Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO matter what I do.. I never have enough space!

I feel like the balancing act at a circus. I can't seem to make good use of my space. I need clips to hang things from the ceiling so I can reach for it easily when I need it. Its just a mess. I really want to use the bonus room but DH won't let me, he likes having me near him in his office.. its a love thing. I appreciate that but I am drowning in a very unorganized mess.. HELP! I need some suggestions. I should post a pic and put it on my gallery to help you see my issues.. err uhh.. my MESS!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Linda, first thing I would do is go through your "stuff". I just did that and set aside a TON of items to sell/trade/donate that I had to have but just don't use. That will probably help out a ton. Make sure you take other things out of packages, that will save space. Try to get some shelving units or boxes to contain your things- that will help get you organized. The more you organize the more space you'll uncover.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleska901View Post
I feel like the balancing act at a circus. I can't seem to make good use of my space. I need clips to hang things from the ceiling so I can reach for it easily when I need it. Its just a mess. I really want to use the bonus room but DH won't let me, he likes having me near him in his office.. its a love thing. I appreciate that but I am drowning in a very unorganized mess.. HELP! I need some suggestions. I should post a pic and put it on my gallery to help you see my issues.. err uhh.. my MESS!
I am soooo with you. I am currently re-organizing (was forced to pack everything up to replace floors!) One of the things I am doing is finding ways to get things our of drawers and containers and up on the walls where I can see them and use them easily. I am putting up the metal rails from Ikea to hold my punches, and hanging baskets off them for my ribbons and embellishments.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

What I ended up doing in my small space is putting some of the stuff that I don't use all the time somewhere else. For ex I have my sb stuff by theme. Some of my themes I store in a closet near but not in my space. I also have my large Xyron and the decorative scissors and hand held punches I don't use that often in the closet. See if you can box up some of the stuff that you want to keep but don't always use and put it somewhere else - but label the outside of the box or you might not remember whats in there (ask me how I know LOL). Organizing is the key to me - but I'm really bad about putting stuff back after I take it out and decide not to use it on a project... Good luck! Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

My pics are on my gallery. I just had to show you my issue. The biggest problem is that I am surrounded by windows!!! It s*cks! I have very little wall space. The windows have blinds and I keep my paper away from there and covered for the most part. I am still in this mess and can't get out. I am going to go through things but I know my inventory well and I hate to say it.. I need it all LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I am currently re reorganising my craftroom and my husband has had the fab idea of swapping rooms, we'll have the small room which will only fit our bed and a bedside table (has a built in cupboard sutiable for a wardrobe) in it which I currently use as my craft room as our bedroom and my craft stuff along with the sofa bed will move into the big room ! We will be able to then get a guest bed in the guest room and have room for my craft stuff which currently dominates the guest room!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

My craft room has windows on 2 walls and the doors are French doors with glass, so I feel your pain.

Use whatever floor space you have with cabinetry that really, really works to organize your stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

My pics are on my gallery. I just had to show you my issue. The biggest problem is that I am surrounded by windows!!! It s*cks! I have very little wall space. The windows have blinds and I keep my paper away from there and covered for the most part. I am still in this mess and can't get out. I am going to go through things but I know my inventory well and I hate to say it.. I need it all LOL
I am similar - I only get 1/2 of the room - the other half is our home office for DH's Business. So, I have my stamping space in front of the windows like you do, then I am putting the metal rails on the wall from the window to the corner, above where I have my drawers holding stamps. I figure I have to use every inch of space if I'm gonna have a chance! Part of the problem I have had for years is it was just such a mess and so jumbled, I didn't even know where to start.... so nothing got organized! So it was really a blessing in disguise to have to pack everything up, and now I am making myself organize as I unpack each box. Do you have a closet door in the room by any chance? I am thinking of getting an organizer that hangs over the door (I saw one at bed bath and beyond) so I can use that space for ribbons and embellishments too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

IKEA has a wonderful cart like the Elfa carts (but a lot less expensive). I love mine. I got the rollers on them, because then i can roll them out when I'm crafting, and then put them back in the closet when I'm done. They hold so much stuff! And, they have butcher type tops so you can have more space for crafting if you want. I actually keep my big shot on one of the butcher tops so it is permanently ready to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I'd put storage under your tables. I like the JetMax white cubes because you can't see through them like the plastic drawers. Then I'd get rails for the walls in the corner. Ikea has nice ones called Bygel that are cheap ($2.99) and have baskets that you can hang underneath them ($1.99) I'd also get a table top organizer that spins like the Making Memories one, or maybe a Pampered Chef. That will keep all your tools right at hand and they won't get lost on your desk.

I've also seen some pretty nice ink pad holders that will either mount on the wall or sit right on your desktop.

I keep cardstock and scraps in hanging file folders. They have little square boxes that allow you to hang letter size folders in them. I got mine at The Container Store.

Good luck! Start with one thing like cardstock, ink, tools, etc. Once you have that done, move on to the next. Pretty soon, your whole room will be neat as a pin. And once everything has a place, it's SO much easier to put it all back when you are done.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi there,

If you are able, save up and buy a desk similar to this one found here... http://scrapbooking.arnolds.net.au/c...pd74hfd2ige1p1

You just would not believe how much stuff can be secreted away into those drawers. I have the desk. I also have the small cupboard which fits under the desk. I don't put mine under...I leave it sitting beside the desk. I also have a couple of the cubes...one on the desk proper and one on the small cupboard. The only time I usually get up now is to go to the Cuttlebug.

I was so amazed at how much tidier and so much more compact my stamping area was. I have labelled all the drawers with clear tape with black printing so I will not get lost opening up every drawer to find one thing....usually the last if luck has anything to do with it! I know they are made in Canada...but I am sure the US has something similar. I totally recommend saving up to buy some of this stuff. I am currently saving for some more pieces.

I like them so much I onsell them here in Australia....but truly ...limited space and tidiness issues...these are something to seriously consider!

Cheers,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Have you looked at getting a Scrapbox. They hold so much stuff it is unbelievable. Am I correct that you share the room with your dh? What is the size of the room?

I see two positives.......dh wants you near him (I see a good relationship there).
Also I would kill for those windows. They bring in a lot of great light.

I think you need to go up and utilize the rest of your wall space that you do have. Your room isn't that bad really.

Last edited by Nicole's Mom; 03-16-2009 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

http://www.theoriginalscrapbox.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Got the same problem cause we live in a condo and it is so small.
I have ALL my stuff in the bedroom and it looks like a stoarge place in there
Hubby says he does not mind but it gets to me at times. I want a room for my hobby but that is not happening any time soon. I envy anybody with a studio.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicole's MomView Post
Oh WOW that is fantastic....I guess I will be saving up my pennies for one of those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

What about a small bookshelf to put in the corner area on top of your desk? It could hold stamp sets, embellishments (in jars or small containers), inkpads, small tools?
I'd also recommend going with vertical paper storage instead of the wire unit. You've got a lot of unused space in each section. The Cropper Hopper (or SU!) paper holders would seriously condense the space needed for your paper. The holders could sit on a small bookshelf (either on the table in the corner) or next to your table where the wire unit is currently sitting.

Another option for that corner wall space (if it would fit) would be a MM embellishment shelf. It has shelves with less depth but can hold a lot of small stuff and has a ribbon spool rod.

A rotating tool caddy might help condense your smaller things yet keep them handy.

And of course, like a few others have suggested, under-table storage could be useful too.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Definitely look into book cases and/or shelving. They don't have to be wide, but carry them up to the ceiling if you can. Iris carts that fit under tables and desks are great, too, as long as you leave room for your legs, lol! I keep two rolling bins under my stamping table that holds my main cardstock. The rest of my cardstock is kept in SU's plastic paper holders on nearby shelves.

The other method might be controversial, lol. Start encroaching on your husband's space. Seriously! Keep it subtle...don't want him catching on, after all. But start needing "just a corner" of his desk to hold your pens, maybe. Or store a box under his desk. Save your really smelly techniques for when he's nearby. It may just happen that the bonus room starts looking better and better to him...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 04:34 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Definitely look into book cases and/or shelving. They don't have to be wide, but carry them up to the ceiling if you can. Iris carts that fit under tables and desks are great, too, as long as you leave room for your legs, lol! I keep two rolling bins under my stamping table that holds my main cardstock. The rest of my cardstock is kept in SU's plastic paper holders on nearby shelves.

The other method might be controversial, lol. Start encroaching on your husband's space. Seriously! Keep it subtle...don't want him catching on, after all. But start needing "just a corner" of his desk to hold your pens, maybe. Or store a box under his desk. Save your really smelly techniques for when he's nearby. It may just happen that the bonus room starts looking better and better to him...

Muwahahahahhaaa [insert Dr. Evil laugh] I will have to see what I can work on with the smelly/noisy and annoying techniques. I am flattered he wants me there, but I do need and would love a more organized craft area.

Thanks for all the tips. I did go through a lot of my stuff last night and I started to utilize a closet that is just in the hall near my area. The top shelf has free space to hold some stuff I don't use often or extra stock of whatevers.

The longer table area is where my kids work with me. I have to keep that free from MY stuff so they know what they can /can't touch. I am very very careful about that. LOL

I might invest in the bookshelf thing for the wall to the left of the desk. Its not a fat wall but it might work.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 05:09 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I just sent my husband the link for the minibox craft storage thing... a mere $795 and he says "ORder it .. just because" LOL I think he missed the price tag LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 05:13 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

I only have a closet under the stairs to store all my stuff, the only thing that I don't put in there is my paper which I store in my dining room in the buttet. I purchased a hanging shoe orgainizer from Target and hung it on the inside of the closet door and inside are I have organized all my embellies by catergory. It has helped me a lot. It is easier for me to look for things and also saves me a lot of space. There is a pic in my gallery.

The Paper Gourmet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 05:25 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL on the minicraftbox price!

I think you have loads of horizontal storage already - is that working for you? It doesn't work for me.

I was wondering if the kids table could go behind you?

I was also wondering about all the space under their table. Things you don't need all the time but need occasional access too such as you don't need all your cardstock/paper supplies at one time.

Also, do you use 12x12 or 8.5x11 - if you use normal sheet size rather than 12x12 you could get normally filing cabinets for storage (keeps the light off too) for 12x12 or normal I am in love with this filing table http://www.scrapncube.com/.docs/pg/10111 and how they file!

You also need to decide how to store your stamps - mounted/unmounted, vertical/horizontal and then how to store them within that system. Inks to me need to be close at hand (by inks I mean pens/pencils/ink pads/chalks) they are my creative muse more than stamps!

Maybe go with a cheaper solution first. I was going unmounted AND to use CD cases and couldn't get my head around how that would work for me - I bought a Jetmax cube (on sale) - it doesn't really work for me (too small, too many cases with too few stamps in them) for that so I have realized I am vertical person and will be using filing cases and either ezmount boards or laminated sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 06:26 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

The stamps are in a filing system that is on the 4x6 acrylics/plexiglass in a rubbermaid tote/shoebox and I have them all stamped in a book and numbered. Got this idea from another SCS member and it works well for me but not for those that do the wood mount of course. I am very happy with the unmounted and my storage solution for that is solved. My husband is still nagging me.. yes NAGGING me to get the minibox. He must be drinking green beer at work today. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

The stamps are in a filing system that is on the 4x6 acrylics/plexiglass in a rubbermaid tote/shoebox and I have them all stamped in a book and numbered. Got this idea from another SCS member and it works well for me but not for those that do the wood mount of course. I am very happy with the unmounted and my storage solution for that is solved. My husband is still nagging me.. yes NAGGING me to get the minibox. He must be drinking green beer at work today. LOL
Oh how I wish my hubby would nag like that!! LOL!~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I just sent my husband the link for the minibox craft storage thing... a mere $795 and he says "ORder it .. just because" LOL I think he missed the price tag LOL
Oh my...now there's a real gent!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

I am scared to do it. It looks nice but I have my fear of spending the money and not being sure I did the right thing. I hate buying on impulse. I have to think about it and do my HW.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 12:30 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I am scared to do it. It looks nice but I have my fear of spending the money and not being sure I did the right thing. I hate buying on impulse. I have to think about it and do my HW.
I agree its not a $30 purchase that you would be happy to give to the kids if it didn't work out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

If your room is big enough you might want to set up a work island in the centre of the room. Back to back dressers work really well as they give alot of storage. The Malm dresser at Ikea sells for $80 and come sin a red-brown colour that might go well with your existing desk.
Reply With Quote Likes