Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Online shoppers question (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/online-shoppers-question-435867/)

Phantom 05-05-2009 03:25 PM

Online shoppers question

Have you ever bought a stamp-related purchase online of one single item in the order?

I don't think I'm physically capable of it. I am so curious if anyone does this ;)

frou frou 05-05-2009 03:54 PM

Nope...Im not even sure it can be done:rolleyes: That would take some serious will power...that I do not posess!

AmyR 05-05-2009 04:12 PM

Nope - though I think at one time I actually limited myself to about 3 items instead of adding enough to the cart to get free shipping LOL

Phantom 05-05-2009 04:12 PM

Mmm-hmmm.... Just as I suspected ;)

Knutsen24 05-05-2009 04:26 PM

Does it count as only one item if you get it in quantities of 10?? :p

AmyR 05-05-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knutsen24 (Post 13975457)

Ohhh yeah! I've done it then - I ordered ONE case of adhesive a couple of years ago from an online store (12 in the case ROFLOL!).

sammsmom1 05-05-2009 05:52 PM

I actually have. I needed a thing of gum arabic and managed to order only one. I even did it one other time when I needed a particular die.

Phantom 05-05-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knutsen24 (Post 13975457)

:mrgreen::mrgreen: I'm thinkin' yes!!

Phantom 05-05-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammsmom1 (Post 13976496)
I actually have. I needed a thing of gum arabic and managed to order only one. I even did it one other time when I needed a particular die.

Very impressive!! As you can see, this is not a feat easily accomplished by most of us ;) .

milwaukite 05-05-2009 06:12 PM

isn't there a song..... "One is the loneliest number"...... Maybe that's why? LOL

jackie1 05-05-2009 06:27 PM

You mean that we can buy just one item? I live in Canada so I try and take advantage of flat rate shipping or free shipping if I can, it makes the exchange and duty less painful.

buggainok 05-05-2009 07:01 PM

Yes, I'm an oddball. I have ordered only one of something quite a few times.

I just bite the bullet and pay the shipping. I tell myself the shipping is less than for gas driving around to find things.

Oh, and my TIME is valuable, too.:mrgreen:

Angelnorth 05-06-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainok (Post 13977541)
I just bite the bullet and pay the shipping. I tell myself the shipping is less than for gas driving around to find things.

Oh, and my TIME is valuable, too.:mrgreen:

This is me, too :D

I don't have anywhere less than 35 miles away that has anything like a decent selection of inks, for example. So buying something like just one inkpad or just one embossing folder somewhere like eBay (as long as the seller is charging realistic shipping charges) definitely works for me, even before I factor in my time on a 70 mile round trip!

Stamps themselves, on the other hand.... perhaps better not to go there!

shellpole 05-06-2009 01:34 AM

From the US...no...try and fill up whatever package there is available...

From here, Australia...fraid I have many many times. If I want it badly enough and also want it like yesterday, then yep...I am guilty!

Phantom 05-06-2009 03:55 AM

I think it's great that some of you can order just one thing!! I am compelled for some reason to check an entire online store before I place that order ~ I guess it is to make the shipping worthwhile, but I think I've purchased things I didn't need.

I'm one of those online 'window shoppers'. I'll fill up a cart, keep it for awhile, go back and delete things when I've come to my senses LOL!

I really understand the lack of stores - the nearest Hobby Lobby or Michael's is an hour away from me. There's a nice stamp store 30 miles away and I do love it - but the stamps are organized by theme rather than maker, so I find it hard to locate exactly what I want. Fun to look but I've only been there a couple of times. Oh, and there's a scrapbook store in town here ~ all single paper sheets and stickers, a few Primas, very disappointing!

It's nice to hear from you ladies who will just buy even one thing!!

binx 05-06-2009 03:58 AM

Nope, never ordered just one item.

I love the challenge of maxing out the shipping charges and will spend time just figuring out how much merchandise I can get before I bump my order into the next shipping price category. Beats spending my time (and gas) in the car running around. Besides, and maybe this is weird, but that's part of the fun for me.

Phantom 05-06-2009 04:26 AM

Nope - none of it is weird and I like both ideas ;) ! It's a real challenge for me to not be tempted by the whole store ~ but sometimes it really is fun!

redi 05-06-2009 04:58 AM

No ,I haven't. I usually order more than one item, to help with shipping costs.Although if I sat down and figured out the cost, I have probably spent more doing this. I guess I am addicted to buying stamping items

Joan B 05-06-2009 05:14 AM

I think there is a law against it (off to check laws...)

Phantom 05-06-2009 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B (Post 13979738)

LOL :mrgreen: What would we do without you, Ms. Joan?!

pjw2855 05-06-2009 05:34 AM

I agree with the second sentence of Post 16. I will also purchase enough to meet the minimum for free shipping is that's an option.

I see no point in ordering just one item. I shop at my local chain stores before I go on-line first anyway. I would rather buy local where I can drive there than on-line whenever possible. But some items are just not available at the chain stores.

I have 3 AC Moore and 2 Michaels stores within driving distance. Saves shipping charges and they take coupons!

Patti

Dotty 05-06-2009 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B (Post 13979738)

Well then I've broken the law a few times!! Not on a regular basis though :)

ldsk34 05-06-2009 06:27 AM

I have maybe once or twice...............but ONLY if I have a FREE SHIPPING coupon. The closest "GOOD" store to me is about a 45 minute drive.

shellpole 05-06-2009 01:25 PM

It would be lovely just once for us Aussies to have free shipping....bet your bottom dollar we would go rank then!...This loosely translates to we would spend all our money mightly quickly in the mad rush to buy heaps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldsk34 (Post 13980534)
I have maybe once or twice...............but ONLY if I have a FREE SHIPPING coupon. The closest "GOOD" store to me is about a 45 minute drive.

shellpole 05-06-2009 01:27 PM

Oh and when you think you are being hard done by ladies...We hear about the coupons all the time...but we do not get that system here either.... Think I would like to live in America for a week so I could go crazy with all the lovely discounts available to you.

AmberAKAmom 05-06-2009 01:44 PM

I think the closest I've come is an A Muse black ink pad and a re-inker.

biblesistersmom 05-06-2009 01:49 PM

No to hijack this thread, but I feel for you in Australia! When we were there on vacation, bananas were the equivalent of $12 US a pound! Yikes!

And, no, I can't remember a time when I purchased just one thing unless a box of 36 adhesive refills counts.

Have a great day!

roxy64 05-06-2009 08:01 PM

Thankfully, AC Moore, Michael's and Joann's are literally just down the road from my office. My favorite run at lunch time. But when I order on line, I go for free shipping. The smallest order I ever had was my scorpal and scoremat,( and I got free shipping). When I ordered my ATG, I had to get the tape to go with it, so would that count as a single item? :-)

Sometimes my girlfriends and I will go in on an order together to get the free shipping.

shellpole 05-06-2009 08:46 PM

When was that? Not straight after a cyclone?

You girls would be mortified if you knew how much we pay on stamps!!!!! But even so, I figure if I want it, I had better grab it.

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmom (Post 13984440)
No to hijack this thread, but I feel for you in Australia! When we were there on vacation, bananas were the equivalent of $12 US a pound! Yikes!

And, no, I can't remember a time when I purchased just one thing unless a box of 36 adhesive refills counts.

Have a great day!

Cook22 05-06-2009 11:51 PM

I have definitely got single items from eBay, and I've bought single stamps/stamp sets. But almost no companies offer free shipping to Ireland, so once I am paying shipping at all, I tend to order more than one thing at a time -from a larger online store that might simply be adding tape, glue, scalpel blades or similar *stock* items to an order for a specific stamp or whatever, rather than trying to find something just for the sake of it. I'm better at taking stuff off my orders than adding it on.

TimeCrafted 05-07-2009 06:29 AM

Only once and it was three packs of the same thing. I needed a blingy crown for DD's bday cards a couple years ago and could not find it at any of the local stores. I had waited until the last minute, so my lss couldn't order and get it in time. So, I had to order online. It killed me to pay shipping on something so small!

stamphappy1650 05-08-2009 05:00 AM

I've done it but only when it's a really high priced item. I think in Calif. it's the law that you have to fill up a package to save the environment *snort*

Paper Junky 05-09-2009 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binx (Post 13979196)
Nope, never ordered just one item.

I love the challenge of maxing out the shipping charges and will spend time just figuring out how much merchandise I can get before I bump my order into the next shipping price category. Beats spending my time (and gas) in the car running around. Besides, and maybe this is weird, but that's part of the fun for me.

This'd be me!