Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Now an expert on unmounting stamps!

For those of you thinking of unmounting your stamps I can share my experiences now that I have about 1,000 stamps unmounted.
First of all, you SU people are lucky. A few seconds in the microwave and those stamps pull off easily along with the backing all in one piece. I just took them off and stuck them on a transparent plastic sheet in a binder.
Some of the other companies' stamps are a lot harder to separate. The microwave helps, but many come off with bits and chunks of mounting foam attached. Some of it pulls off easily, gray color is best. But some red mounting foam is nearly impossible. I spent lots of time trying to pry it off from a corner of the rubber, but final got out the goo-gone. Hate the smell of it, but it does dissolve the glue between the rubber and mounting foam. Just douse the back of the stamp liberally with goo-gone and then give it about 1/2 hour before you pick at the back of the stamp to remove the bits. I then washed the bare rubber in hot soapy water to give off the final remnants of glue.
Next I coated the backs of the bare rubber or mounting that stayed perfectly adhered to rubber (but not sticky) with Alene's Tack It Over and Over. This is pretty messy. I had myself pretty tacky at times...it was pretty funny 'cause everything I touched attached to me! Keep lots of baby wipes handy to clean yourself up. Clean your brush in hot soapy water immediately.
There you go! Good luck if you decide to take the plunge. It took me a year to get up the courage, but i can't believe the space i saved! Now I have 8 binders full of stamps and all my alphabets in CD cases (except the very tiny ones which I left on wood). Still have some backgrounds left on wood, too. They are on that red mounting foam and I just don't want to face the goo-gone battle there.

Ring the bell that still can ring, forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets through. Leonard Cohen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:02 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Congratulations on all that hard work!! Enjoy your new found space! And, the room to buy more stamps. tee hee... Now that mine are "hidden" that's what I do!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:32 AM   #3  
Failed Lurker

If I peel an SU stamp off its wood, will it remount or do I need some sort of adhesive?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:53 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemeynell
If I peel an SU stamp off its wood, will it remount or do I need some sort of adhesive?
I think some folks have just left it like that and it has been sticky enough to work over and over, and for a long time. If it eventually loses that stickiness, then you can use the Tack it Over or, use EZ cling! There was a lot of discussion a while back which was the best method for UMs...
Old 04-21-2006, 11:57 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I've pulled a few of mine off and they remount not too badly. I love the idea of saving all that space! Maybe someday I will get the nerve to do that! Do you have certain acrylic pieces that you mount them on to use now? Where did you find them? Would make things SO MUCH easier to go to scrap days and events and not stop at some point and wish you had brought that certain set!!! You put it in a binder and take it with you! Wonderful!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #6  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by allamericanstampers
I think some folks have just left it like that and it has been sticky enough to work over and over, and for a long time. If it eventually loses that stickiness, then you can use the Tack it Over or, use EZ cling! There was a lot of discussion a while back which was the best method for UMs...
Great, thanks! I only want to do it the once - to create space between the flower head and stem - so I should be okay. Thanks
Old 04-21-2006, 12:04 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Ahh, the joys of sticky, sticky tack-it-over-and-over!

I got tired of cleaning the brush, so I started spreading it around with my fingers. It's quite easy to get off your skin with rubbing alcohol, by the way.

Another nice thing about going unmounted - you know those foam-mounted sets at Michaels and Jo-Anns - the ones that are very inexpensive compared to wood-mounted and unmounted? I've had a number of sets of those-3 different Anna Griffin alphabets, 3 or 4 sentiments collections and some other alpha and holiday sets - and they were all really easy to remove from the foam. And they work a LOT better as unmounted stamps than they do on those stupid foam mounts.

Last edited by cbet; 04-21-2006 at 12:10 PM..
Old 04-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree with you, cbet. I was ready to throw away some of the foam mounted stamps. Now that they are unmounted they work great!
As for the question about acrylic mounts, i just ordered some from QVC. They are the ones with grid marks on them. Makes lining up stamps so much easier. I have one already and it is the only one I like to use.

Ring the bell that still can ring, forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets through. Leonard Cohen
Old 04-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to shellca

I'm about 3/4's done unmounting all of my su retired stamp sets (about 100 or more so far). It really does save space. Right now I'm going to store them in cd cases. I'm still debating on whether to unmount my others too. Sure would save some space, and then dh wouldn't really have a clue as to what I have. I would love to unmount my current Su sets, but I'm hoping to become a demonstrator (still trying to talk dh into it) so I'll have to keep them mounted just in case.

Took me a long time to convince myself to do this.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Congrats and welcome to the world of unmounted -- you'll never regret it! Now, you just need to learn to cut-up all those lovely stamps

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Old 04-21-2006, 06:50 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

I have a question about unmounting foam-mounted stamps. I um'd one of the cheapie foam-mounted stamp sets from Michaels (the Celestial set if anyone's wondering) and it was super easy to do. But, I also have a few PSX foam-mounted sets from years ago, and those suckers are stuck on the foam GOOD! I don't want to put them in the microwave because I am worried about the foam. I have been thinking about hot or boiling water. Has anyone who um'd the PSX stamps got any tips?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:34 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Wondering.... if you take the rubber stamps & cushion off the wood block, do you also remove the cushion with the sticky adhesive & get rid of it, or leave it on? I would think it would be too sticky to use on an acrylic block? I thought the idea was to end up with only the rubber stamp image.
Thanks,
Kitty
Old 04-22-2006, 02:26 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Santakitty, If the whole cushion came off cleanly with the rubber attached I just put Aleene's Tack it Over on the back of the cushion. Some of them still had a little of the adhesive from between the cushion and wooden block, but it didn't keep the Tack it Over from sticking to the cushion. If the cushion had some chunks missing when I pulled it off the wood I totally removed the cushion. So far it seems okay to just stamp with them with a mouse pad underneath the paper as others here have suggested. Hope that answers your question.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:34 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

OMG, I never knew people did such a thing!! Although, I can imagine how nice it would be not to have a visual reminder for prying eyes (I do love him though) on just exactly how much stuff I have accumulated... I guess though it's not an option for me even to consider since I'm a demo. Interesting idea though. I think it could be fun for alphabet stamps? If you stick them to a long something can you line up a whole word or saying without having to individually stamp each letter? Maybe making it straighter? Hmmm...
Old 04-22-2006, 02:59 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Mel - I did try putting some of the foam-mounted stamps in the microwave to unmount them. It didn't hurt the foam, but it didn't get the adhesive to let loose either. I had a couple of sets of used stamps that were mounted on red rubber cushion that were undercut by whoever trimmed them and I used Un-Du to get them to let loose and it worked great - maybe try that. I just made sure I had a container of warm soapy water to put the stamp in as soon as the cushion and adhesive were off. Note to anyone thinking of trying this - the adhesive on that red rubber cushion (it's the cushion TAC used to use before they switched to the EZ Mount and I think they still have it available for purchase) is some STRONG stuff. And exquisitely sticky and goopy when you start working at it with UnDu.

Quote:

I think it could be fun for alphabet stamps? If you stick them to a long something can you line up a whole word or saying without having to individually stamp each letter? Maybe making it straighter? Hmmm....
Yep, works like a dream. And if you have a word where you need two of a letter that you only have one of, the acrylic block makes it simple to see where to line things up to fill it in.

You should see our house at Christmas-it's become a tradition for hubby and son and I to stamp cards to go out, but they don't like peeling them off and on the blocks. We have stamps stuck to jenga blocks, acrylic blocks, the bottoms of water glasses. . .
Old 04-22-2006, 03:17 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

There are new blocks (ack, now I can't remember who makes them) that are out or coming out soon that have a grid on them -- not just 1 line up and 1 line down but a whole grid. I will be getting one or two of those for lining up my alpha stamps (I really love that CTMH alpha sets come with duplicate letters -- it is so easy to spell out an entire word!).

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Old 04-22-2006, 07:55 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Pam - thanks for clearing up my confusion...
Kitty
Old 04-23-2006, 04:43 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

I just unmounted my four PSX foam-mounted sets, and all it took was some drops of Un-Du to both sides of one corner. So long as I started pulling at the corner while tehre was still some un-du there, the rubber just peeled right off. No mess either, which is a huge bonus! Woohoo!!!
Old 04-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Now I have gone UM crazy! I found some more foam-mounted stamp sets and managed to rip them off the foam with a little convincing. I feel guilty tossing all this foam, but don't know what else to do with it. Some I will keep for an ad-hoc "shapes and shadows" set, but I don't need seventy!
Old 08-06-2006, 08:07 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

I am saving this link to read when I have more time.