Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamp Shopping In NYC

Hi all - Im going to be in NYC in a couple of weeks does anyone know of any stamp stores in Midtown? I know there is one in lower Manhatten but I am going to mostly be in midtown thanks for any advice! I know there is a great art store but havent found any stamp stores.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

There really aren't any stamps stores in midtown Manhatten. If you really want to go to a stamp store in NYC you have to go The Ink Pad. It is a small but fun store to go into.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks! I saw that store but wasnt sure if I was going to get down that far this trip. If you have been there can you tell me what you thought of it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Default The Inkpad...

...I know you asked Mrs. Mike but I practically LIVE in that store so I had to comment (hope you don't mind)---its WONDERFUL! They have just about EVERY STAMP you've NEVER seen! Everything is rare and beautiful and although its a small store, its filled floor to ceiling with stamps!:p The staff is SUPER freindly and helpful--they also have tons of stencils to create with!
Other than the inkpad, you will find a very small selection of stamps at Lee's art store on 57th St. and at Portrait Bug (Broadway and 92nd)--they mainly have clear stamps but their stamp selection isn't anything to write home about either...however they have GREAT paper & embellishments! HTH! And have fun in the city!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm also an Ink Pad cheerleader! I LOVE that place. In fact I have to consciously tell myself NOT to go there when i'm in the city. I have to warn you, if you are coming from the country or the suburbs and are used to big stores, you don't know what a tiny is until you go there. WIth 4 people in the store it is crowded. But it is filled from the floor to the ceiling with stamps. I've bought some great things there that I've never ever seen anywhere else. They've got some inks, and some embellishments, and the Marvy punches that you can't usually find at Mikes. If you go to their Web site, click on Monthly Coupon there will be a coupon to print out. I just checked and it's still the one from February but maybe by the time you come there will be a new one.

The employees are so helpful too. You will love it.

And, if you do decide to go there, across the street and up one block is a great vegetarian sandwich shop. I don't remember the name of it, but it's on the corner and you can't miss it. Lots of healthy sandwiches and you can sit and look at your purchases there.

have a great time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Would that be "S'NICE" that you're talking about? EVERYONE raves about that place. I hear even the coffee is amazing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by merryfView Post
across the street and up one block is a great vegetarian sandwich shop. I don't remember the name of it, but it's on the corner and you can't miss it. Lots of healthy sandwiches and you can sit and look at your purchases there.

have a great time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I went to the Ink Pad once on a trip to NYC. It is just as they describe. Tiny and filled to the ceiling with stamps. They had all sorts of A Muse stamps that I had never seen before. Lots and lots of great stuff. It is in a area of NYC that I was not familiar with, but I loved walking through the neighborhoods to get there. Neat store and well worth it to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Smile Great information...

Quote:

Originally Posted by merryfView Post
I'm also an Ink Pad cheerleader! I LOVE that place. In fact I have to consciously tell myself NOT to go there when i'm in the city. I have to warn you, if you are coming from the country or the suburbs and are used to big stores, you don't know what a tiny is until you go there. WIth 4 people in the store it is crowded. But it is filled from the floor to the ceiling with stamps. I've bought some great things there that I've never ever seen anywhere else. They've got some inks, and some embellishments, and the Marvy punches that you can't usually find at Mikes. If you go to their Web site, click on Monthly Coupon there will be a coupon to print out. I just checked and it's still the one from February but maybe by the time you come there will be a new one.

The employees are so helpful too. You will love it.

And, if you do decide to go there, across the street and up one block is a great vegetarian sandwich shop. I don't remember the name of it, but it's on the corner and you can't miss it. Lots of healthy sandwiches and you can sit and look at your purchases there.

have a great time!
I have read about this store but have never made it a priority to stop in when in NYC. Now with all the new insight everyone has given - I will make a point to stop in on my next trip to NYC.
Thanks

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 374 Likes on 222 Posts

I've been to the Ink Pad, and I agree that it's a wonderful little store. Don't let its size fool you. They have TONS of stamps. Unfortunately, we are sorely lacking in stamp and scrapbook stores here in NYC. We're getting a Michael's in Pelham, which isn't exactly the city, but close enough for me - especially if it's the newly-designed Michael's. Enjoy your visit.

(Now, if you're into beading, there are lots of stores in mid-town Manhattan.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you everyone for the advice!! I may just take a trip down there. I have been to Lee's before and loved that but was shocked that with all the things available on any given block that there wasn't at least one store in Midtown!! Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 02:18 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my very first stamp at The Ink Pad. What NYC lacks in scrap/craft stores, it MORE than makes up for with The Ink Pad, LOL! I feel lucky to have it close by. I've been in bigger stamp stores when in other cities/towns, but nothing compares to The Ink Pad.

On another note, NYC has great ***RIBBON*****!!!!! Head on down to around 35th and 6th Ave. right near Macys. There you will find several giant bead stores and scattered between them are some amazing trim stores with GORGEOUS ribbon!!!! NOT to be missed!!!! LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 04:35 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Oh you are so right. NYC has awesome shops with great ribbons and embelishments (unusual).
I love going to NYC it is so fun. I was surprised though to see that the ink pad is the only stamp store. No, scrapbooking stores either.
It is worth the trip to go to the ink pad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 06:03 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

You are so lucky that you get to go craft shopping in NYC! Jealous!

I'm a Bella Babe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 06:08 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

everyone has this misconception that all of New York City is Manhattan, when there are four other boroughs LOL. in NYC, there are AC Moore's, Michael's, and JoAnn's. As far as i know, none are in Manhattan, though.
i think all 3 are in Staten Island, but not necessarily near each other. Queens has an ACMoore and Michael's about 6 blocks from each other (on Woodhaven Blvd and Union Turnpike (AC) and on Woodhaven Blvd and Metropolitan Ave. (Mikes)).
you can take the A train to Rockaway Blvd, and then the Q11 to Woodhaven Blvd and Margaret Place. or you can take the G, V, or R train to Slattery Plaza/Woodhaven Blvd (Queens Center Mall) and take the Q11.
there's also a Michael's at the Northern Blvd stop on the G, V, and R.
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 06:08 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

It isn't a stamp store, but for all sorts of crafty goodness, you should tryTinsel Trading, too! I haven't been, but my sweet hubby has! (poor guy - I'm a lucky girl!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I will be in NYC next week and plan to visit The Ink Pad. I have been there before and know that it is worth a visit again. The Tinsel Trading Company looks intriguing so I will make sure to pop in there as well.

Thanks for all the info ladies...keep the ideas coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by laura6View Post
everyone has this misconception that all of New York City is Manhattan, when there are four other boroughs LOL. in NYC, there are AC Moore's, Michael's, and JoAnn's. As far as i know, none are in Manhattan, though.
i think all 3 are in Staten Island, but not necessarily near each other. Queens has an ACMoore and Michael's about 6 blocks from each other (on Woodhaven Blvd and Union Turnpike (AC) and on Woodhaven Blvd and Metropolitan Ave. (Mikes)).
you can take the A train to Rockaway Blvd, and then the Q11 to Woodhaven Blvd and Margaret Place. or you can take the G, V, or R train to Slattery Plaza/Woodhaven Blvd (Queens Center Mall) and take the Q11.
there's also a Michael's at the Northern Blvd stop on the G, V, and R.
-laura s
Hi sorry - I didn't mean to leave out the other boroughs but this trip I am going to Manhatten....I am fortunate to have an AC Moore, Mike's and JoAnn's all within 15 minutes of me. I was looking for something more along the specialty side not that I don't love my LSS' but since I am going to be there thought I might find something different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I've also been to the Ink Pad on a trip to NYC a few years ago, and I heard about it here at SCS! I'd love to go to Tinsel Trading too. I read about it in a mag called Where Women Create, and then a friend of mine was supposed to go...she didn't. I was really hoping for a review. Since I live on the other side of the country, I don't get to the east coast much. DH is from CT, so we do go once in a while. On our next trip, I'm definitely stopping at both stores!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 05:17 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennelfView Post
It isn't a stamp store, but for all sorts of crafty goodness, you should tryTinsel Trading, too!
I need to plan another visit to NYC so I can go to this store! It looks like a lot of fun stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 06:30 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I just checked out the Tinsel Trading web site - it does look like fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 140 Likes on 55 Posts

Another Ink Pad lover here! When I went to NYC with my BFF for two days in '07, we didn't make it but when I had the opportunity two weeks later to go to Philly with DH, I jumped at the chance and made it a point to take the train to Manhattan just so that I could go to The Ink Pad (#1 goal among doing things GF & I didn't get to do.) LOVE IT! I fell in love with A Muse Artstamps and I dropped a huge wad in there. It definitely spoiled me for other stamp stores. I was in Chicago a couple of weeks ago and was telling one of the ladies manning one of the stores how I've been in larger rs stores but it always seems like they're wasting space. They have all this room and not near the amount of stuff that the Ink Pad does. I've got to get back there. I'd love to go with one of my stamping buddies cause only a rubbah sister could appreciate it like I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's also a store on W. 18th St. called "Paper Presentation" that sells scrapbooking and card-making supplies. The address is 23 W. 18th St. (I believe it's off of 5th or 6th Ave.) Their phone # is 212/463-7035. And right next door to them is a really neat store that specializes in ALL kinds of papers, specialty and other (can't remember the name!) HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Paper Presentation is really a NYC kind of store. I love it there. I'm probably going to buy paper for my wedding invitations there. They have a small selection of stamps, but a bunch of embellishments. Also, they have a big selection of boxes and tins suitable for favors and goodie bags etc., in a bunch of sizes and colors.

Right across the street from them is a cupcake bakery. That's fun too!
Reply With Quote Likes