Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Number of Posts -- Is it really important? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/number-posts-really-important-180725/)

dansah 09-05-2006 02:24 PM

Number of Posts -- Is it really important?

OK - please dont' hate me -- but a couple times now I've wondered --- why do they show post counts?

I've been a lurker seems like a long time, and frankly, SCS is not the only place people can go to chat. That said, is someone who has 1,000 posts 10 times more credible than one with 100 posts?

Someone was judging a BST transaction based on number of posts the seller has, and another post today a reply was made about the number of posts. Everyone is a beginner at some point.....

Maybe this belongs on the forum for the people that run the board - or maybe I'm missing the point, so tell me, is it important?

SDiegoGal 09-05-2006 02:29 PM

I don't think it is all that important. I think it just shows that some people (like me!) love this place SO much! ;)

Mahloumel 09-05-2006 02:29 PM

Well, usually a person's first post goes along the lines of, "This is my first post! I hope I put it in the right place. Looking forward to finding all the cool things on this website!" When someone's first post is less hesitant than usual, or is about something other than how do I do this/where do I find this/Hello world! then that stands out and makes people wonder. I guess it is just our expectations of folks' first posts that lead us to pay attention to posters with low post counts.

XcessStamps 09-05-2006 02:29 PM

Not important to me at all.

buggab0o0 09-05-2006 02:34 PM

not that it matters but dont the # of posts we make change our little names under our profile- polyshrink goddess, embossing fanatic... i thought they did , if not how do those change?

Faereygirl 09-05-2006 02:44 PM

Not to but in....but it does seem sometimes that people tend to judge a persons 'reliability' or whatever (I'm not sure what word I need there, really) on how many posts they've made...

Personally...I don't are if it's your first or ten thousandth post....its just for fun here! Fun and inspiration!

JulieHRR 09-05-2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansah
OK - please dont' hate me -- but a couple times now I've wondered --- why do they show post counts?

Your curiosity is natural; I don't think anybody would hate you for asking this! :grin:

Quote:

I've been a lurker seems like a long time, and frankly, SCS is not the only place people can go to chat.
Sure!

Quote:

That said, is someone who has 1,000 posts 10 times more credible than one with 100 posts?
Well, a higher number of posts would be indicative of someone who is an actively participating community member and they have established a "presence". The community gets to know any given individual (well, as much as one possibly can, I guess when you consider this is the internet) by their posts.

Quote:

Someone was judging a BST transaction based on number of posts the seller has, and another post today a reply was made about the number of posts. Everyone is a beginner at some point.....
Well, like most folks, I'm cautious on the internet; when it comes to BST transactions, I'm far more likely to do business with someone I feel a bit of familiarity with, than I would a total stranger.

And, yes, that is true: everybody is a beginner at some point.

I guess I look at it the same as shopping online: would I do business with a person or company that has minimal transactions, or do I look for individuals/companies that have a higher number of transactions--a proven history of doing business, and given that, feel more comfortable assuming that the individual/company is more than likely a reliable one with whom to do business?

Quote:

Maybe this belongs on the forum for the people that run the board - or maybe I'm missing the point, so tell me, is it important?
Generally speaking, no, post counts are not "important", for the purposes of just being a member of SCS, at least, not that I know of. :grin:

HTH!

longtimestamper 09-05-2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
Well, usually a person's first post goes along the lines of, "This is my first post! I hope I put it in the right place. Looking forward to finding all the cool things on this website!"

I can't remember my first post but I sure hope that it wasn't like that. It may reflect some people's personality but it wouldn't be me. Contrary to what that might suggest I'm trustworthy and intelligent. It is sad to think that people would be sitting around wondering about me just because I didn't speak until I had something to say.

This topic gave me a chuckle. While some are sitting here being concerned about low numbers others are obsessing about high numbers. I saw a series of meaningless posts from one member for the sole purpose of making her count higher. So I guess the numbers really do matter... to some people.

Jeanne S 09-05-2006 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansah

I've been a lurker seems like a long time, and frankly, SCS is not the only place people can go to chat. That said, is someone who has 1,000 posts 10 times more credible than one with 100 posts?

There is another place to chat???? :shock:

SDiegoGal 09-05-2006 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
There is another place to chat???? :shock:

*giggle* That smiley goes perfect with your statement.

shell_scraps 09-05-2006 03:43 PM

I think that it's like any other "home in cyberspace". You look for people who have been around for a while...have some history..even if that history is only 1000 posts long..that's about 800 more than I have...

I think that if you are going to go into a transaction of any type with someone then it comes into play more...like for swaps or B/S/T items...

Jami 09-05-2006 04:07 PM

Well I hardly every post ;) , but I was going to say almost the exact same thing JulieHRR already said. So I guess I'll go back to lurking.:o

stitchinstampin 09-05-2006 04:07 PM

What .....counting posts? LOL.....well I guess I never noticed ..........am I clueless or what???

Obviously not important to me either!

this was good for a laugh for me......LOL
and I needed one! lOL

Lori

Dorinda 09-05-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Your curiosity is natural; I don't think anybody would hate you for asking this! :grin:

Sure!

Well, a higher number of posts would be indicative of someone who is an actively participating community member and they have established a "presence". The community gets to know any given individual (well, as much as one possibly can, I guess when you consider this is the internet) by their posts.

Well, like most folks, I'm cautious on the internet; when it comes to BST transactions, I'm far more likely to do business with someone I feel a bit of familiarity with, than I would a total stranger.

I guess I look at it the same as shopping online: would I do business with a person or company that has minimal transactions, or do I look for individuals/companies that have a higher number of transactions--a proven history of doing business, and given that, feel more comfortable assuming that the individual/company is more than likely a reliable one with whom to do business?

Generally speaking, no, post counts are not "important", for the purposes of just being a member of SCS, at least, not that I know of. :grin:

HTH!

will you stop reading my mind?....lol...;)

Babsnelson 09-05-2006 05:03 PM

I have to admit that most of my first posts were comments in the gallery. I didn't venture over to the forums until I'd been on the site for a while. If you're concerned about your post count - head to the gallery!! Everyone LOVES comments.

nmslmomto3 09-05-2006 05:14 PM

I just have to post to say I agree with everyone and am getting a chuckle out of some of the higher posters saying they just lurk!

Mahloumel 09-05-2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimestamper
I saw a series of meaningless posts from one member for the sole purpose of making her count higher. So I guess the numbers really do matter... to some people.

That is too bad. When I get within two hundred posts from the next name change, I head to the gallery!

Gina K. Designs 09-05-2006 05:27 PM

The number of posts do not give anyone "credibility" as far as skills and abilities. Say, for example, If Heidi Swapp started posting here, she would only have a few posts but...need I say more?

In fact, there are a couple of very quiet gals who are quite big in the industry who come here to ask a few questions about what stampers and scrabookers like and then use that info to do great things for us in this industry. Their amount of posts are very low. They read a lot but don't say much.They are busy and maybe don't have time to post a lot. Some have been here for years but maybe just joined so they could ask questions.

So, don't worry about the numbers thing. Just have fun, share, learn and enjoy!
Gina K.

Kelster 09-05-2006 05:35 PM

This is too funny! I never realized that posts were tracked. Interesting...lI do love this site and love checking out cards made with stamp sets I have.

propecia 09-05-2006 05:44 PM

there are post counts on scs??

Gina K. Designs 09-05-2006 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propecia

http://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...lmaosmiley.gif
...Ummm, yes, there are.
Gina K.

GarnetJ 09-05-2006 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propecia

Too funny!!!!!!!

kristransue 09-05-2006 05:54 PM

The only reason I care is because I don't wanna be a "glitter guru". I am so NOT a glitter girl. Well, I take that back, I do own some stickles now . . . but I'll be happy when that changes. Otherwise I think it is just a fun thing to watch change.

JulieHRR 09-05-2006 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jami
Well I hardly every post ;) , but I was going to say almost the exact same thing JulieHRR already said. So I guess I'll go back to lurking.:o

http://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...ffeescreen.gif

Jami 09-05-2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

:cool:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dorinda 09-05-2006 06:05 PM

oh ya and no post cheating either! some SCSers out there have been warned.......:lol:http://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...utersmile1.gif

MonTigg 09-05-2006 06:08 PM

Quote:

Sure!

HTH!

My thoughts EXACTLY! :) Well said!

Ksullivan 09-05-2006 06:18 PM

Quote:

LOL ;) at almost 33,000 post you hardly ever post!
K

jodieg3 09-05-2006 06:22 PM

Wow, been having lots of fun reading this! I just had to reply so that I could see if I had any posts? :confused: Never looked before, guess cause I don't say much unless I see a card by someone that I like then I like to let them know I liked it.......... but I did wonder why my name changed.

jodieg3 09-05-2006 06:23 PM

O.K. ... Thank you, now I know I have posts and how many.

Ksullivan 09-05-2006 06:25 PM

I think the number of posting is just fun!
However on the BST board, you want to BST with someone who is crediable, so that would be someone that has more post and everyone knows and has successfully traded with. You might be warey of someone with only a few post, just a thought.
K

luvmicop 09-05-2006 06:31 PM

OK I am really sorry to just jump in on someone's forum, but I have a question and don't know who to ask. I just started to sell stampin up and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the difference between white vellum cardstock and white vellum paper is. I am so confused! HELP!

Jami 09-05-2006 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvmicop
OK I am really sorry to just jump in on someone's forum, but I have a question and don't know who to ask. I just started to sell stampin up and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the difference between white vellum cardstock and white vellum paper is. I am so confused! HELP!

You are in the right Forum - General Stamping Talk - you just need to click Start a New Thread at the top of the forum and post your question. Also you will want to join the Demo Only Forum for lots of business help. Go to the Home Page and click on Join a User Group on the left hand side.

Oh and in answer to your actual question vellum paper is thinner than vellum CS. But you still might want to start a thread.:)

Jami 09-05-2006 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksullivan
LOL ;) at almost 33,000 post you hardly ever post!
K

But who's counting, right?;)

Gina K. Designs 09-05-2006 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvmicop

LOL, Vellum cardstock is thicker and more rigid. Vellum Paper is very thin.

Gina K.

alashly 09-05-2006 06:38 PM

Sorry to interupt i need help!!

hi i need to design a invitation for a "mystey dinner" it is for a large charity org. it will be a formal event minimum donations are $500 so it needs to look NICE not cheap or cheesy can anyone help me:confused:

luvmicop 09-05-2006 06:39 PM

Thanks so much, I didn't know about the thread thing. Next time I'll do that, in the man time, thanks for the info~

Jami 09-05-2006 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alashly
hi i need to design a invitation for a "mystey dinner" it is for a large charity org. it will be a formal event minimum donations are $500 so it needs to look NICE not cheap or cheesy can anyone help me:confused:

Amylynn - you also need to just jump in and start a new thread. I'm sure you'll get a lot of response. Click on General Satmping Talk at the top of the page, then under that you'll see a button for Start a New Thread. HTH.

Kathyc 09-05-2006 07:07 PM

Just jumping in to say that Julie finds the best smilies Thanks for making me laugh every time you join in a thread! And Gina, you've got me very curious about these lurking celebrities you speak of........:cool:

propecia 09-05-2006 07:27 PM

Quote:

But who's counting, right?;)

I have no idea what you are talking about and I don't want to know. :roll: