Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Newbies...Don't Quit....

I myself am pretty new to SCS--have only started uploading projects this year. And, like many newbies, I felt so intimidated the first month.
I felt that there was a clique or certain people only leave comments on others that they know or like.

I have received many emails/pms about this too---if you are a newbie--welcome!!! Join in on the fun challenges and just keep posting. Eventually you get to know people here (and even make some wonderful friends!)

If you want to, you can PM me and I would be happy to leave some comments for you--!!!

Just stick with it awhile and you too will get addicted!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:14 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Location: Beautiful BC with my soulmate and he is a stamper too!!

I agree totally with you you Carolyn, I was and sometimes still am intimidated about uploading in the gallery.

If you are new or just haven't posted in the gallery yet please share your work with us, I love leaving comments!
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 05-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I would love having honest comments on my work...
Old 05-25-2007, 09:30 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Very good advice Cammie and so sweet of you to be so encouraging to the newbies here!!

I love finding a new gallery that I have never seen before
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Old 05-25-2007, 09:35 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

We've all been the "new kid on the block" around here.

Jump in. Upload. Have fun
Old 05-25-2007, 09:42 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Yep. I remember when I was new. One thing I have learned about uploading is that we should go into it with that attitude that we are truly doing it to share with others. When I used to worry about who was commenting or viewing my cards it would drive me batty. Now that I really don't care I am able to enjoy the gallery a lot more. Challenges are a great way to get more "well known" on scs if that even really matters to you

Nobody should feel intimidated. Everyone here is special and has a talent to offer one another.

Robyn

My Gallery
Old 05-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Red face If I may offer a suggestion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShivaniView Post
I would love having honest comments on my work...
If you really would like such, you might include something like the following in the description box beneath your image:

"Gentle/constructive comments on how to improve my creations, are welcomed and appreciated!"

I think sometimes uploading artists assume that they will receive not only complimentary comments, but, constructive ones as well, but, in reality, many gallery visitors are quite hesitant to leave "honest" or constructive comments on others' creations in the gallery, because they are afraid it might hurt the artist's feelings to offer anything other than strictly complimentary?

So, a note in your description box is very helpful to viewers, in that regard!

I know I would feel "awkward" doing so, unless I have a clear indication that the artist welcomes or is receptive to that.

Does that make sense?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Great post, Cammie!

One of the things I like to do is check out the new gallery uploads and post comments on the many beautiful, but overlooked, cards. I actually look for projects w/ 3 or less comments hoping to spread the "love" around a little and provide some encouragement.

Keep stamping, keep uploading and keep commenting!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:20 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks to all of you for being so welcoming to us newbies!!!! I have crafted for years but cardmaking is so new to me and when I look at all the beautiful cards you all make I'm in awe. I appreciate constructive comments, it's how I learn. Right now I feel I'm in the "dark period" of my cardmaking. I basically only use prim or dark colors with a lot of distressing. I love that look but I need to venture out into some pastels and use some white CS as my card base. Today I'm learning to watercolor using my dove blender pen and watercolor crayons...I have a lot to learn! lol Thanks again, you are some of the nicest people here and I love being a part of it all.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:47 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I 2nd the comment on what a great thread.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Cammie,

Thanks for a great thread! I've been feeling pretty inadequate about my stamping and the encouragement really helps. Reminds me why I started stamping in the first place...

Thanks!

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Old 05-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I remember when I was new, I would see the same people posting all over the place and these awesome galleries of hundreds of creations and I felt a little lost. But just join in and in no time, you will be right up there with the best of them!

Old 05-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #13  
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
If you really would like such, you might include something like the following in the description box beneath your image:

"Gentle/constructive comments on how to improve my creations, are welcomed and appreciated!"

I think sometimes uploading artists assume that they will receive not only complimentary comments, but, constructive ones as well, but, in reality, many gallery visitors are quite hesitant to leave "honest" or constructive comments on others' creations in the gallery, because they are afraid it might hurt the artist's feelings to offer anything other than strictly complimentary?

So, a note in your description box is very helpful to viewers, in that regard!

I know I would feel "awkward" doing so, unless I have a clear indication that the artist welcomes or is receptive to that.

Does that make sense?
As always great idea JulieHRR. I get so excited when I get an email to let me know I've gotten a comment. I head right over to see what was left. ANd sometimes I'm disappointed when it just says "NIce work," or "Cute card" I'm the kind of person that wants to know what you think is cute so now I'll leave that little blurb and see what happens.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:27 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamperView Post
As always great idea JulieHRR. I get so excited when I get an email to let me know I've gotten a comment. I head right over to see what was left. ANd sometimes I'm disappointed when it just says "NIce work," or "Cute card" I'm the kind of person that wants to know what you think is cute so now I'll leave that little blurb and see what happens.
*chuckle*

My hubby and I have this little exchange whenever I get my hair done at the salon:

Julie--"What do you think?"

Dave --"This is a trick question, isn't it?"
Old 05-25-2007, 02:21 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamperView Post
I do that. I leave the short general comments. I have an explianation though.

1. I am always holding a baby or two when I look in the gallery, I sorta poke through while they are nursing or generally sitting on me. So I don't have too much time to write a lot. (Picture holding them AWAY from the keyboard while still trying to type.

2. but the main thing is that I try to always leave the first comment I have. so it usually is "Oh cute!" that's what I usually THINK about the cards I comment on. I'm not an expert who knows that your innovative design is what makes the card particularly eye catching, I just know I think it's cute. Sometimes I know it's the colors and I'll say, "Cute, great colors" or coloring, I'm a freak for great coloring so "Cute, your coloring is perfect"

Oh and no honest input for my cards please! haha, I'm kidding.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Talking Me too!

What a great thread! And what a cooincidence that I came across it!!! I was just thinking about how I'd like to do something to get more comments...so I came up with the following!!!

I thought it would be fun to give away a Mini Alphabet Stamp Set, and to get your comments on my scrapbook pages!

Just post a comment on any of my scrapbook pages in my gallery, and I will pick a random winner from those of you who post...and the more comments you place, the better your chances to win!
If you are chosen I will PM you for your address.

I will pick a winner on Sunday night, May 27 (in 2 days)!

Have fun and I hope that you win!
Kristen
Old 05-25-2007, 02:36 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristenhillView Post
What a great thread! And what a cooincidence that I came across it!!! I was just thinking about how I'd like to do something to get more comments...so I came up with the following!!!

I thought it would be fun to give away a Mini Alphabet Stamp Set, and to get your comments on my scrapbook pages!

Just post a comment on any of my scrapbook pages in my gallery, and I will pick a random winner from those of you who post...and the more comments you place, the better your chances to win!
If you are chosen I will PM you for your address.

I will pick a winner on Sunday night, May 27 (in 2 days)!

Have fun and I hope that you win!
Kristen
Kristen...I am happy to check out your work...you dont even have to enter me into the drawing. I truly love seeing what everyone's creative minds come up with--and it is easy to leave a comment while I am there
Old 05-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Aw, thanks Carolyn! I will still give you the prize though if you happen to be the one that I draw!
Old 05-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Carolyn, I am not surprised that you started this thread. You are such a sweetie! I can say that I am still learning as I create cards. I like to go back and look at what I "thought" was great and then say wow... I have come a long way. I still have a LONG way to go as is... But its nice to look back. So don't hesitate anyone to upload. If I can put my stuff on here.... heck... Then so can you.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #20  
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post

1. I am always holding a baby or two when I look in the gallery, I sorta poke through while they are nursing or generally sitting on me. So I don't have too much time to write a lot. (Picture holding them AWAY from the keyboard while still trying to type.

2. but the main thing is that I try to always leave the first comment I have. so it usually is "Oh cute!" that's what I usually THINK about the cards I comment on. I'm not an expert who knows that your innovative design is what makes the card particularly eye catching, I just know I think it's cute. Sometimes I know it's the colors and I'll say, "Cute, great colors" or coloring, I'm a freak for great coloring so "Cute, your coloring is perfect"

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I've done it too because that's what I think when I see it, "wow, Love it" But for me I want to know more so I should ask for more. I never intended for somebody to get hurt feeling from what I said, so sorry if it happened.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

First, thank you so much for this thread!! What a wonderful idea and great encouragement for the more timid newbies.

I've only myself been a member for a month. Fortunately for me, I'm just a tad on the outgoing side. I will admit however to having an enormous feeling of inferiority in terms of what I was creating a month ago. My technique toolbox was frighteningly emptier than I had initially thought. My work paled in comparison. I was sitting in my room here one night, fretting about not being able to figure out how to match multiple patterned papers together, or how do I fasten ribbon properly, or when to add more embellishments or when enough is just enough. I had a gazillion thoughts swimming around in my head all at once.

So . . . I jumped on the challenge wagon!! Oh what fun that has been! Really!! And swaps!! They're a great way to learn a new technique. I'm clearly not at the same creative level as the 'old timers', and I say that in the nicest possible way, but I've also concluded that all of the wonderful creators of beautiful art here, also had humble beginnings.

So . . . on that note . . . have faith . . . be determined . . . never give up . . . spend hours upon hours browsing the galleries. You will find no greater creative inspiration anywhere!! Make something. If you think it sucks, then make it again and as many times as it takes until you are happy, because by the time you are happy you will have learned many valuable things.

Julie, you make an excellent point in requesting 'constructive' feedback. Duly noted, and it is something I will definately adopt. As much as I like to think I've created something truly brilliant, it's not so brilliant the next day when I look at it again LOL I would encourage this kind of feedback. It's just another way to learn and another way to look at something that I've been looking at for so long that I can no longer see what my project can truly be.

OK, I'll step down off my soapbox now LOL

I no more inspiring words. I'm all inspired out. I must go create something brilliant now! *teehee*
Old 05-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm glad I am not the only one who thinks she sucks at this stamping thing! I don't upload hardly anything I do, mostly cause I'm too lazy to take pictures, but also because I'm still getting better at what I do.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinshappyView Post
Carolyn, I am not surprised that you started this thread. You are such a sweetie! I can say that I am still learning as I create cards. I like to go back and look at what I "thought" was great and then say wow... I have come a long way. I still have a LONG way to go as is... But its nice to look back. So don't hesitate anyone to upload. If I can put my stuff on here.... heck... Then so can you.
Get outta here---but thanks
You are one of the dear SCS friends I was referring to---(((hugs)))
Old 05-25-2007, 03:27 PM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Me too.....lol!!!!
Keep lying---I am happier that way..........Kidding too (I think!!!)
Old 05-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Great thread! Thanks. I am/was feeling this way as well. I will keep trying to improve and gain confidence. Thanks all, for the encouragement (and allowing us to CASE too!) PS: The newbie cards appeal to my taste in artistry as I am a simplist.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Old 05-25-2007, 05:20 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

What a great thread...........I've just started to upload daily for the last couple months. I was too timid before. I love feedback. Honest and true. I have to forward you though be careful what you wish for. The first time someone said they didn't like my card I was mortified. Then I stepped back and said "well you wanted the truth and you didn't like it either." The first time is always the hardest and then it gets easier.
I find that doing the weekly challenges is a way for you to expand your talents. You come up with things trying to complete the challenge. I really enjoy doing these. By the way this past weekend was my first VSN and I must say I had a ball. I really enjoyed the 45 minute deadline and so many ideas in one night. You ladies rock!
Enjoy your weekend.
I have company coming, and tomorrow is my b'day.
Kelley
Old 05-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Carolyn -- great thread! When I first joined, this place was a bit overwhelming. There's just so much going on, so much to see, so much to learn, so much to DO! I went into sensory overload, and for a very brief time I felt like I would never be comfortable here; there was just too much pressure to be an amazing stamper. BUT, thank goodness I came to my senses and remembered that stamping is a hobby that I really enjoy and SCS is a treasure trove of ideas and inspiration that I love. As with anything else I've ever enjoyed doing, I stuck with it and have been rewarded and enriched. I may never hope to be a Dirty Girl, but I'll sure have fun trying! And the same should go for all newbies -- just relax and enjoy the journey.

Wenchie -- well said!

Julie -- Excellent point regarding constructive criticism. I never leave it unless I know it is welcome.

And, to those of you who only want positive comments -- me too! (just kidding?) Here's a tip on getting more of it: just post in your description that you really don't like the card yourself. Works like a charm every time!
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Old 05-25-2007, 05:56 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Another great encouraging thread! If you so-called newcomers only knew that lots of us still consider ourselves that too...there may be 600 posts to my name, but that it because I post a lot of comments, not because I have been here a long time, or feel really comfortable. Browsing the gallery has been a huge training ground for me and I am so terribly addicted to seeing what is new every day or two.

Keep trying new things, like others have said, doing a challenge gives youu new ideas. Techniques, too, can be a way of stretching and learning.

So glad to "meet" many of you tonight!
Old 05-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by greengem32View Post
What a great thread...........I've just started to upload daily for the last couple months. I was too timid before. I love feedback. Honest and true. I have to forward you though be careful what you wish for. The first time someone said they didn't like my card I was mortified. Then I stepped back and said "well you wanted the truth and you didn't like it either." The first time is always the hardest and then it gets easier.
I find that doing the weekly challenges is a way for you to expand your talents. You come up with things trying to complete the challenge. I really enjoy doing these. By the way this past weekend was my first VSN and I must say I had a ball. I really enjoyed the 45 minute deadline and so many ideas in one night. You ladies rock!
Enjoy your weekend.
I have company coming, and tomorrow is my b'day.
Kelley
First, Kelley, I must say:

And, yes, I agree: 'Tis indeed always wise to be careful what you wish for! *chuckle* . . . Sometimes we *think* we want to hear honesty, and then when we do, well, it's not what we thought it would be . . .

I learned that a while back when I would ask my hubby what he thought of my new hairdo . . .

Now, I brace m'self, before asking. And, sometimes, I just don't ask . . .
Old 05-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #30  

This is a great thread. The people on this site are amazing. I was introduced to this site in November of last year and have never looked back. I began uploading just after the first of this year. I was so nervous the first couple of times, but there is no reason to be because everyone is so encouraging. We are all here for the same reasons...to learn, to be challenged, to be inspired, to feel a part of something special, to make friends who have the same things in common with you, etc....I couldn't imagine quitting. I get excited everyday knowing that I am becoming a better artist and there are people here to cheer me on!!!

Thanks, Carolyn!!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 06:11 PM   #31  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

Cammie what a great thread! As Jeanne said, we've all been the new kid on the block. I lurked on this site for months before I did my first upload. I stumbled into the challenges one day, there was a group chatting away waiting for the challenge to be posted. I watched this group for a few weeks and then one day just jumped in. I have made some great friends here on SCS because of my *jumping* in. I guess what I'm trying to say, is jump in, have fun, create and share!
Old 05-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Would also like to say great thread. I've been a member for a few years and only lurked and cased, lurked and cased. Decided at some point I might want to upload a few cards so I needed to start making comments before I did. After all, one can't expect someone to comment if they have never made comments right!! So I started commenting. Most of my comments are the short comments mainly because there are so many cards and it would take forever to do much more. Within the last month I finally got brave and put a few cards out there and even a good job, cute, etc. etc. is amazing for me!!!Don't know what I would do without this site!!! Well there are those trips to Europe I could have taken with the money I saved making my own Christmas cards
Old 05-25-2007, 06:24 PM   #33  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

LOL! Totally keep lying to me too!!!

I've been watching for a year or so and didn't do my first upload until last fall, but then my gallery is still small too. I have 2 toddlers one on the way and my Big Kid is overseas until next month, so I have to really *try* and stamp when I'm inspired. I can't make my cards perfect right now 'cause I don't have the time between the sippy cups and diapers...but some day. Until then, keep lying!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:38 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, and to all those creators of great cards (and other projects), we thank you for letting us case!
Old 05-26-2007, 01:14 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Thanx a ton Cammie.....they were reallly nice comments...boosted my morale..ANd Julie surely i'll put in those lines...to get an truly honest comments...Coz I really want to improve my work....
Old 05-26-2007, 04:44 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow! What a great thread! I haven't been able to join in the fun lately, however I am getting myself ready for the next round. I am very new to this site (joined in March) and extrememly new to stamping (held my first stamp last December) and I can honestly say that I am sometimes overwhelmed with the amount of information I find here. BUT...I have also met some awesome people. I have found that when I join in the challenges, I get the most comments. However, it's not about the comments for me...I think I have seen the difference in my cards since I first started....maybe not! LOL

Anyway...I love this site, I love looking at other people's creations (and trying to case them), I love finding out all sorts of information about the stamping world and I love reading other people's comments because their personality shines through whether they like it or not!

::GROUP HUG:: heehee
Old 05-26-2007, 04:53 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Great thread! I still have not leaped into the up loading because you all have such great talents! And I am worried(I do it so well per friends and family) that my cards will not hold up! But I think I am now ready to take the leap! Thanks for the push! Jess
Old 05-27-2007, 05:52 PM   #38  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
We've all been the "new kid on the block" around here.

Jump in. Upload. Have fun
Absolutely true! The more you participate, the more you enjoy! That applies to the galleries as well.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #39  
Mad Swapper

What a nice thread!
I was going to add - with regard to comments - I TOTALLY understand not leaving a long comment -- I too am often nursing or holding a kid or two while I browse.

But if/when I have the time, I really try to think about WHY I really like the card - what made me click on the thumbnail for a closer look - and I've found that it has really helped me with my own stamping b/c I start to see a pattern in what it is that I like!

My gallery
My blog!

Old 05-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

So glad to encourage newbies -- I certainly remember being new. I know that I often try really hard to comment on chellenge cards that don't have as many comments as some of our more popular card makers not that I don't leave comments on their beautiful cards as well, I just figure if I'm going to comment I'd like to do so for someone who might be newer and enjoy/benefit from a nice word about their work!