Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are Blogs Necessary?

Oops, my ignorance is showing again! Are blogs necessary for being on a design team? I don't have one because I really don't think people want to hear about my washing machine throwing up water into the shower stall or about the cat stalking my children. Is a blog a must? What's everybody's feelings on that?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I use my blog to promote The Angel Company business, I don't put personal stuff out there.

I think for design teams they want creative blogs.

Some have 2 blogs. One for personal, and the other for crafts/business

Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SusieQStamps4U....I agree with you. I don't go onto blog websites anymore since I don't give a hoot to hear about someone's personal matters. I had gone onto a few that I thought were from crafters, but to find most chatter was about family.

Just my opinion.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to be on a design team, most of the ones I have seen seem to require a regular blog. And you don't want your blog to be heavy on the personal stuff (I really don't care about reading a bunch of personal stuff - I'm there to look at cards, etc.)

Many people have two blogs, one crafty and one personal, or they do one craft blog and use facebook for personal stuff.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I have seen a lot of great blogs through the blogging forums here on scs. A large percentage are focused on projects, not the author's life. As if there weren't enough ideas here, I find a ton more in my blurfing.

I do think most dt's require a blog to share your projects and promote their product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't use my blog as a personal diary. It is 99% just my artwork. Sometimes, I throw in a tidbit but not that often and what I do is usually pretty generic.

I like having my stuff together and under my own control. I do see blogs and DT being as one, but that is because I am in the blog world. I don't see people's stuff otherwise. I guess, the people offering DTs have a desire to see their stuff out there and a blog is an excellent delivery option.

Cheers,
Michelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusieQStamps4UView Post
Oops, my ignorance is showing again! Are blogs necessary for being on a design team? I don't have one because I really don't think people want to hear about my washing machine throwing up water into the shower stall or about the cat stalking my children. Is a blog a must? What's everybody's feelings on that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I use my blog 99% for paper crafts with a few photos thrown in here or there.

As for needing a blog for DT, I know a lot of places require it in as you are supposed to be promoting their products. I started a blog for my work before ever getting on a DT and I would say that it definitely has helped my work "get out there".

I don't find it a lot of work to blog bc I just cut and paste my supply lists etc. while I'm uploading to galleries. Plus I like to "power blog" while I'm watching TV---I can set up a week's worth of blog posts during my viewing time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After being on a couple of design teams. They ask me if I had a blog. I think they really wanted for you to be able to share their Sneak Peaks and link from your blog to their website.

Promotional reasons I think.

I had just one blog at the time, But since I'm a Demo for The Angel Company aka TAC.
TAC requested that we didn't link our blog to our TAC website. And because I had other stamp companies on my blog. I created another blog for other companies.

So now I have two blogs. that I need to keep up on.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love the paper craft blogs! I have about 50 that I subscribe to in my google reader. I don't read them all, but I glance at them to see if something really catches my eye.

My very very favorite blog is from one of our SCS - her blog is Paperlicious.
So, yes, I love the blogs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

most design teams will require blogs. 99% of my post are about crafts, I try not to add to much personal stuff
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

All your points make sense. Free publicity for a product is always good. The blogs that I have visited from links on SCS have been craft related as opposed to family oriented. I'm starting to see the light:-) Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #12  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

I, just like many others here you have heard from, also have a blog. I have it mostly for my design work.

However, I occasionally chat about life- (like yesterday's post) because I look at blogs for MANY things, not just paper crafts. Recipes come to mind first, and occasionally anything humorous can always be enjoyable. I keep my personal blah blah blah to a minimum because I do agree that most do not care! ;) I do have a few friends that read it though, and they are usually the ones who will comment on the personal stuff.

Some people like to know you are dealing with the same thing as them with your 3 yo or what have you-and sometimes mixing it up is welcomed imo. sometimes. ;)

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I use my blog for both...but I hardly post text without a card or creation. So those there just looking for that can see my card and move on. My friends and family can read the actual content.

Most Design Teams require you to have a blog so they can get more exposure. Not very many people search through the galleries on here like before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

It used to be that the primary means of promoting product was via print media; designers would have to physically send in their design samples to the company.

Now the primary marketing tool it is the internet and blogs are a a very useful online marketing tool for many companies, so they often require that their DT members have blogs. Not all companies do, but, I'd be surprised at this point that any company doesn't.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I agree that most companies will want you to have a blog. The way that I look at it --it's a 'portfolio' of your work, as well as a good place to list supplies used, sources, techniques, tutorials, etc. Very helpful for your fans who may want to learn how to make cards like yours, which I consider the ultimate flattery. It's very easy to get started, and you'll soon discover how rewarding it is to receive wonderful comments from your blog readers. It is a big motivation for me to keep going, since I want to please my readers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I also meant to say that people have blogs for a gazillion different reasons and some have multiple and blogs for a variety of topics--family, craft, maybe a cause they support, etc.

I started my blog to document my creative journey and development as a stamper. But, occasionally, I blog about my family and even my dog.

Readers can take it leave it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I generally only put card projects on my blog. I may make an announcement or two on my blog, but that's often because many people know me who also read my blog. But I don't make posts about things that are not card/art projects. Almost every company that i have seen wants you to have your own blog to post projects on if you are going to be on their design team.

Holley
a project everyday! http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

There are hundreds of reasons to blog and there are blog communities for just about anything you can think of (politics, religion, model trains, renaissance reconstruction, family updates, yadda, yadda, yadda). If you don't fit in the category of wanting to read about duff washing machines and psycho cats and you want a readership that is also not interested in those things, don't write about them! Like many others here, I use my blog to share my crafting, not details of my personal life.

Even those companies that do not require a blog as a prerequisite for being on the DT tend to like it if you have one. As Julie said, the internet is now the way most of us get to see new stuff first so using blogs and online galleries is an important way for companies to get their stuff out there. A blog shows that not only can you make stuff, you can photograph it and present it in an attractive way. I think most DT work is not about making samples and sending them in to the company for use at trade shows or in stores (although there is undoubtedly some of that) - it's about getting as wide an audience as possible for what you do and a blog is one way to achieve that.

Apart from all that, blogging can be fun and a great way to "meet" different people

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes