Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   new stampers - starter kit (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/new-stampers-starter-kit-72770/)

quilter9950 07-25-2005 06:22 PM

new stampers - starter kit

Hi,

I am planning a Stampin' Up! gathering at my home. Three of the individuals attending have never stamped before and I'd like to be prepared -- should they ask -- to recommend a basic starter kit for them ... giving them some versatility without costing them a lot of $$. I'd appreciate any comments you'd care to share.

Thanks in advance.

btalem 07-25-2005 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quilter9950
Hi,

I am planning a Stampin' Up! gathering at my home. Three of the individuals attending have never stamped before and I'd like to be prepared -- should they ask -- to recommend a basic starter kit for them ... giving them some versatility without costing them a lot of $$. I'd appreciate any comments you'd care to share.

Thanks in advance.

Not that I am by any means qualified, but I'll toss my 2 cents worth in:

The best suggestion I can give you is to look through the ABC gallery and find the ones that have HUGE amounts of pictures uploaded to them. Like Heartfelt Thanks or Roses in Winter. Some of those stamp sets are SO versitile that you can make almost any kind of card with them. The other additions could be a couple of general colors (like blue, red, green) that could be used together. Remember that one stamp pad can give you three or four colors -- by stamping off once, twice, or three times! If there is still some $$ left over, you can try a pack of assorted paper, but you can also get paper from local craft stores.

Just as a side note, my FAVORITE set, that I can use for almost anything is Roses in Winter. It is one of the more expensive sets, but you just can't mess it up! It makes you look like a pro!

Good luck and I hope my suggestions help!

Amy

maryp 07-25-2005 08:30 PM

On pages 25-27 of the new SU catty there are starter sets that would give
lots of versatility for new stampers.

HTH

Mary

addicted2stamps 07-26-2005 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryp
On pages 25-27 of the new SU catty there are starter sets that would give
lots of versatility for new stampers.

HTH

Mary

and if they don't like those stamp sets on the page before those they show how to create your own (1 set + 2 or 3 ink pads + cardstock) I would look for a stamp set that has both words and images or two inexpensive sets one words, one images.

I would also highly recommend them getting the stamp and scrub and stampin' mist if possible.

maryp 07-26-2005 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted2stamps
and if they don't like those stamp sets on the page before those they show how to create your own (1 set + 2 or 3 ink pads + cardstock) I would look for a stamp set that has both words and images or two inexpensive sets one words, one images.

I would also highly recommend them getting the stamp and scrub and stampin' mist if possible.

Yep!

Mary

outsiderartist 07-26-2005 09:28 AM

The most valuable resource a new stamper can have is someone to actually show them how to use the tools they have. You don't realise how difficult ( you prolly do )it can be to learn how to use a paper cutter, a bone folder, a tape dispenser, dimensional squares, a heat gun, versamark, watercolor pencils, brads, eyelets, this doohickie and that doohickie... that is one reason that soo many people try it once nad give up.

So along with a starter kit, make sure there is at least one experienced patient stamper to help get them tru the projects per newbie... that has helped get people compforatble and excited about stamping.. having someone there that reassures them that they are not bothering anyone, that they too can be creative and make cute things....

AGMommyof2 07-26-2005 09:56 AM

If you know a little about these ladies (or gents), you might 'pull' together some idea kits similur to the ones shown in the catty, say if you know one loves animals, well do a pet-theme kit, for this I would highly recommend having a color wheel handy & if you can (& have the stamp) put together a sample, or throw together some Holiday cards - using again the color wheel, plan elegant, playful, & religious- themed cards to showcase what you've come up with... I think most people would like to make their own xmas cards & might just come on board if the examples are there...

denier 07-26-2005 10:32 AM

if you are looking for a starter kit that is as inexpensive as possible....here's my thoughts. (in a plastic case) basic black ink pad, bone folder, SNAIL, blender pens, and pastels (and hopefully a set of stamps). i would also include a couple of envelopes and some precut cardstock. i think the pastels are the cheapest way to get all the colors up front?

i will signing up as a demo and have been giving this some thought. i'd love to have a couple of small starer kits on hand. i LOVE instant gratification. i know there are others like me. so if someone places an order (and a starter kit) they will have something to play with while waiting for there real order. or they can play with thier starter kit before placing another order.

stampig in not a cheap hobby to "just start right up".

i forgot to add...VERSAMARK!!!!!