Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #41  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was most likely GST/HST that was paid:

From: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/co...e-e.html#value

Postal Program – Duty-free and tax-exempt importations The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) can examine any item that comes into Canada by mail.

You may have to pay duty, the goods and services tax (GST) or harmonized sales tax (HST), and provincial sales tax (PST) on items mailed to you. This depends on:

the item's value in Canadian dollars
whether or not it is a gift.

Value in Canadian dollars

If someone mails you an item worth $20 CAN or less, you don't have to pay duty or tax on the item (see D8-2-2 for details).

If the item is worth more than $20 CAN, you must pay the applicable duty, the GST or HST, and any PST on the item's full value (see D8-2-2 for details).

Some items do not qualify for the $20 CAN exemption:

tobacco
books
periodicals
magazines
alcoholic beverages
goods ordered through a Canadian post office box or intermediary

Items that qualify as a "gift"

For an item to qualify as a "gift", another person must send it to you personally and must include a card or other notice indicating that it's a gift.

If you receive an imported gift by mail and it's worth $60 CAN or less, you don't have to pay duty or tax.
If the gift is worth more than $60, you must pay duty and tax on the amount over $60 CAN.
For example, if a relative sends you a gift worth $200 CAN, you must pay the applicable duty, the GST or HST, and any PST on $140 CAN.
Please note:

The $60 CAN gift exemption does not apply to:
goods such as tobacco, alcoholic beverages, or advertising material
items sent by a business, company, or association.
As well, the $60 CAN exemption that's available on gifts cannot be combined with the $20 CAN exemption that's available on all items.

My SCS Gallery
My Blog: Live Love Laugh and STAMP

Last edited by Shannon13; 11-14-2007 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Add website
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #42  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzy_HView Post
I got my Hannas today WOO HOOOOOO

I can't wait to get her all dirty and inked

I had to pay $10 duties though - any other Canadians getting hit with duties for stamps? It said duty for vulcanized rubber product. Oi.
Look closely - is it actually duty?
I get nailed a LOT......but it's normally just a $5 "service fee" and then taxes.
Like the gov't doesn't get ENOUGH of my taxes...... ;)

I figure I get nailed about every 1 in 6 packages. Example - Nestabilities from Ellen Hutson's store - two different shipments - got nailed for one, not the other. I've been nailed for "gift card samples" before.....but it's not all the time so I figure I'm OK!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my real life job I used to be a Customs Broker. Goodies that are MANUFACTURED in the U.S.A should NOT be charged duties at all. Gst, if it is stopped, maybe. Kristi, you must ensure that the origin on the package states USA.

thanks
Em
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 09:18 AM   #44  
Crimping Master

More info: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/co...utiable-e.html

Postal Program � Dutiable and taxable importations The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) can examine any item that comes into Canada by mail.

Gifts by mail
If you receive a gift by mail, it may be duty-free.

Duty and taxes
Payable on most items imported into Canada, the amount of duty and tax you owe -- if any -- will be shown on Form E-14, Customs Postal Import Form, which will be attached to your mail item.

Regional requirements

Newfoundland/Labrador, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick residents are assessed the harmonized sales tax (HST) instead of the GST.
British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec residents are required to pay provincial sales tax.
Note:

All mail items are subject to a $5 CAN handling fee payable to Canada Post.
All amounts must be paid at the time of delivery (cash, certified cheque, VISA�, MasterCard�, or your Canada Post commercial account).
Agreements and Disagreements
If you agree with the duty and tax assessed Canada Post will collect the amount indicated on Form E-14 when they deliver your item.

If you disagree with the duty and tax assessed, there are two options available to you:

Return the mail item to the CBSA for reassessment:

Canada Post will record your phone number on Form E-14, provide a copy to you, and return the mail item to the CBSA.
The CBSA will contact you once we've received the item from Canada Post.

For immediate delivery of the item: pay the amount indicated on Form E-14 when delivered by Canada Post.

Request a reassessment and possible refund, by submitting Form B2G, Customs Informal Adjustment Request (available online and on the back of Form E14) to the nearest CBSA Casual Refund Centre for processing.

My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #45  
Crimping Master

The $10 makes sense for Suzy as $5 would be the service fee and then the other $5 would be HST as she is in Nova Scotia.

My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #46  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyRView Post
I don't think the resemblences are "too similar" - and the fact that the artist who designs the stamps is NOT a stamper at all (she's a cartoonist) and prolly has no idea what Bellas are means something as well (she's just given ideas then sketches them out and eventually they end up as stamps).

I really am just curious why someone "new" to the forums is posting things like this (Bella related and seemingly trying to cause trouble) - however I might be totally wrong on that point!!
great point amy - I am curious about that too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #47  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzy_HView Post
I got my Hannas today WOO HOOOOOO

I can't wait to get her all dirty and inked

I had to pay $10 duties though - any other Canadians getting hit with duties for stamps? It said duty for vulcanized rubber product. Oi.
What on earth? Did it actually SAY that? That is so odd - you might have to pay taxes (which usually only applies if the value is over $20 then you pay a $5 processing fee and the tax on the value) but to pay duty on something manufactured in the US (AND that is CLEAR not rubber) doesn't ring right to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmayoView Post
OMG, Beth this card Hanna: What ducks do when no one is watching by MyPrecious at Splitcoaststampers
is sooooooo cute

just had to say it;)
Thanks Jimmie!

Kristi - It is more of a LIMO! Gotta Make A Hanna with a Greased Lightnin Van!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #49  
Crimping Master

Quote:

What on earth? Did it actually SAY that? That is so odd - you might have to pay taxes (which usually only applies if the value is over $20 then you pay a $5 processing fee and the tax on the value) but to pay duty on something manufactured in the US (AND that is CLEAR not rubber) doesn't ring right to me.
Thats what Emmabella and I are thinking too - she paid the $5 processing and than GST/PST - or in Suzy case it would be HST as she is in NS. I posted some info from the gov't website hope it helps to clear this up.

SLT

My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 10:32 AM   #50  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by qcbettyView Post
Look closely - is it actually duty?
I get nailed a LOT......but it's normally just a $5 "service fee" and then taxes.
Like the gov't doesn't get ENOUGH of my taxes...... ;)

I figure I get nailed about every 1 in 6 packages. Example - Nestabilities from Ellen Hutson's store - two different shipments - got nailed for one, not the other. I've been nailed for "gift card samples" before.....but it's not all the time so I figure I'm OK!
Hi all,
Now I am not sure - the mailman came, said I owe and I gave him my money lol.

Edit - I saw the slip of paper say vulcanized rubber so thought it was for duty for rubber..... I didn't look close enough to see if it said tax or duty I was fixated on the word vulcanized lol

Could have been taxes... just never thought I would have to pay tax if it isnt made in Canada. I know nothing about this stuff as I am from the US and when I ordered online there, if the store didnt do business in the state I lived there were no taxes owed. Thanks for clearing it up

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #51  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

ohhh ya Bethie's Greased Lightening van is awesome!!! I would love a van with a tv that huge in it.. that would keep the kids quiet!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #52  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

I don't think the resemblences are "too similar" - and the fact that the artist who designs the stamps is NOT a stamper at all (she's a cartoonist) and prolly has no idea what Bellas are means something as well (she's just given ideas then sketches them out and eventually they end up as stamps).

I really am just curious why someone "new" to the forums is posting things like this (Bella related and seemingly trying to cause trouble) - however I might be totally wrong on that point!!
Very well stated, Amy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

Kristi, If You put Hanna with a Greased Lightening van, I get dibs on sticking her boots out the window.

(Now I wonder where I can get some mens boots on a stamp....Don't come knockin if the van is a rockin'. Hey, maybe that's why she got the van in the first place........)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #54  
Mad Swapper

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristi LynnView Post
Hi everyone....
Thank you so much for the talk )
If someone thinks my stamps look like the Bella's then that is their opinion. That's ok to think what ever you like. It is a free world. But to be honest, I do not get my inpriation from the Bella's. Think about a Rain Set really. One needs an umbrella, boots, .....LOL How many different ways can an umbrella be before it will not look like an umbrella.
I just think it all is too funny that I am so new only 1 month old company and I am getting this must press...LOL Some one must think I am a threat to other stamp companies. Which in it self is a HUGE compliment. ) Thank you.
If you think they look like hers that is a compliment , after all who doesn't love the Bellas.. But please rest asured that they, my or any future Hanna are NOT copied off any other images or stamp sets.
Ok everyone back to your regular stamping stuff....

Oooo oooo ooooo (jumping up and down)... How cool that you are on here. Gives me a chance to say how much I love the stamps and can't wait to get some....yipee!!! Keep em' coming!

I love the bellas too. The only similarity for me is both are a style that I like/NEED to play with. I can never have to many to choose from :mrgreen: Okay,,,,now off to my stampaholics meeting:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 12:48 PM   #55  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I love both styles!
So, KristieLynn, you dont actually do the drawings, you give the ideas to an artist, and she draws it up? Man I thought you were drawin' them all!! ;) I still like them!! hee hee
You have a great blog!

I used to have SU set that was a little girl holding an umbrella and some rain- YEARS ago!!! lol

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Beth, I just saw the card you made! So clever and so cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

Default Beth's Van

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudywView Post
Kristi, If You put Hanna with a Greased Lightening van, I get dibs on sticking her boots out the window.

(Now I wonder where I can get some mens boots on a stamp....Don't come knockin if the van is a rockin'. Hey, maybe that's why she got the van in the first place........)
Haaahaa
OK I get dibs on that stamp set. So if you see another stamp company make that set, you saw it here at Hanna Stamps! first....Haaaaahaaa
I'll make ADULT version of Hanna Stamps!...Bwaaaahaaaa Judy you are too much. Ok I need another picture of Beths van, steamed windows, that sign hanging on the door knob.Haaaahaaaaaa

My blog @
www.kreationsbykrissy.com

TIMMY HO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #58  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

And remember, Hanna has the great accessory stamps too! That is what I've been using to create:

http://valeriestangle.blogspot.com/2...goes-baby

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #59  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudywView Post

Judy, I LOVE your avatar! Dirty Jobs is one of my very favorite shows! I just LOVE Mike!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

I like the Hanna's cause they have nice hair..and actual legs..lol..
loves ya

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 02:19 PM   #61  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by InkaliciousView Post
I love both styles!
So, KristieLynn, you dont actually do the drawings, you give the ideas to an artist, and she draws it up? Man I thought you were drawin' them all!! ;) I still like them!! hee hee
You have a great blog!

I used to have SU set that was a little girl holding an umbrella and some rain- YEARS ago!!! lol
Oh Man I wished I could draw that well. No I have a great illutrator that does my images. I knew I wanted her, because of her talent. So I hunted her and track her down. Begged her and begged her some more...LOL. She was very worried about it at first because she had no clue to what I was talking about. "STAMPER" what is that?? LOL I had to give her a crash coarse to the world of stamping...She calls it a cult...LOL. So after we hashed out all the fine print, have my lawyer contact your lawyer....we'll do lunch type of thing...Making sure my stuff did not affect her stuff legally...and boom here we are.
Thank you for your support. )

My blog @

TIMMY HO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #62  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Oh noooo, I'll make sure I change that and dont put rubber stamps on the slip. I am so sorry I had no idea.
Isn't that funny how something good came about from this thread In my opinion there is always going to be some overlap based on what is popular and trendy. Images like Hanna and Bella are hot right now so it makes sense to me. I also believe that stamp company owners are very conscious about finding their own niche in the market and have no interest in copying others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #63  
Hardware Hotshot

I should also add that their are lots of images I think of when I see images like Hanna and Bella, such as some from Rubber Romance and theirs the sweet girl under the umbrella from Inky Antics or maybe its' Inkadinkado. Anyways my point is they don't advertise on SCS so they don't get the slack, lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #64  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinnesmithView Post
Oooo oooo ooooo (jumping up and down)... How cool that you are on here. Gives me a chance to say how much I love the stamps and can't wait to get some....yipee!!! Keep em' coming!

I love the bellas too. The only similarity for me is both are a style that I like/NEED to play with. I can never have to many to choose from :mrgreen: Okay,,,,now off to my stampaholics meeting:twisted:
I'll meet you there ;) I have TONS of Bellas and now all of Hanna Stamps and I see no end in sight!!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #65  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Oh noooo, I'll make sure I change that and dont put rubber stamps on the slip. I am so sorry I had no idea.
Not your fault! Wait until you see what I am doing with Miss Hanna!!!!!

Just love her.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #66  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

Quote:

Haaahaa
OK I get dibs on that stamp set. So if you see another stamp company make that set, you saw it here at Hanna Stamps! first....Haaaaahaaa
I'll make ADULT version of Hanna Stamps!...Bwaaaahaaaa Judy you are too much. Ok I need another picture of Beths van, steamed windows, that sign hanging on the door knob.Haaaahaaaaaa
Now this idea of a van has great possibilities. The ideas are limitless. You make this set and I'll be doing cartwheels and roundoffs down the street!
BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA oh my mind is running wild!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #67  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadSherryView Post
Now this idea of a van has great possibilities. The ideas are limitless. You make this set and I'll be doing cartwheels and roundoffs down the street!
BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA oh my mind is running wild!
Oh uh..... now you got her started ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #68  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
Oh uh..... now you got her started ;)
Hey I don't do cartwheels and roundoffs for just any little ole thang!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #69  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Hey I don't do cartwheels and roundoffs for just any little ole thang!
Somebody get the video camera ready.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #70  
Hardware Hotshot

Haaabwaaaaa
If she does a cart wheel I am so gettin' the camera.... Hi you two!!!!
Quote:

Somebody get the video camera ready.

My blog @

TIMMY HO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #71  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Hey Kristi!

The girls are doing some cute stuff with the sneak peeks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #72  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hey Kristi -- long time no see!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #73  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Haaabwaaaaa
If she does a cart wheel I am so gettin' the camera.... Hi you two!!!!
hmmmm aren't you worried I might break it? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #74  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

I'm thinking making some money from Funniest Home Videos. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #75  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

no...but you might break your back...heehee...
outta here before i get in trouble! :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #76  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

No way.....I'll turn it in to AFV...haaahaaaa
Roundoff...OMG I have not heard that word in sooo long....haaahaaaa I used to could one, not any more....I might end up in the hospital....Haaahaaaa

My blog @

TIMMY HO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #77  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
no...but you might break your back...heehee...
outta here before i get in trouble! :twisted:
chicken

bwaack bwaack
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #78  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

I'm thinking making some money from Funniest Home Videos. ;)
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

It might take you holding one leg and Kittie holding the other one
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:53 PM   #79  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Who you calling chicken????

chickendance.gif
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #80  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
Who you calling chicken????

You my chicken friend!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes