your stamps. Put vinyl on the bottom of the block, and stamp the image of the stamp on the top of the block. Temporarily mount the stamp on the wood for the class/club.

This is just a suggestion, never contacted SU about this.

Carol Lee 02-06-2007 03:59 PM

If I was a customer at a workshop and the demo said she unmounted them before she became a demo and SU does NOT sell them unmounted, I would understand but I'm sure there are others that just wouldn't get it.

housefan 02-06-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeimFamily
From the demo agreement that we signed to get our kit:

"I also agree not to sell, promote, or demonstrate any other products, other than those offered and purchased through the Company, while participating in in-home workshops or Stampin� Up! events, or any other meeting with existing or potential Demonstrators or customers."

And (fortunately or unfortunately - it's all a personal opinion) SU doesn't sell acrylic blocks. So if you do demo with acrylic blocks, you are violating that agreement. It's your choice - obviously some of us demo wood-mounted only and some demo with acrylic blocks...

Then my demo is way out of line. We use shaving cream, alcohol, tiles, candles, aluminum foil, sharpie markers, paper clips, pieces of lace, tissue paper, cotton balls and q-tips, file folders, clip boards, sand paper, embroidery floss, sticky paper and microbeads, Liquid Applique, quotes from Quote stacks, and her scallop punch. Just the tip of the iceburg.

abcima 02-06-2007 07:01 PM

As a customer, I wouldn't give a hoot. I would be very interested in options. I would hope the point is to demonstrate how beautiful the stamps are--and the beautiful projects you can make with them. Your customers want to learn, even if it is learning the benefits of unmounted stamps.

abcima

Donna Cook 02-06-2007 08:19 PM

I know alot of our group uses the shaving cream, and other stuff that SU doesn't sell at Stamp Camps...when demoing at a workshop use a wood mounted set, from now on you probably will keep them wood mounted. Use the other sets at a Stamp Camp, where other products are often used. In a short time you will have plenty of wood mounted ones for demo purposes. You could get some wooden blocks very similar to SU blocks for a few of the stamps you might demo with, like the All Year Cheer. I wouldn't want you to blatantly violate policy, but you are acting in good faith, and not trying to deceive your customers.

When SU changed the packaging and labels , I couldn't afford to purchase new items, and I know the heat tool didn't have an SU logo on it originally. So...I think just do your best.

IMBlessed5 02-06-2007 08:47 PM

One thing to think about - just be careful about mentioning or showing your new customers your unmounted stamps. If they decide "hey, I like that system" and go checking around, they'll see that they can get unmounted stamps a lot cheaper elsewhere than to go through a wood-mounted company and not use the blocks. I'm not bashing any company - they're all great! But that thought crossed my mind. I KNOW you can't keep them from finding out, but you don't want to send your customers elsewhere if you're trying to build a business.

jailbirdstamper 02-06-2007 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecarged
I've been unmounting all my stamps for about 4 years. I find them easier to store and to stamp.
I recently signed up as a SU demo (waiting for my number) and have current stamps that are unmounted and the blocks are gone. I gave them to a nursery school to use as building blocks. I asked my demo about this before I signed up and she said it wouldn't be a problem. But now I'm questioning that wisdom. So I need your imput.

Question: Can I demo these sets using acrylic blocks? Is there anything in the SU policy that says I can't?

Thanks

I don't know if you had the old wild things set but I have the blocks for that if you need them let me know. I traded them to someone that only wanted me to mail the rubber.

I like the other suggestion to just mount them on wood when You need them for the business part of life. How fun!

jailbirdstamper 02-06-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol Lee
If I was a customer at a workshop and the demo said she unmounted them before she became a demo and SU does NOT sell them unmounted, I would understand but I'm sure there are others that just wouldn't get it.

I wouldn't get it if I was new to stamping but I would totally get it now!

LuckyGirl 02-07-2007 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMBlessed5
One thing to think about - just be careful about mentioning or showing your new customers your unmounted stamps. If they decide "hey, I like that system" and go checking around, they'll see that they can get unmounted stamps a lot cheaper elsewhere than to go through a wood-mounted company and not use the blocks.

This is a good point, however, as a customer, I fall in love with the IMAGE of the stamp (or the stamp set), not the mounting system. I have 60+ SU! sets, all unmounted b/c I couldn't find an equivalent from an unmounted company.

Yes, there are people that will compromise and go with a similar image stamp b/c it's cheaper and unmounted, but there are those like me that buy for the image first and don't give a hoot about the blocks OR the extra $ we pay for the wood we won't use.

I think it depends upon the level of addiction (LOL), image preference and style of the customer. Obviously, I'm ridiculously addicted and mount according to my needs, regardless of the rules. This is flexibility that I enjoy b/c I'm not a demo, and something I need as a customer with limited space.

I do have some wonderful clear stamps from CTMH and TAC stamps of images/sets I do adore, as well.

As a customer, I like flexibility and options.

KimberlyinMN 02-07-2007 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar T. Grouch
It would confuse me as a consumer to see a demo with clear when you can't buy them like that.

The stamps themselves aren't clear (still the same red rubber). Just that the mounts would be clear acrylic instead of wood.

Kimberly

wilko_scramps 02-09-2007 10:33 PM

This thread has spurred me to unmount and wood mount. You may be thinking "whaaaat?" Well, I'm using an unmounted system (two really) for non-SU stamps, SAB sets, and retired sets. For sets that come with cushion already on them, I'm using sheets of vinyl. For sets/stamps that are the rubber alone, I'm using the EZ Mount.

All my current SU sets will be mounted on wood for demo purposes until the sets retire, or until I do!

gv-copperdog 02-10-2007 01:43 AM

Another thing you can do is stamp the images from those sets at home and demo with them (leave the stamps at home), and then use what you get in your kit at your parties.

wilko_scramps 02-10-2007 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gv-copperdog
...stamp the images from those sets at home and demo with them ...

How brilliant is that? I love it! That works even better for ME. I hope that the OP is gaining as much from this thread as I have been.

WeimFamily 02-10-2007 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
Then my demo is way out of line. We use shaving cream, alcohol, tiles, candles, aluminum foil, sharpie markers, paper clips, pieces of lace, tissue paper, cotton balls and q-tips, file folders, clip boards, sand paper, embroidery floss, sticky paper and microbeads, Liquid Applique, quotes from Quote stacks, and her scallop punch. Just the tip of the iceburg.

I posted here and then completely forgot to check back... It's OK to demo with the stuff you were talking about (not sure technically on a couple) because SU doesn't sell a similar product. As a demo, you'd be sending your customer to the grocery or office supply store, not the craft store, to buy the supplies for the products. But SU does sell a competing product to acrylic block system - mounting on wood blocks. My main point is before you sign a contract, make sure you understand what's in it. Can you tell that I married into a family with a bunch of lawyers??? :)

dmsouthall 02-10-2007 05:25 AM

I have tons of blocks and am selling them for 25 - 50 cents each plus shipping...... I have a thread in the BST - Trade board

Marian

Softangelkisses 02-10-2007 05:55 AM

I would call Demo Support just to get a clear yes or no answer!

ecarged 02-10-2007 07:07 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. A couple of people offered to mail me some blocks, so hopefully I'll end up with enough to remount the ones I want to use.

I've learned a very valuable lesson. Don't purge anything ... you really do never know when you're going to need it. LOL

I would like to caution demos about the advise that they give to new people signing up. Be very sure of an answer before you give it. I was told I could definitely demo these stamps on acrylic. After reading the policies, I realize I cannot. This was part of my deciding on whether to become a demo or not. So if it's not something you are very sure of .. check first.

Mahloumel 02-10-2007 07:22 AM

I have heard of demos demoing UM SU stamps and having successful businesses. Their customers weren't confused because they did in fact have brains in their skulls regardless of what some affiliated with SU might think. However, once you ask SU specifically about demoing stamps like this, they will tell you you can't do it.