Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelis
All I can say is that it is an HONOR to me to have been favorited (new verb!) by someone, and that I will not look a gift horse in the mouth! Comment or no, I don't care, just knowing that someone took the time to favorite me thrills me to no end.
Definitely agree with this!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #42  
Crimping Master

Default I am one of the guilty ones

that puts a card in my favorites and most times do not make a comment. Time is a factor. But since I know how it makes some people feel, I will try to say what I liked about the card that made me want to save it. Most times I try to treat people the way I want to be treated...and....I would like for someone to leave a comment on my cards....if I had any in a gallery. Thanks for your post and input.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #43  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by digby
Sometimes I wish we didn't have the ability to know anything...number of views/comments/favoriteds. I would love to be able to just enjoy the artwork people are sharing willingly without worrying that people think I'm rude because I don't comment every time I open a card or save it to my favorites.
I have to warn you all that I am really grumpy right now, but I feel like I have to say something.

MY GOD, these are just cards!!!

I remember there was a thread going where people were upset that they didn't get any comments.

Then there was a thread that people were upset because the comments they got were only like "Cute!" Great Job!" just "generic" comments with no "real" validation.

Now a thread that, I've been favorited, but get hardly any comments???

I've heard it all. This is SO ridiculous.

Just be happy that the number of times your card has been viewed isn't a big fat ZERO.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDiegoGal
Just be happy that the number of times your card has been viewed isn't a big fat ZERO.
Word. Rock on, sister!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #45  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

I have to warn you all that I am really grumpy right now, but I feel like I have to say something.

I remember there was a thread going where people were upset that they didn't get any comments.

Then there was a thread that people were upset because the comments they got were only like "Cute!" Great Job!" just "generic" comments with no "real" validation.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2007, 07:03 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm viewing it as just some more validation! Maybe someone didn't have the time to comment but saved you in their favorites. Too cool! When I save a card to my favorites, it means I love it enough to CASE. How much more validation can that be? What a complete honor to think that someone might want to CASE me???
Signed,
Needing all the validation I can get! LOL!!!
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Old 02-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

I agree, with SDGal - I am pleased when people look at my cards and have been delighted that someone thinks it is worthy to favorite. I don't always have time to make comments, but will always ackowledge if I case and upload someone's card.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:16 PM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

I think it can be taken as an even more sincere compliment than even comments. I have noticed that some people are just popular and their friends comment on their cards. But, if those people don't like the cards enough to put in their favorites then maybe they don't totally love the card. The only cards that go into my favorites are truly ones I plan to learn from. I don't use the favorites feature here because when the site is down I cannot get to them. Instead I drag the card off into a folder on my desktop and then I have it forever whenever I want. So I guess in that case they would never even know that I had "favorited" their creation.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

I didn't know that was considered rude. I'll leave comments from now on. I guess I should go through my Favorites now and start typing away.

http://lunarium.etsy.com
Old 02-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #50  
Crimping Master

SDGal you ROCK! I've written and erased at least four replies to this thread! Thank you for having the guts to say what I was thinking!

I have to wonder, how flippin' insecure someone is to think that they have to be favorited AND told why? Isn't it enough that they even BOTHERED to look at your stuff??

Good grief! I am THRILLED when I notice something is "good enough" for someone to even consider looking at a second time, let alone the first time!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:23 PM   #51  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
I think it can be taken as an even more sincere compliment than even comments. .
I totally agree!!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:34 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelis
All I can say is that it is an HONOR to me to have been favorited (new verb!) by someone, and that I will not look a gift horse in the mouth! Comment or no, I don't care, just knowing that someone took the time to favorite me thrills me to no end.
You said it, Melissa!

I didn't know about this feature until I just now read this thread. I am pretty new to stamping and cardmaking and still enthralled with the idea that people even looked at my cards.

To think that someone thought enough of a card to "favorite" it is quite the compliment and really inspires me.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 02-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #53  
PAPER SCAPER

I like all the features in the gallery and I think the SCS team is doing a fine job trying to make eveyone happy.

I'd like for you to read this thread that isn't getting the attention this one is and then think about what is really important!

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=220277
Old 02-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I totally agree with you.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:05 PM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rox71
I'd like for you to read this thread that isn't getting the attention this one is and then think about what is really important!
Rox71, thank you so much for the reminder of how important it is for us all to be good to each other and do for each other rather than bicker about things that really won't matter in the long run. I'm going to add to this boy's wish.

http://lunarium.etsy.com
Old 02-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #56  
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilko_scramps
Rox71, thank you so much for the reminder of how important it is for us all to be good to each other and do for each other rather than bicker about things that really won't matter in the long run. I'm going to add to this boy's wish.
BIG s!
Old 02-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #57  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Oh, thank goodness someone said this and I don't care if we quote this in every post. It had to be said. Complaints, whining, etc. Come on!! I'm thrilled if someone puts my card in as a favorite or gives a comment. Whatever! I thought we were making these cards for our own satisfaction and enjoyment? Yes, everyone wants a pat on the back. Wellllll, a card put into someone's fave file IS a pat on the back!

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Old 02-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #58  
Stamping is a Hoot!

Quote:

I have to agree with SDeigoGal too, be grateful people look at our cards. Not everyone has the time to comment and sometimes it can be hard to know what exactly to say other than cute, nice card, pretty etc. We know we like it or love it but putting it into words can be difficult. I think posts like this one would put off the lurkers or shy people on this board to comment even more, rather than encouraging them to.

I Design for Elizabeth Craft Designs and Karen Burniston
Old 02-02-2007, 02:48 AM   #59  
Kookie Creator

Ok, I blame the whole thing on the gallery itself. There is just way to much eye candy to look at in the first place. My problem is with the dial up and how long it takes to look figure out what you like and then comment. And what you usually like has already been said many times over. The feature of a fav button for me is wonderful. Gives me a chance to have a file of ideas and color combos I like. I will say I am sorry to anyone who is upset that I don't comment, but I will also say to that person that the work they have done and the time they took to load it up and place it in a gallery means the world to me. I have cable internet coming on Mon. and I hope this will give me more more more of this entire site.
M
Old 02-02-2007, 02:52 AM   #60  
Mad Swapper

i am happy with any form of flattery, be it verbal or a "favorited" card. i am actually grateful anyone looked. i merely post for *MY* pleasure, and any comment is a perk to me. so to all the ladies that looked, or put me in favorites, or commented, i thank you.
janice
Old 02-02-2007, 03:08 AM   #61  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Thank You for saying this!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:39 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather_M
I'm guilty I don't always take the time if the card is already on it's second page of comments. I rather take that time and comment on a few cards that have no comments!

I like being able to see the favorites. I was getting discouraged with my gallery comments, but it's nice to see that even though someone didn't have the time to comment they saved my card to their favorites!
I'm with Heather. If a card's already got loads of comments, I don't bother--there's nothing new I can add to gushing, LOL! But I might still "favorite" it. Generally, I do comment if I put a card in my favorites (esp if there aren't many comments), but sometimes, there's just not time.

Also, I love seeing the numbers for favorites. I have some cards that had few comments yet were "favorited" lots, and I certainly don't resent the people who didn't comment but liked the card. They liked it, they really liked it!!!! (jumping up and down with joy!) There are just so many cards on this site, and no way to give each and every one the attention it deserves. Favorite-ing is now an easy way to give someone else validation. That makes me happy!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:34 AM   #63  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
I think it can be taken as an even more sincere compliment than even comments. I have noticed that some people are just popular and their friends comment on their cards. But, if those people don't like the cards enough to put in their favorites then maybe they don't totally love the card.
I would really rather not start second-guessing why anyone leaves comments, and how much less sincere comments are than some statistic posted on the screen our cards are on. When I leave comments I am sincere, and when I put projects into my faves it is because I see in the card somewhere I'd like to go that fits with my style or some other personal goal. Do we all have to paint our living rooms like the Sistine Chapel in order to show that we "really love" Michaelangelo? And that if we don't, but we say nice things about his work we aren't really fans? I just don't see why anyone would want to think that way.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:19 AM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Amen sista! Thank you for saying what I was thinking as I was reading through this thread.

I love adding cards to my favorites. I do it because I love the color combo, a particular style, stamp set, technique, etc.

Please share your cards because you want to share (like Julie) not because you need validation. Everything in the gallery is a matter of taste, don't compare your work to someone else's - just enjoy what you do & for goodness sake HAVE SOME FUN - LOSE THE DRAMA!

I also don't have time to give an analysis of why I like a card, it's kind of like asking me "How long is a piece of string?".

Anne
Old 02-02-2007, 09:50 AM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

If I've added a card to my favorites, I'm probably going to CASE it in some way- either totally, or I like the color combo, or I like the use of that stamp set, or for the technique.

I wish I had more time to leave comments because I like feedback, too. (I don't have a gallery here). But trust me, if you're in my faves, I'm digging your card.

I'll try in the future to leave more comments.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:07 AM   #66  
Polyshrink Goddess

Y'all knew this was coming didn't ya? I wondered how long it would take. Longer than I thought.

I am grateful to all that have taken the time to share artwork. Everyone's cards are beautiful but ya know they need to be beautiful to you -- not necessarily anyone else. As long as you are happy with it - who cares how many people comment/view/or favorite.

Please keep sharing - I so need your inspiration.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

My grandmother always said "A phone call is worth a hundred votes" -- meaning that for each person that actually says something, there are probably many who feel the same way that haven't said anything. That is clearly true by the number of favorites vs. the number of comments. I think the favorites gives a much more indicative number of how many people LOVE your card, but I'm guessing that that it is appreciated by at least twice as many as have favorited it!

Yapha
Old 02-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #68  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh, give me a break...

If you're only creating and posting for recognition, maybe you need to consider some things in yourself.

Consider each favourite, comment, and view as you RAKing someone. Do you expect or even WANT something in return? I hope not.

www.kristisetzer.blogspot.com
Old 02-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #69  
Crimping Master

I just finished viewing your gallery and left comments on the cards I liked. Some I favorited for later.

Like others, the little time I have to myself right now is better spent stamping than commenting.

Sometimes while I am stamping I let a slide show run of my favorites - Motivational Imaging.

Some people like to be critiqued, others do not. As a piano teacher I must critique my students - with praise - but also with suggestion for improvement.

When you ask for us to tell you what we liked about your cards, would you also benefit from us coaching you on what we thought could be improved?

Another thing - like JulieHRR pointed out to us - there are 110,000 viewers on SCS - if every one of them commented on only one card - could/would you possibly read each comment? I just don't have that kind of time.

You have many beautiful cards and should be proud of your work. Just make them the way you like them and be confident in the results. You're gonna' be ok.

Keep adding to your gallery - we really do appreciate you.

Gloria
Old 02-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #70  
Kookie Creator

I went and looked at my gallery, it's not very big and no where near the talent of some of you. But one of my ideas was "Favorited" 31 times. It almost made my cry, I am so proud. To me it's like winning an award. As Sally Fields would say "you like me, you really like me". Thanks for all the "Favoriteds". It gives me the confidence to try more things.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

The more time someone spends thinking up something nice to say about my card is time they could be checking out other cool stuff in the gallery. There's already so much to see, that a quick look and a click to favs is just fine with me! Knowing that my card was *favorited* is just as good as any comment.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #72  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossom
I'm with Heather. If a card's already got loads of comments, I don't bother--there's nothing new I can add to gushing, LOL! But I might still "favorite" it. Generally, I do comment if I put a card in my favorites (esp if there aren't many comments), but sometimes, there's just not time.

Also, I love seeing the numbers for favorites. I have some cards that had few comments yet were "favorited" lots, and I certainly don't resent the people who didn't comment but liked the card. They liked it, they really liked it!!!! (jumping up and down with joy!) There are just so many cards on this site, and no way to give each and every one the attention it deserves. Favorite-ing is now an easy way to give someone else validation. That makes me happy!
What Susan said - it really never occured to me that someone might want to wade through pages and pages of comments that say "Cute" "great card" etc. I always try to leave a comment if I am among the first, but not usually when everything has already been said, so I really liked the addition of the favorite thingy because I felt like it was validation without comment.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #73  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rox71
.....I'd like for you to read this thread that isn't getting the attention this one is and then think about what is really important!
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=220277
Right ON!! Go to the Need a Lift? forum, you'll find lots of folks with issues more important than comments on cards.

Yet another "explanation" for those not leaving a comment: My demo really hates doing stuff on the computer. Although she is the one who told me about Splitcoast two years ago, she now has a total of 5 posts vs my 7,502. Yet she has a favorites file for when she wants new ideas for workshops.
John 3:16
Old 02-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #74  
Insane Embellisher

I agree with Julie. One day I spent 3 hours commenting on everyone of the days cards just to see how long it took. If all I said was a generic Beautiful, gorgeous, love it! great card!, etc, what's the point of that! But some I gave more meaningful comments to, asked questions, and did send some to my favorites. Too much info here on SCS, I hardly get a chance to get to the gallery anymore because of challenges, forums and the rest of my life away from this site! But when I do have the time I have to prioritize. Like right now, instead of doing this I should be getting ready for my ws tomorrow, cutting cs and packing my stuff!! But here I am..........can't get away from this place..........

Old 02-02-2007, 12:53 PM   #75  
Insane Embellisher

I hadn't even realized this new feature until I read this thread. I think it is a great new feature. I take a viewing, comment, or faviorite all as a compliment to a card. And really a favorite might mean more than just a comment, if someone adds your card to their favorites, that means they plan on looking at it again.
K
Old 02-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #76  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Default Please read all the way through--thank you

Apparently I didn't word my OP very well, because many of you misunderstood me. I did not mean I don't like the favorites feature or that I wanted it removed.

I DO view it as a compliment. Everyone can stop beating me over the head with that.

The only thing I said was I think people ought to leave comments when they take a card for their own personal benefit. Have the grace to publicly thank the person who provided you the inspiration. That's all. As for the time restraints comments, I have as little time as anyone else on this board. So what if you see twenty less cards out of hundreds every single day.

I'm not going to single out any one particular person for this next part.

If you disagreed with my personal opinion, there are respectful ways of stating it. Calling a person "insecure", "whiny", and saying things like "give me a break", and "get a life," etc, and taking the Lord's name in vain, are unproductive.

I realize those phrases are your own personal opinions, and therefore valid. But I am a real live person with real live feelings, not just an avatar. Please take a moment to realize how hurtful words like that can be, as well as endless "dittos" to those posts.

I have a workshop to do tonight so I'm going to leave now. "Respectful" PM's (please) are welcome
Old 02-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #77  
Compulsive Stamper

I took a look at your cards and I must say they are quite lovely! However, and this is my personal opinion, I am disappointed to see you don't leave recipes for your cards. Why should I take the time to leave comments if you don't take the time to tell me how it's done? JMHO
Old 02-02-2007, 02:19 PM   #78  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW Junkie
Apparently I didn't word my OP very well, because many of you misunderstood me. I did not mean I don't like the favorites feature or that I wanted it removed.

I DO view it as a compliment. Everyone can stop beating me over the head with that.

The only thing I said was I think people ought to leave comments when they take a card for their own personal benefit. Have the grace to publicly thank the person who provided you the inspiration. That's all. As for the time restraints comments, I have as little time as anyone else on this board. So what if you see twenty less cards out of hundreds every single day.

I'm not going to single out any one particular person for this next part.

If you disagreed with my personal opinion, there are respectful ways of stating it. Calling a person "insecure", "whiny", and saying things like "give me a break", and "get a life," etc, and taking the Lord's name in vain, are unproductive.

I realize those phrases are your own personal opinions, and therefore valid. But I am a real live person with real live feelings, not just an avatar. Please take a moment to realize how hurtful words like that can be, as well as endless "dittos" to those posts.

I have a workshop to do tonight so I'm going to leave now. "Respectful" PM's (please) are welcome

For the record, I understood your original post and tried to be very respectful in my response, because there have been times when I wished that more people left comments on my cards.

Having said that, I think that with as many members as there are on SCS, it is inevitable that we will not all share the same values. Some people will value the number of views, others will value the number of comments, others will value the number of "favoriteds" and others still will not care one way or another. Similarly, some people will think it's rude not to leave a comment when you put a card into favorites and others will not. There really is no right or wrong answer (I don't think Emily post addressed this issue,) just different points to view.

The only way to know what the original creator of a card values is for that person to communicate it to the rest of the members. So those people who care about comments most of all, should say so in their project description, including, if necessary, a note stating "Please do not put this card into your favorites if you don't intend to leave a comment first". If I were to come actoss a notice like this, I would certainly respect the instruction.

As to the level of respectfulness on posts, I believe most of the responses here have been very respecful. I'm not sure I can say the same about your posts. Since I already expressed that there are times I do not leave comments on cards I place into my "favorites", I personally do not appreciate being told that I have no "grace" simply because I did not express public thanks for the pleasure of seeing a card again in my Favorites gallery. So I personally found your categorization of me as both "rude" and "graceless" rather disrespectful. I realize that your comments were not directed at me personally, but rather at a whole group of nameless and faceless SCS members, but nevertheless, since I fall into that group, the comments hit one of their marks.

You started this thread by calling the vast majority of SCS members "rude", which is not a particularly productive or respectful way to start a conversation. Is it any wonder that some may have taken offense and also responded in a negative tone? Perhaps this is an instance of "if you can't take the heat, don't start a controversial thread by insulting most of the likely participants".
Old 02-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #79  
Matboard Maniac

On dial up it is next to impossible to VIEW 100 cards a day let alone comment on them, I am sorry that the comments mean so much to some and wish there were enough minutes in the day...
now off to make a card for a little one...thanks for the link Rox 71
Old 02-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #80  
Watercolor Wizard

Hi Girls!
I am just going to jump in real quick to kinda put a damper on where this thread is headed.
Let's just all take a few moments to breathe in....breathe out....and in.....and out......

Ahhh now back to the thread...Please, we ask that no one person is targeted, and that there are no names being called. Being that we are on a TYPE WRITTEN forum it is difficult to really know what a person means when they type as written word often lacks the inflection voice would normally carry.
So let's just let this thread kinda chill and if you have something USEFUL to add, please feel free to, just be careful to be kind and respectful.
Thanks and have a great night!