Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Newbie help... (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/newbie-help-186002/)

ilovemyjo2 09-24-2006 03:22 PM

Newbie help...

So I have just recently started stamping, I have about 7 stamp sets already, clear, white, and Black embossing powders, 4 classic stamp pads and a versamark pad, the regal colors craft stamp spots. I am have been scrapbooking for about 3 years and have just about every tool from Creative Memories punches and stuff like that....my question is....what stamping tools should I REALLY have?? One thing that is on my list is an eyelet setter (I don't do that in my scrapbooks), but what else? Should I really get a scorer?? I have just be folding and they don't look bad that way....but is there anything else???

Thanks for the help in advance!!!

Mellissa

jtax 09-24-2006 03:26 PM

As far as an eyelet setter - get the Crop-A-Dile! It is an awesome tool that punches 2 sizes of holes and will set your eyelets effortlessly and quietly! You will love it (especially if you use your 40% off coupon from Michaels or Joanns!)

jdmeeks 09-24-2006 03:32 PM

I'd recommend 2 sizes of scallop, oval, square punches. Those are really must-have items! I also use my aqua painter daily!

Ellibelle 09-24-2006 03:32 PM

I really like having the SU crafter's tool kit. I love the paper piercing template, it also includes the hammer and eyelet setter. I also love the word window punch. Not sure if you have one already, but it really makes a great card. You might want to get the 1/16th punch (if you don't already have it) for brads. I don't think you need a bone folder. The color spritzer tool looks awesome too, I don't have it, but I really love the look and it is on my list of things to get.
:)

inkerzaway 09-24-2006 03:38 PM

I have recently acquired a bone folder and I like it but for many years I have been quite satisfied using a Pampered Chef pan scraper (or an old thick credit card!) to give a nice crisp crease on the cardstock I have folded. Sometimes I will use the Fiskars Personal cutter with the scoring blade but I often don't trust it (or is it me?) to be straight so I figure what the heck, when I fold them edge to edge and score it nicely, they look just fine. I do know of people who are purchasing the Skor It tool but honestly, just to score cardstock there is no way I would ever consider paying that much...just think of all the stamps and cardstock I could get for that price! I'm sure they are wonderful but hey, I think they are in the neighborhood of $50 or so. Yikes! Jan (cheap scrooge, trust me!)

guatelicia 09-24-2006 03:39 PM

I would get the Stampin' Mist and the Stampin' Scrub. I'm assuming that you have the embossing gun, since you have the powders. I would also start getting the markers and some white grosgrain ribbon that you can dye.

diane617 09-24-2006 04:34 PM

Hey ilovemyjo2 are you going to CBC Gulfport? We were there 30 years ago and my first was born at Keesler. She just had my first Granddaughter. Of course there's been a hurricane since then.

As for what you might need, I like my tool kit that does eyelet setting and hole punching anywhere on the paper. It has a paper piercer and needles, 3 sizes of punches. I used my 40% coupon.

Good luck and thanks for all your family does for our country.

amers4 09-24-2006 06:07 PM

Stamp-a-ma-jig- helps with getting those alphabets for page titles to line up (as well as when you want the frog to be coming out of the pocket and such things)

You said you have the embossing powders, but do you have the heat tool? Works WAY better than a hair dryer. ;)

IMO, brads are way easier than eyelets. And there's no noisy tool needed. (Although there are times when you just have to hammer something, ya know? *grin*)

Ribbon- while not really a tool, it does make for awesome cards and SB pages.

HTH!

Motherof6 09-24-2006 06:07 PM

I am a tool junkie! The Scrub & Mist is a very nice thing to have. I also love my SU! tool kit, HodgePodge Hardware and I cannot forget my Signo White Gel pen.

I use my scorer blade on my cutting board for some 3D things. For me it is a convenience more than a necessity.

ilovemyjo2 09-24-2006 06:20 PM

Thanks everyone! I do have a heat gun...that was one of the first things I got! I think I have put an eyelet tool set at the top, along with the cleaning pad and spray. I will probably have some more questions but for now I can't think of anything else!

ilovemyjo2 09-24-2006 06:25 PM

Quote:

Hey ilovemyjo2 are you going to CBC Gulfport? We were there 30 years ago and my first was born at Keesler. She just had my first Granddaughter. Of course there's been a hurricane since then.
Yes we actually are. Hubby is deployed right now, so my son and I are living with my parents until housing calls us and tells us they have a house for us. Our stuff is sitting in storage until we get a house. Hubby is with NMCB 1! He is a Journalist (used to be JO they switched the name of the rate and it is now MC). Thanks for asking! :)