Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   New Michael's store -- Next Generation (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/new-michaels-store-next-generation-385452/)

jent 09-26-2008 03:47 AM

New Michael's store -- Next Generation

Has anyone else heard about some Michael's being revamped? There is one in our area that we mainly be devoted to card making/scrapbooking and beading. The employee telling me about it was so excited she could hardly contain herself.

She was beginning to restock some of the new scrapbooking supplies, she claimed a lot of merchandise had been sent to other stores. Funny thing was she wasn't real sure what these few specialized M's will be called. I thought she mentioned in the store we refer to it as the "Next Generation" store.

I know a few SCS gals work for Mike's can can anyone add to this and give us the full details? Thanks!!

jent 09-26-2008 03:50 AM

Sorry, thread should be entitled New Michael's store (WOW can't type in the dark this morning) -- can't edit a title -- at least I don't know how to, LOL!!!!

lgulotta 09-26-2008 04:20 AM

That explains the funny word! I thought there was some new term out there that I hadn't heard of yet, and I just had to come find out what it was.

Our Michael's is moving to a new, larger location and I am hopeful that it will be revamped in a big way. As it is, I don't even really enjoy going in--poor lighting, limited supplies, less-than-knowledgeable clerks... they don't need to specialize in paper crafts and beading, just up the products and service (and LIGHTING, that's my pet peeve)!

babydal57 09-26-2008 04:29 AM

Didn't Michaels just close down Recollections which was their specialty scrapbooking store????

The site of our Recollections is still empty and it's right next to an Aaron Brothers (which is also owned by Michaels). Maybe they'll see the error of their ways and reopen the Recollections stores. They were making money, but new Michaels ownership didn't want to have to deal with only a dozen or so "specialty" stores (at least according to the wonderful ladies that worked at my Recollections).

Lazorkay 09-26-2008 04:33 AM

I loved Recollections! I miss it - although I wished they had a bigger
stamp line and accessories.

rockfestqueen 09-26-2008 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgulotta (Post 11458426)
That explains the funny word! I thought there was some new term out there that I hadn't heard of yet, and I just had to come find out what it was.

Our Michael's is moving to a new, larger location and I am hopeful that it will be revamped in a big way. As it is, I don't even really enjoy going in--poor lighting, limited supplies, less-than-knowledgeable clerks... they don't need to specialize in paper crafts and beading, just up the products and service (and LIGHTING, that's my pet peeve)!

Hey where are you in WI? I was just going to post about the M's closest to me here and it is moving to a larger location...it is in Eau Claire, WI.

tiggger1968 09-26-2008 06:07 AM

I heard something similar from one of our Michaels also. She said there are only going to be a certain number, but don't remember the number!

frankie 09-26-2008 06:59 AM

Yep, they are in fact revamping their stores. I'm not sure if it's going to be chainwide at this point. They have the prototype store done -- it's in Texas and it looks amazing. Nothing like the M's most of us are used to.

If any of you noticed the logo change in the last ad from M's -- that's also the new signage for the "new" stores.

NwP 09-26-2008 07:23 AM

I noticed the new logo and hoped it meant that some changes were in store. Ha, no pun intended! ;)

JulieHRR 09-26-2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie (Post 11459962)
Yep, they are in fact revamping their stores. I'm not sure if it's going to be chainwide at this point. They have the prototype store done -- it's in Texas and it looks amazing. Nothing like the M's most of us are used to.

If any of you noticed the logo change in the last ad from M's -- that's also the new signage for the "new" stores.

Dang, ya' made me salivate over the thought!

There's a Michael's an hour from me . . . I wonder if I will be so lucky that it will be graced with the changes you mentioned . . . when I can get off The Rock, of course . . . :rolleyes:

ellepaul 09-26-2008 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie (Post 11459962)

Do you know where in Texas???

justanotherstamper 09-26-2008 08:29 AM

New store opening October 12 in Fort Wayne, IN. A clerk told me it would be entirely different than the current store.

Have you noticed on the %off coupons that books and magazines are now excluded? Had a 50% off coupon last week and could not use it on the book I really wanted. Also when they have 40% or 50% off coupons have you noticed that almost everything you want is already 30% off? Do they not want us to shop with them or is this just a gimick to get us in the store?

frankie 09-26-2008 08:40 AM

You can see some pics of a new Michael's on this blog -- HTH!

Kiko 09-26-2008 08:44 AM

We have a new Michael's that opened around March this year and it is beautiful. The aisles are laid out so nicely with papercrafting prominently located up front. The lighting is bright and cheery. There is an incredible stock of art supplies, crafts, florals, etc. in the various departments.

The old Michael's in the next town over is terrible. I used to leave there mad every time because their selections were so poor and the store just looked old and tired.

Love the layout of the new store. It's an entirely new shopping experience.

Kiko 09-26-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie (Post 11461109)

Our new store looks much like that one. A welcome change!

babydal57 09-26-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiko (Post 11461158)
We have a new Michael's that opened around March this year and it is beautiful. The aisles are laid out so nicely with papercrafting prominently located up front. The lighting is bright and cheery. There is an incredible stock of art supplies, crafts, florals, etc. in the various departments.

The old Michael's in the next town over is terrible. I used to leave there mad every time because their selections were so poor and the store just looked old and tired.

Love the layout of the new store. It's an entirely new shopping experience.

DARN! I got so excited because I'm in VA too. But Bristol is over 4 hours from me LOL~ Darned big state. :rolleyes:

NwP 09-26-2008 09:22 AM

Ah, those blog pictures are great! It didn't look remotely like a Michael's store, which can be a good thing.

Thanks for posting the link!

Lazorkay 09-26-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

OH MYYYYYY!!!

Hurst is 30 minutes from me - I hated that old store.

shopping trip is on the calendar :):)

thank you!

ellepaul 09-26-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

I just think I might just have to go and check this store out! :)

AnMiSu 09-26-2008 10:47 AM

Oooh, I hope these changes come to Canada as well! We've gotten a bit of a revamp in the past couple of years and it has improved the stores but this one looks like it would be a lot of fun.

kphorse 09-26-2008 11:41 AM

I sure hope they re-do the one in Chico, CA! It is like walking into a dollar store! Poor lighting and everything crammed everywhere.

ellepaul 09-26-2008 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse (Post 11463164)
I sure hope they re-do the one in Chico, CA! It is like walking into a dollar store! Poor lighting and everything crammed everywhere.

That's how it looks in Tyler, Texas. It is in an old store, looks like a Safeway from the 80's. Yucky!

sprtchick 09-26-2008 12:36 PM

Wow...this store looks so yummy! I hope ours in Vegas get the overhaul...lol
Blessings.

ellepaul 09-26-2008 08:17 PM

I went tonight... I love it!

It was so bright and nice inside. Even my DH liked it! A lot of new products. I really liked the layout of the store.

I hope they change the ones near me to look like this store!

Melissa Hannant 09-26-2008 10:02 PM

I think we should all email Michaels coprorate and let them know that we've seen pictures of the new amazing prototype store and we are all way excited to have the same in our towns and cities. I know mine sure doesn't come close to what the pictures look like.

StampinMeema 09-27-2008 04:28 AM

Woohoo! A new Michael's is opening up about 15 min away from me next Sunday.

I thought it opened up last week, and when I pulled into the parking lot was confused because the sign is totally different.

Can't wait to see it!

Stampingdeedee 09-27-2008 04:38 AM

Wow how can I get to Texas? I agree with contacting Michael's and letting them know we love the new look. They cannot ignore all of us.

okstamper 09-27-2008 05:35 AM

Hmmm, I haven't been in awhile. Ought to check them out.

Bonnie

stamphappy1650 09-27-2008 06:58 AM

Oh do hope they change the one in Folsom, Ca. Last week they added more stamp lines (Inkadinkado, Stampendours, and Hero Arts. They are finally adding the clear stamps. Other stores in the Sacramento area are much better than the one 1 block from me. Being so close to Mike's is a curse and a blessing oh an not to brag (snort) I have a nice scrapbook store 1/2 block away. Anywho, I would love to have the new format - its beautiful.

Itsapassion 09-27-2008 10:15 AM

I just got back from visiting the new revamped Michaels in Hurst TX!!! Holy cow! Recollections on steroids!! Today is the last day to use the 50% off coupon so I went with very low expectations -- but I got that racing-heart, where's-the-bathroom, how-much-money-can-I-spend-without-getting-in-trouble sensation as I walked through it! Lots of everything, the shelves are packed with MarthaS, Sizzix, Basic Grey, Acrylic and WM stamps, Cricut, making memories, everything I could think of. Everything that I wanted!! I'm going to go back tonight before they close to use another 50% coupon!! Wow -- you're gonna love it, they need these in every state!!

dorism6220 09-27-2008 10:44 AM

I sure hope we get one - can't even spend the coupons on anything with the money burning a hole in my pocket because there's nothing new!

susiestampalot 09-27-2008 12:15 PM

oooOOOO!! i live about 10 minutes away from that store! i knew they were redoing it, but i hadn't been over there, since i have another michaels literally two minutes away from my house! sounds like i'll be having a fun sunday afternoon tomorrow!!!

SusieN56 09-27-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMeema (Post 11470418)
Woohoo! A new Michael's is opening up about 15 min away from me next Sunday.

I thought it opened up last week, and when I pulled into the parking lot was confused because the sign is totally different.

Can't wait to see it!

I wouldn't get too excited, a new one opened where I now live two weeks ago, and it is NOT the new format! Bummer!

Susanne

leora williams 09-27-2008 03:40 PM

I hope that at least one of the two in Louisville will revamp. Since Archivers opened a couple of years ago I'm sure that Michael's has felt the pinch because Archivers always has anything new and up to date.

palval77 09-27-2008 03:49 PM

Oh I sooooooooo hope one comes to the Twin Cities. I'm 20 minutes to everywhere....St Paul or Minneapolis

CKMom 09-27-2008 03:58 PM

store

I would love a revamp. Our store does have the new signage, but an employee friend had no clue as to any changes taking place.
They still do not have any new cuttlebug stuff, only the very first set of releases from 2 yrs ago, no cool paper, etc.

graciez 09-27-2008 04:56 PM

I understand there is a new one going up in W. Palm Beach, FL..to open soon...

Kittypaws 09-27-2008 05:46 PM

We have a new one in our area that opened last year, and it is the old style. Clean and new, but the same. Haven't heard of a new one anywhere near. Rats!

Nicole's Mom 09-27-2008 06:28 PM

Anything going on in Michigan?

moxelliot 09-27-2008 06:39 PM

Amber -
The store in NW Vegas (Centennial are) is going to be one of these new stores... hopefully finished in a few weeks. I live within a minute of this one - SO Dangerous!!