Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hobby Lobby only carrying Master Touch Paper

Today I was in Hobby Lobby. They are no longer carrying any Canson or Strathmore papers of any kind. Everything has been replaced with their private brand Master Touch. I noticed a post a couple of weeks ago that noticed Hobby Lobby was getting rid of the Paper Studio line and rebranding with a different name thus avoiding their sales on Paper Studio. I also needed to buy some new acrylic and watercolor brushes two weeks ago, and again the only brand available was the Master Touch brand. There are 3 Hobby Lobby stores within a 10-15 mile radius around me and in the past I have shopped all 3. I'm not going to be shopping much at Hobby Lobby now. I'm still unhappy how they took away the weekly 40% coupon and said that prices would be lowered, yada, yada, yada. It hasn't been good for card makers for sure.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2021, 03:16 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Probably not the best place to post this. Maybe the mods will move it for you to General Stamping Talk
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2021, 04:03 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

I went there yesterday looking for Bristol cardstock for my watercolor cards and their shelves were bare. Now I know why!! I came home and ordered from amazon and got it in 2 days. Plus it was $3 cheaper per pkg so that's fine with me.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2021, 11:42 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,138 Likes on 514 Posts

This is sad... I loved being able to see and touch the papers and make a choice from a wide variety of brands.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by dini:
fl_beachbum (12-19-2021), kazooMI (12-01-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 12:23 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know. I'm not happy about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2021, 02:20 PM   #6  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Such a bummer :(

That's going to be hard on people who don't have independent art stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by UnderstandBlue:
ChrisO (12-01-2021), gaylestamps (12-18-2021), MUKat (11-30-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 06:20 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

I guess if people know the brands they do like...there is Blick online, AZ, as well as art supply stores online.

Of course it is not the same as being able to touch stuff. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by wavejumper:
gaylestamps (12-18-2021), MUKat (12-07-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 02:21 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I understand about them carrying their own in house brand papers. It hurts at the same time. Lydia talked about how this hurts those of us who don't have independent stores.
For as long as I lived here we had a sweet independent store everyone that was artsy went too. Even though we have Michael's & JoAnn in our area there was this thing that if our independent art store didn't have it they would say "Go to Hobby Lobby". If Hobby Lobby didn't have a particular item they would say "Go to our independent art store." It was like that for decades. It always felt like Hobby Lobby was an art store in a lot of ways.
When I saw Hobby Lobby stop carrying Strathmore & Canson it was a punch. I have nothing against their paper. I do have a few tablets of paper from that line I got on clearance. I like it. I don't want to use that paper for my professional work. I am sure it's fine but I am sure a lot of you understand what I am trying to convey.
Our independent art store closed this year. The owner's retired. We all know it just became to much for them with Covid and all. My DH's old company it also was an art supply store, even though they were mainly construction. They provided the big things like for the artists who do large murals for businesses. They just recently closed because it became to much for being so short staffed and to much work coming in. That leaves zero small art stores in our area. That is so sad.
I am not upset at Hobby Lobby or anything. I understand why they are doing what they are doing. It does hurt because it feels like another loss for one of my favorite art stores. I haven't been to Michael's for years so I don't know if they still carry Strathmore or Canson. I never really bought paper from them because I wanted to buy art paper at my "art" stores not my craft store. It felt special and yes Hobby Lobby is my art store. I never stepped into any of the other departments for decades. I was always back in the art supply section at Hobby Lobby.
The next place I move too I hope they have an independent art store. I love that feeling of walking into a store and looking at all the pretty art supplies. The things you purchase just feel so special. I don't know if I am the only one but I really treasure those items. They feel like they have history to me. I love getting a brand new tablet of Strathmore or Canson paper in store. Looking in the pad of paper, touching the texture of it, the inspiration wheels just turning. Ordering online is not the same for me. I love to order online but art stores are like bookstores. They are treasure chests waiting to be explored.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2021, 02:09 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

The last time I was in Michaels, they carried Strathmore and Canson, but it's been a few months, so who knows.

-Adam Osborne-

Last edited by ComradeBunny; 12-19-2021 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2021, 06:47 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 320 Likes on 206 Posts

This is indeed sad news, especially since quality white cardstock is in short supply these days.

I have all 3 of the big box stores nearby but never go there for yarn or papercrafting - just other craft supplies. For me, it is either craft shows or online ordering.
Reply With Quote Likes