Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #281  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by troopersmaView Post
2) You have to buy stamps in sets. It's too expensive (especially since they are mounted).
LOL, it was the coordinated sets of images that really got me into SU! and stamping! I would have started this hobby as a young teenager if I'd known about SU! then, because I just couldn't afford what the craft stores were charging for a single stamp that required me to then find a background that looked good with it, plus purchasing a handful of different sentiments. Even after all that, I was pretty limited as to what I could do.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #282  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm Happy, I like tons of things from tons of companies. I'm not surpised to see more non SU though because there is just so many unique companies out there. I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #283  
Glitter Guru

I'd like to see SU release more funky sets, more boy/male sets, more animals, some sets for women/girlfriends (that are NOT flowers), and more sentiment sets that don't have a religious reference.

And I'd like fewer cartoon-type images in all subjects (or more sets that are not cartoony). For example, the animal sets SU does have tend to be childish (not all, but most).

I'm not dissing SU for what they have, I'd just like to see a broader selection. I think SU could get a little more in step with the current trends without sacrificing the things we like about their products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #284  
Cardstock Collector

I am just curious, for those saying that other companies offer more variety or cheaper options what companies are you thinking of? I have done a lot of searching (although I don't claim it to be exhaustive) and have not found cardstock of equal quality for a cheaper price and certainly with the same number of colors that SU offers. I have also done a lot of looking at other companies' stamps and it seems to me that most of them offer pretty much the same sort of images that SU has. None of them seem to have a lot of masculine stamps. Have I missed something? I s there a company that offers more for a cheaper price?

Last edited by sheriinman; 03-18-2009 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #285  
Rubber Obsessor

I am with Sheriinman, I haven't found anything cheaper on line or in stores. If I buy 5 or 6 stamps elsewhere, they end up costing on average $8.00 or $9.00 apiece, so you do the math 6 stamps at $8.00 each = $48.00, how is this any cheaper??? :confused: If anyone out there can find nice quality stamps please share!!

Tiffy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #286  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm mostly a SU! user - I got into it when my sister became a demo and now we do a private monthly stamp club with a set group. I've seen other companies that have sets I like but I have not tried yet. While I'd say 90% of my supplies are SU!, with the rest being store bought, I don't feel a need to limit myself. I like SU! - their cardstock is great, I love the coordinating colors, etc. I like that they have added to their embellishments in recent years. They work for me, but I also don't have a rule that I have to use SU! only.

Every company has a different business model. I do sometimes see sets that have only one or two stamps I would use - if I want them bad enough then I'll buy the set to get them. Why? Because their quality is better than any store bought stamp I've purchased, the images are better than any store bought stamp I've purchased, and I usually end up using most of the other stamps in the set at some point.

I would like to see more guy sets, a bit more variety than so many flowers, and maybe more artistic variety too - not so many sketched in the same technique or style. But that's the exact reason why I look elsewhere, if I see something else I love then I'll get it.

I am happy they're going back to 1 catty a year. I also would have no problem with them offering an UM version of their images, as long as WM is still available as that is my preference right now. But I also understand that NO company can please 100% of their consumers - it's just not possible.
~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #287  
Glitter Guru

Gina K Designs - stamp sets are not more than $24.95 each and some offer a lot of images in them! (case in point newly released A Charmed Life-59 images for $23.95)

her new colored cardstock (black onyx is the first of more to come) is thicker than SU!'s

and considering the fact that shipping is free with a $50 order that's a great deal! One of the deal breakers for me as a SU! demo is the price of shipping with them. Even with my discount, I feel like it's not a good enough deal for me.

Check Gina K out - there are a great variety of stamps (even masculine) such as Just So Sporty and Tee Talk to name a few.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheriinmanView Post
I am just curious, for those saying that other companies offer more variety or cheaper options what companies are you thinking of? I have done a lot of searching (although I don't claim it to be exhaustive) and have not found cardstock of equal quality for a cheaper price and certainly with the same number of colors that SU offers. I have also done a lot of looking at other companies' stamps and it seems to me that most of them offer pretty much the same sort of images that SU has. None of them seem to have a lot of masculine stamps. Have I missed something? I s there a company that offers more for a cheaper price?
Gina K. Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #288  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiffy355View Post
I am with Sheriinman, I haven't found anything cheaper on line or in stores. If I buy 5 or 6 stamps elsewhere, they end up costing on average $8.00 or $9.00 apiece, so you do the math 6 stamps at $8.00 each = $48.00, how is this any cheaper??? :confused: If anyone out there can find nice quality stamps please share!!

Tiffy
You are pricing wood mounted rubber stamps, right? And for those you are exactly right. If you like every stamp in a set you would have a hard time beating SU price. What others on this thread are comparing the SU price to is either unmounted rubber, clear acrylic, or in some cases buying individual stamps because that is the only one that they like. In the case of clear stamps you can get a whole set (usually a much larger set than SU offers) for much less money, the same with unmounted rubber. As for individual stamps, if all you want is one stamp out of a set (or something similar) then it would be cheaper to buy just one stamp for 6 or 7 dollars than a whole set for $25 when you wouldn't use them.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #289  
Polyshrink Goddess

Gina K Designs are really nice and there is a great variety. (and her video's and techniques are awesome) I prefer wood stamps so I don't buy those. I'm not knocking unmounted stamps in no way; I just don't like them for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #290  
Stazon Splitcoast

Love SU papers and Inks, have tried so many others, and love them the most.
love unmounted, clear, block, digi any kind of stamp ;)
we all have personal preference, and glad we have so much to choose from now ;)
Im a happy stamper ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #291  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbaker3View Post
Gina K Designs - stamp sets are not more than $24.95 each and some offer a lot of images in them! (case in point newly released A Charmed Life-59 images for $23.95)

this is comparing apples to oranges!

these aren't wood mounted stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #292  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheriinmanView Post

Off the top of my head, Inkadinkado and Hero Arts both offer many of their stamps as either wood-mounted or clear - I love the fact that I have the option of clear - more bang for my buck, and space-saving as well. Cornish Heritage Farms offers woodmounted or unmounted, as does The Cat's Pajamas. Many other manufacturers offer these options as well.

And as far as images that are different from Stampin Up, well, there's Savvy stamps, Sideshow Stamps, Memory Box, Basic Grey, Pink Paislee, ChatterBox, just to name a few...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #293  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post

Which is one of the reasons I moved away from SU to companies like Gina K.

Wood mounted take up WAY too much space.

I *love* my Unity handles, so that I can use cling rubber but still have that wood mounted feel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #294  
Rubber Obsessor

I was thinking..... SU offers a catalog of 208 pages of products. While people are pleased or (displeased ) They are busy manufacturing new items for the next catty. Can you imagine. They are making plates to carve for the stamp sets, designs to approve, buying rubber, wood, paper, working on the new in colors and manufacturing ribbons, Big shot supplies and ect ect... Just think that catalog which is the biggest and best out there they are busy getting ready for the next catty and all those Mini's Most companies offer a few new stamp sets a year . How many new things do you think Su releases a year?? Keep in mind they just can not snap thier fingers and all these NEW products appear. It takes time and lots of planning to get all those new products in the catalog. They are the biggest, although they do not please everyone, how many other companies offer all that SU does? You go SU, you pioneered stamps and are still the front runner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #295  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post

I agree, apples to oranges, but probably not the way you intended. I actually have sets from SU! that are probably ten years old and some of those images have never seen ink. :o I just didn't like those particular images, never have, never will. I was forced to buy them in a set with an image or two that I did like because I could not buy the set without them. Yes, I love WM stamps - they are my absolute favorite. But storing WM stamps that you *never* use - for a decade?? That's not cheap in my book. I paid $25 for two stamps?? Not only that, but not one single person on the BST forum was interested - I'm not sure that I can even give them away. Not that these are bad stamps, just that nobody is interested in the same old.
To me it's cheaper to buy UM - cheaper to buy, cheaper to store and easier to deal with. I have sheets of rubber from when I was a member of Club Stamp that have never been used either - but people want those (go figure) so I could sell or trade them, and they don't take up nearly the same amount of space. And they were a significantly better deal at the time.
Don't get me wrong, I have sets from SU! that I love and would never sell. I wish SU! would give the option to buy UM, but that's ok if they never do. In the meantime I will continue to buy stamps from all over, stamps that I will use - those are way cheaper than anything that just sits around - WM or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #296  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm also into the unmounted. I find the Angel Company is very reasonable! You can get several stamps in a set for $10!! Some are more, some are less, but very reasonably priced! So yes, apples and oranges are different, but the wood is too costly, and takes up too much space for my craft room. That's not to say I don't still purchase from them,because I do. Just not near as often as I used too, because SU was actually what got me started in the stamping world! Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #297  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbaker3View Post

her new colored cardstock (black onyx is the first of more to come) is thicker than SU!'s

and considering the fact that shipping is free with a $50 order that's a great deal! One of the deal breakers for me as a SU! demo is the price of shipping with them. Even with my discount, I feel like it's not a good enough deal for me.

Check Gina K out - there are a great variety of stamps (even masculine) such as Just So Sporty and Tee Talk to name a few.
Yes, but they're unmounted and used with acrylic blocks.... What about us who want the quality of wood mounted stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 02:51 AM   #298  
Rubber Obsessor

I also am completely puzzled why a creative person would restrict themselves to the offering of just one company. I have been stamping for a long time (long before I could buy SU stuff), so I have plenty to compare with. Having said that I do like SU stamps and I am a real flower girl, so I love all their flower stamps, although I am very selective in what I buy and find their offerings do get a bit 'same-ish' over time. I do hate the fact that I can't buy unmounted though and am paying for stuff I don't want. It strikes me it wouldn't require a lot to change this, just the will.

I also have to take issue with comments about the quality of the SU cardstock. I did a comparison with the stuff I buy in my local craft shop. I buy a French made brand of white cardstock which I use loads of and it is far, far superior - heavier weight and smoother. My only complaint is that it is only available in a small range of colours. For the actual card itself I find SU cardstock too flimsy. It is fine for matting and layering and the colours are lovely. So, I just use whichever product suits the use I have for it at the time. I like to be independent and don't do slavish adherance to anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 03:19 AM   #299  
Insane Embellisher

I definitely love SU CS.. PTI has better white for copics IMO, but, SU CS is sturdy for card bases.. esp in comparison to CTMH (whom I love and still use, but I wish the cs was a little thicker!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 04:26 AM   #300  
Rubber Obsessor

I have to admit that I have bought SU card stock only once. I do like it a lot, but near where I live there is a great paper store (Hallo's) that has card stock in various weights and a zillion colors/shades and it's only $1.25 per pound (usually that is about 25-35 sheets). My favorites are the textured ones as well as the "confetti." I have never had a problem matching a color to a SU color!!!

For all of you who suggested I go to the Gina K. sight, thanks!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 05:16 AM   #301  
Crimping Master

I started stamping when a friend took me to another friend's house who was and SU demo. I got hooked pretty easily because she had classes and taught me how to use the stamps and inks and do different techniques. She isn't a demo anymore but another very good friend is now and I get my SU stuff from her.

I love the card stock and ink colours and haven't had problems with my ink pads. The CS is thick and strong and I love the colours.

I think that SU is marketing to us and playing us a bit with all the in colours and the two catalogues per year but they are a business. The high prices here in Canada frustrate me too as well as the high shipping.

I still and will always buy SU.

I will buy clear sets if I really like them but my issue with those is that some company's clear stamps do not produce nice images. SU stamps always produce a nice clear, clean thin lined image and after not playing with my SU stuff and using stuff from other places for a few months I went to use a chicken set from SU. It was really thin lines and the image was amazing. I remembered why I liked them. Lots of other companies make nice stamps with great images as well that are very clear and clean. I like some of the stuff at Gina K but I find the lines are thick. I have lots of Stamping Bella stamps now because the whimsy of them just appeals to me and the images are good quality. I buy alot from my local stamp store as well and rubber is just better quality images overall. I'll only buy clear if I have to have it.

I've also found that some of the cheaper companies tend to make sets that copy SU or stampendous or other companies and make excuses like there are only so many ideas and if my stuff looks like something else you've seen I didn't copy it I just thought of it too. Not naming any names here but who would believe that????

I wish SU did offer the option of mounted or unmounted but then I'd be stuck. I actually have found I prefer wood mounted and so I always mount my SU sets but for storage and price the UM take up less space and are cheaper. But you can't compare UM to mounted sets for price because it is apples and oranges. As I said I like Gina K images but I have only ever used one of the stamps from the sets I ordered there.

I just buy what I like and from whoever has it at a reasonabel price.

I will always buy from SU, Stamping Bella, Marchant's Paper, Heather's Stamping Haven. They are all local because my SU demo is local. From there I will buy it if I really like it and I can afford it and afford the shipping.

The exception to clear stamped images is PTI - the quality there is as good as SU and I have and will continue to buy from them but I do only a big order because shipping to Canada is sooooo high - however they offer a discount if your order comes to a certain total and so that makes it reasonable again.

Cat's Pajamas also has nice clear images but they are almost all thick lines and that's OK because that is the style of the stamps.

I think people drift around because they get a little bored and see something new and want to try it out. I know that was what it was for me and I will continue to do that because as someone else said, varity is the spice of life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 05:19 AM   #302  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiffy355View Post

Tiffy
That is true, but the difference (for me) is that if I pay $30 for a set, likely I really only want 1 or 2 stamps... I'm not a "whole set" stamper. But if I buy them separately, I can go across the spectrum getting what I want, knowing I will use them all. I am NOT a "set" user at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 05:22 AM   #303  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
LOL, it was the coordinated sets of images that really got me into SU! and stamping! I would have started this hobby as a young teenager if I'd known about SU! then, because I just couldn't afford what the craft stores were charging for a single stamp that required me to then find a background that looked good with it, plus purchasing a handful of different sentiments. Even after all that, I was pretty limited as to what I could do.
AMEN! My feelings exactly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 05:38 AM   #304  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahYView Post
I am always amazed at the criticism of Stampin Up. They are a company that many people love and use their products. They have an annual catalog with mini catalogs through out the year. They have many different styles of stamps (yes all wood). But I continually hear people complaining that SU must change. Why.

There are at least 10 different companies that advertise on this board and never have I seen a thread saying they need to change.

I don't mean to pick on anyone but should I complain the Bella's aren't wood mounted. Yes, I could mount them on wood but I would have to buy it separate. The acrylic companies should offer me the same stamps in rubber because I like rubber best. I love whipper snapper but they have moved to acrylic and I loved having the cute wood stamp with the image in full color sitting out in my craft room. They are changing but I'm not interested in the change.

Stampin Up is a completedly different company from the Flourishes, Unity, etc. They do not use demos to sell their products. You aren't comparing apples to apples.

To me there is so much offered to us now that we have the internet, everyone should be able to buy what they like and not try to change others.
I just wanted to say that this is a GREAT point! I agree totally...us rubbah lovers don't tend to complain about acrylic companies not offering rubber. Like other rubber lovers, I prefer the image I get from rubbber... I have very few acrylic sets because I don't get good enough images...but I don't ask CTMH to go back to rubber...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 10:11 AM   #305  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
I'd like to see SU release more funky sets, more boy/male sets, more animals, some sets for women/girlfriends (that are NOT flowers), and more sentiment sets that don't have a religious reference.

And I'd like fewer cartoon-type images in all subjects (or more sets that are not cartoony). For example, the animal sets SU does have tend to be childish (not all, but most).

I'm not dissing SU for what they have, I'd just like to see a broader selection. I think SU could get a little more in step with the current trends without sacrificing the things we like about their products.
I have been able to find more than enough stamps in the SU! catalog to cover my needs. Their classic sets and religious sentiments cover most of my needs, and they have a few trendy sets for fun. I find that for most cards that I need to make and send out, I turn to classic flower sets and religious sentiments. Occassionaly, I will use a trendy set for a birthday card. IF I see a stamp in another company tbat I like, I buy it. What can I say, I'm a happy stamper, too! Way more stamps available than I could ever use!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #306  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharpstamperView Post
Yes, but they're unmounted and used with acrylic blocks.... What about us who want the quality of wood mounted stamps?
I don't understand this remark - the quality of the stamp is the same, just the mount is different. Maybe the style isn't what you like, or the art isn't up to your expectations, but the actual rubber is not the problem. I have only run into maybe 1 or 2 (really cheap, like $1 bin cheap) sets of rubber stamps that don't work well. Otherwise I've never had an issue with the quality of a rubber stamp (unless you're talking 2nds, but I got those for free - and you can't beat free!).
Now, if you're concerned about the quality of the mount... that's different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #307  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by asuncionshijaView Post
I don't understand this remark - the quality of the stamp is the same, just the mount is different. Maybe the style isn't what you like, or the art isn't up to your expectations, but the actual rubber is not the problem. I have only run into maybe 1 or 2 (really cheap, like $1 bin cheap) sets of rubber stamps that don't work well. Otherwise I've never had an issue with the quality of a rubber stamp (unless you're talking 2nds, but I got those for free - and you can't beat free!).
I've had the displeasure of buying stamps outside of SU (and this was before I knew they existed) that were pricey and bad quality. For example, I got several stamps with the 12 days of Christmas theme. Within a year they were cracking and falling a part. And, I was storing them the same way as all my other stamps.

Different rubber stamp companies produce different qualities of rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #308  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by asuncionshijaView Post

I think that is EXACTLY what she did say.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #309  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahYView Post
I am always amazed at the criticism of Stampin Up. They are a company that many people love and use their products. They have an annual catalog with mini catalogs through out the year. They have many different styles of stamps (yes all wood). But I continually hear people complaining that SU must change. Why.

There are at least 10 different companies that advertise on this board and never have I seen a thread saying they need to change.

I don't mean to pick on anyone but should I complain the Bella's aren't wood mounted. Yes, I could mount them on wood but I would have to buy it separate. The acrylic companies should offer me the same stamps in rubber because I like rubber best. I love whipper snapper but they have moved to acrylic and I loved having the cute wood stamp with the image in full color sitting out in my craft room. They are changing but I'm not interested in the change.

Stampin Up is a completedly different company from the Flourishes, Unity, etc. They do not use demos to sell their products. You aren't comparing apples to apples.

To me there is so much offered to us now that we have the internet, everyone should be able to buy what they like and not try to change others.
Very well said! I am a demo and signed up because I love the products. Even if I decided not to be a demo anymore, it would not be because I don't care for the products/company anymore. Even though I am a demo, I still have a ton of non SU. I love Gina K, Cornish Heritage Farms, I brake for stamps, The Angel Company, Unity, and many others for stamps. I also love the paper from PTI. I honestly prefer rubber, whether it is mounted or not I don't care. But, it wouldn't be right of me to sit here and bash those companies that only make clear stamps or the customers who buy them. That is the great thing about all of this is that you have choices! Buy what you like.
When I was first introduced to SU, I thought that they were pretty pricey. But when I started shopping around, I realized how expensive it was to buy single stamps and I love having things coordinated. I also found that all cardstock is not equal. But, that being said, I have found that I really like PTI's cardstock. I have yet to try Gina K.s(sorry Gina...I will soon I promise;)). I guess what it boils down to is buy what you like and what fits your budget(tough right now). There is no need to continually knock a company and then wonder why people try to defend and clarify things. I know I am rambling and I am sorry, but like Sarah says, it only seems like SU is the one in the stone ages and needs to change. Seems to me they are doing fine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #310  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvalouView Post
I think that is EXACTLY what she did say.;)
Well, sort of. But we all know that 'wood-mounted' does NOT equal quality. I've bought plenty of stamps that were wood mounted at hobby lobby - the rubber is fine, but the foam peels off the wood and you have to check that the mount isn't warped. Like I said - the quality is in the rubber. I'm willing to concede that not all rubber is produced the same, but I have rarely ever run into 'bad' rubber - and never from a reputable merchant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #311  
Rubber Obsessor

For me, I have been switching all of my WM SU stamps to unmounted and am MUCH happier with them, not to mention that they do not take up as much room. I find that there is no difference in the quality of the image.

I think I would have to agree with asuncionshija, maybe the art isn't up to your expectation. I know that is true for me. When I go into stamp stores, I find it difficult to find something I absolutely love and have to have, because I am looking at the art of the stamp. I do not like what I call "country bunkin' "(rag dolls, teddy bears), Americana, or really simple designed type stamps. I am looking for contemporary, well designed stamps. For the most part, I can find what I am looking for with SU...but a lot still doesn't appeal to me.

Tiffy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #312  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to lezzels

Well we dont have that much available to us and what we do have is expensive..... I do have some clear UM stamps and usually takes 2-3 goes before I get a nice crisp clean image ... Im not a flowery person and I find plenty in a SU catty to keep me busy ... I love the feel of WM ... I also love the C/S as not much of that is available to me either ... LSS sell their colored C/S at AU$1 and up a sheet here but for AU$14 I can get 36 sheets of earth elements ... gotta be better value.. and most inks here are AU$12-15 SU's are AU$10 ... so in Aussie land it's gonna be SU for me ......I know you guys are gonna say the prices are high but ...I only earn average wage and in OZ thats $600 a week for me ... the clear US$1 stamps you girls get sell for AU$5 here (so you can compare) I am happy to be an SU-er...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #313  
Insane Embellisher

Are we really "bashing SU" if we're simply answering the OP's question of why we have drifted away from using SU? The OP specifically asked why it is that many individuals seem to have gone from using almost exclusively SU products to hardly using them at all. Many of us have given our own perfectly valid reasons such as design preference, mounting preferences, clear vs. red rubber, etc. Again, simply answering the OP's question. I'm certainly not trying to bash SU, just explaining why SU is no longer my first love. And I think we're all entitled to our own opinion, especially when it comes to something as subjective as art. I understand that some people love SU quite passionately, but that doesn't mean everyone has to - and if they don't, they shouldn't be chastised for it. JMHO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 02:17 PM   #314  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYstamperView Post
Very well said! I am a demo and signed up because I love the products. Even if I decided not to be a demo anymore, it would not be because I don't care for the products/company anymore. Even though I am a demo, I still have a ton of non SU. I love Gina K, Cornish Heritage Farms, I brake for stamps, The Angel Company, Unity, and many others for stamps. I also love the paper from PTI. I honestly prefer rubber, whether it is mounted or not I don't care. But, it wouldn't be right of me to sit here and bash those companies that only make clear stamps or the customers who buy them. That is the great thing about all of this is that you have choices! Buy what you like.
When I was first introduced to SU, I thought that they were pretty pricey. But when I started shopping around, I realized how expensive it was to buy single stamps and I love having things coordinated. I also found that all cardstock is not equal. But, that being said, I have found that I really like PTI's cardstock. I have yet to try Gina K.s(sorry Gina...I will soon I promise;)). I guess what it boils down to is buy what you like and what fits your budget(tough right now). There is no need to continually knock a company and then wonder why people try to defend and clarify things. I know I am rambling and I am sorry, but like Sarah says, it only seems like SU is the one in the stone ages and needs to change. Seems to me they are doing fine!

in a nut shell!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #315  
#1 Gas Bagger

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnl96View Post
Are we really "bashing SU" if we're simply answering the OP's question of why we have drifted away from using SU? The OP specifically asked why it is that many individuals seem to have gone from using almost exclusively SU products to hardly using them at all. Many of us have given our own perfectly valid reasons such as design preference, mounting preferences, clear vs. red rubber, etc. Again, simply answering the OP's question. I'm certainly not trying to bash SU, just explaining why SU is no longer my first love. And I think we're all entitled to our own opinion, especially when it comes to something as subjective as art. I understand that some people love SU quite passionately, but that doesn't mean everyone has to - and if they don't, they shouldn't be chastised for it. JMHO!
I agree 100% There is so many different designs out there that I just love. I don't just stay with SU products. I've tried a little bit of every thing. I just love to stamp! and create! And I agree every body has a right to there own opinion.

MY BLOG....kittyKatkorners

My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #316  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnl96View Post

i don't think of it so much as 'bashing'

there have been LOTS of replies stating that SU! should 'change'

i say don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #317  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
I've had the displeasure of buying stamps outside of SU (and this was before I knew they existed) that were pricey and bad quality. For example, I got several stamps with the 12 days of Christmas theme. Within a year they were cracking and falling a part. And, I was storing them the same way as all my other stamps.

Different rubber stamp companies produce different qualities of rubber.
Oh you are so right! All rubber is not equal just like with acrylics.

I love WhipperSnapper designs - they are so cute, but lousy for stamping. They are not deeply etched. I've hacked away all the centers just so I can stamp them.

As for SU keeping up with the times - well yes, sometimes they seem dates, but I don't want them to be like every other trendy stamp company out there. For me it's like clothes, I buy quality that lasts for years and won't be out of fashion tomorrow. Yes, I like some of the new trendy images, but I limit my purchases because I can only use them a couple of times because I have a limited number of people to whom I send cards. I want to be able to have images I can use over and over in different ways so that you don't notice I've been using that same ol' stamp for years.

the other day at my LSS I bought a little, teeny, tiny, istsy bitsty stamp (2 x 1/4" wood mounted with 5 words) it was $8!!! Now that is pricey - but stupid me bought it because I need some new Easter words. If this keeps up, I won't be buying like before!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #318  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to lezzels

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Oh you are so right! All rubber is not equal just like with acrylics.

I love WhipperSnapper designs - they are so cute, but lousy for stamping. They are not deeply etched. I've hacked away all the centers just so I can stamp them.

As for SU keeping up with the times - well yes, sometimes they seem dates, but I don't want them to be like every other trendy stamp company out there. For me it's like clothes, I buy quality that lasts for years and won't be out of fashion tomorrow. Yes, I like some of the new trendy images, but I limit my purchases because I can only use them a couple of times because I have a limited number of people to whom I send cards. I want to be able to have images I can use over and over in different ways so that you don't notice I've been using that same ol' stamp for years.

the other day at my LSS I bought a little, teeny, tiny, istsy bitsty stamp (2 x 1/4" wood mounted with 5 words) it was $8!!! Now that is pricey - but stupid me bought it because I need some new Easter words. If this keeps up, I won't be buying like before!
yeah I hear you there ... same prob .. average size house mouse AU$18.00 for another $10-$15 I can buy a whole co-ordinating set.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #319  
#1 Gas Bagger

Quote:

Originally Posted by lezzelsView Post
yeah I hear you there ... same prob .. average size house mouse AU$18.00 for another $10-$15 I can buy a whole co-ordinating set.......

You have a good point there Lezzles.

MY BLOG....kittyKatkorners

My Gallery

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #320  
Crimping Master

But House Mouse stamps are so darn cute!!!

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes