Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   New In Colors...my first look (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/new-colors-my-first-look-633756/)

fionna51 06-03-2020 04:26 PM

New In Colors...my first look

I received my In Color paper last night and just had a first look at the colors, comparing them to past colors and which they look good with side by side.

Bumblebee
Looks nice with Dijon or Daffodil
Very much less green than Hello Honey
A bit lighter than Crushed Curry

Cinnamon Cider
Nothing like it
A very golden or orangey brownish color
It's pretty :)

Just Jade
On the blue side
Looks great with Macaron and Spruce
Lighter than both but not much grayed

Magenta Madness
Looks great with Berry Burst
Pretty close to Pink Passion, just a slight difference

Misty Moonlight
A grayed blue
Definitely NOT greenish
Blends nice with old Brocade and Bordering blues
Also plays well with Seaside Spray

That's my first view.

Just for what it is worth to you (and to me!)---I have purchased the equipment to analyze colors and will be going through all the colors and evaluating them for Hue, Saturation, and Lightness. I like to work with the Munsell Color System and that works best for me. However I will also take note of other evaluations (RGB, CMYK, and Hex). I will post the results in my thread over on Downloads/Lists and Charts. But that will take me a bit to get through it all. Keep an eye out for it!

pattydeon 06-03-2020 05:20 PM

Diane. Thanks for all you do keeping us color-informed

TeeGeeDee 06-03-2020 07:50 PM

I've said it before and it remains true ... you are one of the gems that make SCS so awesome!

gregzgurl 06-04-2020 04:46 AM

Totally agree with both previous sentiments... ;)

rockybeta 06-04-2020 06:24 AM

Look forward to your color descriptions every year. Thank you so much!

Charlene78 06-06-2020 05:39 PM

can you compare bumblebee to mango? thanks!

pepperann 06-06-2020 07:28 PM

I've been waiting for your post! I always find your observations spot on and love the comparisons. :)

fionna51 06-07-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlene78 (Post 21960138)
can you compare bumblebee to mango? thanks!

While the color intensity of the two colors is similar, Mango is a lot more orange.

Just for information sake...

Yellows are the smallest portion of a real color wheel. When I say a "real color wheel", that means it is based on both the wavelength and true complimentary colors. True complementary colors, when mixed, create a truly neutral gray, not something "brownish". It takes only a few degrees (out of 360 degrees) of movement from a "pure" yellow to see a noticeable green or orange color cast.

Maybe that's why there are only a few yellows in any large collection of papers/inks from any company.

Charlene78 06-07-2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51 (Post 21960434)
While the color intensity of the two colors is similar, Mango is a lot more orange.

Just for information sake...

Yellows are the smallest portion of a real color wheel. When I say a "real color wheel", that means it is based on both the wavelength and true complimentary colors. True complementary colors, when mixed, create a truly neutral gray, not something "brownish". It takes only a few degrees (out of 360 degrees) of movement from a "pure" yellow to see a noticeable green or orange color cast.

Maybe that's why there are only a few yellows in any large collection of papers/inks from any company.

Wow thanks so much. You rock

ckstampcrazy 06-09-2020 08:16 AM

I love this! Thx a ton!!! I wish I would have read this BEFORE I ordered!!!! Now I want bumblebee!!!! Lol! I knew i should have just ordered it. I was afraid it was too close to hello honey.

floridaperson 06-09-2020 09:38 AM

Fiona, you have opened my eyes to a whole new world of info. I had no idea there was equipment that can analyze card stock colors. I agree Cinnamon Cider is not like anything I've seen in SU before. I was hoping it would be like Baked Brown Sugar, which I missed out on, so I know I'll enjoy CC whenever my order stops "picking" and gets shipped!

hairem 06-09-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckstampcrazy (Post 21961176)
I love this! Thx a ton!!! I wish I would have read this BEFORE I ordered!!!! Now I want bumblebee!!!! Lol! I knew i should have just ordered it. I was afraid it was too close to hello honey.

That's what I thought based on some photos I'd seen comparing Bumblebee to about 6 other SU yellows! Colour is so hard to capture in photos...depends on the camera and then on the computer monitor where the photo is being viewed. Sigh! Might have to breakdown and purchase the set of in colours...

shirlb19 06-09-2020 11:08 AM

Thanks for posting this, Diane. So very helpful!

Shirl

Margscardcrazy 06-09-2020 10:06 PM

Thanks Diane, I'm about to purchase the mixed A4 pack and then I go through all my colours.
If the new colours are even close to what I already have I sub what I have for the new colours, ie Brilliant Blue was close to Blueberry Bushel, Lovely Lace was close to Highland Heather etc. One whole wall of my craft room is taken up with A4 card stock each colour in it's own draw unless they are retired in colours I've doubled or tripled some of them but I'm running out of space lol.
I have stopped buying stamp pads (got no where to store them) but I still get the In Color Stampin' Write markers. ;)

Doris B 06-10-2020 06:57 AM

Thanks! love your descriptions, do you do RGB's too?

aztk 06-10-2020 07:24 AM

THANKS!

Thanks so much for the comparison. I really appreciate it : )
Teresa

ttemby 06-11-2020 04:47 PM

I compared Bumblebee to Hello Honey and it is so very close! This gives me a chance to use up my Hello Honey. Yay!

Doris B 06-11-2020 05:48 PM

Does Cinnamon look like the Saddle brown stazon?

ttemby 06-12-2020 04:54 AM

Yes, Doris, Cinnamon Cider is pretty close to the Saddle Brown Stazon, in my opinion.

fionna51 06-12-2020 11:14 AM

Bumble Bee is SO close to Crushed Curry. But the color is not so "in your face"...not so intense. But the hue itself is really close.

Marg, I do much the same. My storage space is limited so I had to decide what I really used colored paper for and which colors were important to me. SU has come out with 162 colors (doesn't count whites, vanillas, etc) over the years. I chose color groupings that I can use with diecuts. I kept those inks so that I could color coordinate. Then I made a bunch of cubes in various greens so that I could stamp in a larger variety of greens (leaves and such).

I don't buy stamp pads unless they are in a color I decide to keep. I do buy the markers though because I can color a stamp with them. I may even reconsider that choice.