Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm thankful SCS puts this on the pics for us because I have a Mac computer and in my Photo software I haven't been able to figure out how to add my own watermark so I don't have one. I'd be happy to do it but so far I haven't figured it out. There's no option for "watermark" in my editing features. I think I might be able to do it by adding text in a different color and changing the opacity but I haven't really tried that yet. If someone here knows about the inner workings of iphoto could you pm me? Thanks!

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

I am totally astounded by this. Once a company sells you a tool they have no right to be so overbearing about it. I am sure glad Tombow does not make me list them when I color with their markers or that the paper companies don't make you list the brand of paper you used on a card made with designer paper. Ribbon and punches and all sorts of things should be no different than stamps as they, too, are forms of artwork. I find it rather disgusting that SU is going deeper into controlling customers and demos than they already have done previously. Do they understand how this provokes customers in a way that only hurts them?
Old 04-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #43  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
I am totally astounded by this. Once a company sells you a tool they have no right to be so overbearing about it. I am sure glad Tombow does not make me list them when I color with their markers or that the paper companies don't make you list the brand of paper you used on a card made with designer paper. Ribbon and punches and all sorts of things should be no different than stamps as they, too, are forms of artwork. I find it rather disgusting that SU is going deeper into controlling customers and demos than they already have done previously. Do they understand how this provokes customers in a way that only hurts them?
They certainly do have a right to enforce their copyright.

I'm sorry you don't understand that.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Old 04-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #44  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Every stamp company, or any company that has images of any kind (like Disney, Warner Brothers, ect) has copyright restrictions. Most fonts are copyrighted. I don't think any compny is being controlling, it's a matter of protecting what is yours.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

From another stamper (quote):

They claim rights to the artwork, but I claim they have sold me a tool made expressly for the purpose of creating a reproduction and therefore have no rights to it.

Call me a rebel but I do whatever I want with the tools I buy :}

You'll also notice that all these policies they have are never printed on the packaging. How do they even expect to claim disclosure? They just want you to buy and THEN tell you what you can do with them after they have your money.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:28 PM   #46  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

They claim rights to the artwork, but I claim they have sold me a tool made expressly for the purpose of creating a reproduction and therefore have no rights to it.

You'll also notice that all these policies they have are never printed on the packaging. How do they even expect to claim disclosure? They just want you to buy and THEN tell you what you can do with them after they have your money.
The copyright information may not be on the packaging, but it is on the orderform and in the cataloge.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #47  

One CAN do whatever one wants.

One CAN also be prosecuted for it, if the company so desires.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #48  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

There is a copyright symbol on the index sticker for every stamp. On page 255in the Big Idea book has all the copyright information. It is also on the website.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #49  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
One CAN do whatever one wants.

One CAN also be prosecuted for it, if the company so desires.
LOL! I like how you put that.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #50  
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollymoo951
I remember the coke & kleenex.

Now it's soda and tissue.
not in this household it's not...

coke and only coke - and it better be DIET!
we frum the suth huney chil.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 04-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #51  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
There is a copyright symbol on the index sticker for every stamp. On page 255in the Big Idea book with all the copyright information. It is also on the website.
I was just about to say that it's on the website too... actually I feel like it's almost shoved down my throat by how many times I see/hear it. That isn't a complaint, just saying.

My uncle/boss has his own business with a name that is copyrighted and I see all the struggle he goes through to keep his name in tact. I also know what my art means to mean so I can completely understand why SU would want to keep their images copyrighted. If I had a company like Shelli does, I would probably do the same thing.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:35 PM   #52  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmscoping

In the Mid-West it's always "Pop!" LOL... I laugh everytime I hear that when I'm out there. I pointed out to one guy that no where on the can does it say "Pop." He tried to prove me wrong... I won. hehehe
Old 04-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #53  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmscoping

LOL Agreed. Diet Coke.

Hey, I lived in Atlanta for seven years. Home of Co-Cola, as they liked to say it.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #54  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Strictly speaking, when we purchase a stamp of an image, we are not buying that image. The product we are effectively purchasing is a license to use that image and it is an assumed condition that when we buy it we agree to use it according to the copyright owner's terms and conditions.

The way we buy that image eg as a printed item or as a stamp is for the most part, simply the way that a company chooses to distribute it.

You mentioned designer papers in an earlier post? I sell most of the Cards I make. And there are certain companies who will not allow me to use their papers on cards that I sell. I can use them on cards I give away only. K&Co for example. Others insist I mention them on my labelling & packaging.
Stamping companies differ in their acceptable use policy too.

Copyright on items such as ribbons, inks etc is different and covers the product not it's use. There can also be issues with patents with items such as these but I'm not too sure about that.

I hope that's helpful.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:02 AM   #55  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

First, the rule about non-graphical copyright information has been in place at least as long as I have been a demonstrator, which is four years. What this requires is that demonstrators place a non-graphical copyright statement on any photo of artwork that is posted online or sent in an email. Non-graphical means that it is not encoded text that can be picked up by a search engine, it has to be a picture of text.

SU! also requires sites
that host pictures of artwork made with SU! stamps to place visible copyright information either on the photos (which is preferable, since people do copy the images) or somewhere near the photo on the site.

The only thing that SU! requires you as a customer to do is to use the angel policy stamp if you wish to sell your artwork and they limit you to where you can do this. There are many rubber stamp companies that do the exact same thing. A company has this choice in the United States...they own the images because they purchased the copyright from the artist who drew it. So they can choose how much license to allow the users of the image to have. Some companies do not have any restrictions at all. Some give you limited license, as SU! does. Some require you to request permission before using any images for resale. Some don't allow you any license to sell products made with their stamps. Under the law, they have this ability. Totally legal.

You, as a consumer, should you decide to sell artwork made with rubber stamps, have a responsibility to find out what the copyright policy is. If you are not selling artwork or posting the pictures of your artwork online do not have to worry about copyright. If you are posting pictures of SU! artwork on this site, Daven has already taken care of the copyright and you don't have to do anything.

You also have a choice. You can choose to ignore copyright laws (i.e. break the law) and do whatever the heck you want, but you also have to be prepared to incur any penalties your actions may bring you. SU! is not the big bad brother out there...just try to gleep Disney images and you'll find out what a real stickler for copyright is.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 04-08-2007, 07:06 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Jan, an excellent summary. I'm sorry I started all this. I had the wrong impression of something and was straightened out.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #57  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Jan, an excellent summary. I'm sorry I started all this. I had the wrong impression of something and was straightened out.
I wouldn't be sorry for starting this... good information that people need to know. There are a few posts that people really got into that gave some more info that is new to me, so I for one am glad this thread started.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsidawn
In the Mid-West it's always "Pop!" LOL... I laugh everytime I hear that when I'm out there. I pointed out to one guy that no where on the can does it say "Pop." He tried to prove me wrong... I won. hehehe
It's pop here, too (Canada). Does it actually say "soda" on your pop cans?
Old 04-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #59  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmayk
It's pop here, too (Canada). Does it actually say "soda" on your pop cans?
I just looked... the Pepsi products we have don't, but the Coke products do. I know when I was in Michigan the can we looked at- some weird brand they only have out there said "soda" all over it and never once said "pop."
Old 04-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #60  
Die Cut Diva

This has been incredibly informative! I sell stuff I make at craft fairs...and I bought a SU stamp with the copyright on it as per their Angel Policy! It does NOT have the year on it but I assume it is a respectable form of credit, or why would they sell it? Also, by no year on it, I don't need to buy a new one every year. I have only had one girl 'check' to make sure I was up to snuff on the angel policy (she actually seemed kind of annoyed that I was selling the stuff I made), other than that there have been no Paper Police contacting me. I abide by angel policies out of respect for the companies and designers I use although it is not possible to list them all (brads, ribbon, different papers, etc) on the back of a card. I bought cardbackabella as well, as I am sure I will be selling things with her images on them, and I would want Emily's beautiful ladies credited! I also verbally tell people about all the stuff I use and where to get them. I even keep my SU catalogue handy to show people! (I am NOT a demo BTW). So, with all that said, I'm pretty sure I'm up to snuff on what needs to be done at very little additional cost. As far as the card watermarks go, I still don't have one but if I did I would only want my name on it as there is already the SU (c) at the bottom of the card (by SCS), and as mentioned earlier, we (usually) list the supplies as well. I'm sure SU is very grateful to SCS as this is probably THE most enabling site out there for their stuff!!!!

I would like to see SU offer more (c) stamps, however! It would be nice if one could buy a single (c) stamp for a lower price (ie$5) instead of, or as well as a whole set. The personalized ones are $25 here in Canada (that's what I have), but it would be nice to have ones that were a little less conspicuous!!! SU could probably even give them away in order to ensure their use and as an act of good faith, or a 'gee, thanks for buying extraordinary amounts of our stuff so you can try and make maybe a quarter of what you spend, back!!' I can't tell you how much of the stuff I sell is to other paper crafters/stampers/scrappers! Well, that's my 2 cents! (actually, judging from the length of this post it's probably closer to $2)
Old 04-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #61  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamps'nCoffee
SU could probably even give them away in order to ensure their use and as an act of good faith, or a 'gee, thanks for buying extraordinary amounts of our stuff so you can try and make maybe a quarter of what you spend, back!!' I can't tell you how much of the stuff I sell is to other paper crafters/stampers/scrappers! Well, that's my 2 cents! (actually, judging from the length of this post it's probably closer to $2)
Bah ha ha ha ha

That made me laugh...