Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-01-2004, 10:02 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta vent - rude relatives

Argh!! I am rather upset and I need someone to tell me I'm being unreasonable... someone who is not in my house within punching distance :lol: ....
I offered, as a wedding gift, to make my cousin come thank you cards - I was thinking generic - in case she didn't like them. Well who can't use a thank you card or two right? Well her mother (my aunt) emailed me back a week later and said that she had already ordered them and no thank you, but would I like to make 140 placecards for the tables - I said sure - then I get this email with the names (which is some strange file name which I cannot open) and very clear and rather condicending (sp?) terms as to what they should look like and can I have them there by the 10th - it will take at least a week for a parcel to travel from here to there.
I don't want to blow my own horn, but I think I have rather good taste and my cards are rather nice --- is this just the rudest thing are am I being too touchy :?
Sorry to vent but I just had to get this out!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 10:05 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Sarah ~ let me just say this......relatives are the WORST because they assume if you offer once, you're in it for life!!

I can understand "some creative control" (such as made with a set including roses instead of daisies....if the flowers are all roses ~ or certain colors to coincide with the colors of the wedding party), but to be demanding is too much. I would be very tempted to speak with the bride and get HER input.....and if it's not working, just say that you can't possibly meet their deadlines/expectations.

(If it were me I'd probably just opt to punch them out!! ;)
But I have no patience for family either!!)

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 10:11 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,042 Likes on 478 Posts

I agree with my twin, call the bride and tell her you just needed to run your idea by her for clarification :lol: That way it's your own creative idea and she can let you know if the specifics will clash for her theme/colors. Things ALWAYS work out better when you cut out the Middle Man! Any true shopper knows this :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 10:17 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Sounds like my MIL who wants me to make 15 perpetual birthday calendars and wants them ALL DIFFERENT!!!!!!! :shock: and to please not stamp my Handmade by Barb on the back of them! She wants to give them for Christmas gifts just from her. To top it off, the gift is just from her.... not from my husband & I.

Haven't gotten the nerve to stand up to her yet! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 10:19 AM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,042 Likes on 478 Posts

Barb - Tell her you'd be happy to do it, and charge her appropriately for each one :lol: If she wants to give it as "her" gift, surely she won't mind purchasing it!!
Debbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 10:31 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Sarah, call the Bride and discuss the ideas you have and her ideas.

Barb, nothing leaves my hot little hands without my Handstamped by Mel stamp. Call it my copyright. MIL needs to either make them herself or be happy with what she gets. If she wants them for a gift fine but no artist would not sign in some way their work.

I've had a woman ask me to make cards for her and to use the Hand Stamped by stamps but to leave the name area blank so she could write her name there. Oooookkkk? No. You want your name on there you need to make them. Did I say she also wanted them for free? Some ppl are nutsos.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 10:58 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Sometimes it amazes me what people think they 'deserve' nowadays.

My mom always call me up and yells at me if I DON'T stamp my information on the back. I can hear her now...."Now Laura, you really should have........"

Gotta love her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 11:10 AM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

oh, Barb!

I agree, make sure you charge her appropriately. For the calendar and for each page.

All different? I'd say, no way. And asking you to not put your name on the back is funny business. Make sure you at least put an Angel Policy stamp.

And don't get me started on helping out family with wedding stuff! I do cakes, and I'm doing my BIL wedding cake this month. You'd think it was my MIL wedding instead. grrrrrrrrr!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2004, 01:46 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

ooh people think we get this stuff for free and have all the free time in the world to sit around stamping things JUST for them. maybe you can ask your cousin what she thinks of YOUR design. maybe she'll like it better than her mom's.
Reply With Quote Likes